• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Untouch

Smash Master
I don't want to remove Jigglypuff, but I think she is the only character that could be removed.
Ness was going to be replaced with Lucas in Melee because Earthbound 64 was supposed to be released, but they didn't, they would have kept an Earthbound character in. I think Ness is safe there.
Jigglypuff though, was close to being cut in Brawl.
They'll never cut Falcon, he's way too iconic.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Reminder that the only reason there hasn't been a new F-Zero game is literally because Nintendo can't think of a gimmick to make a new one, rather than just focus on making a damn good racing game.

Polar Bair

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jac398
No. Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I believe the original 12 should be untouchable. Even if Smash reboots down the line, OG12 should never be cut, but rather always be the base that's built up from.
This isn't an unpopular opinion but it is arguably one that's detrimental to the series.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It's possible this banner (and the other stuff) is for early marketing to take place after the next direct, and Incineroar plus the third echo may take place later.

The download card in Japan and the box coming out Nov. 2nd are good examples of this.

There's still the person needing access to all these materials or the company, so while you can say it was fabricated, it could have also been legitimate.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Quality over Quanitity, would you rather have a bunch of female characters nobody ever heard of for the sake of a quota? Would be rather token.. Theres already Samus, Zelda, Peach, Bayo.. Some of the greatest female characters in gaming and also Peach.
Okay guys, no more newcomers, we already have over 70 of them, quality over quantity, we don't have to add characters for the sake of it.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Real talk, Mach Rider being male or female is a dealbreaker for me if they happen to get in. Hypermuscular dudes? We have plenty of those already, it's been done to death both in and out of Smash so it's boring already.
Hypermuscular ladies? ****, we couldn't even get buff Samus because Nintendo is a bunch of COWARDS, give me some ladies with muscles that kill.
Ah I see why you want Mach Rider female now, no need to say anymore we don't need to know what youre into.

Game2018

Banned via Warnings
Yes because Captain Rainbow is totally canon to half a dozen other franchises.
Also, scrapped content means nothing; it was scrapped for a reason. Did Sora visit Toy Story prior to Kingdom Hearts 3 simply because a Toy Story world was scrapped for the first game?
The fact that they depicted her as female is saying something. Every character is the same gender as their canon counterparts, so there's no reason to assume they change Mach Rider alone's gender.

Untouch

Smash Master
It's possible this banner (and the other stuff) is for early marketing to take place after the next direct, and Incineroar plus the third echo may take place later.

The download card in Japan and the box coming out Nov. 2nd are good examples of this.

There's still the person needing access to all these materials or the company, so while you can say it was fabricated, it could have also been legitimate.
I have a very hard time believing we're getting 5 characters in a month, but even MORE after that?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm definitely not saying ONLY the OG12 matter, but simply that by virtue of being in from the very beginning, people still know and love these characters. Captian Falcon, Ness, and Jigglypuff are a part of modern pop culture by virtue of their perfect attendance records in Smash, even if their series have gone dormant, or they're not as prominent in them as they once were.
I'd argue a lot more people played Melee and Brawl and care about the characters who have perfect attendance from them (:ultmarth::ultpit::ultgnw::ultmetaknight: etc) too.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Reading up apparently Nintendo of Europe has its headquarters located in the UK.

Is there a reason they'd outsource work to a French company?

KMDP

Smash Legend
Tbh, female or not, I play a character if I like it and is cool. Bonus point for the cute design. Big fan of ZSSamus cos' she's badass, for example, and fun to play. Also a big fan of Zelda, and her Between world design, damn I want to hug her<3. But I also like to play Marth <3. I think the best way to give the characters justice is to not differenciate gender, but appreciate the character for what they are : characters.

Just dropping that there to add for the "mach rider" discussion, it's silly, in my opinion of course.

Btw, am french and this whole grinch leak is driving me nuts. I'm aboard the real train, but with some doubt.
I just checked your profile (I like checking profiles sometimes).

You're literally five days older than me. Neat.
Impossible. Dude's snapchat is either deleted or never existed, and there's no way we can (or should) dig into his personal life.
I'd err on the side of "deleted".

That being said, yes, we shouldn't pry into the man's personal life over a video game.
Quality over Quanitity, would you rather have a bunch of female characters nobody ever heard of for the sake of a quota? Would be rather token.. Theres already Samus, Zelda, Peach, Bayo.. Some of the greatest female characters in gaming and also Peach.
We need Lara Croft and Tifa Lockhart to finish the "greatest girls in gaming" quota.

I will not budge on this.
(I'm mostly kidding.)

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Yeah, but honestly, if you asked people on the street who they recognize, you'll likely get Jigglypuff more than Ness.

It's not only the anime presence; it's the song that came with that as well as her being from one of the biggest franchises in the gaming industry.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

This does make some sense, but then the question becomes, again, why Incineroar? Like, you've got all of these hype-inducing additions to the game (Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo, Isaac, Geno, Simon Belmont, etc.) and you end it with Incineroar of all characters?

Unless they finish it with Sora and have Incineroar before that. That'd make some sense.

Untouch

Smash Master
Reading up apparently Nintendo of Europe has its headquarters located in the UK.

Maybe they knew something like this would happen and wanted to upset TWO french companies?

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I just checked your profile (I like checking profiles sometimes).

You're literally five days older than me. Neat.

I'd err on the side of "deleted".

That being said, yes, we shouldn't pry into the man's personal life over a video game.

We need Lara Croft and Tifa Lockhart to finish the "greatest girls in gaming" quota.

I will not budge on this.
(I'm mostly kidding.)
What no Chun-li?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
...All the information I'm going by is available to anyone.

I never said he was in every episode but there is a Torracat present now...

Hence why I said look some stuff up.

Now find Deciueye in the anime doing this much and not jobbing super hard.

Find the dusk form or any form of the wolf being a headliner in a movie.

I've been following the Sun and Moon anime very closely. To say Incineroar is getting a huge push in the anime is a huge overstatement. Altogether, it's gotten in a movie and four anime episodes (Two of which barely even focus on it).

If we're going strictly off the anime, Lycanroc is getting the hardest push hands down, and that's not even including the first two forms. Aside from making regular appearances, Dusk/Rockruff has been the center of attention for two of Ash's Grand Trials, one of which was exclusively Dusk Lycanroc. It also has a rivalry with Gladion's Midnight (the former being a key rival to Ash) and it has its own special Z-move.

And then we get scenes like this.

I think there's still time for Incineroar to get some additional development in the last year of the anime, but I have a hard time seeing it surpass what Lycanroc has accomplished so far, especially when Rowlet and Eevee will be there to further divide the screentime.

I know the anime is typically an indicator of who gets in Smash, but I'm starting to think this might be an exception.

Last edited:

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
Attention Shadow Fans, can I have your attention!

If this leak is to be believed, and Shadow is in Smash, would you possibly support Tails as a DLC character? I don't care if you believe it or not, but would you be willing to support the idea?

Asking for understanding a possible situation.

KMDP

Smash Legend

Because it costs money to ship things to France?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Yeah, but honestly, if you asked people on the street who they recognize, you'll likely get Jigglypuff more than Ness.

It's not only the anime presence; it's the song that came with that as well as her being from one of the biggest franchises in the gaming industry.
You're comparing a Gen 1 Pokemon who was huge during the heights of Pokemon against a character who is only well-known because of Smash. Not a particularly fair comparison.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
A lot less dense than one needs to be to think that being one of the two Pokemon used by the antagonist makes you "the headliner" of a movie, or thinking that one of the most heavily used promotional Pokemon who is Ash's actual current ace in the anime and received a special unique form ala Ash-Greninja "doesn't matter" at all.
Okay so Chairzard having a rivalry with Inceneiroar throught out the flim only to beat him in the end means nothing? Alright.

Also any Rockruff with Own Tempo will turn into the Dusk form. In no way is this similar to Ash Greninja which had the anime character "ASH" as the owner in the games. The Battle Bond Greninja (Which is Ash Greninja in the games) cannot be bred, unlike the Rockruff with Own Temp which can be bred.

Long story short the wolf ain't special

murdokdracul

"What do you mean you support Yoshimitsu?!"
NNID
murdokdracul
3DS FC
2836-0188-2561
Switch FC
SW-5151-9208-7814
You have to remove 1/4th of the whole roster randomly to get your most wanted. IS IT WORTH IT?
ONLY if the original 12 are untouchable, yes. I need Kirby and Samus at minimum. I need Marth, too, but chances are after the cull there would be at least one version of him left.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Doesn’t the Melee trophy refer to Mach Rider as a he? Seems like Sakurai has made it clear what he thinks Mach Rider’s gender is (and what it’ll be in Smash)

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Don't you disrespect my girl Peach.

She's arguably contributed and done more than Zelda, at the least.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird

If this leak is to be believed, and Shadow is in Smash, would you possibly support Tails as a DLC character? I don't care if you believe it or not, but would you be willing to support the idea?

OF COURSE. Tails is one my most wanted, I've already been supporting him as DLC!

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord

Yes, and not just Tails either.

Don't you disrespect my girl Peach.

She's arguably contributed and done more than Zelda, at the least.
Three Words, Mario Party AI

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Implying there aren't quality female videogame characters to add, on the third party side Jill Valentine, Chun-Li and Lara Croft jump to mind.

Seriously this arguement implies people are suggesting Villager 3 from the background of Castle Town in Ocarina. There are quality female characters still not in Smash.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Doesn’t the Smash trophy refer to Mach Rider as a he? Seems like Sakurai has made it clear what he thinks Mach Rider’s gender is (and what it’ll be in Smash)
Nah it's all a conspiracy fam. It's just the man trying to keep our waifus down. /s

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Reminder that the only reason there hasn't been a new F-Zero game is literally because Nintendo can't think of a gimmick to make a new one, rather than just focus on making a damn good racing game.
Which is really stupid....

For a new F-Zero game: Online Mode, new tracks, Track Editor = BAM. New game.

KMDP

Smash Legend
What no Chun-li?
Okay, I'll budge just enough to include Chun-Li.
I forget about Chun-Li sometimes because I'm not a Street Fighter fan (I mean, I'm not a Tomb Raider fan either, but Lara was literally everywhere in the late 90s).

osby

Smash Obsessed

I love Sonic, but I feel like it would be an overkill.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Ah I see why you want Mach Rider female now, no need to say anymore we don't need to know what youre into.
I don’t see the problem with Mach Rider being female, tbh.
She’d help differentiate from all the characters aesthetically, especially if Sakurai redesigns her a bit like Pit, and “confirming” her as a woman would break her away from Captain Falcon and other similarly hyper-masculine characters.

I just think it would add a different archetype into Smash and it’d be pretty dope.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Doesn’t the Smash trophy refer to Mach Rider as a he? Seems like Sakurai has made it clear what he thinks Mach Rider’s gender is (and what it’ll be in Smash)
Like how K.rool's Cousin is Barron K. Roolinstein according to Melee? :secretkpop:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom