• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
The Inkling spits in the face of this theory.
They did say "Aside from Inkling"

Inkling was kinda mandatory to reveal the game with...
I think having Incineroar as the last playable character was dumb. I guess it makes sense because they wanted World of Light to be the last reveal for the game overall, but...it's Incineroar. And I said it before the Grinch Leak was a thing. Incineroar as the last playable character would be a disappointment. And it was.
Smash has never ended on hype reveals, ever

Why would this time be any different?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
They did say "Aside from Inkling"

Inkling was kinda mandatory to reveal the game with...

:olimar:

Forgot him?

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I can definitely see :ultolimar: being a good last reveal considering the cult appeal of the Pikmin games at the time. The last characters don't have to fit the supposed rules of "hype characters" to be surprising...

Besides, Brawl was delayed and Olimar's reveal was sort of a consolation. :ultkingdedede: was gonna be the "final reveal"

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I can definitely see :ultolimar: being a good last reveal considering the cult appeal of the Pikmin games at the time. The last characters don't have to fit the supposed rules of "hype characters" to be surprising...

Besides, Brawl was delayed and Olimar's reveal was sort of a consolation. :ultkingdedede: was gonna be the "final reveal"
You're not suggesting the King would have been unhype are you?

volbound1700

Smash Master
If this is the DLC wave then I would be VERY DISAPPOINTED and consider not buying it as well as any Nintendo system in the future. I am alright with Doomguy but the rest of these characters I have never heard of and don't care about. Knowing Nintendo's dumb decisions about the roster since the August direct, it probably is true. I have lost faith in the Smash development team.

Steve over Banjo or even Masterchief is just plain stupid and shows that Nintendo is out of touch with the fanbase and clearly doesn't read this board. I mean the Banjo support thread has 200 rows of posts while Steve has like 9. All over youtube & twitter, the reaction to Steve was very negative.

Ryu whatever his name is - Don't we have already a Ryu in the game?

Dragon Quest - This one doesn't bother me a lot but still another fantasy sword user which is addressed by Fire Emblem

Joker - This to me was the greatest offense because he is an obscure character and took up a spot from SEGA who has a lot better reps. A second Sonic the Hedgehog rep would have been more popular and fit Smash better.

Where is Rayman and Ubisoft representation? They have supported Nintendo forever and Sakurai keeps trolling this fanbase by putting in trophies (Smash 4) and Spirits (Ultimate). When is Nintendo or Sora going to stop being assholes to the Rayman fanbase and put him in the game. He fits VERY WELL with all the cartoony Nintendo characters and would have a VERY UNIQUE moveset. It makes too MUCH DAMN SENSE and I guess that is why Nintendo is being so stupid about it.

Where is Crash Bandicoot? Same as Rayman, another legend platform character on par with Kirby, Donkey Kong, and the other Nintendo characters that fits well with them.

I may just buy Doomguy and the Dragon Quest guy. However, I am hoping that this rumor isn't true.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
If this is the DLC wave then I would be VERY DISAPPOINTED and consider not buying it as well as any Nintendo system in the future. I am alright with Doomguy but the rest of these characters I have never heard of and don't care about. Knowing Nintendo's dumb decisions about the roster since the August direct, it probably is true. I have lost faith in the Smash development team.

Steve over Banjo or even Masterchief is just plain stupid and shows that Nintendo is out of touch with the fanbase and clearly doesn't read this board. I mean the Banjo support thread has 200 rows of posts while Steve has like 9. All over youtube & twitter, the reaction to Steve was very negative.

Dragon Quest - This one doesn't bother me a lot but still another fantasy sword user which is addressed by Fire Emblem

Joker - This to me was the greatest offense because he is an obscure character and took up a spot from SEGA who has a lot better reps. A second Sonic the Hedgehog rep would have been more popular and fit Smash better.

Where is Rayman and Ubisoft representation? They have supported Nintendo forever and Sakurai keeps trolling this fanbase by putting in trophies (Smash 4) and Spirits (Ultimate). When is Nintendo or Sora going to stop being ******** to the Rayman fanbase and put him in the game. He fits VERY WELL with all the cartoony Nintendo characters and would have a VERY UNIQUE moveset. It makes too MUCH DAMN SENSE and I guess that is why Nintendo is being so stupid about it.

Where is Crash Bandicoot? Same as Rayman, another legend platform character on par with Kirby, Donkey Kong, and the other Nintendo characters that fits well with them.

I may just buy Doomguy and the Dragon Quest guy. However, I am hoping that this rumor isn't true.
aw **** this pasta is delicious

Joker is more beloved than any Sonic character at this point lol. Except for maybe Big the Cat

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I just had a dream where they revealed all the DLC characters. They were...

Geno (He actually looked pretty cool)
Mario Sunshine Bowser Jr. (Paintbrush was comically large. It was as long as FD is wide)
Small Giga Bowser
Something that looked like a Metal Gear made of Cheetos

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Here's the thing, though...

Steve makes more sense compared to Banjo from a marketing standpoint...

You see, Minecraft is huge and introduced a generation of kids to gaming. Steve in Smash could be used to help bring new players to the series, while the only people who are gonna be interested in Banjo are the Smash fans, and they already own Smash...

Hate him all you will, but Steve makes sense

Also, I'll have you know, that I'm one of those 9
#SteveGang4Life

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
aw **** this pasta is delicious

Joker is more beloved than any Sonic character at this point lol. Except for maybe Big the Cat
Funny, I play video games all the time and until he was announce, I had never eve heard of Joker. I thought it was the villain from Batman.

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
"Yūsha", means "Brave", which means "Hero"... Guys, Alm is in.

https://fireemblem.fandom.com/wiki/Hero_(Gaiden)

• Title in FEH is "Hero of Prophecy"
  • The class he promotes to is the exclusive Hero class.
  • Average weight, run speed, can't wall jump, no jab lock, etc. If Erdrick fits the stats, Alm fits the stats.
  • Sakurai would jump at the opportunity to add a Gaiden character since he obviously likes it with all of the remixes pre-SoV it got in Smash.
/s
It's time for Nintendo's true hero: Link. I bet he'd get in the game at least three times before they even considered any of these other suggestions.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
while I am not the biggest fan of all the "leaked" charcters (looking at you steve) and want other charcters more (banjo,crash,rayman) I am excited to see how unique and fun each of these DLC charcters turn out to be if its true well except for steve...

volbound1700

Smash Master
Here's the thing, though...

Steve makes more sense compared to Banjo from a marketing standpoint...

You see, Minecraft is huge and introduced a generation of kids to gamin. Steve in Smash could be used to help bring new players to the series, while the only people who are gonna be interested in Banjo are the Smash fans, and they already own Smash...

Hate him all you will, but Steve makes sense

Also, I'll have you know, that I'm one of those 9
#SteveGang4Life
You're likely right but he looks aesthetically so stupid. It is probably a disconnect between my generation and the newer generation. I didn't find Minecraft interesting at all. Banjo and Masterchief or more in tune with my generation. Frankly, my big beef with most of these characters is that they just look stupid and don't fit with the rest of the Smash cast.

Megaman, Sonic, Pacman, Simon Belmont, and Ryu all fit well with Pikachu, Mario, Kirby, Link, Donkey Kong, Star Fox. You take the original 8-12 characters and match them against the 5 proposed DLC and it just doesn't fit. Rayman, Banjo, Crash, Tails, etc. fit better with the original Smash cast.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Funny, I play video games all the time and until he was announce, I had never eve heard of Joker. I thought it was the villain from Batman.
Gonna take a guess and say you only play Nintendo games?

The MC of an award winning JRPG that sold more 3 million (more than Sonic Forces btw) despite being only on PS4 (and a limited PS3 print run) sure as hell isn't obscure.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
You're likely right but he looks aesthetically so stupid. It is probably a disconnect between my generation and the newer generation. I didn't find Minecraft interesting at all. Banjo and Masterchief or more in tune with my generation. Frankly, my big beef with most of these characters is that they just look stupid and don't fit with the rest of the Smash cast.

Megaman, Sonic, Pacman, Simon Belmont, and Ryu all fit well with Pikachu, Mario, Kirby, Link, Donkey Kong, Star Fox. You take the original 8-12 characters and match them against the 5 proposed DLC and it just doesn't fit. Rayman, Banjo, Crash, Tails, etc. fit better with the original Smash cast.
Ryu Hayabusa is a ninja in a game that already has ninja stuff. Steve is a cartoony mascot in a game of cartoony mascots. Erdrick is as Japanese as you can get. Joker is anime as hell. The only half baked point you have in Doomguy is stomped into a paste when you realize a literal stripper is running around shooting Mario.

I wouldn't expect any less from someone who proudly flaunts ignorance as a proper substitute for knowing what the hell you're talking about.

D

Deleted member

Where is Rayman and Ubisoft representation? They have supported Nintendo forever and Sakurai keeps trolling this fanbase by putting in trophies (Smash 4) and Spirits (Ultimate). When is Nintendo or Sora going to stop being ******** to the Rayman fanbase and put him in the game. He fits VERY WELL with all the cartoony Nintendo characters and would have a VERY UNIQUE moveset. It makes too MUCH DAMN SENSE and I guess that is why Nintendo is being so stupid about it.

This post reads like an intentional copypasta

D

Deleted member

If this is the DLC wave then I would be VERY DISAPPOINTED and consider not buying it as well as any Nintendo system in the future.

Three things:

>Never buy a console just for one game. Yes, Smash is dope, but i got it for more stuff like Metroid, Zelda, Crash, MUA3, Pokémon, Mario, DK and etc... Why take the risk of buying a console for a game that could dissapoint you?

>Crash is likely for a second Fighter Pass. Many fans of the character like myself didn't expect him in this one due to the dates of Skylanders Imaginators and N.Sane Trilogy.

>To give a bit of positivy, i would like to thank you for giving the Dragon Quest rep a chance. Composer aside, the franchise is wonderful and you should try one of the games.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

So what you're saying is basically "Only characters from my generation should be in Smash!"

Last edited:

culumon

Smash Apprentice

Bayonetta was very clearly presented as a big, climactic, hype reveal. The only reason anyone suggests otherwise now is how divisive a figure she's become since, between ending up super OP in Sm4sh and turning out to likely not be the actual ballot winner. None of that belies the fact that while she may have been something of a comedown after Cloud, she was still very much a was a highly requested and shocking pick and presented as such for the final reveal. Sakurai loves showmanship, and I have no doubt in my mind that the final DLC character for Ultimate is going to be a big deal and will be presented as such. The Smash community may end up pouring scorn onto them after the fact, but that won't change the intent behind the reveal.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Do we think a second pass is likely though. As much as I would love one I don't know if Sakurai and the team would keep making more characters after the game would be out for over a year at that point and would also have to keep doing balance updates for every new charcter after that. I mean sure it would sell like crazy but Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe did and could have made more money with DLC but didn't make any

osby

Smash Obsessed

We are not in 1999 anymore, so I don't know why any character has to fit into OG 8.

D

Deleted member

Do we think a second pass is likely though. As much as I would love one I don't know if Sakurai and the team would keep making more characters after the game would be out for over a year at that point and would also have to keep doing balance updates for every new charcter after that. I mean sure it would sell like crazy but Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe did and could have made more money with DLC but didn't make any
MK8 Deluxe updated new stuff from BOTW in the game, doh.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I say no. After Fighter Pass, we'll have 80 characters. If anyone is not satisfied with this number, they wouldn't be satisfied with any amount of characters.

I think for balance reasons and team getting smaller, 6 characters is all we get as DLC. Though, I wouldn't mind being wrong.

D

Deleted member

I say no. After Fighter Pass, we'll have 80 characters. If anyone is not satisfied with this number, they wouldn't be satisfied with any amount of characters.

I think for balance reasons and team getting smaller, 6 characters is all we get as DLC. Though, I wouldn't mind being wrong.
It's a fair take.

Even if i don't get Crash, i will have Erdrick or Eight, who are close to him. And mods exists too.

hinode

Smash Cadet
The only Western IPs I could see being popular in both Japan and the West that could be used are Banjo-Kazooie, Minecraft, and maybe Shantae, since she is a fairly popular indie even in Japan (sadly Shovel Knight wasn't near the same popularity there..it got a lukewarm reception from what I've heard).
So is there any evidence at all to this claim that Shantae is supposedly popular in Japan, way more so than Shovel Knight? Because it isn't backed up by sales numbers -at all-, which is significant since we get pretty comprehensive numbers for Japan.

The only time Shantae has ever charted on Media Create or Famitsu was for Half-Genie Hero, which sold ~3300 copies on Switch and ~1700 on PS4. Meanwhile Shovel Knight sold ~6300 copies on 3DS.

Both of these are one week only numbers, because they fell off the charts completely afterwards, so take these numbers with a grain of salt. But I'd say both fall firmly into the category of "hyper-obscure niche releases", which is what you'd expect from a western indie game in general. Yet there is this persistent claim I see on Smash communities where Shantae is supposedly actually popular in Japan while Shovel Knight is not, based on no evidence to speak up.

By comparison, Skyrim has sold 222K on PS3 alone and over 400K across all platforms, Call of Duty Black Ops 4 is over 600K already on PS4, and GTA5 is over 600K on PS4 and 800K on PS3. Not that anyone (including me) expects any CoD or GTA content in Smash, but they're more examples of western AAA franchises actually pulling decent numbers in Japan, at least on PS3 and PS4.

D

Deleted member

Not fitting with the artstyle has been the whole thing with Smash since the beginning, I'll never understand why it suddenly became a complaint. Even more in this day and age when the best 2018 movie(who will be the best 2019 movie for me) has three realistic spider-men/women pairing up with film noir spider-man, a cartoony pig spider-man and a gag-manga spider-woman.

Anyways
:ultmario::ultluigi: Cartoony humans with janky proportions
:ultsamus::ultfalcon::ultlink: Realistic proportioned or "Animay" style
:ultness: Cartoony kid who's the same size as the cartoony plumbers with eyes that have seen the void
:ultfox: Human proportioned anthropomorphized fox
:ultdk::ultyoshi::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff: Cartoony animals with animalistic proportions
:ultkirby: literally what is this

D

Deleted member

As someone who's seen a Game & Watch, when I look at Mr. Game & Watch, all I see is some weird LCD guy.

What is the hidden potential here?

Me too

Japan pandering ones?
While still popular in Japan, Metal Gear has always been targeted at the West as its main audience.
Sonic is more popular in West then in Japan.
Mega Man is popular worldwide about equally.
Pac-Man is popular worldwide about equally.
Street Fighter in general is more popular in America, this is why Capcom gave the rights to the series to Capcom USA
Cloud & Final Fantasy in general is more popular in the West then in Japan (seriously, some Japanese fans even called Cloud 'Foreigner Pandering' like they did with Little Mac)
Bayonetta is popular in both the West and Japan about equally.
Simon is more popular in the West while Richter is more popular in Japan..I'll call this one a tie..
Joker and Persona 5 is about equal in popularity in both Japan and the West.

There isn't any 'Japan Pandering' here, at least not consciously, its simply that all of the series and characters chosen so far are popular in both the West and Japan (even if some, such as Sonic, are more popular in the West then in Japan). Its simply down to what's popular in both the West and Japan, oddly enough, is usually Japanese in origin, likely due to more popular Western franchises being shooters or realistic games, which aren't as popular in Japan.
Why would they ever choose a 3rd Party representative that was solely or primarily popular only in one region when they can choose ones that would be popular worldwide and thus make them more money and gain more hype worldwide.
The only Western IPs I could see being popular in both Japan and the West that could be used are Banjo-Kazooie, Minecraft, and maybe Shantae, since she is a fairly popular indie even in Japan (sadly Shovel Knight wasn't near the same popularity there..it got a lukewarm reception from what I've heard).

For me, its primarly the fact that Doomguy, and DOOM in general, is more popular in the West and not really that popular in Japan, so the series and character aren't really iconic or big names there..partially due to the Famicom absolutely dominating the PC in Japan around the time Doom was released and also due to Japan having much less interest in shooters and much higher restrictions on violence, gore, etc, especially at that point in time.

Due that, I doubt Doom was even on Nintendo's radar, especially Nintendo of Japan's, when they were picking DLC characters as options for Sakurai to choose from when they would much more likely choose Japanese titles due to many having about equal popularity in the West and Japan as well as being much easier to negotiate and communicate character representation when everyone involved fluently speaks the same language

That said, I'd be down for Doomguy...if only for this song to be in the game.
>Popular western ips in Japan.
>Doesn't mention Crash.

This ain't it Chief.

D

Deleted member

Like, it's almost as if crossovers put characters designed by different artists who won't have the same nuances to their styles at all together in the same place. I oversimplified my argument so people who think we have too many Ryus could understand it but you can't say that the Pokemon Trainer is in the same artstyle as, say, a FE character even if you'd simplify both of them as "anime style".
Crossovers that fail to recreate the original artstyles and instead opt for an unified one are almost always universally disliked. Just look at Jump Force and how everyone pretty much agrees on how ugly it looks. It doesn't just lack the appeal of the original designs but also prevents characters from standing out from one another.

I mean, do I need to remind any of you that this is a thing that works?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
This is very random, but I had a dream last night, that the Angry Birds were an assist trophy.

When you summoned them, the structures appeared, and it turned into a standard game of Angry Birds. The birds would be automatically launched from the slingshot, towards the structures. If you were in the path of the destruction, you would take some serious damage

Is it bad that I want this to be a thing, now?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom