• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
My old list of "mysteriously absent" characters has now been updated.

-Dark Samus:
a. No Assist seen
b. Samus' palette for Dark Samus is missing

-Shadow:
a. No Assist seen
b. Different Sonic character Assist (Knuckles) seen

-Isabelle:
a. No Assist seen
b. Different Animal Crossing character Assist (Kap'n) seen

-Ashley:
a. No Assist seen

-Chrom:
a. Robin's Final Smash currently unknown
b. Ike's palette for Chrom is missing

-Lip:
a. No Lip's Stick item seen

-Sandbag:
a. Prop seen at E3 booth AND Evo
b. No in-game appearance seen

-Skull Kid:
a. No Assist seen
b. Different Majora's Mask Assist (Moon) seen

-Ken:
a. Ryu's faded red palette is missing (the original palette it's based on is seemingly a Ken reference while Ken has a Ryu reference palette in the same game)

-Gardevoir:
a. No Poké Ball summon seen

Issac isn't on this list since he wasn't in Smash 4, either. An absence isn't as notable.
I’d be so hyped if sandbag was somehow playable.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
If Ken is an echo, then it's only appropriate that he gets his actual main differences like the firey uppercut. Suggesting that he should be a simple Ryu makes me think those people don't actually play Street Fighter.
The first game they were both in... They were the exact same minus a slightly differently animated throw.

But yeah since then, i'm pretty sure theres some moves Ken doesnt on Ryu.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Interesting idea! Are there any potential Boss character candidates that fit the bill for that gun model? Of course it could also be used for a smash original Boss character if Sakurai wants to make more of them in ultimate.
I can only think of one, and it's a huge stretch.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Interesting idea! Are there any potential Boss character candidates that fit the bill for that gun model? Of course it could also be used for a smash original Boss character if Sakurai wants to make more of them in ultimate.
This

What potential boss characters could be weilding a gun?

That's something I'm curious about. The only idea I have is something in Metroid, but I can't think of anything

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
We already got Ridley/K. Rool/Simon Belmont/Richter Belmont as "retro characters" (they are all from 1987-1993 respectively).

We're almost flat out of "retro" characters from the NES/SNES era. The only ones that matter I can think of are Crono from Chrono Trigger, Geno from Super Mario RPG, Ken from Street Fighter and Dixie Kong from Donkey Kong Country.

That's how deep the retro lineup of Smash is ATM.

The only real retro choices left that make sense are from the Game Boy/N64/PS1 era seem to be Banjo & Kazooie, Rayman, Heihachi Mishima (or his son Kazuya or grandson Jin) from Tekken, Crash Bandicoot (sorry Spyro the Dragon fans), Paper Mario, Black Shadow from F-Zero X, Impa from Ocarina of Time, and Skull Kid from Majora's Mask.

ATM the only "totally unexpected character" is Crono... which sadly isn't happening.
There are characters from the NES/SNES era left like Lip (Panel De Pon), Prince Sable, Balloon Fighter, Donkey Jr, FF 1-6 characters, Dragon Quest Warrior, LoLo, Excitbike, Double Dragon (Don’t know the names), Boy & Blob, Ninja Gaiden, Mike (Startropics),

Saki Amamiya, Isaac,
My old list of "mysteriously absent" characters has now been updated.

-Dark Samus:
a. No Assist seen
b. Samus' palette for Dark Samus is missing

-Shadow:
a. No Assist seen
b. Different Sonic character Assist (Knuckles) seen

-Isabelle:
a. No Assist seen
b. Different Animal Crossing character Assist (Kap'n) seen

-Ashley:
a. No Assist seen

-Chrom:
a. Robin's Final Smash currently unknown
b. Ike's palette for Chrom is missing

-Lip:
a. No Lip's Stick item seen

-Sandbag:
a. Prop seen at E3 booth AND Evo
b. No in-game appearance seen

-Skull Kid:
a. No Assist seen
b. Different Majora's Mask Assist (Moon) seen

-Ken:
a. Ryu's faded red palette is missing (the original palette it's based on is seemingly a Ken reference while Ken has a Ryu reference palette in the same game)

-Gardevoir:
a. No Poké Ball summon seen

Issac isn't on this list since he wasn't in Smash 4, either. An absence isn't as notable.
Umm... I don’t see Lip’s Item on the website of the items shown.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
you could add something to the discussion.

I mean, this is honestly the most interesting discussion of BWD I’ve seen yet because it’s not a hive mind; it’s actually interesting and diverse opinions and discussion
I added a meme, that's enough.

But seriously, I'm not interested at all about having debates and discussing the same "Bandana Dee is generic, boring, ugly, unimportant, filler" things I discussed years ago. Smash 4 made me realize how useless speculation and debates full of hate are, the final results of the game will be the same no matter what and if a controversial character gets in almost everybody, including haters, will act like the character was always a great or obvious choice.

I'm just here for leaks, jokes and positive things about the characters I like.
If you dislike Bandana Dee, you can visit the character thread to know more about him and if you still don't like it, eh, I don't really care much, that will not change if he is in or not haha, it's Sakurai's decision.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
The first game they were both in... They were the exact same minus a slightly differently animated throw.

But yeah since then, i'm pretty sure theres some moves Ken doesnt on Ryu.
They really only share the typical Shotoclone stuff. Hadoken, Shoryuken, Tastumaki Senpukuaku, etc.

Everything else is unique.

D

Deleted member

There are characters from the NES/SNES era left like Lip (Panel De Pon), Prince Sable, Balloon Fighter, Donkey Jr, FF 1-6 characters, Dragon Quest Warrior, LoLo, Excitbike, Double Dragon (Don’t know the names), Boy & Blob, Ninja Gaiden, Mike (Startropics),

Saki Amamiya, Isaac,

That's because the list doesn't have all the items.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Saki Amamiya, Isaac,

It's been shown though
http://smashbros-ultimate.com/items/lips-stick

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
I have the strong suspicion that once smash ultimate is done roster wise, "echo" is just going to mean "clone character that was in ultimate". Every echo we get breaks a rule we previously thought defined them.
I want to point out that no echo so far has broken the rule about same stats. Only Dark Samus is a maybe there, cause we're unsure if the floaty description is about fallspeed or just the animation.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

Saki Amamiya, Isaac,

Richter's got a pic with it.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
I want to point out that no echo so far has broken the rule about same stats. Only Dark Samus is a maybe there, cause we're unsure if the floaty description is about fallspeed or just the animation.
Emphasis on so far, not to mention that this will basically be impossible to tell until we get the chance to test echoes or datamine for the exact numbers.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
This is exactly how I feel. Everyone mentions Decidueye and Incineroar, but I cannot really see either of those being truly unique, since we already have two archers (Pit, Link) and we already have characters who mainly use fire and command grabs (bowser, ridley, ganondorf)
I'm indifferent to incineroar but those are pretty poor comparisons lol. Not of those characters mainly use command grabs and not of them have a moveset based around them. With standard grabs being universally nerfed this game, a grab central character could potentially stand out even more.

Now, I'm less indifferent about that. I think that sounds really cool tbh. Especially if at least one of his aerials is a command grab that could lead to further follow-ups!
I'm still down to commentate it live.

I got the trash talk lines down folks.

You don't want to get in the bubble with a man made for trouble.
Trying to steal credit :laugh:

Commentators were me, Moon, and
Smooth Criminal

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Giygas? That's some serious bull**** right there.
It is

But it's kind of awesome bull ****.

Like if a bull **** out... awesomeness. I couldn't think of a way to make this analogy work

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I'm indifferent to incineroar but those are pretty poor comparisons lol. Not of those characters mainly use command grabs and not of them have a moveset based around them. With standard grabs being universally nerfed this game, a grab central character could potentially stand out even more.

Now, I'm less indifferent about that. I think that sounds really cool tbh. Especially if at least one of his aerials is a command grab that could lead to further follow-ups!
The grab nerfs were foreshadowing all along :surprised:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I'd have a problem with Fire Emblem only having two unique characters from the eight they got in that scenario. Yes, the series is rife with characters, but most of them all sharing moves with another would be a little silly.

Also Zelda, Donkey Kong, Street Fighter, Sonic, Xenoblade, Pokemon are all series that could have an echo or two added but we get three FE echoes instead? Eeeeeh...try to diversify the echoes a bit, at least.
Actually that would be 3 unique fighters: Marth, Robin, and Corrin

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Last edited:

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
I saw some Black Knight speculation a few pages back and I thought I'd throw my two cents in. Ike is much faster in ultimate then he was in smash 4 and at first I thought maybe it was to make him more similar to how fast chrom would be as his echo. Now that chrom is confirmed to be Roy's echo it got me thinking about other FE characters that could make for good echoes and honestly Black Knight seems pretty likely. From the fact hes no longer on castle siege and the fact that he could be a slower, more powerful, Ike I'd be super down as hes honestly one of the coolest FE characters and he has a very striking silhouette comparitivley.

Again this is all pretty loose speculation but I think he'd be awesome even if we dont need more fire emblem. Honestly i wouldnt mind either way but if hes in i might have to drop ike for him as my main lol.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
This thread jumped a quite a bit. What happened other than the Villager blog entry?
Oh, someone tried to argue that Bandana Dee can't get in because he's not popular in the right way or something like that. Typical arbitrary argument stuff, but it lasted for quite a few pages.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom