• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Yeah honestly, I feel like ridley would only be hype for the super hardcore community thats been asking for him this whole time. For the vast majority of the people that will look at this game, I think almost any 3rd party character would generate more buzz. Its really important to remember that forums like these dont represent the general population at all.

Not saying ridley isnt hype, just saying marketing wise there are plenty of other options that would generate more hype.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Palutena is really great in concept and in her home series.

She really just needs a moveset overhaul and she'll be golden.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
At the moment I don’t even care WHO is revealed. I just want to know how MANY characters will be revealed. Like, there is literally months, not years between the reveal and release of this game. How big of a blowout will E3 be if the game comes out in say September?

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
At the moment I don’t even care WHO is revealed. I just want to know how MANY characters will be revealed. Like, there is literally months, not years between the reveal and release of this game. How big of a blowout will E3 be if the game comes out in say September?
I'm banking on every returning veteran being revealed and at least half of the newcomers during E3, but, my opinions are often frowned upon. ;)

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Just saying, though, Ridley is a distinctively designed dragon, and dragons are popular, so do people actually need to know about the character beforehand to be interested?

He’s not a design that requires you to understand the references to Metroid games to know why such and such moves are in his move set.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
I'm going out on a limb here, but I think Mario might be in the game.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
ITT: Ridley isn't E3 material

excuse me, but this is what will happen at E3 if Ridley was revealed at E3:
break.jpg

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I really hope Miis come back.

They're super fun to play in my opinion.

Even if they aren't good competitively.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I want them cut.
Cutting Miis isn’t so simple, since to cut them is to cut a ginourmous quantity of “characters” with them.
Just imagine how many crazy matchups we’ll lose if they are cut (I mean, mods will certainly be a thing, but I mean legitimately...)

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
3 days left and still nothing spoiling smash 5 for us. we're almost there guys!

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Final calls everyone! Quick before something get leaked. Place yer bets!

Come on Ridley, Simon, and any grass type Pokemon

*Crosses fingers*
Inklings, Ice Climbers, Ridley, King K. Rool, Mimikyu, Simon and Snake

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
We could get something like Brawl, where they reveal 5-6 characters at once.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah honestly, I feel like ridley would only be hype for the super hardcore community thats been asking for him this whole time. For the vast majority of the people that will look at this game, I think almost any 3rd party character would generate more buzz. Its really important to remember that forums like these dont represent the general population at all.

Not saying ridley isnt hype, just saying marketing wise there are plenty of other options that would generate more hype.
Not like there aren't going to be those kind of reveals as well...

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

*Crosses fingers*
One or two mainline Mario characters (likely pool: [Captain] Toad, Daisy, Paper Mario, Geno), King K. Rool, at least one Pokemon character (likely pool: anyone from Gen VI, Gen VII, or Gen VIII*), Ice Climbers, Spring Man*, Rex & Pyra*, Star Man from Pro Wrestling, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro*

* taking post-launch content into account

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman

*Crosses fingers*
Mainly hoping for Ridley here. I've been poking around between here, Gamefaqs, Resetera, even watched a few YouTube vids of E3 Smash predictions, and almost the majority of the Smash community seems to be in agreement: It's time to make Ridley a playable character. I really hope Sakurai changed his mind and delivers. I hope he actually found a way to make Ridley playable.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I figured I would make a photo showcasing who I think are some of the most likely newcomers.
Of course I don't expect all these characters to make it in, and I do expect to see characters make it in who aren't on this list.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I'm hoping we get someone who isn't one of the frequently discussed characters here, that's the most fun kind of reveal, right?
Like, it'll be an actual reveal and not just essentially checking off one of the boxes on the unwritten general Smash community likely / anticipated / wishlist characters checklist.

It might be even more fun getting a character most of us have never heard of, since that means we get to learn about them.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Welllll I'm thinking I might hop off the Internet for a few days. I really don't want any E3 leaks or spoilers. I'll busy myself with Gungeon, Pokemon HG Nuzlocke and Marvel movies. Bye for now.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Palutena was the most boring newcomer and most boring reveal in my opinion. Especially for E3.
For me it was WFT...though that’s not saying too much since they were all awesome

*Crosses fingers*
Captain Toad...I got Inklings and Captain Toad is all I need left

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I'm hoping we get someone who isn't one of the frequently discussed characters here, that's the most fun kind of reveal, right?
Like, it'll be an actual reveal and not just essentially checking off one of the boxes on the unwritten general Smash community likely / anticipated / wishlist characters checklist.

It might be even more fun getting a character most of us have never heard of, since that means we get to learn about them.
I have no doubts Sakurai has a few surprises up his sleeve. He always has...

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Oh, I have my pick...

You all know who it is

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight

You'd need a Japan-Only, Retro, Niche-Game character to hit that point. Most of us here are geeks, and we're pretty aware of what's available to us now.

The last time I was unaware of who characters were was in Brawl. But let me recount the installments where I learned about new characters.

Smash N64 Characters I didn't know: Samus, Captain Falcon, Kirby, Ness.

Melee Characters I didn't know: Marth, Roy, Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers.

Brawl Characters I didn't know: Lucas, Ike. (Though I had heard of Ike within the month of him being announced on the DOJO.)

Smash For Wii U/3DS Characters I didn't know: None.

I doubt this one will surprise me with content I'm unaware of.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
You'd need a Japan-Only, Retro, Niche-Game character to hit that point. Most of us here are geeks, and we're pretty aware of what's available to us now.

The last time I was unaware of who characters were was in Brawl. But let me recount the installments where I learned about new characters.

Smash N64 Characters I didn't know: Samus, Captain Falcon, Kirby, Ness.

Melee Characters I didn't know: Marth, Roy, Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers.

Brawl Characters I didn't know: Lucas, Ike. (Though I had heard of Ike within the month of him being announced on the DOJO.)

Smash For Wii U/3DS Characters I didn't know: None.

I doubt this one will surprise me with content I'm unaware of.
Yeah, it’s probably unlikely, but at least maybe we can get someone we don’t know a lot of specifics about.

Plessie?

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Prediction: There's a shadowy figure up in.the sky and you see a glimpse of purple. Everyone thinks it's Ridley but then the camera zooms in you see its Waluigi swimming in the sky. TOO BAD WALUIGI TIME!

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
For real though.

If you want a cool off the wall newcomer.

Wave Racer.

Wave Race is a series that has been on the N64, Gameboy and Gamecube. It's trademark was renewed recently and I got a feeling they may revisit it sometime soon.

Now, people might (rightly) assume that moveset potential is the biggest hurdle. After all, the characters in Wave Race just.... race on jet skis.

But still, I theorycrafed a bit.

Imagine if the Wave Racer is always on their Jet Ski and always has the engine on. Below them is a small puddle of water, this will allow them to move. This could be justified by a special medallion giving them the ability to summon water.

Is that bull****? Yes.

But it's cool though and it solves the issue of them being able to move on land or.... space sometimes.

The moveset proper would involved things like tricks, spins and tackles. Specials could involve small waves of water and even take cues from Jet Kirby for their side special, storing a charge and unleashes it for a huge tackle that sends them to the other parts of the screen. Their overall playstyle could center around their unique movement style where they would trade traction for immense bursts of speed. If a way, they become an opportunist hit and run character.

Just some thoughts. What do you think?

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
For real though.

If you want a cool off the wall newcomer.

Wave Racer.

Wave Race is a series that has been on the N64, Gameboy and Gamecube. It's trademark was renewed recently and I got a feeling they may revisit it sometime soon.

Now, people might (rightly) assume that moveset potential is the biggest hurdle. After all, the characters in Wave Race just.... race on jet skis.

But still, I theorycrafed a bit.

Imagine if the Wave Racer is always on their Jet Ski and always has the engine on. Below them is a small puddle of water, this will allow them to move. This could be justified by a special medallion giving them the ability to summon water.

Is that bull****? Yes.

But it's cool though.

The moveset proper would involved things like tricks, spins and tackles. Specials could involve small waves of water and even take cues from Jet Kirby for their side special, storing a charge and unleashes it for a huge tackle that sends them to the other parts of the screen. Their overall playstyle could center around their unique movement style where they would trade traction for immense bursts of speed. If a way, they become an opportunist hit and run character.

Just some thoughts. What do you think?
That’s definitely a series in the “I know very few specifics about” category, ahaha...
First thing, though, are there any specific characters in that series that are significant, or would there just be a bunch of different characters skinned over each other?
Having it work in a wave would work, you probably shouldn’t try to explain it with anything, though. The wave racer itself might be a tad large, though (it’d be similar to if Wario were permanently on his bike, right?) so maybe it would need to be scaled down enough, or perhaps be able to fold up, such that the racer could carry it or put it on their back when needed, especially since some animations might work better with the character standing (especially a lot of item use animations,) but I dunno.

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Prediction: There's a shadowy figure up in.the sky and you see a glimpse of purple. Everyone thinks it's Ridley but then the camera zooms in you see its Waluigi swimming in the sky. TOO BAD WALUIGI TIME!
I would absolutely love this trailer. Perhaps even more than my current favorite, 4's Captain Falcon, Robin, and Lucina trailer.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
People are really riding on ridley being announced at e3. I'm like 90% positive if he ever gets in as playable, he gets in as an unlockable meaning he probably wouldnt get unveiled at e3 anyways
Lots of unlockable characters have been revealed early, though. Ike, Sonic, and Snake was unlockable in Brawl and were shown real early.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Ike wasn't unlockable, what are you on about? Marth was unlockable, Ike was default.

Man, people really downplaying the significance of a Ridley reveal. He's more of a Smash in-joke than a Metroid character at this point, so him finally getting in would definitely make waves. It's like why people want Ice Climbers back - no-one cares about the NES game, they represent something different. Ridley represents "never ever"ness in it's longest running form.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
He's more of a Smash in-joke than a Metroid character at this point.
If that's true, then why was he added to Samus Returns as a postgame superboss? No, Ridley is definitely a Metroid character. And the most iconic and recurring one except for Samus.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
The annoying thing about Ridley (and to an extent, other characters in the Melee opening) is that he could’ve been in since that point. Like he’s even only slightly bigger than Samus in the Melee opening. It feels like a no brainer that just hasn’t happened “because reasons”.

It’s like watching a game show and you’re shouting at the idiot at the buzzer when they ask “what’s the biggest thing on this list” and they say elephant instead of Ridley.

...er, the moon, rather.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Again, I’m keeping it low because I don’t want to be disappointed since I learned my lesson from Sm4sh.

A couple veterens, Inklings, and maybe a secret newcomer.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Thoughts on Palutena as someone who is a fan of Kid Icarus Uprising :

I was initially pretty excited for hew moveset even though it was a little out of left field for her to use Powers. Everyone was anticipating a super in depth staff type moveset (which is understandable because she played like a promising staff user in Uprising
when she was controlled by Chaos Kin and fights Pit. I cannot believe Smash 4 spoiled this for people
) and we got the powers instead to show custom moves.
Powers were a pretty integral part of Uprising, but unfortunately many of them weren't properly reflected in her moveset.

At this point, I would have much rather Palutena incorporate the Zodiac powers with some of the other powers in Uprising, especially when the ones they chose left a lot to be desired. Autoreticle would have been a good choice if Smash's homing mechanic wasn't ass, Reflect Barrier is an integral part of Uprising so it is fine (especially in multiplayer mode), Warp was an ok choice (I think Jump Glide or Rocket Jump would be a better default) but Counter ... was a dumb choice. Sakurai could have just used Lightweight as the default. Or he could have used powers like the status ailments, Bumblebee, Spite, Meteor Shower or as I mentioned some of the Zodiac Powers like Aeries Armor or Libra Sponge.

Zodiac Weapons being completely absent from Smash 4 is a huge shame and is probably the only thing for Uprising I want for Smash Switch. I already thought of movesets involving Dark Pit using the Gemini Orbitars back in 2014 before he was even revealed. Sakurai would have missed an opportunity if he doesn't declone him by making this Dark Pit's down special. That is even if he comes back as his own character though:drshrug:

:kirby:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom