• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Nice roster but I disagree with you on a few things about cut characters:

Lucina, Dark Pit and Dr. Mario won't be skins, ever. Last game made that pretty clear. They'll probably return, maybe not all of them, but if they could've okay as costumes, last game would do that.
Thank you. I’ve never been fond of those 3 plus Roy and Lucas hence why I decided to cut them. I would rather see a smaller roster than one with cloned characters.

Ryu and Cloud's owner companies have pretty good relationships with Nintendo, there's no obvious indicator of why they'll be one-time deals.
A lot of people thought Snake w9ukd return before Smash 4 was released some thought Sonic wouldn’t return. As much as I love those two, I would rather see new 3rd party characters over an over-abundance of them. Plus, Chrono is my Squnix rep.

Greninja won't be replaced by another Pokemon. It'be same as replacing Charizard with a new one. Same reason with Lucas and Roy. Cutting characters won't open room for newcomers and I think a lot of fans wouldn't be pleased with "for more character additions" explanation.
Honestly, Greninja was my iffy and a last minute call. I would be thrilled to see him return but I wanted to keep my roster at a certain size so I traded him for Crash.

Ice Climbers, Wolf, Bandana Dee: Would they even work as DLC? It seems weird to not include them in the game just so that they can be sold separetely.
I needed some sort of DLC and I wanted to include at least new veterans so they were added as DLC. Both the IC and Wolf are highly requested and sure to bring in cash flow. Bandana Dee was kind of 50/50.

My roster wasn’t exactly a prediction or wishlist roster. I felt it was one that hit all the necessary marks while keeping the roster size manageable. I’m addition, one that could potentially well-received and live up to the standard that previous Smash rosters set.

If this was a wishlist roster, it would of had the likes of Skull Kid, Garchomp, Sami, Issac, Wolf Link and Midna, Jack from Harvest Moon, Scorpion, Zero from MMX, Dovahkin, Terra Bradford, SoulCalibur Nightmare, and Master Chief

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Don't get me wrong, I like 'em both, but their popularity and relevancy peaked long ago, and the only things both have going for them at the moment are remakes of their respective games and a spin-off. Neither remakes or spin-offs have influenced Sakurai to add characters in the past, so if either wants to get in, they'll probably have to rely on their own merits from their game of origin. Needless to say, that's already hard enough with all the competition thay have.
You can make the arguement that the Pokemon Trainer represented the Gen 1 remakes. It was perfect timing and he used that trainers design (upset they didn't have a Leaf alt...)

Not saying this makes Midna or Skull Kid any more likely (I would actually be surprised, I'm expecting other likely Zelda newcomers). However I don't think we have any reason to say Sakurai doesn't consider spin-offs or more importantly remakes when he considers relevant characters.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Looking at the guardian amiibo and that thing’s iconicness ro Breath of the Wild, if boss fights return, he’s got a shot (of course so does a Lynel especially as those have been in Zelda since day one.)

If Twinrova isn’t going to be a stage hazard again, why are they not brought up more? I mean they could possibly be a stage hazard again, but they appear in more zelda games than anyone who isn’t zelda, Link, Impa, or Ganon.

Impa’s got a good shot.

I’m not ruling out Vaati. Three games as the big bad still trumps not appearing in Hyrule Warriors. And Four Swords Adventures is going to come back one day... I hope... it’s my favorite zelda (I got to play it with three friends... technically four, two showed up essentially alternating).

I think Epona needs some form of appearance.

And why don’t people bring up Bokoblins? I know no one likes regular rank and file minions, but these guys rule. In Every design they have. And if they were in with an alt design for wind waker, twilight princess, and BOTW? I’d be a happy Fred.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Skull Kid and Midna are casually sailing by Sakurai's massive Smash yacht in the S.S. DoWeStillHaveAChance boat.

Don't get me wrong, I like 'em both, but their popularity and relevancy peaked long ago, and the only things both have going for them at the moment are remakes of their respective games and a spin-off. Neither remakes or spin-offs have influenced Sakurai to add characters in the past, so if either wants to get in, they'll probably have to rely on their own merits from their game of origin. Needless to say, that's already hard enough with all the competition thay have.

Maybe some people interpreted their roles as Assist Trophies as a good thing, but I saw it as more of a nail in the coffin; a compensation of sorts since neither were made playable characters. They ain't getting any newer, so if Sakuri couldn't add them back then, what are the odds of Sakurai randomly going back to add a one-time character who's 18 and 12 years old respectively? Honestly, not very high, and the BotW theme gives Sakurai another reason to be hesitant of adding older characters with no connection to the game.
Skull Kid actually got more than assist trophy, he was also among the first to get a Mii costume, well the Majora's Mask anyway ,but it was specifically mentioned as Skull Kid joining. And a lot of people have taken Mii costumes as a sign of hope.

And that same mask was also the first piece of DLC decided on by Aonuma for botw. And Majora's Mask was his first big Zelda game. So if Sakurai went to him and asked what character he'd like, strong possibility that he'd say Skull Kid.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Skull Kid actually got more than assist trophy, he was also among the first to get a Mii costume, well the Majora's Mask anyway ,but it was specifically mentioned as Skull Kid joining. And a lot of people have taken Mii costumes as a sign of hope.

And that same mask was also the first piece of DLC decided on by Aonuma for botw. And Majora's Mask was his first big Zelda game. So if Sakurai went to him and asked what character he'd like, strong possibility that he'd say Skull Kid.
I still take the Mii costumes with a grain of salt. Although some higly requested characters got them (Inklings, King K. Rool, Ashley) there were also some out there costumes such as Dunban from Xenoblade and Black Knight from fire emblem among others.

I think the requested characters are still likely (well obviously with the Inklings lol) but I don't know how much we could use Mii costumes as evidence of likelihood.

Redrix

Smash Rookie
Do you think that Nintendo will release a playable demo right after the E3 Invitational or, on the contrary, will take more time to do so? I think it is not fair to have the best players in the world playing and tryharding at the new game, whereas the rest of people cannot. They already enjoy the advantage of being the best ones lmao

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Do you think that Nintendo will release a playable demo right after the E3 Invitational or, on the contrary, will take more time to do so? I think it is not fair to have the best players in the world playing and tryharding at the new game, whereas the rest of people cannot.
There's probably a good reason why no demos were made available, as glitches can exist in demo titles.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
You can make the arguement that the Pokemon Trainer represented the Gen 1 remakes. It was perfect timing and he used that trainers design (upset they didn't have a Leaf alt...)

Not saying this makes Midna or Skull Kid any more likely (I would actually be surprised, I'm expecting other likely Zelda newcomers). However I don't think we have any reason to say Sakurai doesn't consider spin-offs or more importantly remakes when he considers relevant characters.
I think Pokemon Trainer was chosen more for the gimmick, not the relevancy from his remakes. However, even if you assume that the remake is what influenced Sakurai to add him, that's only one example.

From what I've seen, remakes can't really compete with brand new games. They get forgotten rather quickly, and they usually don't amount to much in Smash aside from a few trophies and, if the remake is extremely lucky, maybe a new stage. Perhaps I'll be proven wrong and we'll get Skull Kid and Celica as newcomers. But until we get a character specifically from a remake, I'm going to remain critical of their chances.

I don't think that's really all too noteworthy. Skull Kid has had his iconicness for years now, and that mask of his has been making appearances in games long before Smash 4. Honestly, the Assist Trophy is probably a bigger deal to Sakurai than the Mii costume and the BotW DLC.

And as far as Sakurai talking to Aonuma, couldn't I just as easily argue that Sakurai might specifically request BotW characters rather than the characters he's known about for years? Sakurai isn't blissfully unaware of Skull Kid's existence. If he decides to put him in, he ain't gonna need Aonuma's help to make that decision. Newer characters that he might not be familiar with? Now that's a different story.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Thank you. I’ve never been fond of those 3 plus Roy and Lucas hence why I decided to cut them. I would rather see a smaller roster than one with cloned characters.

A lot of people thought Snake w9ukd return before Smash 4 was released some thought Sonic wouldn’t return. As much as I love those two, I would rather see new 3rd party characters over an over-abundance of them. Plus, Chrono is my Squnix rep.
1. You forgot Toon Link, Luigi, Falco and Ganondorf.

2. Cycling through third parties? Why would anyone be okay with cutting the characters they like just so that new ones can come in? Also in which parallel universe would Chrono picked over Cloud to represent Square Enix?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think the requested characters are still likely (well obviously with the Inklings lol) but I don't know how much we could use Mii costumes as evidence of likelihood.
Keep in mind of several things.

1. The Miis themselves were designed with customization in mind. In particular one aspect brought up in conception is that the Miis allow you to play as "anyone", as a sort of next best thing to cater to people that have character ideas that aren't possible.
  2. The ballot likely had certain characters be very popular, but for whatever reason such as time, budget, hardware, or copyright, they couldn't be possible. So to compensate they got costumes instead. It's far easier to make a costume than to create an entirely new character from scratch. In fact I speculate the Inklings at least were in that very scenario due to the possible complexity of their weapons, ink, and transformation between squid and kid being too impractical to implement. The fact they were confirmed as the very first newcomer for the next game supports this.

D

Deleted member

I like the Miis.
I mean, how can I have Spongebob + Saitama in Smash Bros? Miis!

Miis are actually a lot more fun and unique characters than you think, and it would make me sad if they were a cut. Just make custom moves not unlockable and automatically there. I really disliked unlocking custom moves, but I do like custom moves.

I think Miis should stay in Super Smash Bros. Switch.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Personally I think Ashley really benefits from being both an assist trophy and Mii Costume in SSB4. Both cases have had a character that got promoted to playable(Little Mac and Inkling respectively)

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I think Pokemon Trainer was chosen more for the gimmick, not the relevancy from his remakes. However, even if you assume that the remake is what influenced Sakurai to add him, that's only one example.

From what I've seen, remakes can't really compete with brand new games. They get forgotten rather quickly, and they usually don't amount to much in Smash aside from a few trophies and, if the remake is extremely lucky, maybe a new stage. Perhaps I'll be proven wrong and we'll get Skull Kid and Celica as newcomers. But until we get a character specifically from a remake, I'm going to remain critical of their chances.
I think bringing up Skull Kid vs. Celica is a really good point.

Zelda will probably not pull from the remakes/spin offs because there was a brand new game released. I'm almoat positive most Zelda material will be pulled from Breath of the Wild and if we get a new character I think that's where we will see them from.

On the other hand Fire Emblem hasn't had a major release since Fates. Echoes was the closest thing and to be fair it's not an enhanced port like the Zelda games, but really a whole new game. This to me gives more credibility to Celica, or maybe games like Fire Emblem Warriors and Heroes and thus giving Lyn or Anna more of a chance. We'd be having a totally different conversation regarding Fire Emblem reps if Corrin hadn't made it in as DLC.

Just my thoughts on ports and remakes. I think they should be only relevant when they are the only new thing to pull from.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I like the Miis.
I mean, how can I have Spongebob + Saitama in Smash Bros? Miis!

Miis are actually a lot more fun and unique characters than you think, and it would make me sad if they were a cut. Just make custom moves not unlockable and automatically there. I really disliked unlocking custom moves, but I do like custom moves.

I think Miis should stay in Super Smash Bros. Switch.
I think it's more likely that 2/3rds of the Mii Fighter movesets gets cut than the Miis getting scrapped entirety.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think bringing up Skull Kid vs. Celica is a really good point.

Zelda will probably not pull from the remakes/spin offs because there was a brand new game released. I'm almoat positive most Zelda material will be pulled from Breath of the Wild and if we get a new character I think that's where we will see them from.

On the other hand Fire Emblem hasn't had a major release since Fates. Echoes was the closest thing and to be fair it's not an enhanced port like the Zelda games, but really a whole new game. This to me gives more credibility to Celica, or maybe games like Fire Emblem Warriors and Heroes and thus giving Lyn or Anna more of a chance. We'd be having a totally different conversation regarding Fire Emblem reps if Corrin hadn't made it in as DLC.

Just my thoughts on ports and remakes. I think they should be only relevant when they are the only new thing to pull from.
I don't think enough has happened since the release of the Corrin DLC to justify FE getting a seventh character. Right now, I find myself leaning more towards FE not getting anything in Smash Switch until DLC and FE16.

However, on the off-chance Sakurai is adamant and completely confident about adding another FE character on the base roster, I suppose Celica would have a decent chance. I don't think her game was nearly big enough to warrant Sakurai looking at it for a character, but compared to everyone else in recent years, it seems like she has the most notable history.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think it's more likely that 2/3rds of the Mii Fighter movesets gets cut than the Miis getting scrapped entirety.
Then they would be pretty bland. Maybe it's more likely to keep customization for only Miis? They were really different from other fighters, anyway.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
There's probably a good reason why no demos were made available, as glitches can exist in demo titles.
Moreover, everyone and their dog can data-mine demos these days.

I don't think they'd have the time go through and change all the character files to XXXXX or nice_try_chump.exe or something.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
1. You forgot Toon Link, Luigi, Falco and Ganondorf.
Lucas, Lucina, Dr Mario, Dark Pit, etc are a far cry from Luigi, Ganondorf, Falco, and maybe Toon Link in my opinion. I would rather see them included and cloned instead of not included because of being clones. Plus, their Smash 4 versions are a far less clone-y then their Melee counterparts. Even Toon Link.

2. Cycling through third parties? Why would anyone be okay with cutting the characters they like just so that new ones can come in? Also in which parallel universe would Chrono picked over Cloud to represent Square Enix?
I see nothing wrong with doing that to keep the roster from getting to Mugen-sized proportions. Maybe it’s a personal bias but I enjoy seeing rosters cut. That’s why I think Injustice has some of the best rosters. They slashed and burned the first roster and brought in tons of fresh faces in Injustice 2 without losing quality. I cut out Ryu and Cloud while keeping the big 3 plus Bayo while adding Shovel Knight, Crash, Banjo, Rayman, and Chrono. So that’s technically a 3 character increase from Smash 4. How’s that a problem? People upset I cut those characters? They can join the Pichu, Snake, and IC fans.

My universe.

I admit that’s entirely my own bias though the idea of a magical swordsman who can use his party members for attacks intrigued me. The idea of Chrono actually manifested itself while listening to the OST in the car. It’s a classic. I grew up playing CT and I play through it yearly. I’m also a huge fan of FF7 as well and Cloud’s reveal, to me, was like Christmas morning. That being said, I would like to see Chrono be given a chance to sign. And hey, nothings wrong with taking a few risks when making a fan-roster, right?

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Then they would be pretty bland. Maybe it's more likely to keep customization for only Miis? They were really different from other fighters, anyway.
Their movesets were already bland to begin with, lacking anything unique, especially since Palutena already shared the same "gimmick".

Personal opinion of the Mii Fighters aside, cutting 2/3rds of their movesets would pretty much cause the least amount of disappointments as far as cuts are concerned. As far as cut predictions go, this possibility isn't something that should be disregarded.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Since we're on the topic of posting rosters here's one I made just to refresh my Photoshop skills. The background is still a work in progress as it's lacking in detail, but for now I like the gold color.

It's neither a prediction nor a dream roster, it's kind of a mix of both, so a semi-realistic roster I'd love to see basically. If I made an actual prediction roster I'd probably lose interest (and it's going to be wrong anyways), and if I made a full on dream roster it'd be ridiculous, so this is the compromise I came up with.

There are 68 characters in total with 13 newcomers and 2 returning characters, so 15 characters who weren't in Smash 4. Every character is ordered according to when they made their first appearance within their respective franchises. Might be a little bit of a standard roster, but it was fun making it.

Waluigi
King K. Rool
Dixie Kong
Skull Kid
Ridley
Waddle Dee
Lyn
Decidueye
Isabelle
Elma
Inkling
Takamaru
Crash

Wolf
Ice Climbers

Dr. Mario
Dark Pit
Lucina
Cloud

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I don't think enough has happened since the release of the Corrin DLC to justify FE getting a seventh character. Right now, I find myself leaning more towards FE not getting anything in Smash Switch until DLC and FE16.

However, on the off-chance Sakurai is adamant and completely confident about adding another FE character on the base roster, I suppose Celica would have a decent chance. I don't think her game was nearly big enough to warrant Sakurai looking at it for a character, but compared to everyone else in recent years, it seems like she has the most notable history.
Who is saying that FE is going to get a 7th character? If anything, given Sakurai already felt there were too many FE characters before Corrin was added, I think it's more likely that FE will recieve at least one cut than keep all of its characters, especially if Celica is a newcomer.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Since we're on the topic of posting rosters here's one I made just to refresh my Photoshop skills. The background is still a work in progress as it's lacking in detail, but for now I like the gold color.

It's neither a prediction nor a dream roster, it's kind of a mix of both, so a semi-realistic roster I'd love to see basically. If I made an actual prediction roster I'd probably lose interest (and it's going to be wrong anyways), and if I made a full on dream roster it'd be ridiculous, so this is the compromise I came up with.

There are 68 characters in total with 13 newcomers and 2 returning characters, so 15 characters who weren't in Smash 4. Every character is ordered according to when they made their first appearance within their respective franchises. Might be a little bit of a standard roster, but it was fun making it.

Waluigi
King K. Rool
Dixie Kong
Skull Kid
Ridley
Waddle Dee
Lyn
Decidueye
Isabelle
Elma
Inkling
Takamaru
Crash

Wolf
Ice Climbers

Dr. Mario
Dark Pit
Lucina
Cloud
Looks like a solid roster to me. A little skeptical of Skull Kid and Lyn getting added, but I figured those were two characters you really wanted to see. Everyone else seems like a reasonable guess.

Who is saying that FE is going to get a 7th character? If anything, given Sakurai already felt there were too many FE characters before Corrin was added, I think it's more likely that FE will recieve at least one cut than keep all of its characters, especially if Celica is a newcomer.
I'm expecting something to be done about "the Marth trio". There's not really a good reason for us to have all three, and I'm going to be somewhat angry if Sakurai finds a reason to justify keeping all three of those guys when he cut Wolf in Smash 4.

The worst-case scenario for FE is two cuts and no newcomers. The best-case scenario is no cuts and one newcomer. My ideal scenario is two cuts and one newcomer.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Their movesets were already bland to begin with, lacking anything unique, especially since Palutena already shared the same "gimmick".

Personal opinion of the Mii Fighters aside, cutting 2/3rds of their movesets would pretty much cause the least amount of disappointments as far as cuts are concerned. As far as cut predictions go, this possibility isn't something that should be disregarded.
But their whole point was that they gave the player at least some control over how they will play. It's still a possibility (admitedly, kinda a big one) to keep them with standart specials but I still feel like it would be weird, considering Sakurai really stressed it's important for them have some kind of depth and not make them just a blank character you can put faces on it, even if they are only arguably more than that.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Looks like a solid roster to me. A little skeptical of Skull Kid and Lyn getting added, but I figured those were two characters you really wanted to see. Everyone else seems like a reasonable guess.
Yeah, with Lyn it's because I expect a Fire Emblem newcomer, but I don't know which one it'll be for sure, so I just pick the one I'd like to see the most, even if she isn't likely. Waluigi and Crash also fall into this category (Mario newcomer and 3rd party), and Elma to a lesser extent, although I think that's more of a 50/50 between her and Rex & Pyra.

With Skull Kid it's just a dream inclusion, I don't even think a Zelda newcomer is happening. Ridley is another one who's just a dream one, but there's no way I can keep myself interested in making a roster without him on it.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
But their whole point was that they gave the player at least some control over how they will play.
And the whole point behind Pichu in Melee was to be the new joke character. Doesn't mean that Sakurai can't re-evaluate his thought on a character.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Has there been any account of Sakurai cutting a character for reasons other than time constraints/device limitations/liscencing issues?

I feel like a lot of people expect the clone trio to get cut without any reason besides not wanting them back or thinking Sakurai won't want them back. This might also just be my bias that I believe this will be a smash game that just ports over all the characters and thus there's no reason the wouldn't all carry over easily.

I could see 3rd parties being cut, simply because I can't perdict liscencing issues.

Edit: Possibly Pichu? Although I wouldn't consider Pichu and the clone trio on the same level. It is however an example of Sakurai cutting a character when he didn't really need to.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
On a side, the thing I'm dreading the most with this Smash game is them putting a lot of heavy emphasis on Wii U titles, in particular the more controversial ones like Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash, Animal Crossing amiibo Festival, Star Fox Zero, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Paper Mario: Color Splash, etc.

It sounds weird they would do that, but remember that they similarly used controversial titles like Metroid: Other M and Paper Mario Sticker Star as a basis for content, and I remember some people being bitter about that.

If they were smart they would also reference Switch games released in 2017 at least to counter balance that, or at least more heavily reference the Wii U games that have redeeming qualities like Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Has there been any account of Sakurai cutting a character for reasons other than time constraints/device limitations/liscencing issues?

I feel like a lot of people expect the clone trio to get cut without any reason besides not wanting them back or thinking Sakurai won't want them back. This might also just be my bias that I believe this will be a smash game that just ports over all the characters and thus there's no reason the wouldn't all carry over easily.

I could see 3rd parties being cut, simply because I can't perdict liscencing issues.
We still don't have an official explanation for why Wolf and Snake didn't return but time constraints/licencing was most likely the reason.

Apart from that Pichu and Young Link wasn't anywhere in Brawl's files, so there's also them I guess.

So yeah, I also will be suprised for any cuts. Sakurai never striked me as a developer who sifts through the roster in each game.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Lucas, Lucina, Dr Mario, Dark Pit, etc are a far cry from Luigi, Ganondorf, Falco, and maybe Toon Link in my opinion. I would rather see them included and cloned instead of not included because of being clones. Plus, their Smash 4 versions are a far less clone-y then their Melee counterparts. Even Toon Link.
Sorry Venus, but putting Lucas in the same category as Dark Pit, Lucina, and Dr. Mario is objectively false. They have 3 specials that are vaguely similar but that's it. Lucas is a completely different character, almost all of his aerials, smashes, tilts, and grabs are different. He's more Luigified than Ganondorf or Falco tbh.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, Zero Suit Samus in Brawl was from the GBA remake of the original NES Metroid. So that's two examples.

Oh, and I heard that Pit was added in Brawl because of Famicom Mini Series. So that could be three examples.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I'm expecting something to be done about "the Marth trio". There's not really a good reason for us to have all three, and I'm going to be somewhat angry if Sakurai finds a reason to justify keeping all three of those guys when he cut Wolf in Smash 4.
Here I'll do it for you.
:4marth: He's the OG Lord of Fire Emblem- Graceful Swordman needing high level precision. No way he'll be gone.
:4feroy: Represent the GBA era Renaissance and is a Nostalgia Melee Fan Favourite and Sevond Favourite male in Fire Emblem. Reverse Grip Tip gameplay making a full rushdown swordman, which we don't have.
Also
>2014+4
>Still call Roy a "clone" even after being decloned.

:4lucina: She literally was Free dessert and an Easy mode Marth- nothing to complain about. Second favourite female Behind Lyn and second face of the Fire Emblem Franchise.
There a high chance she's returning either Clone or Luigified.

There- I literally gave you good reason for all of them to come back without ****ting on Wolf- Or being mad that X/Y character come back instead of Wolf.
They might be low priority for Sakurai- but never in his right mind would he cut a character for **** and giggle-

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Here I'll do it for you.
:4marth: He's the OG Lord of Fire Emblem- Graceful Swordman needing high level precision. No way he'll be gone.
:4feroy: Represent the GBA era Renaissance and is a Nostalgia Melee Fan Favourite and Sevond Favourite male in Fire Emblem. Reverse Grip Tip gameplay making a full rushdown swordman, which we don't have.
Also
>2014+4
>Still call Roy a "clone" even after being decloned.

:4lucina: She literally was Free dessert and an Easy mode Marth- nothing to complain about. Second favourite female Behind Lyn and second face of the Fire Emblem Franchise.
There a high chance she's returning either Clone or Luigified.

There- I literally gave you good reason for all of them to come back without ****ting on Wolf- Or being mad that X/Y character come back instead of Wolf.
They might be low priority for Sakurai- but never in his right mind would he cut a character for **** and giggle-
Never said Sakurai would cut any of these guys just for the fun of it. Just that it would seem hypocritical of him to prioritize these three enough to keep them in Smash but not Wolf.

Look, regardless of what they represent and how much you like them, there still isn't a good reason for Sakurai to cut a few characters from Smash 4 and not touch these guys. There's plenty of room for the FE roster to grow, and it should go without saying that three characters sharing the same vanilla swordfighter moveset is a little excessive. I'm sure we could all find a good reason for every character to stay, but in terms of priority, three Marths is not be something Sakurai should be concerned about keeping, or at least not in comparison to everyone else.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Never said Sakurai would cut any of these guys just for the fun of it. Just that it would seem hypocritical of him to prioritize these three enough to keep them in Smash but not Wolf.

Look, regardless of what they represent and how much you like them, there still isn't a good reason for Sakurai to cut a few characters from Smash 4 and not touch these guys. There's plenty of room for the FE roster to grow, and it should go without saying that three characters sharing the same vanilla swordfighter moveset is a little excessive. I'm sure we could all find a good reason for every character to stay, but in terms of priority, three Marths is not be something Sakurai should be concerned about keeping, or at least not in comparison to everyone else.
But they all were low priority-
Lucina literally made it as a clone
And Roy got decloned as nostalgia DLC with a brand new design.
Also while you think it would be Hypocritical for Sakurai- to keep those easily portable character from Wii U to switch- you seems keen to want them gone for Wolf-

I dunno who's more biased here-
Me who just give you reason or representation or you who dissmiss the reason I gave you only going the easy path of "Muh swordman moveset".
I can go the same way as you and tell you that Fox have Wolf special in custom and some Characters have Wolf moves-
Why would he be high priority?

Moving the goal and just hating on characters that didn't took a spot to anyone is dumb-
As dumb as people thinking no smash game will get clones when theyre free gift the devs do to us.

Even more if Smash U was used as a base.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don’t really know that any clone would be considered “low priority” because they weren’t planned. They were last minute extras.

I think Lucina has an edge with just how popular to Fire Emblem she is. Personally, it would be strange to me if she was gone and Robin stayed.

Not that I would be angry really. It would just seem odd.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
But they all were low priority-
Lucina literally made it as a clone
And Roy got decloned as nostalgia DLC with a brand new design.
Also while you think it would be Hypocritical for Sakurai- to keep those easily portable character from Wii U to switch- you seems keen to want them gone for Wolf-

I dunno who's more biased here-
Me who just give you reason or representation or you who dissmiss the reason I gave you only going the easy path of "Muh swordman moveset".
I can go the same way as you and tell you that Fox have Wolf special in custom and some Characters have Wolf moves-
Why would he be high priority?

Moving the goal and just hating on characters that didn't took a spot to anyone is dumb-
As dumb as people thinking no smash game will get clones when theyre free gift the devs do to us.

Even more if Smash U was used as a base.
Again, I'm not saying that these guys are less deserving than Wolf, nor am I saying that Wolf should be a higher priority. I like Wolf, but his absence from Smash 4 was understandable and fair. I just don't think it would necessarily be right for Sakurai to make cuts in the transition to Smash Switch and keep all three of these guys when Wolf was in a similar situation.

I'll admit, I'm not exactly fond of the Marth trio, but I'm not rooting for them to get cut either. It's just that out of all the characters Sakurai could cut, I think either Roy or Lucina should be one of them due to (1) those two already having characters on the roster with near-identical movesets, and (2) FE having room to get more characters in the future.

You're kinda twisting my words around to make it seem like my only base for thinking these guys could get cut is, "Gah!! FE is terrible!! Cut the clones!!"

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I'd much rather see Lucina cut than Roy. At least Roy's moveset was differentiated from Marth, albeit with only six different moves. I also think Lucina is more likely to be cut, rather than Roy, despite her popularity. Roy, along with Mewtwo and Lucas, I feel are decently safe.

Also, comparing Fox, Falco, and Wolf to Marth, Roy, and Lucina doesn't seem right to me.

Fox and Marth are the base characters the others were designed off of.

Falco and Roy are semi-clones of Fox and Marth, respectively, and used to be full-clones of them back in Melee.

Lucina was a last-minute clone of Marth without the tipper mechanic. Wolf was a derivative of Fox, but was made different enough to the point where he wasn't even a semi-clone.

If the "Marth Trio" are going to be compared to another group of fighters, they're more similar to Mario, Luigi, and Dr. Mario.

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice
Here's a question for this thread I've been thinking about.

Would you rather this game came out near the end of this year, as planned, but your 3 most wanted newcomers miss out, or would you prefer the game to get delayed a year for undisclosed reasons and all 3 of them get in?

Personally, I'd take a year's delay if it meant Rex, Mimikyu and Bandana Waddle Dee but I'm curious as to what other people value.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

Would you rather this game came out near the end of this year, as planned, but your 3 most wanted newcomers miss out, or would you prefer the game to get delayed a year for undisclosed reasons and all 3 of them get in?

Personally, I'd take a year's delay if it meant Rex, Mimikyu and Bandana Waddle Dee but I'm curious as to what other people value.
We're already borderline ****posting when the info are a months away and the game less than a year away.

No sane mind would want to wait another years of the waiting hell limbo for a smash game-
Especially when DLC are a common things now

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

I'm almost certain everyone feels the same (unless they have no characters they are looking forward to) especially since no one was expecting to get the game so soon anyway.

Edit: Spoke too soon lol.

I would defintely want more info in-between though like past smash releases. Idk if I could go through over a year of little to no information lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom