• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Dixie is one of the few I'm holding out for, at this point.

Someone like Catria or any Pegasus Knight or Wyvern Rider would be cool but that's probably too far out there. Maybe as an Assist Trophy.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Can we please have people stop calling rumors "leaks?" It's a misleading distinction that really needs to be established imo
Right?!

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
It can't be just me that noticed Peach looks really bad face wise in comparison to many of the other fighters.
Honestly, a lot of the Mario characters in Smash Bros have always looked and behaved very differently than their main series counterparts. Sorta makes them feel like different characters.

Peach looks especially jarring standing next to Rosalina and Daisy considering they both look pretty identical to their main series selves.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Honestly, a lot of the Mario characters in Smash Bros have always looked and behaved very differently than their main series counterparts. Sorta makes them feel like different characters.

Peach looks especially jarring standing next to Rosalina and Daisy considering they both look pretty identical to their main series selves.
At least it isn’t Sm4sh Link face. That thing still gives me nightmares.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I never really noticed before, but I guess several characters don't look great close up. Well, at least we can't really tell in gameplay since the camera is far out lol.

Last edited:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
At least it isn’t Sm4sh Link face. That thing still gives me nightmares.
Smash really has never been very good with human faces. The more stylized characters are fine, but the realistically proportioned human characters never look quite right. They look a little better in Ultimate, but I'd say they still don't look all that good.
At least they fixed Link though, yeah.

Something does look off about some characters eyes though. Like here.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
I don't have a problem with Peach, maybe I just like the design since she looks better than she usually does

I guess I should wait until I see it in game myself, though.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I just thought of something... Spear Pillar is back, and the picture on the site features Palkia.

But at the same time, it returns as a Poke Ball assist. Doesn't this mean that on this stage, a larger Palkia that tilts the field can stand behind a smaller Palkia that turns it upside down? Blegh, I'm already getting vertigo from thinking about it...

ned_ballad

Smash Apprentice
I like how Ken is slowly creeping into every fake leak since Richter was announced, even though he should have been in most fakes well before that because he's the original echo fighter.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I just thought of something... Spear Pillar is back, and the picture on the site features Palkia.

But at the same time, it returns as a Poke Ball assist. Doesn't this mean that on this stage, a larger Palkia that tilts the field can stand behind a smaller Palkia that turns it upside down? Blegh, I'm already getting vertigo from thinking about it...
"When Palkia gets released from a Pokeball, Alfonzo appears to screw with reality on Spear Pillar. Alfonzo: "Leave it to me!""

Last edited:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace

Same thing with the Moon being a background element on Great Bay and now also being an assist trophy.
Part of me wonders if certain Pokemon/ATs will be disabled on certain stages.

D

Deleted member

"Panic", not "Literature Club".
It's a common title thing in Japan meaning "heart-racing".
Kinda like "Ultimate" or "Revenge"

Though Monika invading Smash Bros and forcibly trying to get to the top of the tier list sounds like a good idea for a fan-fic.
More to the point, why would anyone from DDLC even be viable when it hasn't even been anywhere outside of computers?

No, former Project M staff having made the game doesn't count as a reason.
Dude. It was a joke.

All that aside, having Imajin in would make sense. Although it'd be yet another blow dealt to the Captain Toad fanbase, if the guy who inspired the original Toad design got in first.
a. Imajin is like Goku, only far worse off.

b. Imajin was the Mario equivalent, not Toad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
My crack theory of the day is that Protoman and Bass are in as echo's for Megaman but will use his various custom moves, since I feel like customs are going away after seeing how Palutena's moveset got swapped around.and it'd be a shame if those moves just went away, also since they show up in Megaman's final smash, they already have models in game.

Honestly I'm just hoping for more 3rd party echoes and the idea popped into my head when i was at work today.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I do agree with you about the whole Lucina/Chrom thing. Sakurai chose Robin over Chrom due to him being more unique and Chrom being too similar to Ike or being too bland, which is fine, but then Lucina gets in for the same reasons Chrom didn't which baffles me.

I mean, Chrom is now in the game, but the whole decision was very confusing for me.
I think it's because Lucina went by the name Marth, Sakurai figured making her an echo of him would make sense for thematic reasons while Chrom himself didn't have any such justification. But because of fan demand, he decided to stretch the limits of what he's willing to do with these simple clones just so Chrom supporters could finally get their chance.

Well, at least that's how I interpret it. I'm not the madman himself, so I can only guess.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Got an interesting question for you all; starting off, is your most wanted newcomer still not revealed or already known to not be playable in Smash Ultimate? If so, and, this bring us to my main question, how do you think you'll feel about that newcomer's chances for a future Smash title?

Do you think this is their best shot? Do you think they'll be better off next time? Or do you think it's a now or never scenario? Would you prefer they get in Ultimate instead of a later game because this most likely the only time every single past veteran will be able to fight alongside them?
I feel that this is Shantae's best chance. Had good levels of support during the ballot, is still fresh in people's minds, has history with Nintendo and is fairly easy to adapt in terms of character design.

b. Imajin was the Mario equivalent, not Toad.
I was talking about the design itself. I know that his papa is the Toad equivalent (as absurd as that sounds).

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
My crack theory of the day is that Protoman and Bass are in as echo's for Megaman but will use his various custom moves, since I feel like customs are going away after seeing how Palutena's moveset got swapped around.and it'd be a shame if those moves just went away, also since they show up in Megaman's final smash, they already have models in game.

Honestly I'm just hoping for more 3rd party echoes and the idea popped into my head when i was at work today.
Glad to see I’m not the only one with a similar theory, but in my case I replace Bass and Proto Man with Kumatora (Lucas echo with some Ness properties) and Fiora (hypothetical Elma echo)

Their models are detailed enough to be recycled as echoes. It would be problematic if they were uniques, but should be no biggie (or not much of one) if echo.

Another one. It seems like my boi's hand are kinda off in this image. And his spines are clipping into his saddle...

What is up with Kirby’s mouth?!

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I didn't expect her to look worse than Daisy.

And Sonic looks horrible. For some reason, they still can't fix his broken thumb either.

Actually, now that we're taking a closer look at character models...

Look at my boi's leg. Bad lighting probably

Smash really has never been very good with human faces. The more stylized characters are fine, but the realistically proportioned human characters never look quite right. They look a little better in Ultimate, but I'd say they still don't look all that good.
At least they fixed Link though, yeah.

Something does look off about some characters eyes though. Like here.

View attachment 158061
We talking messy pre-release models? Welcome to the club.

Fortunately, there's still plenty of time for the models to be polished before release. Though I'm not expecting too much.

D

Deleted member

I guarantee you customs are coming back.
Palutena probably has different customs.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
Glad to see I’m not the only one with a similar theory, but in my case I replace Bass and Proto Man with Kumatora (Lucas echo with some Ness properties) and Fiora (hypothetical Elma echo)

Their models are detailed enough to be recycled as echoes. It would be problematic if they were uniques, but should be no biggie (or not much of one) if echo.

What is up with Kirby’s mouth?!

I would love Fiora to be playable in some way, was hoping for her to get in along with Shulk in Sm4sh. Honestly though I'll take any new Xenoblade characters but I want Elma the most

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
They probably have like 1-2 months to finish everything they need to right now. The game should be going gold around September-October likely.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
At the end of the most recent franchise, there was a showcase of heroes vs villains (in a lead up to the K. Rool reveal). What major Nintendo franchise was missing? Pokemon.
Now, Pokemon doesn't have a real villain reflected in the current roster. I can think of one character who can fill that role (hint: it's not a Pokemon, per se).
Lusamine, specifically her fusion form. Evil intentions are there, the popularity of the character is there, and it bypasses the typical yawn that typically follows the announcement of another Pokemon rep.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Really? I'm still feeling like Customs are gone for whatever reason. They sorta made it sound like a Mii exclusive thing on the website a while back.
They want to make Smash Bros. Ultimate the greatest Smash Bros. game.
People loved customs so of course we are getting them back.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
At the end of the most recent franchise, there was a showcase of heroes vs villains (in a lead up to the K. Rool reveal). What major Nintendo franchise was missing? Pokemon.
Now, Pokemon doesn't have a real villain reflected in the current roster. I can think of one character who can fill that roll (hint: it's not a Pokemon, per se).
Lusamine
I think she'd work well as a boss, especially in her final form from Sun/Moon.
I've always sorta seen Mewtwo as a villain, though I know that's not necessarily the case. Him fighting alongside Giga Bowser and Ganondorf in Event 51 of melee is probably why I see him that way.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
I currently love the direction of Wolf's model but it is severely lacking polish at the moment. I hope they clean up his textures before launch.

And please fix his jaw.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
They want to make Smash Bros. Ultimate the greatest Smash Bros. game.
People loved customs so of course we are getting them back.
I doubt it.

No one used them, most were either useless compared to the original or downright broken and unlocking them was, imo, the worst thing ever in all of Smash 4, which is saying something because of how bad the online can be.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Now, Pokemon doesn't have a real villain reflected in the current roster. I can think of one character who can fill that roll (hint: it's not a Pokemon, per se).
Lusamine
My boi's franchise was also missing (it's an OG 8 franchise). That's why I'm holding out hope for Kamek or Boshi

D

Deleted member

I doubt it.

No one used them, most were either useless compared to the original or downright broken and unlocking them was, imo, the worst thing ever in all of Smash 4, which is saying something because of how bad the online can be.
Ahem.
Casuals used customs.

I know they are coming back. Sakurai will probably balace.

Customs make Smash diverse.

Plus making them uniqe to the Miis is dumb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom