• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Hey, all good and I understand. Don't let this drag you down bro, hype all you want!
Well, Ridley and K Rool were my two most wanted characters. I've also always liked the ideas of Dark Samus and Simon Belmont, and recently got into Splatoon 2. Oh, and I mained ICs back in Brawl.

Basically I've got far more out of this game already than any other Smash in terms of wanted characters and just hope everyone else ends up as happy with it. I jumped on the boring line moreso because I'm used to seeing people actively campaign against popular characters purely because they're popular rather than any intrinsic merit they do or don't have.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Ah, okay I see. I don't really agree with his points given though. Sure any Waddle Dee can use a Parasol which Bandana Dee has used from time to time but none of them besides Bandana Dee has used a Spear. And the argument that only Kirby fans would recognize him, the same could be said for King K. Rool for DK, Isaac for Golden Sun, and especially Geno for Super Mario RPG. So what's the difference between them and Bandana Dee?
Yeah it's definitely just his opinion on the matter. He's clearly more biased towards Isaac, Geno and Banjo. Honestly, I hope all 4 get in. We can close a lot of doors on character. Super happy we already can so far with Ridley and K. Rool.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Whatever dream you wanna dream, here's the paste so I don't repeat myself.
I have read it before, and addressed many of those points. Which one is more popular isn't the decisive factor. Popularity is important, but not everything. Banjo & Kazooie have the moveset--Smash started out as a fighter with platforming characters in the era Banjo & Kazooie were one of Nintendo's biggest platformers. Banjo-Kazooie is all about gaining moves, which all fit in well within Smash. Minecraft Steve is a joke character.

Also, to the claim that Banjo & Kazooie aren't popular in the East--only if you go by game sales, whereas every Japan poll in 2015 has Banjo & Kazooie in the top ten, if not the highest third party character for Smash, which is what we're talking about. Where's Minecraft Steve on those lists? Crickets.

Minecraft's popularity is not to be taken for granted, however, which is why I said Minecraft representation is better suited as a stage and assist trophy--same as Monster Hunter. I literally addressed those points in my post.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Well, Ridley and K Rool were my two most wanted characters. I've also always liked the ideas of Dark Samus and Simon Belmont, and recently got into Splatoon 2. Oh, and I mained ICs back in Brawl.

Basically I've got far more out of this game already than any other Smash in terms of wanted characters and just hope everyone else ends up as happy with it. I jumped on the boring line moreso because I'm used to seeing people actively campaign against popular characters purely because they're popular rather than any intrinsic merit they do or don't have.
Most of these characters are popular for a reason, so it's always something to see true, genuine anti-bandwagoners.

D

Deleted member

>Mimique makes accurate predictions and presents them as predictions
"**** guys he's leaking the game"
>Vergeben leaks accurate stuff and presents it as a leak
"lol he's fake don't bother with him"

I swear this thread is wild.

StormC

Smash Hero
If Sakurai cared more about what the little kids play instead of giving older fans characters they want, we would have Monster Hunter instead of Mega Man.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
Isaac, Skull Kid, Geno, Banjo and Incineroar are boring? I'm lost

Isaac - my first smash bros was the original when my mom gave it to me with my nintendo 64 at age 10 in year 2000. Then it became my favorite game ever. Later, I got my GBA with Golden Sun and I dreamed about Isaac being added to my favorite game, Smash. Sadly, Melee was already out, so my hopes went to the new entry of the series. Brawl came and Isaac made it as an AT, not what I want but I was grateful. Then Smash 4 came and Isaac was removed from de AT position without an explanation, and I was hoping that the reason was they gonna give us Isaac as a DLC fighter. Never happen. So now, for the first time in more than 10 years I see a real shot of Isaac being added, and I'm pretty sure that there are others like me. I still go with a 50/50 chance, but it's more than enough for me.

Skull Kid - Really like his desing.

Geno - Never played Super Mario RPG, but his fans are just like Isaac fans, so I hope they get him.

Banjo - If became a player fighter, IT WOULD BE SO CRAZY. People on the internet will go wild.

Incineroar - My least favorite alolan starter, but I think I would be cool, he's a wrestler and we don't have that on smash.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
>Mimique makes accurate predictions and presents them as predictions
"**** guys he's leaking the game"
>Vergeben leaks accurate stuff and presents it as a leak
"lol he's fake don't bother with him"

I swear this thread is wild.
...okay yeah right in the kissah
Seriously guys. Now we got a #TeamMimique?

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Mimique also retweeted this last week:
Screenshot_20180829-192127~01.png

Not sure if that means anything though.

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
Latest leak from 4chan - I feel like Ninten is unlikely given that'd be 3 dead franchise reps, but then Sak doesn't even count echoes as "real fighters" so maybe he doesn't think of it that way. The rest sounds feasible i guess, but I did notice he claimed the direct would be "announced on Tuesday" and streamed 2 days later, yet gave the release date as Tuesday. Could just be a simple mistake
leak.png

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/429622225

I know I'm not the usual obscure 4chan leak sharer round these parts but I couldn't wait to see what people thought about this one

EDIT: Funnily enough I just realised, if this were to come out on Thursday (two days after Tuesday, as he claims), that would line up with the post above mine.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Man, as time goes on, I really hope Banjo-Kazooie makes it in. For a couple of reasons. One, so we can finally get all the iconic eras of platformers, two, since my most wanted right now is Rex & Pyra, if they don't get in, Banjo-Kazooie would suffice because "male-female duo" factor and I'll have SOME closure, and three...

TO FINALLY HAVE VINNY FROM VINESAUCE TO STOP PLAYING THE BANJO THEME AT THE BEST OF TIMINGS. HE CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT.

Also the amazing music.

Last edited by a moderator:

blazefan519

Smash Ace
Yeah it's definitely just his opinion on the matter. He's clearly more biased towards Isaac, Geno and Banjo. Honestly, I hope all 4 get in. We can close a lot of doors on character. Super happy we already can so far with Ridley and K. Rool.
Yep. I'm pretty sure no American knew who Marth and Roy were in Melee but that sure didn't stop Sakurai from putting them in. I'd say the only series where you could argue that the characters were recognizable outside the core fans are Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon imo. The rest are pushing it.
Latest leak from 4chan - I feel like Ninten is unlikely given that'd be 3 dead franchise reps, but then Sak doesn't even count echoes as "real fighters" so maybe he doesn't think of it that way. The rest sounds feasible i guess, but I did notice he claimed the direct would be "announced on Tuesday" and streamed 2 days later, yet gave the release date as Tuesday. Could just be a simple mistakeView attachment 160397

I know I'm not the usual obscure 4chan leak sharer round these parts but I couldn't wait to see what people thought about this one
>Z-moves with optional motion controls
inaudible noises of disgust

It's believable enough and I'll admit there's a lot that I like about it, which means it's fake as dirt.

Last edited:

Darkraid

Smash Champion
I'd be mad if Banjo makes it and Crash doesnt

And now I will black knight and black shadow as echoes

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty content with the roster already. Paper Mario, Geno, Isaac and Dixie Kong would all be cool, but I've already got my top 3 most wanted in the game.

But I guess I'll share my thoughts on the speculated 5.

Geno: Would be great to see. One of the coolest Mario-side characters and represents the amazing Super Mario RPG.

Isaac: Another one of my most wanted. The first 2 Golden Sun games are fantastic and he's got tons of potential.

Banjo-Kazooie: Would mostly like the see for the internet to explode. Having a Rare rep would be great and I like their games.

Skull Kid: I've grown to appreciate Majora's Mask more over time and Skull Kid's always been one of the most memorable Zelda characters to me.

Incineroar: Eh, he's okay. I'd prefer Mimikyu (RIP) or Buzzwole, but he's fine I guess.

tl;dr: If the roster is boring then I'm all for it.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Latest leak from 4chan - I feel like Ninten is unlikely given that'd be 3 dead franchise reps, but then Sak doesn't even count echoes as "real fighters" so maybe he doesn't think of it that way. The rest sounds feasible i guess, but I did notice he claimed the direct would be "announced on Tuesday" and streamed 2 days later, yet gave the release date as Tuesday. Could just be a simple mistakeView attachment 160397

This is fake. They can't use Ninten for legal reasons.

Chrono.

>Gamecube Classics

Stopped reading right there.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I’m out of the loop apparently; who is Mimique? A new leaker? What have they said and why are we putting stock in them?

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
So Banjo, Geno, Issac, and Skull Kid are our main 4 for Ultimate huh? I’ll be happy and satisfied if all of them happen and wouldn’t care who else gets in otherwise (cept Dee and Shad).

I’d hate for us to repeat the same mistake we did in 4 where we expected Ridley, K.Rool, Palutena, and Little Mac all to happen at the time...granted the latter two did happen but you understand my drift.

And boring? Pffffffffft

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
So Banjo, Geno, Issac, and Skull Kid are our main 4 for Ultimate huh? I’ll be happy and satisfied if all of them happen and don’t care who else gets in otherwise (cept Dee and Shad).

I’d hate for us to repeat the same mistake we did in 4 where we expected Ridley, K.Rool, Palutena, and Little Mac all to happen at the time...granted the latter two did happen but you understand my drift.

And boring? Pffffffffft
IMO, the leaks revolving solely around them is boring.
The characters? Anything but.
It's TRULY a beautiful age where these 4 are the big ones.
I mean it'd be prettier with Paper Mario but it's okay it's whatever,

LetterO

Smash Lord
I'm gonna still keep being the guy who tries convincing people that a RH character is also probably going to happen due to being an underrated series long overdue with 2 songs, a Smash Run enemy, a few trophies, and a scrapped character.

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
I’m out of the loop apparently; who is Mimique? A new leaker? What have they said and why are we putting stock in them?
Dude who's mad predictions that ended up being true. People think he's a leaker under the guise of a random person who makes lucky guesses.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I've always thought the idea of Dry Bowser is dumb. Having another Bowser that works nearly the same is like another version of Mario or Link. Why do we need another one in the first place?
...because Dry Bowser looks ****ing awesome and breathes blue fire? :T

If he ain't an alt, I'd glad take him as an Echo.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Here's a twist on the 'pick some newcomers' games we've been playing based on our conversations yesterday (or the day before?)

We were arguing over whether it was better to add characters from newer games for their relevance to newer fans or older games for their nostalgia factor for older fans. So let's consider adding newcomers to represent time eras - you need to choose a newcomer who debuted in each of the 5-year periods below.

Before 1990
1990-1995
1995-2000
2000-2005
2005-2010
2010-2015
After 2015

---

Here are mine:

Pre 1990: Toad (first game - Super Mario Bros 2 - 1988)
early 90's: Tails (first game - Sonic the Hedgehog 2, 1992)
late 90's: Ivy (first game - Soulcalibur, 1998
early 00's: Skull Kid (first game - Zelda: Majora's Mask, 2000)
late 00's: Twili Midna (first game - Zelda: Twilight Princess, 2006)
early 10's: Dovahkiin (first game - Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, 2011)
Post 2015: Urbosa (first game - Zelda: Breath of the Wild, 2017)
Zelda bias? What Zelda bias?

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I’d definitely be happy with a Rhythm Heaven stage, there’s a lot creativity you do with it, not that I’m against a fighter of course.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm gonna still keep being the guy who tries convincing people that a RH character is also probably going to happen due to being an underrated series long overdue with 2 songs, a Smash Run enemy, a few trophies, and a scrapped character.
A lot of people sleep on Rhythm Heaven, even though they were planned for Smash 4 along with Chrom who's in Ultimate.
I don't know if they're as likely as the "big 5" we're discussing currently, but they're very very likely.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’d just love to see a Rhythm Heaven character, I don’t care who it is. A rhythm based gimmick sounds really fun

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I have read it before, and addressed many of those points. Which one is more popular isn't the decisive factor. Popularity is important, but not everything. Banjo & Kazooie have the moveset--Smash started out as a fighter with platforming characters in the era Banjo & Kazooie were one of Nintendo's biggest platformers. Banjo-Kazooie is all about gaining moves, which all fit in well within Smash.
Yes, and? He's still a third party at the moment.

Minecraft Steve is a joke character.
1528385180218.gif

No. He's the default skin with the default name.

Also, to the claim that Banjo & Kazooie aren't popular in the East--only if you go by game sales, whereas every Japan poll in 2015 has Banjo & Kazooie in the top ten, if not the highest third party character for Smash, which is what we're talking about. Where's Minecraft Steve on those lists? Crickets.
I don't see any polls, brethren.
The "big one" for most Japan polls people point to at the moment.
Untitled.png

Well ****, crickets are going partying tonight aren't they?

Simon didn't seem to be necessarily as high up either, hell he didn't even show up on that poll or most U.S. based polls, and look who showed up and brought his great great great maybe another great grandson along for the ride. Polls aren't necessarily everything here, and how many fansites with an obvious dedicated viewers have a more central following. This doesn't account for the likes of children or other types of people who smashed that Minecraft poll vote because they can't get enough of the stuff.

Minecraft's popularity is not to be taken for granted, however, which is why I said Minecraft representation is better suited as a stage and assist trophy--same as Monster Hunter. I literally addressed those points in my post.
Unless you're Masahiro Sakurai, that's only your opinion here. I can't really tackle it because how people would want the series implemented varies from person to person, and whatever they believe in is fine. Not really a point, though.

D

Deleted member

This is the most convincing argument for Banjo's inclusion i've ever seen.
I never felt heartbreak when it comes to Smash hype. But when Sakurai said "we have a little surprise", and Vinny played the Banjo theme when it was stage morph...

HE EVEN DID IT DURING MICROSOFT'S E3 CONFERENCE.

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976

EDIT: Funnily enough I just realised, if this were to come out on Thursday (two days after Tuesday, as he claims), that would line up with the post above mine.
Pretty safe barring the Gamecube Classics and new Animal Crossing.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
I mean you have every right to be. It's the character that people have been sleeping on the most. Literally every character from the Gematsu leak has been added except Chorus Kids.

Untouch

Smash Master
I really miss the 3 days after the smash direct where we weren't getting fake leaks anymore.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371

This is a bit too good to be true tbh.

Chrono.

So Banjo, Geno, Issac, and Skull Kid are our main 4 for Ultimate huh? I’ll be happy and satisfied if all of them happen and wouldn’t care who else gets in otherwise (cept Dee and Shad).

And boring? Pffffffffft
I mean, I can see what some folks mean.

If you're talking Smash speculation, you're gonna see the same characters come up a lot. This isn't anything new, before we knew of Cloud in Smash the conversations for DLC always involved the Inklings, Shovel Knight, K.Rool, etc etc.

Yeah it can get a little tiring to see all those characters being mentioned, but at that point, just go to a character support thread or take a break from Smash speculation altogether if you're that bored of it.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Guys, stop with calling some characters the boring 5 except Incineroar, but that’s my opinion.

Isaac, Geno, Banjo, Skull Kid (despite not really wanting him) are dreams come true for so many people that have supported him for so many years, that it would make Ultimate just leagues ahead of any Smash game (which already is).

The only character I can’t really defend is Incineroar, he’s pretty new, is just expected rather than wanted, and there seems to be distaste for his potential inclusion for a bunch of reasons that I’m sure is covered already and argued over and over that I already heard enough of (another fire character, another starter, boring potential playstyle, more unique characters to choose from Gen 7, blah blah blah). He’s an outlier, but even then Incineroar seems to have his fans.

You guys are basically trying to make an “elite” tier of newcomers to try to justify their inclusions and do it for the sake of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom