• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I guess it kind of is like telling me to stop being a furry.
What does your hobby have to do with my personality? r/Xenoblade is seriously on that Rex for Smash train right now, have you seen the place?

I shouldn't Gloat sorry but i still find it funny how Sakurai tricked almost everybody and Deconfimied almost everybody and make the Grinch leak fake
Yeah it was pretty funny actually. Not for those who were actually just being hopeful but to those who rode it hope and **** on everybody along the way preaching to the top with their Grinch avatars and Grinch signatures.

Funny how they've all but come back after it blew up in Incineroar's flames.

D

Deleted member

I shouldn't Gloat sorry but i still find it funny how Sakurai tricked almost everybody and Deconfimied almost everybody and make the Grinch leak fake
It was kind of bittersweet, yeah. On one hand, it was a little funny in the way you're saying, and at least we still get to see some characters in the game at all. But it was sad too.

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
  1. Seriously? Piranha Plant as a playable fighter? I prefer Bandana Dee than this. Renember that Poison (an enemy from Streets of Rage) was included as a playable fighter in a Capcom game (i don't know what game) ? This all over again.
I agree, they are both best newcomers.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Sakurai didn't trick anyone or make anything fake. The "leak" was a hoax from the start. So it's the reverse; the hoax tricked people.

But Sakurai said not to expect too many new fighters, and then said that the rate of characters would go down after the Isabelle reveal. He was very clear in setting our expectations. But people would have rather believed "Ah, he's just trolling" instead and set themselves up for disappointment.

D

Deleted member

Now that i think of it, Nintendo promoted Mario Kart 8’s antigravity as a success on game design only possible thanks to the Wii U, when F-Zero had it years before.

False advertisement?
I hope not.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai never tricked anyone though.
We played ourselves.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Both Lloyd and a resident evil character I think have decent chances but that is a rumor at best and more likely nothing to add in favor of their chances.
I know it's a bit of a long shot, but have you gotten any word about the potential for a Mr. Phoenix Wright? Since it's been established that Sakurai has met with Shu Takumi and Hideki Kamiya within the necessary time frame, such could check out.

D

Deleted member

I will finally do it...

For Battletoads Wii. It feels bad to put to waste these many years of wait.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Seeing Arigarmy avatar would be dope to have a Joestar in the game.
(specially Joseph Joestar)
Joseph's on par with my least favorite, but he's still cool. I had an avatar of him actually.

Untitled.png

Feel free to steal it, I ain't using it anytime soon.

EDIT: I found more.

Untitled.png
Untitled.png

Last edited:

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna be real that final direct was disappointing like Just Ken and Incineroar that is it Spirts mode is just meh.They spent way to much time on spirts mode in my opinion they should have have spent more time on world of light. And Saving Ken and Inceraroar for last was kinda of meh like for the final smash direct leave off with a Big Bang you know.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Sakurai did nothing to trick us.

Has MarioTehPlumber come out about whoever made the Grinch leak yet, by the way? Cause it's obvious that he had something to do with it, he clearly did the Chaddondorf post on 4Chan.

D

Deleted member

Wait a second.
@JDCabrera You want Crash in, right? Well... there's a meme version of Crash called Cresh. And if you move around the letters... that almost spells Shrek! Amiibo Doctor Amiibo Doctor You know what that means... if Crash gets in, Shrek does too, and according to FalcoXP FalcoXP , Shrek being confirmed would confirm Zoe in the process!!!

D

Deleted member

I prefer Spirits over Smash Tour.

At least Spirits has more interactivity, and the option to play on your own without three annoying CPU (CPUs?)

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I'm gonna be real that final direct was disappointing like Just Ken and Incineroar that is it Spirts mode is just meh.They spent way to much time on spirts mode in my opinion they should have have spent more time on world of light. And Saving Ken and Inceraroar for last was kinda of meh like for the final smash direct leave off with a Big Bang you know.
Ending with a bang isn’t exactly Sakurai’s style.

D

Deleted member

Wait a second.
@JDCabrera You want Crash in, right? Well... there's a meme version of Crash called Cresh. And if you move around the letters... that almost spells Shrek! Amiibo Doctor Amiibo Doctor You know what that means... if Crash gets in, Shrek does too, and according to FalcoXP FalcoXP , Shrek being confirmed would confirm Zoe in the process!!!
Holy Wumpa fruit with Aku Aku’s feathers.
This is one onion of a twist!

Prepare the female Bandicoot and bring me the crystals, because someone will be doing a party in my swamp and Donkey won’t be in it.

D

Deleted member

AND IT ALL STARTED WITH A BIG BANG!
(which is actually applicable in this case)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Did Melee ever get its own reveals? It's last reveal was probably it's "bang". And I'm feeling it's :icsmelee:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Did Melee ever get its own reveals? It's last reveal was probably it's "bang". And I'm feeling it's :icsmelee:
Nah.
Ice Climbers was one of the first newcomers to be revealed.
Mostly because the first look of the game was the intro itself.

D

Deleted member

IIRC Sheik was not playable in Melee's first demo because they hadn't revealed Zelda yet. Otherwise, the entire starting roster was revealed when they announced the game.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Has MarioTehPlumber come out about whoever made the Grinch leak yet, by the way? Cause it's obvious that he had something to do with it, he clearly did the Chaddondorf post on 4Chan.
hold up, am I reading this correctly?

You mean to tell me that THAT GUY was the one responsible for the absolute comedic masterpiece that was the Chaddondorf post?

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Man, I remember playing Melee back in the day and not having access to the internet and not knowing why the heck Luigi would appear sometimes in Adventure Mode. It wasn't until I went somewhere with internet and printed out either GameWinners or GameFAQs cheats that I knew what was going on.

I hope we get some weird stuff like that in Ultimate.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Man, I remember playing Melee back in the day and not having access to the internet and not knowing why the heck Luigi would appear sometimes in Adventure Mode. It wasn't until I went somewhere with internet and printed out either GameWinners or GameFAQs cheats that I knew what was going on.

I hope one of Mewtwo's unlock requirements is "play for 20 hours."

D

Deleted member

Alongside regular VS. matches, Adventure Mode will probably be the main way of unlocking fighters. I imagine the amiibo unlock thing is also probably legit, but was simply skipped over in the Direct.

osby

Smash Obsessed

You'll get Spirits randomly, like customs in Smash For. How weird, right?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm assuming that the "streamlined unlocking method" in Smash Ultimate is going by Spirits, but also that you're going to unlock them in order from 1 - 69. Going by footage, you could clearly see Melee newcomers being shown in the first overworld.

So I guess if you'll have to play for a good week if you want everyone. :upsidedown: but that begs the question how will we get ZSS if you unlock Samus first

D

Deleted member

You'll get Spirits randomly, like customs in Smash For. How weird, right?
For the love of all that is good, please don't let duplicates be a thing for Spirits. The RNG in Smash 4 is what ruined custom gear and moves for me. I love the concept, it was just executed so, so poorly...

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Sakurai didn't trick anyone or make anything fake. The "leak" was a hoax from the start. So it's the reverse; the hoax tricked people.

But Sakurai said not to expect too many new fighters, and then said that the rate of characters would go down after the Isabelle reveal. He was very clear in setting our expectations. But people would have rather believed "Ah, he's just trolling" instead and set themselves up for disappointment.
Yeah, this was my biggest issue with this hype cycle. People kept insisting that we shouldn't take Sakurai at face value and extrapolating minor moments of trolling to mean he was trolling us with the roster.

And then I'd get accused of being the hype police and coming off as arrogant and condescending. Perhaps I did, but when Sakurai has made note of a limited number of newcomers on three separate occasions and all you have is "But Sakurai likes to troll people and would NEVER end of such a disappointing note", then you start to sound illogical and a little bit desperate. Sakurai should be taken as the word of God on the game he's working on. He can change his mind game to game and make characters previously thought to be unviable viable in future entries. He does speak the absolute truth on his own game in the time, or at least trolls so minimally that he's revealed the truth in less than a couple of minutes.

Sakurai told us exactly how he approached the game, people expecting a huge number of newcomers after Isabelle were absolutely setting themselves up for disappointment, Grinch leak or not.

D

Deleted member

For the love of all that is good, please don't let duplicates be a thing for Spirits. The RNG in Smash 4 is what ruined custom gear and moves for me. I love the concept, it was just executed so, so poorly...
I think they're going to be like trophies so unfortunately duplicates will probably exist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom