• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Watch more than just top 8 and you're going to see a lot more than top 10 chars. Pools are great to watch tbh. That and the fact we had a Duck Hunt at EVO top 8, regardless of the laughably bad Grand Finals.
Which was great. I love seeing Duck Hunt make it high in tournaments. But you know very well the point of my post. Cloud and Bayonetta get up there all the time. And out of over 50 characters, that sucks. It’s inevitable, sure, but I hope the balancing is closer this time.

I guess that’s my pipe dream.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think he's an insider that cleverly disgueses his information as guesses so he doesn't get negative attention and drama.
That's exactly what I would do if I knew everything about a new Smash game, disguise my information as "guesses" or "wish lists".

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Which was great. I love seeing Duck Hunt make it high in tournaments. But you know very well the point of my post. Cloud and Bayonetta get up there all the time. And out of over 50 characters, that sucks. It’s inevitable, sure, but I hope the balancing is closer this time.

Not likely, this only top 10 characters in most top 8s **** is just how it is in fighting games in general, mate. Smash 4 is actually balanced pretty impressively all things considered.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Buffs to our mains? They already gave my main the biggest buff I could ever ask for with his down-b. And they appearently fixed his Up Smash as well. At this point I'm just hoping Zard isn't nerfed beyond his jab already doing less damage.

A little more air speed might be nice though.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
What are buffs you desperately want your Smash 4 mains to get.

I want Rob to get a larger grab and more air speed.
For Shulk... just faster moves. Blease. I'm begging.
:ultbowserjr:
Oh boy... where do I even begin.
1. Fix the Cannon. Please
2. Reduced landing lag
3. At least one reliable combo throw. Just ONE.
4. After the Up B, let us respawn the clown car after getting hit, regardless of the strength of the attack.
5. Faster movement
6. Fix the freakin' Cannon.

Last edited:

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976

Even if the balance was tailored towards 1v1s, you'd still see an abundance of the top characters in the game. Look at Guilty Gear Xrd and Under Night In-Birth, those are some of the most well-balanced fighting games on the market right now, but regardless of how viable they are, you never see a Potemkin or Enkidu outside of certain tournaments. Hell, you rarely see low-mid to mid tiers in those games save for some examples. Sure, they still show up, but you're never ever going to see a Potemkin player in anywhere near the same ratio you see a Ky or Johnny player. All three are completely viable characters, but it's the eternal law of fighting games that you're going to see the chars that sit near or at the top way more than you see characters near or at the bottom.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
How does nintendo even find you under a pseudonym?
1490915479254.gif

Those Nintenjas must be mad with hacker skillz.

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
:ultbowserjr:
Oh boy... where do I even begin.
1. Fix the Cannon. Please
2. Reduced landing lag
3. At least one reliable combo throw. Just ONE.
4. After the Up B, let us respawn the clown car after getting hit, regardless of the strength of the attack.
5. Faster movement
6. Fix the freakin' Cannon.
If we're talking Bojo, then we should fix it so that he either doesn't have the stupid difference in his and the clown car's hitbox or make the car's hitbox more pronounced and take priority over Bojo's.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Not likely, this only top 10 characters in most top 8s **** is just how it is in fighting games in general, mate. Smash 4 is actually balanced pretty impressively all things considered.
Hence the “pipe dream” comment.
I’m so painfully aware that’s the case. Lol.
It is one of the best balanced games I’ve seen despite the roster size.
I’m just voicing a snowball’s hope for it’s short stay in hell.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
The last things he's said. Claims Isaac is in, straight up.

View attachment 160385View attachment 160386
Interesting. I'll keep it in mind.

Also buffs to our mains, huh. I actually kinda like how my mains are now seeing as they were both in the demo. Ness seems to be pretty good from what I've seen and heard from competitive Ness players and Villager, I just want them to buff his grab so it isn't as slow, that's all.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Alright.

Incineroar gets revealed as the next newcomer in a September Direct after they discuss LGP/E, how do you react?
Meh, not interested, but congrats to their fans.
It's Shadow.

Even if he didn't do highly in the ballot, he's still a really popular character on his own right and he's such an easy no-brainer echo that I imagine Sakurai going "just ****ing put him in brah" in his office while All Hail Shadow blasts from the speakers.
If Shadow is an echo, then Blaze the Cat should have a reveal trailer as a unique newcomer in Smash too.

Also All hail Shadow (Magna-Fi version) is the best Shadow song.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Even if the balance was tailored towards 1v1s, you'd still see an abundance of the top characters in the game. Look at Guilty Gear Xrd and Under Night In-Birth, those are some of the most well-balanced fighting games on the market right now, but regardless of how viable they are, you never see a Potemkin or Enkidu outside of certain tournaments. Hell, you rarely see low-mid to mid tiers in those games save for some examples. Sure, they still show up, but you're never ever going to see a Potemkin player in anywhere near the same ratio you see a Ky or Johnny player. All three are completely viable characters, but it's the eternal law of fighting games that you're going to see the chars that sit near or at the top way more than you see characters near or at the bottom.
Again. Pipe dream. I’m well aware. I go as far back as Street Fighter 2. :ultryu:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
What are buffs you desperately want your Smash 4 mains to get.

I want Rob to get a larger grab and more air speed.
For Shulk... just faster moves. Blease. I'm begging.
Maybe I should clarify...

:ultyoshi:
1. safer dodges
2. faster grab
3. fthrow kills
4. fix hitbox on fsmash
5. armor on Side B
6. lag is reduced on his attacks across the board
7. DJ height is increased
8. Side B should be cancellable
9. tether recovery
10. grab should be able to eat items

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
Honestly it's been a while since i've played Smash 4.
I don't even remember how Corrin plays, let alone how to buff her.
Just revert pin in Ultimate to how it is in Smash 4, then you can go back to eating glue.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
If we're talking Bojo, then we should fix it so that he either doesn't have the stupid difference in his and the clown car's hitbox or make the car's hitbox more pronounced and take priority over Bojo's.
Yes. YES. YES!!!

Sorry, I got a little bit excited there.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Bowser and DK in 4 are likely gonna be the prime of super heavyweights in terms of viability, tbh. They're just fundamentally at a disadvantage because of their inherent flaws as characters.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the super heavyweights. Nobody really thinks of Rob as a proper heavy, not even me, considering he's on the lighter side of the spectrum.
I can see that, but kind of feel it warrants specifying. ROB is 10th heaviest in a game with nearly 60 characters, after all.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
https://youtu.be/ecv3M5_TY_I

Person with stupidly accurate "guesses".View attachment 160382

I think he's an insider that cleverly disgueses his information as guesses so he doesn't get negative attention and drama.
Jokes on you I've been doing that the entire time, watch out for the Direct next month where a bunch of newcomers get shown including Black Shadow Echo and Deathborn and also Goku and The Vulture from Mario 64

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Bowser and DK in 4 are likely gonna be the prime of super heavyweights in terms of viability, tbh. They're just fundamentally at a disadvantage because of their inherent flaws as characters.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the super heavyweights. Nobody really thinks of Rob as a proper heavy, not even me, considering he's on the lighter side of the spectrum.
Yeah. I consider the "heavies" as Bowser, DK, Dedede, Ganon, Ridley, and K. Rool. Snake is a weird case.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Dan Floyd, one person I respect very much, has posted a new episode of his series talking about Smash as the topic.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
It's almost like there is more evidence outside of the furniture.
You mean the same evidence for many other characters? Popularity, not reprising a former AT or boss role, moveset potential, etc. can be used for nearly any character. What do you think makes Skull Kid so special?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom