• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Hm...so if the three Mii Fighters count as separate characters...

...How would you feel if one of the newcomers we got was a new type of Mii Fighter?
There’s only one Mii character I want.

Wandering Heroes from StreetPass Mii Plaza: Find Mii

They are cats, dogs, and bunnies with swords and shields and magic.

Down+B to switch Wandering Heroes with different shirt colors.

Different shirt colors mean different special moves. Normal moves remain the same between all 12 colors.

FInal Smash have Wandering Heroes teaming up together.

89B69F4E-A0F7-40E9-B6BF-A53C3325F0F8.png

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
At least the character select screen is something to talk about. We've still got 5.75 months to go. This is going to take forever. I'm nervous, I'm exhausted, I'm stressed. Why'd it have to release in December? Why couldn't the September guess have been right?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Guys, it's 68 fighters if you count Pokemon Trainer as 3.

It's 66 if you count them as 1.

Not that hard.
To further explain the ordeal, we have 65 veterans, and 3 newcomers, with one of the newcomers being an echo fighter. That adds up to 68 fighters total.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
So I was checking the About page on the official website, and...
View attachment 148599

I can't tell if this is a typo or not, and it's been bothering me all morning.
There are 65 fighters listed numerically. With all 3 PT Pokemon being numbered separately, and PT himself not being listed at all. However, here, only PT himself counts, so subtract 3 and add 1. Your number goes from 65 minus 3 Pokemon to 62, plus PT to 63. The number on that page includes echo fighters, of which there are 3. Dark Pit, Lucina, and Daisy. So add three to your number.
You now have 66 fighters. The number is correct, it's not a typo.

D

Deleted member

They're totally gonna announce a character soon and I'm totally not being delusional.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
There are 65 fighters listed numerically. With all 3 PT Pokemon being numbered separately, and PT himself not being listed at all. However, here, only PT himself counts, so subtract 3 and add 1. Your number goes from 65 minus 3 Pokemon to 62, plus PT to 63. The number on that page includes echo fighters, of which there are 3. Dark Pit, Lucina, and Daisy. So add three to your number.
You now have 66 fighters. The number is correct, it's not a typo.
However, I think we can all agree that it's stupid to have three different numbering systems on one website.

Staarih

Smash Master
They're not gonna make mistakes on a professional website like this. And if they did, they would fix it asap. I honestly doubt we'll get anything new out of the website, be it "typo's" or "two empty slots after Ridley" or whatever.

That said, it's not like 66 fighters are necessarily all the characters we're getting. If they will edit the "mural", of all things, with newcomers, they will edit a single line of text.

And about the CSS, I don't really mind it whatever the order is. If we think of any other fighting game, the characters are always placed "randomly" and you'll get used to finding the ones you play as. Granted, they're original characters and Smash has the novelty of having pre-existing characters from multiple franchises, but still, it's no biggie really.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Would be odd to announce it after E3, but there is an unlisted video on their channel.
I know you might be right, and yes I saw the posts above. But, we can't be very sure if we really have 66 fighters. As @Lampy said, there is a unlisted video. It might be a new mode or character, and I hope it's not really a misplaced video.

I think 66 fighters is not a typo, it's the real deal, but at the moment it's just the provisional number of fighters. The definitive number of fighters at SSBU varies.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Okay, it's official: the About page is going to drive me nuts.
The number is technically correct. Technically speaking.
But WHY count Pokemon Trainer as one character when he's really three? They should've stuck with that from the beginning if they're going to do that. It's a stupid nitpick, I know, but....
Aaaaaaaaagh.

Getting off that annoying topic, I wouldn't be surprised if they announce at LEAST one more newcomer before the game comes out. I don't think it'll be in the aformentioned private video since it's so early after E3.

D

Deleted member

There's a new private video on Nintendo's youtube channel.
The website lists 66 characters, which is one more than the previous 65.
The stars perfectly align

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
There's a new private video on Nintendo's youtube channel.
The website lists 66 characters, which is one more than the previous 65.
The stars perfectly align
Except 66 is the correct amount if you count Pokémon trainer as one and the echoes as separate, like it says at the bottom of the website

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The one I'd like to see would be Tails as a Sonic echo. I know everyone keeps saying Shadow, but I'm not a fan of the late-90s "let's make everything super edgy Sonic goes to Hot Topic" motif that we already got with DP. Tails was always Sonic's player two, and I used him exclusively in my first video game ever (Sonic 2). I wouldn't want Tails to be too different from Sonic in the first place, but adding a Peach-esque hover from his tail would be a perfect difference for me. I do think Tails has the clout to be a character on his own, but I would like to see most of his moves shared with Sonic since that's how he started.
If Tails gets in, I'd expect a large portion of his moveset to be based off how he was in Sonic the Fighters, similar to Sonic

Sure, but why would he want the rifle for reference?

Geno's is built into his arm.
So are Ray's.
Couldn't he just easily have brought a regular figure with a gun if a gun was all he wanted? Why a gun that is compatible with a mecha? Either there is more, or I'm just reading too much into it.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
But WHY count Pokemon Trainer as one character when he's really three? They should've stuck with that from the beginning if they're going to do that. It's a stupid nitpick, I know, but....
Aaaaaaaaagh.

Getting off that annoying topic, I wouldn't be surprised if they announce at LEAST one more newcomer before the game comes out. I don't think it'll be in the aformentioned private video since it's so early after E3.
Pretty sure its because he takes up one single slot on the CSS.

TheHumanSonikku

Smash Cadet
I think it's ironic how people said Ridley won't make it because he's "too big".

But the same people who hate Ridley and didn't want him in are now complaining about him being "too small". And there's the select few who are upset that certain characters even made it on the roster. Like, I saw youtube comments where the mere sight of Dark Pit or Pichu made them not want the game anymore completely, and many are calling Sakurai and his team "lazy" for it.

D

Deleted member

Except 66 is the correct amount if you count Pokémon trainer as one and the echoes as separate, like it says at the bottom of the website
Nope, it counts the Pokemon Trainer as 3 characters. I can't take a screenshot, but it says 33-35 on the website.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
It'd be pretty awesome if you could reorganize the CSS as you desired in the final game. I doubt that's the case, but then you could organize them however you feel is appropriate, put your favorites to the top, or be a godless heathen and just mix all the characters around randomly.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Ridley was not obvious nor likely really. If it weren't for the Verb leak, few would've thought it had a good chance. The reality is, people were still miffed over him being hard disconfirmed in 4 and then explained that Sakurai felt it out of character for Ridley to not just be playable but made smaller.

This was a serious surprise reveal, if it weren't for the leak.

It doesn't mean Verg is entirely legit, as some of his sources could be lying/wrong, but the Ridley bit was not an easy guess in the first place.
I agree it wasn't an easy guess, but it was a common one. I don't know the real number but anecdotally I'd guess maybe half of all alleged smash leaks had Ridley. Does it make sense that they gambled on Ridley? Probably not. But they still did. Which makes that particular reveal a hard one to get any real sense of Verg's credibility. It's increased somewhat for sure but it's hard to say by how much. If Simon Belmont is confirmed though that'll help way more imo.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
Aaaaaaaaagh.

It's because when you pick Pokemon Trainer on the character select, you also have the option to select which Pokemon you start off with. Not to mention that when you pick Pokemon trainer, he never deals or receives damage - his Pokemon do. Plus you can go matches where you only use Pokemon if you have good survivability or switch immediately upon respawning.

Staarih

Smash Master
Aaaaaaaaagh
I guess it's because he's the only transformation character - you pick only PKMN Trainer from the CSS even if you switch around between the Pokémon, but for the Mii's or Echo's etc, you can choose any of them and stick with the same one throughout the match.

I dunno, the inconsistency of the numbering is sorta weird haha.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
I agree it wasn't an easy guess, but it was a common one. I don't know the real number but anecdotally I'd guess maybe half of all alleged smash leaks had Ridley. Does it make sense that they gambled on Ridley? Probably not. But they still did. Which makes that particular reveal a hard one to get any real sense of Verg's credibility. It's increased somewhat for sure but it's hard to say by how much. If Simon Belmont is confirmed though that'll help way more imo.
I don’t think that’s super comparable.

A lot of people desired Ridley, but most people didn’t expect him. It was like... “man, I really WANT Ridley in Smash Bros., but it’s been made very clear that it won’t happen.”

To stake your credibility as a leaker by absolutely insisting such a “controversial” character is a pretty strong implication this dude has SOME inside info.

D

Deleted member

Okay, so I checked the website again and appearently it does say Pokemon Trainer counts as one... yet, the fighters page counts him as three. Talk about an inconsistency.
The private video could very well just be a placeholder for a future announcement, so false alarm everyone.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
One thing I've noticed recently is that Little Mac actually smiles in one of his taunts. I don't the he ever smiled in the last game.
IMG_1471.JPG
Of course they have Mario smiling for the first time in Smash in some of his taunts too, but I'm sure everyone has noticed that by now.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Aaaaaaaaagh.

My understanding is that the 66 is the number of individual spots on the roster, Pokemon trainer takes up 1 roster spot.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Earlier someone mentioned the new private video on the smash bros ultimate playlist on nintendo's youtube channel
1529162369257.png

There's a minute chance, but it's theoretically possible, that Belmont gets shown in smash with the unveiling of a new castlevania title on switch (if the embargo on it actually does end Wednesday like some sources have said)
I wouldn't bet on it though, the private video could easily be another E3 showcase.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I doubt Sakurai would do anything like that this time around, when he said that the conditions for unlocking everyone were going to be streamlined.
That's right

But definatly not so easy it takes less than 24 hours to unlock everybody besides obviously you still got to beat them on a 1v1 battle as well he's never removing that factor by far

And also not so long it takes a full year

Definitely going to have to go into all modes to unlock everybody and different difficulties of stuff with different methods I'm saying don't expect them to be immensely easy to unlock there's probably going to be hard difficulty methods to unlock some of the characters

Iridium

Smash Hero
Although we may never see them in competitive play, ladder attacks will be interesting to see in casual play, and I want to see what will happen with them.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
That's right

But definatly not so easy it takes less than 24 hours to unlock everybody besides obviously you still got to beat them on a 1v1 battle as well he's never removing that factor by far

Definitely going to have to go into all modes to unlock everybody and different difficulties of stuff with different methods I'm saying don't expect them to be immensely easy to unlock there's probably going to be hard difficulty methods to unlock some of the characters
Wait a minute, what if Smash did the same thing that Mario Maker did, and have several characters be unlocked every day for an entire week?

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I don’t think that’s super comparable.

A lot of people desired Ridley, but most people didn’t expect him. It was like... “man, I really WANT Ridley in Smash Bros., but it’s been made very clear that it won’t happen.”

To stake your credibility as a leaker by absolutely insisting such a “controversial” character is a pretty strong implication this dude has SOME inside info.
Your point about him steaking his credibility as leaker on this would be well taken, but I'm not convinced he did. He's been wrong before but we're still talking about his leak. If he got Ridley wrong but got more stuff right in future I'm not sure his credibility would be in a different place then it is now.

Sure he still wants to pick fighters he believes will happen, but as I've said a number of people already believed this. Did it make sense for them to? No. but they still did. In order to differentiate himself from those lucky peeps it'd really help to have a correct guess that fewer were already guessing.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
That's right

I was saying that I doubt that a requirement such as playing for at least 20 hours to unlock a character is likely not happening again since it was ridiculously annoying, and it goes against the claim that requirements for unlocking everyone will be streamlined and not feel like taking forever or anything.

Anyways, lets change from fighting over whether or not the number 65 is equal to 68 to a previous topic: We have 60 or more unlockable characters in Ultimate. What kind of new unlock conditions will there be? Who will likely be early unlockables, and who will be late unlockables? Will some characters require others to be unlocked before they can be unlocked?

I also doubt that most stages will be available from the start, though, so should each character come with a stage as well, or should some stages have different requirements for unlocking rather than always coming with a character? It would probably be best if characters just came with their "home stage" to make getting every stage also not take forever.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I wonder if “66” on the Smash website means there are 66 slots so far.

“Pokémon Trainer counts as one; number includes Echo Fighters”

I’m assuming that means Mii Fighters don’t count as one and now have their own slots.

1. :4mario:
  2. :4dk:
  3. :4link:
  4. :4samus:
  5. :4yoshi:
  6. :4kirby:
  7. :4fox:
  8. :4pikachu:
  9. :4luigi:
  10. :4ness:
  11. :4falcon:
  12. :4jigglypuff:
  13. :4peach:
  14. :4peach: Daisy
  15. :4bowser:
  16. :popo:
  17. :4sheik:
  18. :4zelda:
  19. :4drmario:
  20. :pichumelee:
  21. :4falco:
  22. :4marth:
  23. :4lucina:
  24. :younglinkmelee:
  25. :4ganondorf:
  26. :4mewtwo:
  27. :4feroy:
  28. :4gaw:
  29. :4metaknight:
  30. :4pit:
  31. :4darkpit:
  32. :4zss:
  33. :4wario:
  34. :snake:
  35. :4myfriends:
  36. :pt::squirtle::ivysaur::4charizard:
  37. :4diddy:
  38. :4lucas:
  39. :4sonic:
  40. :4dedede:
  41. :4olimar:
  42. :4lucario:
  43. :4rob:
  44. :4tlink:
  45. :wolf:
  46. :4villager:
  47. :4megaman:
  48. :4wiifit:
  49. :rosalina:
  50. :4littlemac:
  51. :4greninja:
  52. :4miibrawl:
  53. :4miisword:
  54. :4miigun:
  55. :4palutena:
  56. :4pacman:
  57. :4robinm:
  58. :4shulk:
  59. :4bowserjr:
  60. :4duckhunt:
  61. :4ryu:
  62. :4cloud:
  63. :4corrin:
  64. :4bayonetta:
  65. :substitute: Inkling
  66. :substitute: Ridley

Assuming there are 12 character slots per row... we might get about 72 slots in total. Sakurai did say not to expect too many newcomers in this game.

:4mario::4dk::4link::4samus::4yoshi::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu::4luigi::4ness::4falcon::4jigglypuff:
:4peach::4peach::4bowser::popo::4sheik::4zelda::4drmario::pichumelee::4falco::4marth::4lucina::younglinkmelee:
:4ganondorf::4mewtwo::4feroy::4gaw::4metaknight::4pit::4darkpit::4zss::4wario::snake::4myfriends::pt:
:4diddy::4lucas::4sonic::4dedede::4olimar::4lucario::4rob::4tlink::wolf::4villager::4megaman::4wiifit:
:rosalina::4littlemac::4greninja::4miibrawl::4miisword::4miigun::4palutena::4pacman::4robinm::4shulk::4bowserjr::4duckhunt:
:4ryu::4cloud::4corrin::4bayonetta::substitute::substitute::substitute::substitute::substitute::substitute::substitute::substitute:

Could we possibly have only 9 newcomers? We have 3 so far... Inkling, Daisy, and Ridley. We could possibly get only 6 more newcomers.

How many months are there before Smash Ultimate comes out? 6 months!

July newcomer
August newcomer
September newcomer
October newcomer
November newcomer
December newcomer

Oh wait... I forgot about the Random slot. I guess it could be only 5 more newcomers. No December newcomer since the game comes out at the end of the first week anyway. Maybe we could have only 8 newcomers in total. Yeah, better to keep our expectations very, very low this time.
That's the pretty much the basis for my '7-Slot Theory', but I'd change how you've got the slots a bit.

Even though the CSS itself really doesn't impact roster creation, leaving the original 12 at the top, then unlocking more characters along the way seems plausible. With the last slot being the random, there would be seven remaining slots for possible newcomers. There's five full months between now and release, so there'd be a newcomer in July, August, September, October, and November. The remaining two could be revealed along side others if they're from the same series, are 'Echo' fighters, or if there's a special event that calls for 3 reveals at once.

It's a long-shot, but I think it's at least something to go by.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Ya'know what could happen now?

:pichumelee::4pikachu: are having some family bonding :4pikachu: gets nabbed by Mimikyu and :pichumelee: doesn't notice at first but catches on making mimkyu sad and initiate conflict.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
There’s only one Mii character I want.

Wandering Heroes from StreetPass Mii Plaza: Find Mii

They are cats, dogs, and bunnies with swords and shields and magic.

Down+B to switch Wandering Heroes with different shirt colors.

Different shirt colors mean different special moves. Normal moves remain the same between all 12 colors.

FInal Smash have Wandering Heroes teaming up together.

View attachment 148605
They should just give the option for the Mii fighters to have the animal heads

Anyone know if Link can still use his bomb squad of recover? Without that and his hook-shot he's gonna be in trouble.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
They should just give the option for the Mii fighters to have the animal heads

Anyone know if Link can still use his bomb squad of recover? Without that and his hook-shot he's gonna be in trouble.
Z-drop to down special. It's much more reliable than waiting for his bomb to just blow up, but I'd rather have the grappling hook.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ya'know what could happen now?

:pichumelee::4pikachu: are having some family bonding :4pikachu: gets nabbed by Mimikyu and :pichumelee: doesn't notice at first but catches on making mimkyu sad and initiate conflict.
And then Mimikyu returns to its Poke Ball.

Last edited by a moderator:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
He can pull out a bomb, Z-drop, immediate detonation, recovering Snake-style.

Plus, I think he gains his double jump if hit out of Spin Attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom