• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Unpopular Speculation: non-relevant characters like K. Rool getting in doesn't mean much for F-Zero or Earthbound reps.

From a Sakurai Famistu Column: "Characters from a series that has no future are rarely chosen."

DK has been getting back up on its feet with DKCR and DKCTF, so while K. Rool himself isn't all that relevant his franchise is still quite successful. Mother is a "completed" franchise and F-Zero has been MIA for over a decade now. Not saying they're impossible, but I wouldn't rate a character from those franchises as more likely because we've seen a few old-school picks.
okay but explain simon and richter

D

Deleted member

to me it looked like there could be space for 2 more stages on the website. Considering I don't think we will see much more stages but a small amount, I think they will be reserved for characters who need a home stage to be on, one of them may be the ROB stage but they might just leave him without a home and have 2 more new character stages. My guess? Air Rally and Monstro Town. Sometimes you gotta make bold guesses.

Also Yeah Bayonetta is just inherently strong and anti fun. I think she will be nerfed into not seeing bayo mirrors every 5 seconds, but she sure as hell won't drop her title of most hated character to play against.
There's room for 6 more stages on the select screen, and these are the only remaining stages from the franchise not in the game:

Stages.JPG

There are some you can omit by sheer logic, either being redundant, or just not feasible for some reason:
-Zebes and Sector Z don't have a reason to be in with Brinstar and Corneria.
-Mushroom Kingdom (Melee) has no point with MK 64.
-Flat Zone 1&2 have no reason with Flat Zone X
-Vertical Scrolling stages like Icicle Mountain and Rumble Falls are massively unpopular
-Pictochat 1 has no point in being in with Pictochat 2
-Pac-Maze can't work on console
-Jungle Hijinx can't work with Stage Morph
-Pyrosphere can't work cause Ridley is now playable
-Orbital Gate likely had problems getting ported over due to how massive it is
-MiiVerse can't work without Miiverse.

Leaving you with:
Wooly World
Rainbow Road
Poke Floats
Mute City
and Metal Cavern

as the only viable missing stages from the game.

Metal Cavern/Meta Crystal particularly sticks out to me, as it would be VERY easy to implement into the game, as the 64 stages retain the retro look. Yet it's still not there. Which leads me to believe that Sakurai is still hiding some surprises yet, and Metal Mario might show up as a Boss/Playable Character yet again as a callback to Smash 64. He'd be easy to turn into an Echo as well, and with Bosses being a thing, it kinda makes sense. Guess we'll see though.

Shroob

Sup?
I actually wonder if Sakurai is hiding characters in plain sight this time.

He's already said that we'll know the entire roster before launch, so he really seems a lot more 'open' at hinting stuff this time:

E3 Build: Both Ike's Chrom palette and Samus' Dark Samus palette were missing, along with a slew of missing Assist Trophies, many of which are still unaccounted for.

This Direct: Dark Samus and Chrom Echo Fighters, with Sakurai saying that we may have saw this coming.

Sakurai before the Direct: "My eyes may be a little red"

This Direct: Simon Belmont(Bloody Tears by proxy) AND King K.Rool.

Now we have Loz saying "Skull Kid is in" and Sakurai is sitting in front of yellow and purple chairs, the same colors of Tatl and Tael.

Why THOSE colors? Why are those chairs even there? They're the only things in the entire room that stand out.

Those chairs were put there intentionally, no doubt.

Last edited:

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
Click on the icon with a Sun and a couple of hills.

You can either past a link to have the pick pop up or upload a file from your photo library.
—————————————————————
Onto speculation, My predictions are still the same and so far I have gotten two right. (Simon and King K. Rool ended up becoming obvious.

So here’s who I’m predicting (not including echoes):
64 - Inkling
65 - Ridley
66 - Simon Belmont
67 - King K. Rool
?? - Elma
?? - Lycanroc
?? - Isaac
?? - Geno
?? - Rhythm Heaven Rep
?? - Another Third Party (Lloyd?)
?? - Another Retro Character (Ayumi?)
?? - Another Unrepresented 1st Party Series (Isa?)

I’m more so confident with the first 4. The 5th one I’m so-so one but I think an overall character that represents the Rhythm Heaven series is possible. I’m a little unsure about the last three. A third party will likely be based on the ballot but I’m unsure who it might be, so I’m leaning more towards Lloyd. A retro rep is possible but a lot less likely, but I’m going towards Ayumi, and the last one I’m the least sure about. It’s possible we may get another unrepresented 1st Party to join as well, and I’m leaning towards it being someone from the Sin and Punishment series, but it’s mostly up to speculation.

I gues Lycanroc can be just about any Gen 7 Rep. Leaks recently have started losing their ground a lot lately.

If any sin and punishment character got in I think itd be much more likely to be Saki but that's genuine bias on my part. Saki is the only thing from sin and punishment that ever gets referenced in smash as isa wasnt even a trophy in smash though so that's why I'd lean more towards him

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
-Pac-Maze can't work on console
I never heard of this, where is this from?

Sector Z and Brinstar aren't necessary, but they could act as 8-Player variants of preexisting stages ala Battlefield. All of the 64 stages in Wii U can hold 8 players, it's a solid theory.

Poke Floats may have complications with the Stage Morph mechanic.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So Loz said Skull Kid is in huh?

I completely saw this coming and to be honest I’m completely fine with Skull Kid cause this is now or never for him.

Roberk

Smash Champion
okay but explain simon and richter
Third parties are a bit different I guess, and Castlevania isn't totally dead. The Netflix show is going onto its 2nd season this fall and there have been some leaks/rumors of a Castlevania game collection.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

Sector Z and Brinstar aren't necessary, but they could act as 8-Player variants of preexisting stages ala Battlefield. All of the 64 stages in Wii U can hold 8 players, it's a solid theory.

Actually about PAC-Maze he’s correct, because the whole gimmick of the stage was that one person on one 3DS would grab the power pellet effecting the ghosts on their screen only, this whole gimmick would have to be completely reworked to accommodate only being played on one screen.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Slow down there, buckaroo. It's a possessed child, which is almost as bad to have a tent for as the animatronics from FNaF.

D

Deleted member

Every stage now supports 8 Player Smash, so that idea is out the window pretty much.

As for Pac-Maze, it's from 3DS, and it had a mechanic where if you picked up a pellet, the other players would show up as Ghosts or something. I never played Smash 3DS, so I'm not sure.

PokeFloats might have that problem, maybe, yeah. I hope that's not the case and that it shows up, as it's one of my favorites. But it is odd that it's not in, as it's a super easy stage to make too. It's just Upscaled Pokemon models floating in a specific pattern as the camera scrolls. And Smash gets its Pokemon models straight from the Pokemon Company. So it could probably get made in a day or so. It's weird though, as Rainbow Cruise is in the game just fine... so idk. Maybe it's gone cause we're getting a Pokefloats 2 with newer Pokemon? Iirc, the last PokeFloats only had Mons that were in Melee as Pokeballs, so maybe that's why, and they wanna make a Pokefloats with our current lineup of mons?

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I actually wonder if Sakurai is hiding characters in plain sight this time.

He's already said that we'll know the entire roster before launch, so he really seems a lot more 'open' at hinting stuff this time:

E3 Build: Both Ike's Chrom palette and Samus' Dark Samus palette were missing, along with a slew of missing Assist Trophies, many of which are still unaccounted for.

This Direct: Dark Samus and Chrom Echo Fighters, with Sakurai saying that we may have saw this coming.

Sakurai before the Direct: "My eyes may be a little red"

This Direct: Simon Belmont(Bloody Tears by proxy) AND King K.Rool.

Now we have Loz saying "Skull Kid is in" and Sakurai is sitting in front of yellow and purple chairs, the same colors of Tatl and Tael.

Why THOSE colors? Why are those chairs even there? They're the only things in the entire room that stand out.

Those chairs were put there intentionally, no doubt.
Purple and Yellow is a pretty basic color combination that could be a million different things, even more when you consider that shade of yellow is almost green. It's like the "red eyes" thing when the most speculated characters at the time were/are K.Rool, Ashley, Shadow, Geno, Pyra, etc. Even if it IS a hint, it's so intentionally vague as to be worthless.

Roberk

Smash Champion
It's probably been said before but this game can release right now and easily be the best Smash and one of the best Switch games. 8 Newcomers (counting Echoes) fits with Sakurai's statement of "Don't expect too many newcomers" compared to previous Smashes and the last Direct showed us many things that we've been asking for on top of stuff we didn't even know we wanted (Stage Morph, etc.). All of the current stages, music pieces, characters, and mechanics already shown make for an amazing game. It's mind-blowing that we are still 4 months away and they've already shown off this much stuff with more to come.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Inb4 Sakurai's next tweet or saying in a Direct is: "Young Link seems to have met an untimely demise, hasn't he?' with a pic or clip of the Moon decimating the stage.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
So, what's the consensus on the Monster Hunter stage? Do you guys think it's an actual stage or is it for the new Spirits mode?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If Skull Kid is indeed the next reveal, then I'd imagine Wario tries to steal Majora's Mask before he ****ing dies.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
It makes sense that she doesn't have one but it also doesn't make sense that she doesn't have one.
On one end, it's Dark Samus, she ain't a morph ball master... but she has a morph ball attack because she was cloned.
But dark samus has a canon morph ball form anyway, it's a weird change but I'm not complaining, samus' roll is terrible

Shroob

Sup?
If we do get Skull Kid, not having this show up somewhere in the trailer will be a crime:

terriblefate.jpg

It's probably the most iconic line of dialogue from Majora's Mask, outside of the ending cutscene.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Are people seriously debating that the chairs in the background mean something?

The whole “Sakurai is Le EPIC TROLL XDDD” thing has been taken way too far. Sakurai isn’t some hyperdimensional being that calculates and plans out every action of every person within fifteen yards of him. The chairs they had laying around happened to be bright colors. Some poor japanese intern is probably getting berated for putting them there since they’re so attention-grabbing.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Don't worry guys, I just got done talking to Sakurai and he told me exactly what the chairs mean! Are you ready to have your minds blown?
IT MEANS!!!1!
nothing.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Being heavily requested for 11 years is not "what fans want at the moment"
It is, because you never know if there's a character that you'd end up liking far more than Geno, Ridley or K.rool in the long run.
It's far, far better if we get a healthy mix of both popular and unexpected. I'm not saying unexpected characters are better than popular picks, I'm saying that there needs to be both. Focusing exclusively on requests is what would make a stale roster. If we hadn't gotten Greninja and Zoroak made it in instead, the roster would've been outdated on arrival.

Also a question for Geno supporters, just curious. If Smash didn't exist, would you still care about him?

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
If Skull Kid is indeed the next reveal, then I'd imagine Wario tries to steal Majora's Mask before he ****ing dies.
Honestly? I could see King Dedede being interested in it too if he weren't already unconscious/dead by K. Rool's hand. The mercenaries or bounty hunters as well, which may lead to certain people's wet dreams of seeing the anthro spacies die.

But you can't have these trailers without their respective rivals, so Link in sone form would have to appear and fight Skull Kid in the end.

D

Deleted member

What would be Skull Kid’s moveset though?
A boss character that transforms into Majora halfway through the fight, making the fight a lot more difficult.

Just cause SK is getting in, doesn't mean he's gonna be playable. He could be used to showcase the new teased boss battle mode.

EDIT: I'm also not saying the chairs confirm anything. The Colors also line up well with Rayman for that sake. It's the same thing as "red eye" is it K. Rool? Bloody Tears? Your guess is as good as anyone elses. But just like with any cryptic clue, there might not be a clue at all, and it could just be a red herring you're reading too much into.

Last edited by a moderator:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
It is, because you never know if there's a character that you'd end up liking far more than Geno, Ridley or K.rool in the long run.
It's far, far better if we get a healthy mix of both popular and unexpected. I'm not saying unexpected characters are better than popular picks, I'm saying that there needs to be both. Focusing exclusively on requests is what would make a stale roster. If we hadn't gotten Greninja and Zoroak made it in instead, the roster would've been outdated on arrival.

Also a question for Geno supporters, just curious. If Smash didn't exist, would you still care about him?
Cannot speak for Geno, but Breath of Fire 3 Ryu is one of my favorite characters and I love seeing him in new media. He showed up in that Archie comic and I lost my mind. So, if he had chance in smash, I would want him. That RPG defined part of my childhood (that and final fantasy tactics)

so, I assume the same for Geno fans.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
What would be Skull Kid’s moveset though?
I imagine it'd be focused around trickery and dark magic, if people are craving more unorthodox newcomers they'd almost certainly get it with him. Of course those two things could result in a million different playstyles, but unlike someone like K. Rool and Simon it's pretty difficult to say exactly what Skull Kid's moveset would be as we don't actually see him do a ton of stuff in Majora's Mask, and his powers seem to have all sorts of varying effects in general.

One thing I'd like to see is Tatl and Tael being used in his normal attacks, like in Hyrule Warriors, that would at least be a great start to a very unique moveset.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Are people seriously debating that the chairs in the background mean something?

The whole “Sakurai is Le EPIC TROLL XDDD” thing has been taken way too far. Sakurai isn’t some hyperdimensional being that calculates and plans out every action of every person within fifteen yards of him. The chairs they had laying around happened to be bright colors. Some poor japanese intern is probably getting berated for putting them there since they’re so attention-grabbing.
The biggest issue here being that we have a supposedly legitimate leaker saying that Skull Kid's in.

And yes, Sakurai is *ahem* 'le epic troll' as you put it. The tweet from the day prior about 'red eyes' was completely intentional since we got not 1, but 2 characters that fit that bill in the same direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom