• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StormC

Smash Hero
The "hype" character at E3 can only be K. Rool, Ridley, or a third party. Nobody else makes sense.

Don't @ me with various examples. Deep down, you know I'm right.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
What if they replaced Alph with Louie and made Alph his own character with rock pikmin instead of purple pikmin?

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't give a **** about Ridley or bandwagons.
That face when you are riding in your big purple Bugatti and someone in their cheap little Ford Fiesta rolls down their window and yells to you, "nice wagon, bro!" That is basically what this is.

I honestly thought he was unlockable in melee as a kid, just from the cinematic intro.
He didn't appear much bigger then Samus there.
Since then i've wanted Ridley.
You have no idea how many endless melees I tried to "win" in hopes of unlocking Ridley.

The "hype" character at E3 can only be K. Rool, Ridley, or a third party. Nobody else makes sense.

StormC StormC Captain K. Rool, Meta Ridley, or a "fourth" party character would do it. :troll:

What if they replaced Alph with Louie and made Alph his own character with rock pikmin instead of purple pikmin?
They better add someone cool to compensate for such an utter waste of time, such as... Ridley.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470

You are 100% right, and Nintendo would have won. They do not have to do much to win. It's that simple.

I would frickn' love that to happen! Since I played the two first Pikmin games that would be good.

ErenJager

Smash Champion

I grew up loving donkey kong country on snes. They were my favourite.
Only game I played more was Primal Rage.

I also grew up with the Donkey Kong TV show on teletoon... and loved renting DK64 from blockbuster.

I need KKR... lol

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I agree with both, and myself, of course.

Let's play a Third Party vs Ridley. The game is simple, you just have to put a "> or <" on who you want. I'll place some third parties of him to fight. You can decide if you wish to base it on hype or want.

Here are some contenders;
I'll just explain cases where Ridley loses or it's close; otherwise, I'd be here all day.

Ridley > Shantae.
Ridley > Shovel Knight.
Ridley > Crash Bandicoot.
Ridley > Bomberman.
Ridley < Solid Snake. (Snake was my main in Brawl, and I really enjoyed his style of gameplay; no character in the current game provides anything similar)
Ridley > Rayman. (it's close, though; it seems like such a waste to get permission to use Rayman in Smash 4 and then only include him as a trophy)
Ridley > Rabbids.
Ridley > Minecraft Steve.
Ridley > Simon Belmont.
Ridley > Lara Croft.
Ridley > Spyro the Dragon.
Ridley > Kyo Kusanagi.
Ridley > Phoenix Wright.
Ridley > Jack Frost.
Ridley > Bubble Bobble.
Ridley > Persona Character.
Ridley > Tekken Character.
Ridley > Dig Dug.
Ridley > Boggy B.
Ridley > Doom Guy. (Doom was the most fun that I've had with a single player FPS, and I'd love to see Doom Guy in Smash, but I wouldn't be as excited as I would with Ridley)
Ridley < Banjo & Kazooie. (Banjo-Kazooie was the first Nintendo 64 game that I played, they're fantastic characters, and they seem like a natural fit for Smash, though I'm well aware that it's extremely unlikely, if not impossible, for them to be included)
Ridley > Thales Character.
Ridely > Scorpion/Sub-Zero.

StormC

Smash Hero
Ridley vs. Snake is admittedly close to me. Solid Snake is my favorite video game character of all time. Ridley wins out because I can still go back and play a Smash game with Snake. Ridley not so much.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
That face when you are riding in your big purple Bugatti and someone in their cheap little Ford Fiesta rolls down their window and yells to you, "nice wagon, bro!" That is basically what this is.
Do you actually read this **** back to yourself and think, "Wow, you really told him!"?

StormC

Smash Hero
What would your reaction be if Waluigi is revealed to be a playable character?
Shocked but amused. Waluigi is my most wanted Mario character, but only passively so. One of the best things about it is it might mean Waluigi gets starring roles finally.

Morbi

Scavenger
Do you actually read this **** back to yourself and think, "Wow, you really told him!"?
Yes, I actually do. I even get someone else to read it because it is so hilarious. :cool:

That is pretty ironic coming from you, however. You genuinely believe that people want a ****ing giant purple space dragon because of a bandwagon? It could not possibly be because he is a giant ****ing purple space dragon?

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I would love that. Waluigi is my all time favourite Mario Spin-Off character, and having someone to represent that would make me so happy. Also the Wario & Waluigi vs Mario & Luigi would be a dream come true!

SneakDuckens

Smash Cadet
NNID
heiny13
One look at my sig would tell you I want Ridley over any third party character.

I'm not even a big Metroid fan - Super Metroid is a great game, but I haven't played the series much beyond that. But with all the anticipation around Ridley over the last two decades, it'd be impossible to not get hyped for his appearance. He is one of the last genuine Nintendo All-Stars not in this game.
I am right there with you. Not the biggest Metroid fan, but I have wanted Ridley in Smash since the melee cinematic. I think my enthusiasm is founded half because I really want him in the game and half because I get triggered whenever people say he is too big for Smash. Apparently Ridley is the only character that has to be held to canon size standards (looking at you, Olimar). Unfortunately I'm incredibly pessimistic that he will get in. Hopefully the Metroid Prime 4 release will boost Ridley support enough that it is impossible to be ignored.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I would cosplay as Waluigi, scream "waah" at the top of my lungs for about fifteen minutes and resume my normal activities for the remainder of the day. Or just do lewd things to artwork of Waluigi, who knows? I would have to sort of have it happen to gauge the sensation.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I mentioned this before, but I'd like it if Rock Pikmin were implemented into Olimar's normal moveset.
They would be picked after Purple Pikmin, and their special qualities would be that they break shields easily. They deal a large amount of shield damage, basically

A way to keep this from being broken would be to make them only appear once every other rotation of Pikmin, rather than every time.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight

I'd be quite happy. My love for the character has steadily risen over the years, and now it's at the point that he's among my favorite Mario characters. Also, it helps that he resembles this guy and that my bodily physique is actually closely matched with Waluigi's.

Edit: Did they just censor out the name? Good grief...

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
I absolutely, positively think that an absolutely golden trailer would just be called "The Purple Warrior Arrives," and obviously it's the man, the legend, Waluigi, but around the end the background goes a dark purple, the trailer sorta hangs, and Waluigi turns around only to get punted off screen by Ridley before he takes a mini mushroom

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I agree with both, and myself, of course.

Let's play a Third Party vs Ridley. The game is simple, you just have to put a "> or <" on who you want. I'll place some third parties of him to fight. You can decide if you wish to base it on hype or want.

Here are some contenders;

Ridley - Shantae.
Ridley - Shovel Knight.
Ridley - Crash Bandicoot.
Ridley - Bomberman.
Ridley - Solid Snake.
Ridley - Rayman.
Ridley - Rabbids.
Ridley - Minecraft Steve.
Ridley - Simon Belmont.
Ridley - Lara Croft.
Ridley - Spyro the Dragon.
Ridley - Kyo Kusanagi.
Ridley - Phoenix Wright.
Ridley - Jack Frost.
Ridley - Bubble Bobble.
Ridley - Persona Character.
Ridley - Tekken Character.
Ridley - Dig Dug.
Ridley - Boggy B.
Ridley - Doom Guy.
Ridley - Banjo & Kazooie.
Ridley - Thales Character.
Ridely - Scorpion/Sub-Zero.

^
Alright, let's stop there and play the Ridley vs Third Party.
Of those, the ones who'd excite me more than Ridley would be:
Shovel Knight, Crash Bandicoot, Snake, Rabbids, Simon Belmont, Lara Croft, Phoenix Wright, Dig Dug.

I'd also throw in Frogger and Maxwell. Ridley would beat out the rest, easily.

SamuXCI

Smash Cadet
NNID
SamuXCI
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984

If Sakurai ignores Ridley and King K. Rool and doesn't add much 3rd parties cause there not legendary power houses of Smash4... This roster will be the saddest batch of losers since...Smash4 :awesome: (Kidding but not kidding)

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Ridley - Shantae.
Ridley - Shovel Knight.
Ridley - Crash Bandicoot.
Ridley - Bomberman.
Ridley - Solid Snake.
Ridley - Rayman.
Ridley - Rabbids.
Ridley - Minecraft Steve.
Ridley - Simon Belmont.
Ridley - Lara Croft.
Ridley - Spyro the Dragon.
Ridley - Kyo Kusanagi.
Ridley - Phoenix Wright.
Ridley - Jack Frost.
Ridley - Bubble Bobble.
Ridley - Persona Character.
Ridley - Tekken Character.
Ridley - Dig Dug.
Ridley - Boggy B.
Ridley - Doom Guy.
Ridley - Banjo & Kazooie.
Ridley - Thales Character.
Ridely - Scorpion/Sub-Zero.
Ridley > All

Well, that was easy.

Then I am sure it is a third party because I still have some doubts for the other two, one because of not being super relevant and the other because of "obvious reasons".

That is of course said third party with obvious other character announcements like Rex, Spring Man, a FE16 Character, and some new Pokemon.

The moment Ridley gets confirmed, E-3 wins from Nintendo
If he gets in you best believe the entire internet breaks down. But I think Metroid Prime 4 will help decide whoever they would add from Metroid, if it gets someone else.

I honestly thought he was unlockable in melee as a kid, just from the cinematic intro.
He didn't appear much bigger then Samus there.
Since then i've wanted Ridley.
That is mostly because it was Super Metroid Ridley. The size difference was there but it wasn't like the size difference you see in the Prime games or in Other M. And if Ridley gets added now it would be one of his more recent appearances because they always seem to go for that (in the case of Metroid both Samuses being their Other M selves in Sm4sh).

This is really interesting though probably not completely accurate to what the people of japan averagely believe in terms of the smash roster. But if we did assume that, then there are a couple of interesting points at least.

They are very similar to what most people in the west also believe. You got your Rexs, Bandana Dees, Spring mans, etc. They do appear to rate Ashley higher over there compared to the west. Also a push for the idea of steve from minecraft.

I do wonder how far the similarities go. Like Marx is a perfect example. Did they have a huge group of people rush to his support when the star allies dlc was announced? Or do they prefer to stick to Bandana Dee?

I know they probably think even less of Ridley chances than the west does seeing as japan really doesn't care about metroid.
Japan seems to push similar characters we see over here. Characters like Rex/Pyra/Mythra, someone from ARMS, Celica/FE16 characters, Bandanna Dee, etc.

Last edited:

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
You know with Okami coming to the Switch maybe we can see Amaterasu in Smash! :D

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
If Ridley and or Waluigi get in, I'll be amused.

Why?

It'll be very easy to pick out contrarian edgy tryhards, because all of them will start complaining about Sakurai "listening to THE MEMES".

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I certainly hope so. Any popular Capcom character not from a previously represented series would tickle my fancy to be perfectly honest; however, Amaterasu is the one that I want the most.
Phoenix Wright is my most wanted new Capcom rep, but if someone like Amaterasu or Dante got in instead, you wouldn't see me complaining.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
God... I'm slowly becoming a Ridley supporter. What's going on with the world !?

but yes StormC StormC Team green, Ivysaur and King K. Rool. I can go with Green & Purple.

Not many thrid parties could beat Ridley for me. Squall I guess but that would be dumb.

Depending on my mood maybeeeeeee Sora or Edea Lee, but I Dont think anything could beat Ridley. I've been a Space Pirate for too long. The closure would be more than enough to blow the lid on hype.
:061:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom