• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
All right, lengthy post, but these are what I consider to have the highest chance of being the DLC characters, based on what I think Nintendo would select for Sakurai.

1. Fire Emblem character

Come on, you all should know already how much this series loves this franchise. Now as for who, I have 3 theoretical characters:

-Azura

Wether you like it or hate it, Fates is the best selling game of the franchise, and along Awakening, has the most exposure. Azura is the deuteragonist of the game, so I could see her getting her way in. That said, she’s the one I would expect the least for a couple of reasons, first being that by this point, a following game in her series was released and a new one has been shown and scheduled for release in just two months, so she’s not so relevant. And second, she’s shown in the website to be a spirit, which I am not 100% sure it can deconfirm anyone since she’s not a “Fighter Spirit” but I’ll keep it in mind.

-Alm &/or Celica

The two of them are relevant due to the latest game yet before Three Houses being a remake from theirs, not just that, but Celica is particularly popular out of the two and having a decent fanbase that want her in (including me). Of course, popularity isn’t everything when it comes to Smash, but with Ultimate being meant to be fanservice: the game, and K. Rool and Ridley being included because of that, can see one of two being one of the selections Nintendo made. Should be noted both are a single spirit as children tho, but like Azura, not sure if 100% deconfirmation.

-Three Houses MC

The most likely in my opinion. I don’t see Nintendo in any way not using Ultimate to promote new games that have been scheduled for release recently. Not just that, Smash has had a history of pulling a FE MC to promote the most recent game at the time, it happened with Roy, with Ike and then Corrin. Many people have been calling on Edelgard, but...I think they’ll pick blue haired protagonist over her.

2. Octolings

This is a pretty obvious one and I am surprised that they aren’t in the base game as Echo Fighters. Splatoon is easily the most popular recent IP that Nintendo has had in years and is obvious it’s gonna continue being one of their main franchises for a while. So, why not include a second representative in the form of the Inklings worst enemies?

Well, I guess that because the draft for Ultimate was done by the time the first game was the one being played and the Octo Expansion didn’t exist, maybe Sakurai didn’t see them as a worthy addition. But now they have exploded in popularity thanks to the Octo Expansion, so I can see Nintendo’s marketing department wanting them in, even if they’re shown as a spirit, which again, not sure if 100% deconfirmation.

3. A third party character

Could be one, could be two, but I can see that one of the third parties involved would want a bigger piece of the cake. Heihachi is a popular option, moreso since Sakurai actually considered him for 3DS/Wii U and Namco hasn’t been shy in lending their properties as co-developers of the game. But Heihachi is still just one of multiple possibilities. I can see for example Jeanne being made a fighter to promote Bayonetta 3 (and yes, once again, I know she’s a spirit) or perhaps, who knows, Noctis due to how SE still loves milking his game to death asking Nintendo to be a selection.

3. Bandana Waddle Dee

Okay, okay, so...This one is actually a more personally wanted from mine. I know many people are asking for Marx and Magolor, and that’s okay, they do have a shot. But Bandana Waddle Dee is simply more prominent than them, and I have a feeling that’s partly what Nintendo would want when selecting characters, that they would be prominent.

Bandana Dee by this point, has become a staple and a main character for the Kirby franchise, appearing in multiple games often in an important role to help Kirby, not to mention he’s a highly requested and recognizable character that is easily marketable. Can see Nintendo placing him on the suggestions with little to no doubt.

5. Xenoblade character

I’ll be honest here, I barely know anything about Xenoblade. Would buy the first one if I had any money...Or the 3DS port if mine wasn’t an original model 3DS...But back to topic, following Splatoon, it seems to be the second most succesful recent IP Nintendo has had, and Sakurai was well aware that Rex was a highly requested character, so must Nintendo too. Xenoblade 2 was a commercial success, so a new one could be in the works as we speak.

The way I see it, we could have Fiora (Chrom is still in Robin’s FS, so saying a character is deconfirmed because of that is out the window), Elma (unlikely since X has lost relevancy), Sakurai changes his mind about Rex, or a new entry gets announced and its new MC is included.
I get the feeling you dislike Verge

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
How do you guys feel about :ultike:'s new voice(s) this time around?
Also KarneraMythos KarneraMythos , I absolutely love your profile pic. Makes me wish we get another Mega Man rep as DLC.

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I forget. Is the game awards something streamed? Or is it watched on that old fashioned tv thing? What channel is it on? Spike?
I think the Spike channel went 6 feet under last year if I'm not mistaken. If its not on there then maybe TBS.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
It always kinda bothers me when some people toss Celica aside "because swords." Warriors aside, where she was a last minute clone, Celica has always been magic first, sword second.

That and it's also a personal qualm when others say Robin fully represents Fire Emblem magic in Smash when Robin only uses tomes in his specials and jab, with swordplay taking up the bulk of his moveset.
I also find Celica being a Robin Echo (From the Smash fans) to be quite odd, since the concept of Robin's normal moveset doesn't fit that much in Celica's style.

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
Hello everyone! I'm officially back (Although I doubt anyone cares)!!!!

I can still safely say that I'm still disappointed with Ultimate as a whole and won't into getting the damn thing at all!

I'm not really missing out on anything by skipping the entry to say the least!!!!!!!!

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

I can still safely say that I'm still disappointed with Ultimate as a whole and won't into getting the damn thing at all!

I'm not really missing out on anything by skipping the entry to say the least!!!!!!!!
...may I ask why you're disappointed?

shadowjosh

Smash Apprentice
Lot of talk of Tekken here, I was thrilled to see Virtua Fighter get repped with Akira as an AT. That legit hyped me, I'm a huge Virtua Fighter fan and it came out of nowhere(Yeah, I know he was a costume in 4, but still...).

I kind of like ATs being used to represent other franchises from third parties. They did that with Bomberman too. Imagine if we got an AT from Resident Evil or SaGa or Katamari?

KMDP

Smash Legend
His wife: I love you, honey
His cat: Meow

Sakurai: Thanks. Bye
And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you comin' home, Dad?"
"I don't know when, but we'll get together then,
You know we'll have a good time then."

Noipoi

Howdy!

You're...disappointed with Ultimate?
11mmns.jpg

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Sakurai finally gives us both Ridley and K. Rool, brings back every cut veteran, and adds almost every stage in existence.

"I can still safely say that I'm still disappointed with Ultimate as a whole and won't into getting the damn thing at all!"

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118

It's okay to be wrong

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Also KarneraMythos KarneraMythos , I absolutely love your profile pic.
I love Ike's new voice, it fits him very well, at least for his younger PoR skin. I'm a huge fan of the Tellius game, but one of the biggest weaknesses with them is that their cutscenes are unwatchable due to the horrendous voice acting, it's just so so bad, you could probably justify remakes of both just to do them justice on that front (that and how hard it is to get your hands on either of them these days).

Last edited:

hazza5557

Smash Journeyman

It’s objectively the best in the series

Pyr

Smash Lord
Going to take a wild guess and say it's for these reasons:

Well that Direct was extremely disappointing/soul crushing to say the least (After a whole of month of patiently for ****ing thing)!!!!!!!

No Modes shown off (With classic mode being the only thing we have to play through offline)!

No new items!

No new pokemon assist!

A Plant With Teeth on it (Yeah, that's truly worth spending all my hard earned cash on) being Included as DLC as opposed to something awesome like A Crono From Chrono Trigger Or Sora From Kingdom Hearts, Banjo And Kazooie, Mach Rider, A New Kid Icarus/Earthbound character or any other Grinch leak character

Sprites Mode and the Word Of Light just being a more redundant version Smash Tour!

Those stupid Mii fighters hogging up the alternate costumes and the main cast not getting any!

Online still not being improved on!

Isaac, Shadow, and Spring Man being assist trophies!

Final Fantasy not getting an Assist Trophy!

Trophies being removed completely!

Pokemon taking up half the roster completely!

That second Square Enix Character Vergeben talked about not being in the game whatsoever (Which would have saved the Direct completely)!

No More Stages!

It's this rate! I won't be looking into getting this game or getting A Nintendo until they decide to release some DLC that isn't as ****ing stupid as the piranha plant (I honestly think Sakurai just got lazy at the last minuet and decided to throw in a random Mario enemy almost nobody asked for)!

I ashamed that I wasted all my time commenting on this thread waiting waiting for a final Direct that was a massive dumpster fire! And with that! I say farewell to you all until DLC is shown off!

GOODBYE AND GOOD NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also, there is a CLEAR lack of exclamation points in Ultimate, so I'm sure that contributed to their opinion as well.

Bionichute

Smash Champion

i am a much weaker man than you are

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Also KarneraMythos KarneraMythos , I absolutely love your profile pic. Makes me wish we get another Mega Man rep as DLC.
I'm gonna miss the old "Prepare yourself!" taunt but I think its ok so far. Not sure if I'll ever get used to :ultganondorf:'s new voice though.

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord

This was literally me with Smash 4.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I'm gonna miss the old "Prepare yourself!" taunt but I think its ok so far. Not sure if I'll ever get used to :ultganondorf: new voice though.
I really like :ultlink:'s, though. It fits pretty well.

Still need to hear more of :ultsimon:, because I couldn't properly hear much of it.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I haven't sat around to listen to it enough to form an opinion. As for my profile pic, it comes from this image here:
__sigma_vava_and_x_rockman_x_and_etc_drawn_by_jie_laite__sample-daf582dbe14f715ec6ab6d0547ee35b4.jpg

With Chrom being in Robin's final smash and still being playable, I think Fiora and X are plausible choices for characters. If X were to be added however, I'd like for Sakurai to work his magic and convince Mark Gatha to reprise his role despite the latter quitting voice-acting.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Going to take a wild guess and say it's for these reasons:

Also, there is a CLEAR lack of exclamation points in Ultimate, so I'm sure that contributed to their opinion as well.
"Spirits, and World of Light is a redundant version of Smash Tour!"
BOI!!!!

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It always kinda bothers me when some people toss Celica aside "because swords." Warriors aside, where she was a last minute clone, Celica has always been magic first, sword second.

That and it's also a personal qualm when others say Robin fully represents Fire Emblem magic in Smash when Robin only uses tomes in his specials and jab, with swordplay taking up the bulk of his moveset.
The reason Robin uses swords for most of his normals has more to do with the fact that Smash Bros is balanced around close quarters combat so projectiles have to be pretty limited. It's the same reason Pit, despite being an archer, only has one arrow attack and why Fox and Samus kick and punch so much.

I don't think Celica would really work as a Robin echo either, but if she got in I'd still expect her to use her sword in a lot of her normals.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I haven't sat around to listen to it enough to form an opinion. As for my profile pic, it comes from this image here:
View attachment 176907
With Chrom being in Robin's final smash and still being playable, I think Fiora and X are plausible choices for characters. If X were to be added however, I'd like for Sakurai to work his magic and convince Mark Gatha to reprise his role despite the latter quitting voice-acting.
Shut up and take my Money!

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
Too many clones with no unique movesets

No Modes except for the Smash Tour Clone (World Of Light) And the Master Orders clone (Spirits)

The DLC Roster not consisting of any good characters we actually wanted (Vergeben and his friend keep saying were Steve and Marth echo number 543)

The game being rushed for a Christmas release (We all know how rare a good rushed out game for the Holiday season is, just look at Sonic 06)

Nothing in the game to unlock (Not even trophies or new stages)

Codecs and other wonderful easter eggs being forever gone

A worthless plant you have to pay 15 or 20 dollars for!!!!!!!!!!!

The online being terrible (As confirmed by Sakurai himself in the november direct)

Character's we wanted in the roster making short assist ttophy cameos

Too many Mario, Pokemon, And Anime (Fire) Waifu Emblem (I guess those are the only franchises Nintendo cares about now) characters taking up half the roster!!!!!!!!!!

So there you go! The reason's why I think this game will be a major let down!!!!!!!

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432

No Modes except for the Smash Tour Clone (World Of Light) And the Master Orders clone (Spirits)

The DLC Roster not consisting of any good characters we actually wanted (Vergeben and his friend keep saying were Steve and Marth echo number 543)

The game being rushed for a Christmas release (We all know how rare a good rushed out game for the Holiday season is, just look at Sonic 06)

The online being terrible (As confirmed by Sakurai himself in the november direct)

Too many Mario, Pokemon, And Anime (Fire) Waifu Emblem (I guess those are the only franchises Nintendo cares about now) characters taking up half the roster!!!!!!!!!!

So there you go! The reason's why I think this game will be a major let down!!!!!!!
I mean, you’re entitled to your opinion but... ok...

1. How was the game rushed?

2. We have no idea what the DLC characters are going to consist of in the end.

3. We have so many characters and spirits to unlock. Don’t even say we have no unlockable content.

4. Planty’s price hasn’t been announced yet if I’m not mistaken and it’s going to be free for a limited time.

5. Nobody has even played online yet.

I’m not going to waste my time on the rest.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Greg Chun beats Jason Adkins any day of the week for me. Smash was the only time the latter was decent as Ike, while his performance in Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, Fates, and Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. were varying degrees of bad.

Noipoi

Howdy!

I know it's all a matter of opinion, but I can't help but agree with Kermit here.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

Don't you have people on DeviantArt to yell at or something bro

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I gotta agree.
:ultridley: There was literally nobody :ultsimon: at all that anybody :ultkrool: ever wanted that :ultisabelle: made it into this game. :ultincineroar:

Such a disappointment.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

You don't actually know any of the DLC characters. Verge is only certain we're getting a Square Enix rep. Steve is still likely but unconfirmed, and Katalina is also very much unconfirmed and could go either way.

You didn't actually watch the World of Light trailer if you think it's a board game. Also, seeing as one of these modes contains over 1000 characters from gaming history I dunno what's gonna impress you.

Would love to know how a game with over 70 characters all balanced and worked on amazingly is rushed in the slightest

You unlock literally all of the characters except for 8 and all the Spirits

We don't know about new easter eggs because they're easter eggs. We aren't supposed to know about them.

You can't really comment on the online before the game actually comes out.

The Plant costs 5 dollars lol. And is also awesome.

Ridley, K. Rool, Chrom, Dark Samus, and Isabelle are Assist Trophies?

Mario and Pokemon are the 2 most iconic gaming series of all time not sure why you're actually complaining-we also only got 1 new Mario rep in base game and 1 new Pokemon rep in base game. FAR less than half the roster. Like it or not, Fire Emblem is a flagship Nintendo franchise now as well.

I have no idea why extra characters fan wanted being added is a point against it...Echoes are so easy to make and rob no one of anything and are there to please fans who want to play them. Don't get that first point.

Makes you feel any better, Snake has an exclamation point. You do seem to like those.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118

If I had the time I would debunk every single one of those claims

And man, you can't be serious about all this stuff right?

Like are you legit blaming the game for you over-hyping yourself?!

D

Deleted member

THIS JUST IN
GUY HAS OPINION
PEOPLE DISAGREE
WE’LL BE UPDATING THIS STORY AS IT GOES
Seriously guys, I can understand disagreeing with the stuff he’s saying, but people are allowed to be dissapointed. No need to hound the guy (albeit ‘hound’ might be a bit too strong a word here)

Kingslime304

Smash Lord

Umm, okay:
1. Piranha Plant is not expensive, your overacting on that one
2. We don't even know if the codes are confirmed to be "Forever gone".
3. How the **** is this even rushed when not only is everyone here (As well as stages, that are also REDESIGNED), but the characters are more polished, and all get attention to detail?
4. The roster is the unlockable part
5. Theres a reason for why Mario/Pokémon/Fire Emblem has more characters than usual (Besides, the lesser rep. ones also got one like Ridley, and K. Rool)
6. We have Ridley, K. Rool and a few others that are wanted in the game
7. Dude, we don't even know what the roster of DLC actually is for certain

Like, c'mon your like those people from GameFAQS/After the Nov. direct.

THIS JUST IN
GUY HAS OPINION
PEOPLE DISAGREE
WE’LL BE UPDATING THIS STORY AS IT GOES
Seriously guys, I can understand disagreeing with the stuff he’s saying, but people are allowed to be dissapointed. No need to hound the guy (albeit ‘hound’ might be a bit too strong a word here)
That would be fine if he's not incorrect of what he says.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Reminder that New Vegas was rushed.
Yet, it is considered the best Fallout game, despite not being made by Bethesda.

So rushed=bad isn’t a good argument.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I mean yeah, with your condition I'd imagine any video game would be a waste of money.

Well, unless you aren't blind, in which case I'd wonder how the hell you think World of Light is a Smash Tour clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom