• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Troykv

Smash Master
So, this game is called; "Super Smash Bros Ultimate"

Now, what would define Ultimate for you?
I'll give some rules for this game.

You are to add up to "10" Nintendo characters/first n' seond party characters.
And you can have up to "5" 3rd parties.

Now, it's to personalize what would for "you" make the Smash from where it currently is, to the "Ultimate".
Which characters are left, who are realizable still that is.

I'll write mine, but in the mean time, I'd love to hear from your perspectives.
Try to reason why they'd be a good fit to make it your ultimate.
So... My ultimate... Well, the choices I would do depends of if I'm able to do a bit biased choice (because right now I'm not able to justified as a part of a Ultimate Experience)

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
1st/2nd party:

1) Isabelle
2) Mimikyu
3) Elma
4) Excite Biker
5) King K. Rool
6) Dixie Kong
7) Bandana Dee
8) Tingle
9) Isaac
10) Ashley

Second Party:

1) Tails
2) Geno
3) Ray Man
4) Simon Belmont
5) Steve

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
So... My ultimate... Well, the choices I would do depends of if I'm able to do a bit biased choice (because right now I'm not able to justified as a part of a Ultimate Experience)
I think leaning into the bias for this one makes your answers more interesting (or maybe I just told myself that because of my choices)

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I brought up Drayden or Iris as they are in the exact same spot that you said Hakamo-o/Kommo-o was in for relevance: An important encounter prior to meeting the legendary pokemon of the game and defeating the evil team. The totem pokemon are of equal significance to Hakamo-o/Kommo-o. Compared to the three Pokemon I mentioned:
Decidueye:
  • Starter Pokemon (Sakurai may have gotten it's art early)
  • Only new playable fighter in Pokken Tournament DX (The rest were from the arcade version)
  • Unique Z-Move in Sun/Moon (meaning Sakurai would have known of this earlier)
  • Unique Archer/Ghost Moveset
  • Some merchandising from Pokemon Company
    • Prominence in TCG
Mimikyu:
Lycanroc:
  • Had two forms in Sun/Moon, had another form added in Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon
  • Ash's Ace Pokemon in the anime, like Pikachu, Charizard, and Greninja
  • Unique Z-Move in Ultra Sun/Ultra Move
  • Merchandising from Pokemon Company
    • Prominence in TCG
  • Unique Rock-Type/Quadruped Moveset
Kommo-o/Hakamo-o:
  • Psuedo-Legendary (means little - see Metagross)
  • Prominent encounter in game
  • Unique Z-Move in Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon
  • No significant appearance in anime
  • 1 item of merchandise shared between entire evolutionary line
  • Offers little unique not already covered by Charizard (Dragon) or other physical fighters (Captain Falcon, Mario, etc.)
As you can see, it's points of prominence are either shared or out-staged by other more prominent candidates. Regardless, I think Gen 7 is going to get skipped like Gen 5 and we'll see a Gen 8 rep as DLC.
Alright, now you have me convinced, though that Iris and Drayden argument is still worthless. That's like saying every pokemon that starred in a movie should be in the smash bros which they obviously shouldn't. I was just making the point that Hakamo-o and Kommo-o do have significance in the game which you said otherwise at first. I never said they were more significant than Iris or Drayden or anyone else with a similar role in pokemon. Anyway the rest of the stuff you talked about was convincing so good job.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Kind of strange that a lot of people are still holding out for Waluigi. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Waluigi and it would be Sakurai's crowning moment of trolling, but I feel like it would open such a can of worms if it wound up being a prank. I do think it was strange that he wasn't in the demo though but characters like Knuckles and Krystal were front and center. I dunno. I say make Waluigi the final DLC character, have Sakurai announce his retirement from Smash right after, and watch the internet collectively **** itself in utter confusion.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Kind of strange that a lot of people are still holding out for Waluigi. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Waluigi and it would be Sakurai's crowning moment of trolling, but I feel like it would open such a can of worms if it wound up being a prank. I do think it was strange that he wasn't in the demo though but characters like Knuckles and Krystal were front and center. I dunno. I say make Waluigi the final DLC character, have Sakurai announce his retirement from Smash right after, and watch the internet collectively **** itself in utter confusion.
I can't believe Waluigi killed Sakurai.

eltacoenojado

Smash Journeyman
1st party:
1. K Rool
2. Dixie
3. Bandana Dee
4. Isaac

3rd party:
1. Rayman
2. Simon Belmont

With all the cut characters back and Ridley confirmed, there's not much left that I want!

Graizen

Smash Champion
QUESTION:

Do you think there is a possibility we can see some SNK character in Smash Bros Switch?
Many SNK games are constantly being released to the Switch, including even an exclusive fighting game (SNK Heroines).
What would you think of seeing a character like KOF's Kyo entering Smash Bros. Switch to fight Ryu?

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I say make Waluigi the final DLC character, have Sakurai announce his retirement from Smash right after, and watch the internet collectively **** itself in utter confusion.
I can see it now... at long last, this legendary image becomes reality...

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
QUESTION:

Do you think there is a possibility we can see some SNK character in Smash Bros Switch?
Many SNK games are constantly being released to the Switch, including even an exclusive fighting game (SNK Heroines).
What would you think of seeing a character like KOF's Kyo entering Smash Bros. Switch to fight Ryu?
SNK H isn't an exclusivity deal, it's a quarantine.

I think there's a tiny chance of Rock Howard, but even then almost certainly not.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Chrom as an echo fighter of Ike would make a painful amount of sense, especially with Sakurai caving on his nearly two decades hardline stance of Daisy not being important enough for Smash aside from an alt. I could see them doing things like this to be cheeky, just like how regular Toad is deconfirmed but Indiana Toad is still pretty likely because sometimes Sakurai likes to split hairs with a damn diamond cutter. Not a fan but I will admit Chrom popping up in a trailer and saying something along the lines of "I told you I'd get my chance another day" would be pretty smirk worthy.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
I can definitely see chrom getting in as an echo for ike. Same can be said for shadow getting in as a sonic echo

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Could Chrom be an echo fighter of Roy?

I don't know squat about Fire Emblem, but just asking out of curiosity.

Troykv

Smash Master
1st Party

1.- Bandana Dee; because he's popular and has a very nice niche with him
2.- King K. Rool because he deserves to appear alongside with other Nintendo Icons, and he has a very potential for his moveset.
3.- Elma, I think she would gives us something very special for the roster with the overall way she is designed (I would like to see more moveset, but I would like to see her in the game).
4.- Captain Toad, he essencially represent another Nintendo Icon, and has a very cool game to represent (also, put him a Toadette Alt please, I would play as her always).
5.- Dixie Kong, more Nintendo Icon, that 4th DK character the franchise deserves, I'm not that fond of her, but she kind of deserves it.
6.- Lip, I think she should be our legacy character this time
7.- Isaac, Golden Sun it's a franchise that under other circunstances would have get a chance in Smash, such a shame we was overshadow.
8.- Springman, obligatory new IP character, also, having long arms is fun.
9.- Rex & Pyra, such a breakout duo that it would gives us something very interesting in the franchise, at least gameplay-wise.
10.- Micaiah, my biased choice, but the one will try to defend everytime someone asks me why I want her in the game beyond just my attachment.

3rd Party

1.- Simon Belmont, the representative of Castlevania/Akumajo Dracula, one of the most iconic game franchises.
2.- Rayman, kind of iconicic and related with Nintendo Story thanks to Ubisoft's colaborations
3.- Crash Bandicoot, such an icon, known character

I don't have idea which to pick for the next spots; but I'll mention Sora, KOS-MOS, Geno and Heihaichi as honorable mentions.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Just curious about one thing.

Who here thinks Ultimate won't get DLC just because it's supposed to be the "ultimate" version of Smash?

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
QUESTION:

I feel like it's a possibility, at the very least; SNK's put out more classic games on the Switch than Nintendo has, and between Dead or Alive 5 and Tekken 7, they're certainly no stranger to adding their characters into other games as guests.

However, if we got an SNK character, I'd prefer Terry Bogard, partially because he'd have such a strong contrast with Ryu and partially because I'd hope that they would keep his hilariously cheesy Engrish. (they did for Geese in Tekken 7, to some extent)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Could Chrom be an echo fighter of Roy?

I don't know squat about Fire Emblem, but just asking out of curiosity.
Ike had a Chrom costume in SSB4 and Aether is one of Chrom's signature moves if that tells you anything. It's not 1 to 1 but it's close enough that I don't think people would be too terribly upset if it happened.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Just curious about one thing.

Who here thinks Ultimate won't get DLC just because it's supposed to be the "ultimate" version of Smash?
I've entertained the idea of that. While I find it possible and wouldn't be shocked, I think that the game is coming out early enough into the Switch's life cycle that not doing some would be a mistake. This is, in my opinion, the single best game Nintendo could possibly make DLC for.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If I wanted Chrom (and more Awakening pandering), I'd want him to be a Roy echo.
Remember his sword is supposed to be the same size and weight as Lucina's.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I've entertained the idea of that. While I find it possible and wouldn't be shocked, I think that the game is coming out early enough into the Switch's life cycle that not doing some would be a mistake. This is, in my opinion, the single best game Nintendo could possibly make DLC for.
Well, I seriously doubt it'll happen because anyone using the game's name as "evidence" is wrong for one reason.

The game is being worked on in Japan, so naturally, the Japanese name would be what matters the most in this context, right?

Well, in Japan, Ultimate is called Darainto Smash Brothers Special.

The translated name was simply because "Special" didn't really seem as cool as "Ultimate" for the localization teams.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
QUESTION:

I'm serious

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Waluigi isn't on the Assist Trophy listing on the website

I'm aware I'm playing devil's advocate

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Well, I seriously doubt it'll happen because anyone using the game's name as "evidence" is wrong for one reason.

The game is being worked on in Japan, so naturally, the Japanese name would be what matters the most in this context, right?

Well, in Japan, Ultimate is called Darainto Smash Brothers Special.

The translated name was simply because "Special" didn't really seem as cool as "Ultimate" for the localization teams.
My reasoning behind it isn't as simple as "because it's called Ultimate" though. What we've seen already consists of ~80 stages and 68 individual characters. That's A LOT of content being crammed into the base game. The game doesn't NEED DLC any way you try to spin it. I think the only reason we'll get DLC is because Smash is a cash cow.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm curious if anybody thinks there's a chance we could get an echo character from a different series than the base character he or she is copying. For example, I think the Black Knight from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance would make a pretty cool Ganondorf echo. I'm not really expecting anything like this to happen but it would certainly give more options if they weren't restricted to the same series.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
QUESTION:

It's a non-zero chance in my mind.

And if Kyo got in?

PyraMaxNut.jpg

I know people want Terry, but I think it's only appropriate Kyo got in because... well, you know.

Pakky

Smash Hero
... I did not know
Tower of Druaga

had an anime...

Gil was a Mii Fighter costume

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This game is going to have DLC. Literally every major Switch game since launch has had rolling updates, paid DLC, or both. I can't even begin to imagine the absurd amount of money they made from SSB4's DLC so there's no way they would pass up that up. It might not be as much or last as long but with inevitable patches, it'll practically be a given.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I was checking out the press kit for Smash Bros, and found that Shulk was the only character who didn't get a full render. I'm not even the biggest fan of Xenoblade, but that hurt me.

Here it is for whoever hasn't seen it yet:
Shulk_SSBU.png

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
SNK?

Mai Shiranui or bust

Or Marco because Metal Slug is great.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
My reasoning behind it isn't as simple as "because it's called Ultimate" though. What we've seen already consists of ~80 stages and 68 individual characters. That's A LOT of content being crammed into the base game. The game doesn't NEED DLC any way you try to spin it. I think the only reason we'll get DLC is because Smash is a cash cow.
Not just the fact that Smash itself is a system-selling cash cow, but also the fact that most, if not all the Nintendo games on Switch that aren't ports have DLC in some fashion.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
If I wanted Chrom (and more Awakening pandering), I'd want him to be a Roy echo.
Remember his sword is supposed to be the same size and weight as Lucina's.
Yeah, it's the same sword after all. It would be really weird if he was an Ike echo and swung Falchion around like it was a heavy two handed sword. It wouldn't make much sense.

Then again, Sakurai's takeaway from Chrom was that he was similar to Ike, which is weird because he's similar to Lucina and it's a plot point that they have the same fighting style.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Smash not receiving DLC? Not going to happen. They might take a small break from creating new content, but there will definitely be a DLC cycle down the line in 2019.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
What 10 alternate outfits do you want to see?
  1. Boshi for Yoshi
  2. Dry Bowser for Bowser (would strongly prefer if he was an echo, I at least want him to be given the Alph treatment and have the announcer call him by "Dry Bowser")
  3. Shadow Queen for Peach
  4. Bowser's wedding outfit
  5. Fusion Suit Samus
  6. Metroid Prime Samus
  7. Classic outfit Daisy
  8. Shadow Dedede for King Dedede
  9. Shadow Mewtwo for Mewtwo
  10. Luigi in Peach's dress
I know that. I'm just saying it would be weird to see Waluigi grouped with every other Mario character except Wario. It makes absolutely no sense to put Waluigi in the WarioWare series, but it also doesn't feel right to not group him with Wario.
Aren't the characters gonna be listed by number anyway?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Yeah, it's the same sword after all. It would be really weird if he was an Ike echo and swung Falchion around like it was a heavy two handed sword. It wouldn't make much sense.

Then again, Sakurai's takeaway from Chrom was that he was similar to Ike, which is weird because he's similar to Lucina and it's a plot point that they have the same fighting style.
What if his moves were faster but weaker versions of Ike's, or is that too different for an echo?

Even then, it doesn't explain why he's more similar to Ike then Lucina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom