• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It’s kinda sad actually.

All the Ashley fans were joking around how she would be inevitable for the August direct only to have her disconfirmed in that direct without given a proper label like everyone else.

I just hope this doesn’t happen to any of my wants (Isaac, Lycanroc, I was scared that they were going to show them off as Assists and Pokeballs). Or any for that matter.

Though I guess this is speculators. Not everything is what they seem.
The segment was new assist trophies so she wouldn't have been labeled.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
It’s kinda sad actually.

All the Ashley fans were joking around how she would be inevitable for the August direct only to have her disconfirmed in that direct without given a proper label like everyone else.
It was truly the ultimate tease. The Assist Trophy section ends (or so we thought) with a fade to black... And then it comes back in with Ashley standing there, waving her wand and MOCKING US

MOCKING US ALL

Michaelrexx

Smash Cadet
Why do we pretend Falcondorf is no longer a thing? He still has Falcon Punch, Falcon Kick, Falcon Dive, Up Tilt animation, Dash Attack, and all the aerials. Just because his smashes are sword attacks (recycled from other characters at that) and his other normals are different doesn't make him any less Falcondorf. If he were to have his 3 specials changed then I would agree but that is not the case.
For real. And I honestly hate that he uses a sword on his up and down smashes. He should've kept the up smash from smash 4 atleast

Shroob

Sup?
I'm actually surprised how many people DON'T know who Richter is.

He spawned one of the original gaming 'memes', alongside **** like "All your base are belong to us" and ****.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

He spawned one of the original gaming 'memes', alongside **** like "All your base are belong to us" and ****.

I remember I memorized the entire thing back in the day and used to joke about it.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Because it showcased new trohpies.

And Bomberman wasn't labeled as well during that same segment
Oh, I see.

It was truly the ultimate tease. The Assist Trophy section ends (or so we thought) with a fade to black... And then it comes back in with Ashley standing there, waving her wand and MOCKING US

MOCKING US ALL
I remember that part. I thought it was over and Ashley was still in the clear, until Sakurai pulled that exposition section and there she was.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Because it showcased new trohpies.

And Bomberman wasn't labeled as well during that same segment
Right. She was the only returning AT shown in the direct (aside from Grey Fox, but he gets a callout because he missed a game), and it was inserted after the trophy montage and before the next section. Just seems suspicious is all. They could have at least put her up on the website afterward, along with the other confirmed returning ATs.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

I quoted that meme when Dracula first showed up in the Direct, and I still didn't recognize Richter until his name popped up.

I'm a fake fan.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Whenever I land the finishing blow on bosses in games, I always say "Die monster, you don't belong in this world."

Of course the trailer kinda flubbed it with "begone, you don't belong in this world, monster."

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Whenever I land the finishing blow on bosses in games, I always say "Die monster, you don't belong in this world."

Of course the trailer kinda flubbed it with "begone, you don't belong in this world, monster."
The new line is closer to the accurate translations
or something i dont know

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Btw My brazilian friend told me that Richter was more recognizable in Spanish countries than Simon.

a Brazilian site actualy wrote an article explaining who simon was because most BRs that played castlevania played the PSX one and NES games were not big there. They refered to him as "that Conan the barbarian-ish fellow"

Richter was honestly a good call
Hmm that is true, most people from here know Castlevania from Symphony of The Night, even though the Smash Richter is Rondo of Blood design Richter, which almost nobody played anywhere that wasn't Japan. In any case, Richter was indeed a very good choice. (I'm also curious what site actually wrote that, lol)

also I dunno if that's what you meant but Brazil isn't a Spanish country... Latin America countries would have been more correct

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Right. She was the only returning AT shown in the direct (aside from Grey Fox, but he gets a callout because he missed a game), and it was inserted after the trophy montage and before the next section. Just seems suspicious is all. They could have at least put her up on the website afterward, along with the other confirmed returning ATs.
I’m going to be honest. But after showing her assist trophy, I doubt she is actually secretly a playable character. It’s like that whole Waluigi thing all over again.

Shroob

Sup?

They didn't probably want to say "die"......even though Luigi's ****ing dead.

Ironic.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
On second thought? There might be something to the fact K. Rool's trailer ends with Donkey and Diddy caught by K. Rool in the ground.

Was it really important to show us that he can capture people in the ground? Not really.

But considering that Dixie DOES save Donkey and Diddy from K Rool in DKC3?

Maybe she is coming still after all.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Hmm that is true, most people from here know Castlevania from Symphony of The Night, even though the Smash Richter is Rondo of Blood design Richter, which almost nobody played anywhere that wasn't Japan. In any case, Richter was indeed a very good choice. (I'm also curious what site actually wrote that, lol)

also I dunno if that's what you meant but Brazil isn't a Spanish country... Latin America countries would have been more correct
Technically Rondo of Blood DID come over to the west at the time, but it was the butchered SNES port, Dracula X

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh man, I was listening to Gamexplain's video on the Castlevania music and "Lost Painting" gave me a serious nostalgia rush

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I’m going to be honest. But after showing her assist trophy, I doubt she is actually secretly a playable character. It’s like that whole Waluigi thing all over again.
Why do people keep thinking that's what I'm trying to say, lol. No, she's absolutely 100% an AT.

I'm saying the conditions of her announcement are suspicious in regards to the other missing-but-speculated-to-be-upgraded ATs.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
On second thought? There might be something to the fact K. Rool's trailer ends with Donkey and Diddy caught by K. Rool in the ground.

Was it really important to show us that he can capture people in the ground? Not really.

I mean, there's that.

It could also be a reference to how the DK games 'fake out' the player... but yeah, DK and Diddy were in some deep **** there at the end.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think Lost Painting is a song I've been humming for years and didn't remember it's origin

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I honestly had never heard of Richter before the trailer. Only addition from that direct that was a slight disappointment, but he’s growing on me a little.

Troykv

Smash Master
Someone know where this picture comes from? (I found it in Reddit; but it was made for an outsider)

I'm sure is based in the Source Gaming Top 19 Japan Characters from 2015 but with the already confirmed (or deconfirmed) characters already removed.

Most Wanted 2015 without confirmed characters pre-September..png

https://sourcegaming.info/2015/09/13/japantopdlcpt2/

I think is a bit obvious I'm asking this because someone published a Smash Picture with Micaiah on it.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I knew who Richter was, I just forget what he looked like.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Ok here is a question for you guys (I don't know if it's been asked before)… You know that at the start of the King K Rool trailer we got those great artworks of heroes vs villains (or rivals, whatever) and then it turns off like a TV screen, then we get DK who was watching a TV… was that just a segway, or is the TV a hint that maybe those artworks had something to do with a story mode? I mean… you watch on TV : series, movies, etc… could it be a hint of something? or was it just a segway of the heroes vs villains theme into the King K reveal? I really want to know what you think about this. Or am I thinking too hard about it? lol

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
So what's the general consensus on Bandanna Waddle Dee? From what I've been hearing from various communities the main thing going against him is that he's not exactly unique and is simply "a Goomba in headwear" as one called him. Does he still have a chance? Could Sakurai overlook this and add him anyway to appeal to his massive following?

epicgordan

Smash Ace
At best, I'd say there are about 8 new fighters left--four echoes and four uniques. Based off the ballot results, and whatever hints I could gleam from the Nintendo Direct, those likely candidates appear to be Impa, Dixie Kong, Shadow, Isabelle, Skull Kid, Geno, Bandana Dee, and a Gen 7 Pokémon (either Incineroar or Necrozma).

But now I'm having a sinking feeling that we will only have two unique fighters and two echoes. Those being Skull Kid and Geno, and Shadow and Isabelle respectively.

Why? What about Dixie Kong?

Well, have we even seen Diddy's Final Smash? I think Dixie is going to be a part of it. I'd like to be wrong.

But realistically, I'd say we'd either expect four or eight more fighters. We'd either get my pessimistic view on 2 uniques and 2 echoes; or we get my best-case scenario of 4 uniques and 4 echoes.

Or Sakurai goes way overboard with 6 Echoes and still leaves us with 2 unique newcomers.

Either way, I think Skull Kid and Geno are a given in the unique front, while Shadow and Isabelle are a given in the echo fighter department.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Someone know where this picture comes from? (I found it in Reddit; but it was made for an outsider)

I'm sure is based in the Source Gaming Top 19 Japan Characters from 2015 but with the already confirmed (or deconfirmed) characters already removed.

View attachment 157009

https://sourcegaming.info/2015/09/13/japantopdlcpt2/

I think is a bit obvious I'm asking this because someone published a Smash Picture with Micaiah on it.
Toon Ganondorf is a popular request? Didn't really see that coming.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I think the idea of Eggman as an echo for Bowser Jr. is ridiculous. There’s no rule against cross-series echoes, but we haven’t seen any yet out of the six we have, and I don’t think that will change. That’s not the main problem though...

The main problem is proportions. Bowser Jr’s model, without the clown car, is smaller than Sonics. An Eggman that’s SMALLER than Sonic? There’s too many changes that would need to made to make this happen, and it would lead to Eggman being his own unique character, which I don’t think he’s in a position to have.

Not only that, but Shadow is the obvious choice for a Sonic character, and I doubt we’d be getting more than one. In fact, I’m pretty confident Shadow will be revealed as a Sonic echo (feels weird saying that... before Ultimate, I would have never given Shadow a chance. Now he’s one of the few I truly expect with confidence).

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Honestly, starting to feel that way myself if this is the case.

But something just doesn't sit right either.

Dark Samus gets a short end of the stick, but Isabelle gets an entirely new moveset?
There's a difference in Dark Samus and Isabelle.

One is a secondary (but main in her own series) villain of the Metroid series.

Isabelle is the FACE of Animal Crossing and one of the most popular new Nintendo characters that's not a squid kid.

There's also the fact of Isabelle has totally different sizing than Smash Villager, and the fact she would NOT look right wielding an ax, or using a boxing glove, etc.

But Dark Samus looks fine using Samus's attacks because of the nature of what she is.
It is not only what Fisher said about Isabelle, but most importantly, Sakurai views non-combatants differently. I bring this interview up time and time again:

https://kotaku.com/an-in-depth-chat-with-the-genius-behind-super-smash-bro-530744390

An important thing is that the characters stand out from one another—for instance, we might wanna be able to take characters that aren't typically combat-based characters. So you might have a sword-based character, but other characters are not necessarily going to [have swords]. You're not gonna wanna focus on that sort of element, just so there's a distinction between all of the other combat-based characters.

They have to have something really unique that makes them stand apart from other characters in the game, and not limit yourself to characters that are just combat-based.
This interview is why I personally believe Sakurai will find Isabelle to be an immediately attracting fighter to implement as a unique fighter due to Isabelle's non-combatant nature and what she can provide as a fighter when basing her move-set on the main gameplay elements of Animal Crossing New Leaf, an aspect of AC that has not been explored in Villager's moveset yet that provides a ton of playful potential. This is why I personally question those that easily see an Isabelle echo a likely possibility, it just does not line-up and it does not feel like a decision Sakurai would do given what he has said and emphasized about having non-combatants in the roster.

Noipoi

Howdy!
So what's the general consensus on Bandanna Waddle Dee? From what I've been hearing from various communities the main thing going against him is that he's not exactly unique and is simply "a Goomba in headwear" as one called him. Does he still have a chance? Could Sakurai overlook this and add him anyway to appeal to his massive following?
I think he's cool, if he got in i'd be happy. I'm actually predicting his inclusion, but I don't think he's as likely as my other predictions.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace

That's quite a deep read into what is just a end of trailer joke...

(Rondo of Blood sucked)
Ok...? I mean, it definitely didn't at all as it's probably my favorite classic Castlevania lol

P.Kat

Smash Champion
That's pretty much exactly how I think about it.

Well, besides the fact that I kinda am invested in how much I want Geno.

But other than that, yeah, that's pretty much spot on to me.
*tumbleweed rolls by on a long road* Me, I'm still a nomad, most people have gotten their long awaited characters that they've waited for just about a decade+, and are chilling in Final Destination, I'm still roaming the land, waiting for at least one of my picks to make it in, but whether they do or they don't that won't keep me from getting this game registering y'all as a friend and fighting against y'all:)
But seriously Sakurai, my feet hurt from all this traveling, mind giving me some of my favorite newcomers?
Personally, Quote is the indie rep I would love to see the most, since Cave Story is the game that kind of ushered in the golden age of indie games, his games have been consistently released on Nintendo consoles, and he's got tons of moveset potential.
He would be cool, I'm personally rooting more for Shantae though.
Wait Sakurai visited Yacht Club and WayForward?

Aw ****, Shantae’s in, isn’t she...
It's looking pretty possible. There was this one thing in her game, a hint that set off some alarms to me. Mind you it's speculation at best, no matter how big the temptation to delude myself it's not.

So basically WayForward, developed a new game mode in Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero for free called Jammies mode, where you play as Shantae in her... well Jammies. The description of her new mode said "Prepare for the ULTIMATE Pillow Fight." I thought 'hmm strange but it's probably a coincidence.'

But then in the game, plot is Shantae putting together in her words the "ULTIMATE SLEEPOVER PARTY" and that "EVERYONE IS INVITED" friend and foe. Hmm let's see...

Ultimate Pillow Smash Fight, Ultimate Sleepover Crossover Party (game), Everyone is Invited Here. Sounds vaguely familar, and Shantae getting a free mode like this sounds like a celebration of recently good news, while secretly wrapped up as a thank you for the fans

Also, at the end of the story.
Her Uncle tells her that she should go to sleep, so she'll be ready for tomorrow. When she ask "what's happening tomorrow? All he says is "Who knows? Every day is a new adventure"

It could be a coincidence but, WayForward are pretty clever at getting stuff past radar, and those are a lot of coincidences, they could know something we don't. It could be nothing, but for now it's something worth keeping all our eyes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom