• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Maybe, but it feels like one of those cases where if Retro wanted to bring him back they would've done it in returns tbh, they seem to just wanna do their own thing tbh. But if the demand is big enough I could see them doing it, although they didn't for tropical freeze so I guess the demand wasn't quite big enough back then. It's a shame they didn't bring him back for returns though tbh, we could've got him in smash 4 and then dixie in ultimate and everything would've been great, not to say we can't get both now but this situation is giving me anxiety lmao.
While you aren't wrong, I think the biggest indicator of his popularity would have been the ballot, which would not have affected development for TF. I just don't think that Nintendo really has a hand on the pulse of what is popular on Smashboards, and really nor should they because it likely isn't a representative sample. So even if they did know he was popular here at the time, that doesn't necessarily mean that they expected he was popular more broadly. Ballot on the other hand could possibly have changed that.

Shroob

Sup?
Unrelated but...

Am I the only one disappointed that Ridley's not on the background image at all here?

Seventeen years of want, and he's now too big for the background?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
While you aren't wrong, I think the biggest indicator of his popularity would have been the ballot, which would not have affected development for TF. I just don't think that Nintendo really has a hand on the pulse of what is popular on Smashboards, and really nor should they because it likely isn't a representative sample. So even if they did know he was popular here at the time, that doesn't necessarily mean that they expected he was popular more broadly. Ballot on the other hand could possibly have changed that.
Still, they must have known he was pretty popular without the ballot, even outside of smashboards and the like he's still been a pretty well requested character and there was a lot of outcry about him being left out of returns and then later tropical freeze

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I really wish Sakurai would put X amount of '???' spaces up on the new site to reflect how many newcomers there were.

Bonus points if he did ???E for Echoes.

Shroob

Sup?
I really wish Sakurai would put X amount of '???' spaces up on the new site to reflect how many newcomers there were.

As much as I think everyone would like it, depending on how many there are, people would complain.

"Not an arbitrary number?" > ***** and moan

"More than expected?" > "Yeah, they're really just gonna be a bunch of clones this game, how original"

It's lose/lose.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord

On one hand, this would ruin some of the speculation. On the other, it would help to curb nonsense theories like "the final five" if anyone remembers that.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
As much as I think everyone would like it, depending on how many there are, people would complain.

"Not an arbitrary number?" > ***** and moan

"More than expected?" > "Yeah, they're really just gonna be a bunch of clones this game, how original"

It's lose/lose.
Yeah, I just think I'd prefer the lesser of two evils and not have to deal with the salty people when it's less than they expected and they throw a Dudley Dursley tantrum.

On one hand, this ruin some of the speculation. On the other, it would help to curb nonsense theories like "the final five" if anyone remembers that.
Haha oh that Final Five. We really make up some BS as a community.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Unrelated but...

Am I the only one disappointed that Ridley's not on the background image at all here?

Seventeen years of want, and he's now too big for the background?
Honestly after Ridleyboards, I'm shockingly okay with not having Ridley everywhere.

Even then I'm sure the current template is a placeholder, and will also be bombarded with requests whenever the next newcomers get shown off.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The least hype thing about Smash Ultimate to me is having to unlock everyone.

Granted I could change my mind once I start playing, but going back to just the original N64 roster as starters when you're advertising people like Ridley and Inklings to me? Get. Out.

Shroob

Sup?

Granted I could change my mind once I start playing, but going back to just the original N64 roster as starters when you're advertising people like Ridley and Inklings to me? Get. Out.
Likewise, I'm the exact opposite.

I hated how Smash 4 gave you basically all of the roster right at the start. I long for the days of playing Melee and that siren blaring at max volume with "WARNING! CHALLENGER APPROACHING!"

KMDP

Smash Legend

TBH, I like the idea of having to unlock everyone. As Sakurai himself said, there's this feeling of accomplishment you get having to earn the characters, and it might make you use someone you wouldn't have otherwise (which might also warm you to that character).

...Granted, I normally don't like that "try it, you might like it!" idea. I strongly disliked that British PS3s have Singstar bolted into their menus past a certain update (this happened years ago), and the response from their social media rep boiled down to that exact quote after the userbase complained.

To clarify, I don't hate Singstar, it just bothers me that I had to have it on my PS3 menu.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I loved unlocking things. Smash 4 just threw too many characters at my face at once. When I unlocked a character it felt more special and it made me more inclined to test them out than otherwise. I like the direction Ultimate is taking in that aspect.

D

Deleted member

I like unlocking stuff, but I'd rather have a nice balance between starters and unlockables, ala Brawl's approach.
The fact Sm4sh basically gave you everyone at the start was baffling, but Ultimate's approach is way too extreme imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Originality

Smash Journeyman

I completely agree with you. I hope that when Sakurai says the process is streamlined he really means it

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
IMG_3875.JPG

No sign of ashley in this new japanese magazine spread about the upcoming wario game... though maybe shes just a later character and they dont want to reveal her stuff yet.

Last edited:

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I really hope they're not a pain. Brawl had a great unlock system, Melee's on the other hand was rather strenuous and I don't want to go through that again.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I really hope they're not a pain. Brawl had a great unlock system, Melee's on the other hand was rather strenuous and I don't want to go through that again.
Having to play for 20 (5 if using 4 players/controllers) just for Mewtwo (and G&W) is, in hindsight, a kind of extreme requirement.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I agree, although I do think it'd be funny if they brought back Mewtwos just for a laugh as one potential way to unlock him.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
"Ashley's too popular, guys. We better cut her entirely."
kind of a classic nintendo move to do honestly...

but seriously i doubt it changes her chances at all what so ever, im sure shes just a later game character there and they are going over the beginning of the games mini games.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Ashley has art for the new WarioWare already I believe. They've most certainly not removed her from the series.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Okay, so I got my internet back and I FINALLY got finished with my "exposure tier list" as of right now. Who was shown the most and who was left out cold?

Note that I count :ultpokemontrainer: and :ultmiifighters: one character each.

So here's how I did it. I gave 30 points to the 30 characters who were in the E3 build. I also gave :ultinkling: and :ultridley: 10 points out of the gate for having an in-depth showcase in the Direct and for having a massive reveal trailer respectively. I gave 5 points to the characters who got showcased right after the "Everyone Is Here" trailer, which was all but 17 characters. Even if it was as small as showing that Olimar can get a cracked helmet, I still consider that more pertinent information than a single cameo. I also went through the direct and the character trailers to see how many scenes the characters showed up in and gave 1 point for each time. I excluded the "Everyone is Here" trailer and the characters showing up in their own trailers as those are treated equally with one another. And finally, there are exactly 400 still images on the Smash Ultimate site that actually show the game as I am typing this out. I of course gave 1 point for anyone who appeared and excluded the characters who were shown in their own character pages (e.g. Mario has six images on his page and I didn't count him in those pics).

Anyways, here's the exposure tier list:

(S)SPOTLIGHT HOGS (61+):

:ultsamus:67
:ultmario:63
:ultfox:62

(A)THE TALK-OF-THE-TOWN (51-60):

:ultkirby:60
:ultpikachu::ultganondorf::ultpit::ultlittlemac:56
:ultlink:55
:ultdk::ultmarth::ultvillager::ultpacman:53
:ultpokemontrainer:52
:ultzelda:51

(B)ENOUGH ATTENTION (39-50):

:ultness::ultbowser::ultike::ultryu:50
:ulticeclimbers:49
:ultsonic:48
:ultsnake:47
:ultmegaman::ultcloud:46
:ultinkling:45
:ultbayonetta:44
:ultsheik::ultcorrin:42
:ultridley:41
:ultmewtwo:39

(C)A LITTLE LIGHT SHOWN HERE AND THERE (24-16):

:ultwario::ultkingdedede:24
:ultyoshi::ultluigi:20
:ultfalcon:19
:ultyounglink:18
:ultpeach::ultbowserjr:17

(D)LEFT IN THE DARK (15-6):

:ultpichu::ultdiddy::ultwolf::ultshulk:15
:ultjigglypuff::ultfalco::ultolimar::ulttoonlink::ultduckhunt:14
:ultdarkpit::ultlucario::ultpalutena:13
:ultlucina::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer:12
:ultgnw::ultzss::ultlucas:9
:ultrobin8
:ultdaisy::ultmetaknight::ultrosalina:7
:ultroy::ultgreninja:6

(F)BARELY EVEN EXISTED (5-):

:ultmiifighters:5
:ultdoc:3

Yep, Dr. Mario got less exposure than the ****ing Mii Fighters!!! Also something to note is that my bois Yoshi and Luigi were the characters who weren't in the build who appeared the most in other character trailers and the direct. If Wario and King Dedede didn't have their Final Smashes showcased, they'd be below the green duo.
/SPOILER]

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Initially I was fine with unlocks so long as the difficulty scaled and it wasn't just an easy, unrewarding time-sink to fill out the roster, but then I remembered on top of there being probably like 60 of those ******* to unlock, Smash's idea of "hard" character unlocks are actually just time-consuming... so...

Shroob

Sup?
Initially I was fine with unlocks so long as the difficulty scaled and it wasn't just an easy, unrewarding time-sink to fill out the roster, but then I remembered on top of there being probably like 60 of those ******* to unlock, Smash's idea of "hard" character unlocks are actually just time-consuming... so...

That themesong is ingrained into my skull.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I love unlocking characters, and I love the challenger approaching screen but the CPUs are too easy and earning the character doesnt feel as rewarding. Also, since my friends and I are grouping up the night of release, we'll probably have most chatacters by morning.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961

All these people talking about how much they love that loud-ass siren noise gonna be singing a different story 30-40 characters in.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
All these people talking about how much they love that loud-*** siren noise gonna be singing a different story 30-40 characters in.
Right?

Especially when everyone is gonna be all ''BUT I WANNA PLAY RIDLEY/INKLINGS/DAISY/GENO/CLOUD/BAYONETTA/ELMA/IMPA/INSERT FAV NEWCOMER/VETERAN HERE"

About 30 characters in and they're still missing.

It's not gonna be fun guys. It's gonna be annoying as piss.

Staarih

Smash Master
Kind of a weird move not to have Inkling in the starting roster imo, I feel it alone is a seller for a lot of Japanese (and other) Switch owners.

But oh well, like you others, I hope unlocking won't be too much of a hassle.

D

Deleted member

So who are you going to play the most from the original 12 at the start of Smash Ultimate?

As for me: :ultsamus:, :ultmario: and :ultfalcon:.
:ultness::ultdk::ultkirby:
Ness is my current main in Sm4sh, DK's been growing on me and I'm trying to make Kirby a secondary right now.
Though I'll definitely end up playing as everyone eventually.

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 149382

No sign of ashley in this new japanese magazine spread about the upcoming wario game... though maybe shes just a later character and they dont want to reveal her stuff yet.
Looking at this magazine makes me wonder why they just don’t slap a biker hat on Waluigi and easily make him Warios right hand man in these Wario Ware titles. Would help brand him his own name to get in the Smash series so people can stop having a heart attack over his exclusion.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Looking at this magazine makes me wonder why they just don’t slap a biker hat on Waluigi and easily make him Warios right hand man in these Wario Ware titles. Would help brand him his own name to get in the Smash series so people can stop having a heart attack over his exclusion.
Because Nintendo SPD1 (formerly R&D1) are responsible for creating Wario and are still to this day making games for his series. Waluigi was a character made up by Camelot, a completely unrelated developer, for their own games as Wario's partner.

They don't want to use Waluigi, he's not their character. Jimmy T is, effectively, Wario's best friend canonically.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Out if the original twelve?

Gonna have to go with :ultpikachu::ultyoshi::ultsamus::ultlink:

Zeox

Smash Champion
So wait, if they made a "fighter of the day" all Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays...
77-78 characters depends on if December 7 have a fighter of the day or not.
Here is the table I made with all days and the number of fighters:
Days of the month, number of fighters
June
13, 14, 15 = 3
21, 22, 23 = 6
28, 29, 30 = 9
July

5, 6, 7 = 12
12, 13, 14 = 15
19, 20, 21 = 18
26, 27, 28 = 21
August

1, 2, 3 = 24
8, 9, 10 = 27
15, 16, 17 = 30
22, 23, 24 = 33
29, 30, 31 = 36
September

5, 6, 7 = 39
12, 13, 14 = 42
19, 20, 21 = 45
26, 27, 28 = 48
October

3, 4, 5 = 51
10, 11, 12 = 54
17, 18, 19 = 57
24, 25, 26 = 60
30 = 61
November

1, 2 = 63
7, 8, 9 = 66
14, 15, 16 = 69
21, 22, 23 = 72
28, 29, 30 = 75
December

5, 6, 7 = 78

Last edited:

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Likewise, I'm the exact opposite.

I hated how Smash 4 gave you basically all of the roster right at the start. I long for the days of playing Melee and that siren blaring at max volume with "WARNING! CHALLENGER APPROACHING!"
Hell Yeah!!! I am the same as you! There were a few times I actually lost the match haha

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I'm still waiting as to how characters are going to be unlock, if they can be got in a simple, yet fun way, I won't have any problem with unlocking so many fighters.

If it's not fun and just time wasting tho, then I prefer to have Smash 4 starting roster size.

Shroob

Sup?
So wait, if they made a "fighter of the day" all Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays...
77-78 characters depends on if December 7 have a fighter of the day or not.
Here is the table I made with all days and the number of fighters:
Days number of fighters
June
13, 14, 15 3
21, 22, 23 6
28, 29, 30 9
July

5, 6, 7 12
12, 13, 14 15
19, 20, 21 18
26, 27, 28 21
August

1, 2, 3 24
8, 9, 10 27
15, 16, 17 30
22, 23, 24 33
29, 30, 31 36
September

5, 6, 7 39
12, 13, 14 42
19, 20, 21 45
26, 27, 28 48
October

3, 4, 5 51
10, 11, 12 54
17, 18, 19 57
24, 25, 26 60
30 61
November

1, 2 63
7, 8, 9 66
14, 15, 16 69
21, 22, 23 72
28, 29, 30 75
December

5, 6, 7 78
Depends on if they keep the pattern up tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom