• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
How would people react to a Team Rocket character getting in instead of any of the Gen 7 reps?
I'd be okay with it. Albeit, Jessie and James are anime antagonists, so perhaps replace them with Giovanni using Meowth, who is still his official Trainer. Add any various alts, and maybe put in Jessie and James as one of the many alts. Including the two Rocket Grunt types. You just need 3 more alts for a basic 8. You could also use the various leaders of the enemy teams too.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
With the idea of Ms. Pac-Man being an echo of Pac-Man floating around, I tried to find out what the issue was, as my understanding wasn't the same as others'. Here's a pretty interesting (but long) article about it:

https://www.fastcompany.com/3067296...ed-ms-pac-man-a-35th-anniversary-oral-history

I guess General Computer Corporation would have to sign-off on the rights, which would require Namco acknowledging that Ms. Pac-Man was not developed by them. She did have a cameo in the Wii U Smash, so it must at least be partially ok.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Venomously. I had to sit through enough Gen 1 milking for a lifetime. If I had to chew on them putting more Gen 1 in Smash and ignoring Gen 7 I would be livid.
Well Gen 1 is the core of Pokemon, all the gens after that are basically just DLC.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
How would people react to a Team Rocket character getting in instead of any of the Gen 7 reps?
I'm going to be as honest as possible with my reaction:
"More gen one? **** this ****"

I'm sick of Game Freak ignoring 18 years of Pokemon history with their gen one pandering. I've been a diehard Pokemon fanboy since I can remember (I was two when Pokemon came out), I was unstoppable during my school life. Random people I never even knew came up to me for Pokemon advice, I mentored the guy who went to become the local champ and make an impressively big Pokemon group. Pokemon has always been an important part of my life. I played and bonded with my family, friends, strangers in person and online, which is a lot considering my crippling anxiety. Aside from Smash, it's the only thing that connected me to people.

It blows to see Game Freak constantly ignore anything not gen one, like all those years of Pokemon growth mean **** to them. Pokemon Go was understandable, but still sucked, all that constant gen one pandering in XY and SM were the worst thing about the generations by far. Instead of creative Alolan variants all they shoved were gen one Pokemon. Were those gen one starters in XY seriously necessary? Urgh.
Let's Go genuinely makes me feel sad. It's like I'm not allowed to enjoy post gen one.
"You can take your favorite Pokemon with you in the new Pokeball accessory! You can see ur fave follow you around!" No the **** I can't, none of my favorites are in the stupid game.

If they hadn't announced that a core new gen is coming up I don't know how disappointed I'd be. My life is **** enough for video games, my only escape, to do that to me

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
With the idea of Ms. Pac-Man being an echo of Pac-Man floating around, I tried to find out what the issue was, as my understanding wasn't the same as others'. Here's a pretty interesting (but long) article about it:

https://www.fastcompany.com/3067296...ed-ms-pac-man-a-35th-anniversary-oral-history

I guess General Computer Corporation would have to sign-off on the rights, which would require Namco acknowledging that Ms. Pac-Man was not developed by them. She did have a cameo in the Wii U Smash, so it must at least be partially ok.
There is no issue. This is just another legal thing that Smash fans have no idea about. These guys attempted to make a Pac-Man clone, rename it "Ms. Pac-Man" to skirt copyright issues. It didn't, and Namco took them and Midway, their publisher, to court. Now Namco owns Ms. Pac-Man entirely, because the character was not sufficiently different enough to legally distinguish itself as a unique IP.

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
They already cut Little Mac's costumes down to 8.
The limited number of costumes might have just for the demo, and thats for all characters since I recall ridley had 8 costumes, though none of them included Meta Ridley which was shown in his trailer. Could be wrong though.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
Not appearance. Personality. Black characters have strong personalities that appeals beyond Smash. Doc Louis is already the perfect representation of AA's in Smash.
yet again elma blantly contradicts that. and what black characters are you referring to "strong personalities". i mean rodin was added and he has the temperament of snake.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
The one gen I wouldn't like if they ignore they already ignored (Gen V), so if they skip Gen VII for another Gen I wouldn't mind.
And in Brawl they didn't skip Lucario for Pokemon Trainer so I wouldn't be worried if we got Team Rocket. Mimikyu or Decidueye would definitely hidden somewhere.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
So just for fun, if each represented franchise were to get one more representative, who would you pick?

Mario: Waluigi
Donkey Kong: King K Rool
Zelda: Skull Kid
Metroid: Dark Samus
Kirby: Bandana Dee
Star Fox: Slippy
Pokemon: Decidueye
F-zero: Samurai Goroh
Earthbound/Mother: Porky
Fire Emblem: Chrom
Kid Icarus: Medusa
Pikmin: Alph (own character)
Animal Crossing: Tom Noom
Punch Out: King Hippo
Xenoblade: Rex
Metal Gear: Gray Fox
Sonic: Tails
Mega Man: Zero
Pac-Man: Mrs. Pac-man
Street Fighter: Blanka
Final Fantasy: Sephiroth
Bayonetta: Rodin
Splatoon: Octolings

I left out a few franchises that didn't really have other characters.
:ultmario:- Captain Toad
:ultlink:- Impa
:ultpikachu:- Team Rocket
:ultdk:- Dixie or K Rool
:ultwario:- Ashley
:ultkirby:- Bandana Dee
:ultsamus:- Anthony
:ultpit:- Viridi
:ultmarth:- Celica or new FE Lord
:ultness:- Ninten
:ultfox:- Peppy/Slippy combo
:ultinkling:-Octolings
:ultvillager:- Isabelle or Tom Nook
:ultshulk:- Pyra/Myphra(?)
:ultsonic:- Shadow or Tails
:ultbayonetta:- Jeanne
:ultfalcon::ultcloud::ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultlittlemac::ultmegaman::ultmiifighters::ultgnw::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultryu::ultsnake::ultwiifittrainer:-none

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
There is no issue. This is just another legal thing that Smash fans have no idea about. These guys attempted to make a Pac-Man clone, rename it "Ms. Pac-Man" to skirt copyright issues. It didn't, and Namco took them and Midway, their publisher, to court. Now Namco owns Ms. Pac-Man entirely, because the character was not sufficiently different enough to legally distinguish itself as a unique IP.
That was my understanding, but this article belies that version. Do you have a source for that version?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Oh boy..... I live somewhat close to here.
I'm ready to wait hours in a line to play Ridley
Nice. You think there will be any reveals at this event? Probably not, but doesn't hurt to ask, right?

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Well Gen 1 is the core of Pokemon, all the gens after that are basically just DLC.
No. They aren't. Guess every Mario game after the first is just DLC. I don't even know why I'm bothering to humor you.

Gen 1 is the most toxic generation of all of Pokemon. Its constantly talked about like its the greatest thing ever by people that stopped caring about Pokemon when they were 10. Gamefreak keeps going back to it ****ing on us fans who've continued supporting their games for years just to appease the clowns who all jumped the Go bandwagon. Gen 1 is trash. The arguments made by Genwunners are trash. "Lmao Trubbish is such unoriginal garbage," and "REALLY, an Ice Cream Pokemon? Gamefreak is running out of ideas." Meanwhile a god**** eyeball with two magnets to the side and a pile of mud. Oh and birds. Just birds.

I'm ranting way too much for this silly comment but THIS is what makes me mad. Constantly having to listen to "oh my god Pokemon is still the same as its always been." Followed by "oh my god they took away gyms? HOW DARE THEY LOSE THE CORE OF POKEMON," made by the exact same people who think Gen 1 is the greatest thing to have ever existed in gaming history. They are stuck so far up their own ***es that they won't let the series grow and Gamefreak eats it up like a starving dog.

You want Meowth in Smash? FINE. They better not ignore another gen for him though.

EDIT: Yes, I cussed excessively here. Sue me.

I'm going to be as honest as possible with my reaction:
"More gen one? **** this ****"

I'm sick of Game Freak ignoring 18 years of Pokemon history with their gen one pandering. I've been a diehard Pokemon fanboy since I can remember (I was two when Pokemon came out), I was unstoppable during my school life. Random people I never even knew came up to me for Pokemon advice, I mentored the guy who went to become the local champ and make an impressively big Pokemon group. Pokemon has always been an important part of my life. I played and bonded with my family, friends, strangers in person and online, which is a lot considering my crippling anxiety. Aside from Smash, it's the only thing that connected me to people.

It blows to see Game Freak constantly ignore anything not gen one, like all those years of Pokemon growth mean **** to them. Pokemon Go was understandable, but still sucked, all that constant gen one pandering in XY and SM were the worst thing about the generations by far. Instead of creative Alolan variants all they shoved were gen one Pokemon. Were those gen one starters in XY seriously necessary? Urgh.
Let's Go genuinely makes me feel sad. It's like I'm not allowed to enjoy post gen one.
"You can take your favorite Pokemon with you in the new Pokeball accessory! You can see ur fave follow you around!" No the **** I can't, none of my favorites are in the stupid game.

If they hadn't announced that a core new gen is coming up I don't know how disappointed I'd be. My life is **** enough for video games, my only escape, to do that to me
THANK YOU! Jeez I thought I was the only one for a minute. Pokemon Go made a lot more money they expected and I'm certain Lets Go is to try and tap back into that dry well. It hurts me too because they could have made their first Switch game something to knock all Pokemon fan's socks off but instead they again attempt to pander to people that don't give a **** about the series. They all just jumped onto Go because it was the hot new thing and then dropped it as soon as something else became convenient. Its so aggravating.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I doubt Sakurai would go to a tournament to reveal a character. They want it revealed to as many Nintendo fans possible.

But hey, if there's another fighting game character in the game, you can't beat CEO or EVO for a reveal. They would need to advertise the tournament and confirm they are revealing something there for maximum views, though.

Ethan7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BulbapediaEditor
Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman I noticed you were talking a lot about Ashley. Anyways, why do you think she is so popular in Japan. Until appearing as an assist trophy in Smash 4, I never even heard of her. While in Japan, she is supposedly at least a somewhat popular character.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
That was my understanding, but this article belies that version. Do you have a source for that version?
This article itself states they went to legal arbitration over the character, and in the years since then, Ms. Pac-Man has been used by Namco quite often. She's even on the Pac-Land stage. This article muddies the story a bit because its from the perspective of the guys who created her, and they want to preserve their own legacy. They even say admit that. It's not unlike the issues WB/DC have had with with Siegel and Shuster estates over the rights to Superman.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I'm just hoping there will be different characters that weren't in the E3 demo at CEO to know the other character's changes.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman I noticed you were talking a lot about Ashley. Anyways, why do you think she is so popular in Japan. Until appearing as an assist trophy in Smash 4, I never even heard of her. While in Japan, she is supposedly at least a somewhat popular character.
While I'm not the best to answer this question.

She has a ton of merchandise for sale in Japan. Merchandise tends to only be made for popular and marketable characters or characters that a company wants to push.

She has sold other games outside of the WarioWare franchise in Japan.

She has like a bazillion badges for the 3DS. A lot of them even featuring her dressing up and crossing over into other popular Japanese favorites like Monster Hunter.

It is also because of her popularity in Japan she was given the assist trophy treatment in the first place and later her Mii Fighter costume for DLC.

I'm just hoping there will be different characters that weren't in the E3 demo at CEO to know the other character's changes.
I'm just hoping to see Peach/Daisy to see more of their differences.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I hope we get a demo.

I don't even care if it's just 5 characters like the 3DS demo.
Hell, I don't even care if it's just TWO. I just want to get my hands on some version of the game.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Don't know if this has been posted here yet (holy **** there's a lot of people here what are we all doin' havin a party? Am I invited)? But uh

I stole this from a Discord.
Go at it

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
This article itself states they went to legal arbitration over the character, and in the years since then, Ms. Pac-Man has been used by Namco quite often. She's even on the Pac-Land stage. This article muddies the story a bit because its from the perspective of the guys who created her, and they want to preserve their own legacy. They even say admit that. It's not unlike the issues WB/DC have had with with Siegel and Shuster estates over the rights to Superman.
Yeah, and the rights to Superboy are even more complicated, so I thought it was along those lines. I don't trust Smashboards as a source (love you all, but you spread misinformation FAST), so that's why I went for independent confirmation. This article was the only one I found so far that had anything attributable to any of the parties. The GCC people claim that they were in arbitration with Namco, and they initiated the legal proceedings for their own benefit as creators, which is quite different from Namco pursuing legal action against Midway.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Oh boy..... I live somewhat close to here.
I'm ready to wait hours in a line to play Ridley
Oh nice. I usually go and I have friends that work it. Might go try it out since it so close. Odd they are doing it in Daytona this year rather than in Orlando but whatever.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Don't know if this has been posted here yet (holy **** there's a lot of people here what are we all doin' havin a party? Am I invited)? But uh

Go at it
I select these five: :ultlucas::ultness::ultwolf::ultganondorf::ultfalco:

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I hope we get a demo.

I don't even care if it's just 5 characters like the 3DS demo.
Hell, I don't even care if it's just TWO. I just want to get my hands on some version of the game.
The only way we get a Demo is if they reveal everything beforehand.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Here's a list of all the MIA assist trophies that existed in Smash 4, but have yet to be seen in Smash Ultimate.

01 - Ashley
02 - Chain Chomp
03 - Dark Samus
04 - Devil
05 - Dillon
06 - Elec Man
07 - Isabelle
08 - Kat & Ana
09 - Lakitu
10 - Magnus
11 - Nightmare
12 - Phosphora
13 - Prince Sable
14 - Saki
15 - Shadow
16 - Skull Kid
17 - Tingle

We currently know of approximately 30 assist trophies.
The direct informed us of over 50 assist trophies will be in this game.

Here's a list of the ones MIA after Brawl.

01 - Barbara
02 - Excitebikes
03 - Gray Fox
04 - Helirin
05 - Isaac
06 - Jill
07 - Mr. Restti
08 - Ray MK

If they all came back it would be just a little over 50 assist trophies... which fits with the projected number stated by Sakurai in the direct.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
The only way we get a Demo is if they reveal everything beforehand.
Wat. Why? What kind of logic is that?

EDIT: Forgot about the constant data mining. Don't hit me for I bruise easily.

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord

Go at it
Picking five with how good the roster changes are looking is too hard, but I guess :ultlink::ultshulk::ultmarth::ultike::ultwolf:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Chain Chomp is the Mario Rep. He was such a good boy in Mario Tennis Aces that Sakurai saw him and decided to add him as the sports rep.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Go at it
:ultlittlemac::ultryu::ultsnake::ultdoc::ultshulk:
That was easy.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Go at it
I go with...

Sonic
Megaman
Wolf
Ridley
Mewtwo

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Oh nice. I usually go and I have friends that work it. Might go try it out since it so close. Odd they are doing it in Daytona this year rather than in Orlando but whatever.
I bet they choose that location because they're gonna reveal The Hornet from Daytona USA as a playable character. :troll:

Go at it
Sonic, Kirby, Ness, Lucina, and Inkling

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I was 11 i think when gen 1 came to the west and i even knew about it for like a year or so before that thanks to nintendo power and my misinterpreting "pocket monsters" as "monster in my pocket" (an old NES game and little rubber collectable figure monster series from the late 80s early 90s i loved) and getting super into trying to find out all i could about this craze in japan before it got here as i thought it was the return of THAT series i loved at first (yup totally hipster about being into pokemon earlier than most but its true!), i soon learned "pokemon" was something different but it didnt matter cause collecting monsters (even if these werent vampires and werewolfs and stuff like monster in my pocket) had me hooked!

anyway my point being im about as gen 1 as you can get and gen 2 is still my favorite so i totally feel the gen 1 over saturation and im the target audience they're suppose to be pandering that to... though to be fair by the time we got pokemon over here gen 2 was on its way (ho-oh in epsiode 1 of the anime anybody? explain "gen1 only" to that!!!) and anyone i know who claims theres only 151 REAL pokemon are usually so casual and unknowing of the series when i bring up togepi or marill or steelix or even lugia they think they are gen 1 pokemon, like half of gen2 most normies think are gen 1 pokemon honestly.

but yeah id be happy to see more gens of pokemon represented, im very glad we got squirtle/ivysaur back and even more shocked (heh pun) about pichu! that covers gen2 at least a bit but some others would be nice, sadly im thinking the base roster is so tight right now we wont see another pokemon til DLC but i could be wrong pokemon is huge if any series warrants another rep after getting three returning its pokemon.

Last edited:

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman

They literally explained directly after announcing those games that Let's Go! is part of an endeavor to divide the series in two between "hardcore" and casual titles. If they can follow through on their promise Let's Go! might be the best thing to happen to Pokemon as a franchise. It allows GameFreak to address the demands of both casual and hardcore fans separately as opposed to producing more games like Gens VI and VII which, in an attempt to strike a middle ground between the two, left both groups feeling disappointed and like their requests were not addressed.

It has to be accepted that "casual" fans are just as legitimate of an audience and should have their requests addressed as well. And it makes a lot more sense to address their requests in an independent game rather than dealing with the conflicting requests of hardcore fans in one conglomerate game.

And to be honest, I wouldn't consider seeing Team Rocket in Smash as "gen 1 pandering" considering the constant significance of the group to the series. And especially considering that there are really mostly very unconvincing choices for gen VII representatives. I seriously expect there to be no new Pokemon representative in the game on launch, with a gen VIII rep coming in as DLC.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I'd love a Pokemon Trainer Gen 3 variant. Both trainers are iconic, and all the starters are too.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
(This is weird because the new icons don't actually load on any of my devices) How do I get access to these chic and stylish icons? I can't seem to see or use them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom