• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean the same evidence for many other characters? Popularity, not reprising a former AT or boss role, moveset potential, etc. can be used for nearly any character. What do you think makes Skull Kid so special?[/QUOTE
The fact that exaggerated arguments don't discredit reality which is what you're doing. The only other character that shares the same situation as Skull Kid is Shadow where both of their AT have yet to be seen and have been seemingly replaced, maybe Isabelle too. Which is funny since they are both viewed as lock ins at this point. So no, you can't say "many" other characters share the same evidence. It's really not that complicated.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
download.jpg

I guess it wasn't a beret. But that is certainly not the type of cap Ninten wears in the commercial or the official art of him

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Here's a twist on the 'pick some newcomers' games we've been playing based on our conversations yesterday (or the day before?)

We were arguing over whether it was better to add characters from newer games for their relevance to newer fans or older games for their nostalgia factor for older fans. So let's consider adding newcomers to represent time eras - you need to choose a newcomer who debuted in each of the 5-year periods below.

Before 1990
1990-1995
1995-2000
2000-2005
2005-2010
2010-2015
After 2015

---

Here are mine:

Pre 1990: Toad (first game - Super Mario Bros 2 - 1988)
early 90's: Tails (first game - Sonic the Hedgehog 2, 1992)
late 90's: Ivy (first game - Soulcalibur, 1998
early 00's: Skull Kid (first game - Zelda: Majora's Mask, 2000)
late 00's: Twili Midna (first game - Zelda: Twilight Princess, 2006)
early 10's: Dovahkiin (first game - Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, 2011)
Post 2015: Urbosa (first game - Zelda: Breath of the Wild, 2017)
Zelda bias? What Zelda bias?
Before 1990: Kamek
1990-1995: Ganon(Piggy)
1995-2000: Banjo-Kazooie
2000-2005: Skull Kid
2005-2010: Ratchet and Clank
2010-2015: Cursed Undead(Dark Souls)
After 2015: Hollow Knight

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Today's Fighter
#13: Peach
THE super princess. Watch out for her powerful kicks while she's airborne. Using her down special, she picks vegetables and throws them at her opponents. Sometimes she even gets items...like a Bob-omb!

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
The "big one" for most Japan polls people point to at the moment.

Well ****, crickets are going partying tonight aren't they?
Would you stop quoting this image of a prediction poll that's being presented as a wanted poll that wasn't even compiled correctly because the person responsible couldn't read Japanese and screwed things up with Google Translate?

blazefan519

Smash Ace
So here's something I was thinking about. After seeing the video Nintendo recently uploaded about Smash Ultimate at EVO and how increasingly interested they've become in the competitive scene, how do you think Nintendo will hosts tournaments (which hopefully they do). Do you think they'll have it be set to typical competitive rules, something similar to the various invitationals that they've hosted, maybe instead of having Smash Balls they'll have Smash Meter, having Stage Morph be active? What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Please just write any words as normally and let the censoring system take care of it.
My misconceptions in smash bros. In smash 64 I thought :ultsamus: and :ultfalcon: were from the same game and I thought :ultjigglypuff: was from Kirby. I also seriously thought Link said **** every time he used his up special

In melee I was old enough to research everything before jumping to conclusions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrono.

Here's a twist on the 'pick some newcomers' games we've been playing based on our conversations yesterday (or the day before?)

We were arguing over whether it was better to add characters from newer games for their relevance to newer fans or older games for their nostalgia factor for older fans. So let's consider adding newcomers to represent time eras - you need to choose a newcomer who debuted in each of the 5-year periods below.

Before 1990
1990-1995
1995-2000
2000-2005
2005-2010
2010-2015
After 2015

---

Here are mine:

Pre 1990: Toad (first game - Super Mario Bros 2 - 1988)
early 90's: Tails (first game - Sonic the Hedgehog 2, 1992)
late 90's: Ivy (first game - Soulcalibur, 1998
early 00's: Skull Kid (first game - Zelda: Majora's Mask, 2000)
late 00's: Twili Midna (first game - Zelda: Twilight Princess, 2006)
early 10's: Dovahkiin (first game - Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, 2011)
Post 2015: Urbosa (first game - Zelda: Breath of the Wild, 2017)
Zelda bias? What Zelda bias?
This is gonna be fun, on some sections I might add two, the other being an echo of another character.

Pre 1990: Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden - 1988) / Ken Masters (Street Fighter - 1987) [Ryu Echo]
Early 90s: Tails (Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - 1992) / Akuma (Super Street Fighter II Turbo - 1994) [Ryu Echo]
Late 90s: Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest - 1995)
Early 00s: Skull Kid (Majora's Mask - 2000) / Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic Adventure 2 - 2001) [Sonic Echo]
Late 00s: Micaiah (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - 2007)
Early 10s: Zael (The Last Story - 2011) or Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X - 2015)
Post 2015: Rex (Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - 2017)

There were some I wanted to put in (RIP Lloyd) but didn't wanna bloat the post even more that it is.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Please write out the entire word as normal and let the auto-censors do their job.
My misconceptions in smash bros. In smash 64 I thought :ultsamus: and :ultfalcon: were from the same game and I thought :ultjigglypuff: was from Kirby. I also seriously thought Link said **** every time he used his up special

In melee I was old enough to research everything before jumping to conclusions.
That reminds me when I played on Kongo Jungle in Melee. Little me always made sure no parents were around when selecting that stage, because I thought the DK Rap said "if he shoots your ass" because of the monkey screech after "if he shoots ya".

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That reminds me when I played on Kongo Jungle in Melee. Little me always made sure no parents were around when selecting that stage, because I thought the DK Rap said "if he shoots your ass" because of the monkey screech after "if he shoots ya".
My parents didn't like it anyway because it's got the word "hell" in it

P.Kat

Smash Champion
The Favorite Five:
Isaac: Chance: 70%, Want: 100%. I love Swordfighters, plus we don't have anyone who can manipulate Earth as yet or summon elemental spirits.

Incineroar: Chance: 50% Want: 10%. Heavyweights clashes with my speedy playstyle so I have no interests.

Skull Kid: Chance 55% Want 50%. Part of me would rather another Zelda newcomer, like Tetra, Impa, or Mipha. But another part of me want him because of his potential trickster moveset so I can cause mischief on the Battlefield.

Banjo and Kazooie: Chance: 30% Want: 45%. I don't have a lot of interest in them but I remembered how fun hey were in my brief playtime with them

Geno: Chance: 50/50 Want 5%. It's all on Square Enix to decide if they want him in. Personally I just have no interest in him, and would rather someone else particularly Sora. Despite that I still wish his fans the best for his inclusion, as I would much rather want both Sora and Geno to be a double reveal in a trailer:

Heart of the Past, and Heart of the Present: Unite!

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Who said it isn't?

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
I kind of like how the term boring five, originally meant to reference the fact that these five have been speculated over to death, has only increased the amount of speculation around them.

Anyways, here's my speculation around the boring 5:
Isaac - Man his design just does nothing for me. It'd be fun to get another new IP in smash but he just seems like a blonde sword guy that does magic. I guess it's at least earth magic or whatever which is kind of different. Chance wise though I'd say this is his best bet yet for smash considering how many people seemed to have loved Golden Sun (seriously am I the only person that never played that game?) Not terribly likely imo but maybe he did really good in the polls.
Incineroar - Probably my least favourite of the big gen 7 candidates but still a great design nonetheless. I want him to shoot flame tornadoes from his belt. I think he and Tapu Koko have the best chances of the pokemon now, maybe Decidueye or Rowlet, I don't know.
Geno - His design is cool and it's kind of fun that he's got a big fanbase despite being kind of obscure in the grand scheme of things. Mario RPG must have been a really good game! I think he's got a really good chance. I think he, like K. Rool was given a costume in Smash 4 because he was intended on being put in Ultimate.
Skull Kid - Cool design and lots of moveset potential. Would be nice to have something representing the adult timeline (plus SS impa as sheik clone plz.) However, I'm not nearly as confident as other people seem to be. I think he might just not be in the game. A lot of the zelda one-off villains end up as assist trophies and I think it's just a case of them deciding they wanted to have the moon in as an AT instead of skull kid. Although Sakurai did say he was popular and who really knows how he did in the polls... who knows!!!! He might be more likely than I'm feeling.
Banjo & Kazooie Gex - Ladies and gentlemen, Tom Arnolds acting coach

KMDP

Smash Legend
Mario doesn't wear a beret
I wonder what type of cap Mario actually wears.

*looks at many, many hats*

Seems to be a modified Mariner's Cap.

---
As an interesting little hypothetical, if Mario had been designed by, say, Rareware. He would have almost certainly worn a Flat-cap.

For people who aren't British and don't know the Flat-cap's cultural significance to Britain. The flat-cap is the stereotypical Working Class Man's hat.

D

Deleted member

As an interesting little hypothetical, if Mario had been designed by, say, Rareware. He would have almost certainly worn a Flat-cap.

For people who aren't British and don't know the Flat-cap's cultural significance to Britain. The flat-cap is the stereotypical Working Class Man's hat.
Looks similar to Mario Mario's hat.

db_fotog_19407.jpg

Bob Hoskins is British, so maybe it was intentional.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Let's play a game. The newcomer you want the most joins the game, but one of the original 8 characters from SSB64 (so not counting the unlockables) has to be removed from Ultimate. Who are they?
Amaterasu for DK, sorry DK.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Who said it isn't?
To be fair, Sakurai could've realized the DK Rap could put that T rating to some good use.

Then again, they did change hell to heck for Melee, so its unlikely they would've added a word which is generally seen as more vulgar than hell.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Was this a thing
Reffering to the enjoy Shantae thing...whoever said it/posted it is was probably making a joke reference to when Gematsu (or whoever the leaker was...) Said "Enjoy Shulk" right before the direct revealing Robin & Lucina.

Basically a joke making fun of Vergebebebeb.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
So here's something I was thinking about. After seeing the video Nintendo recently uploaded about Smash Ultimate at EVO and how increasingly interested they've become in the competitive scene, how do you think Nintendo will hosts tournaments (which hopefully they do). Do you think they'll have it be set to typical competitive rules, something similar to the various invitationals that they've hosted, maybe instead of having Smash Balls they'll have Smash Meter, having Stage Morph be active? What do you guys think?
Having an alternate ruleset would be interesting, maybe as a side tourney. The main competitive tournament mode would still be 1v1 no items, but you could have doubles with stage morph enabled and Smash Meter enabled to add some variety.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Before 1990 - Alucard (Castlevania 3 was a December 1989 launch)
1990-1995 - Akuma (SSF2: Turbo in 1994)
1995-2000 - Nightmare (Soul Calibur)
2000-2005 - Master Chief (Halo)
2005-2010 - Black Knight (Path of Radiance, 2005)
2010-2015 - Wonder Red (Wonderful 101)
2015 onwards - 2B (Nier Automata)

domriver

Smash Lord
I feel like im reading the same things over and over in different words per page.

Anything on Verge that we should be aware of aside his recent claim of a Square Enix character?
Also I rather have much PORKY in before Ninten should just an alternate costume no?

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I actually own one of those...
Do you now? XD
Looks similar to Mario Mario's hat.

View attachment 160413

Bob Hoskins is British, so maybe it was intentional.
Seems like a Newsboy Cap to me. ...An oddly baggy Newsboy cap.

The little bobble on the top gives it away.

The thought of Mario selling newspapers is amusing to me, for some reason.

It'd be great if Nintendo introduced Mario's father, and he wore a flat-cap.

Untouch

Smash Master
Issac:
Chance: 70%
Want: 50%
Haven't played the GS games but I think he could have a cool moveset, and the more variety in series the better.

Incineroar:
Chance: 80%
Want: 10%
I don't even dislike this pokemon, just feel it wouldn't be exciting at all, there are a lot of gen 7 pokemon with large potential and I don't think Incineroar is one of them.

Banjo and Kazooie:
Chance: 10%
Want: 70%
One of the only third party reps past SNES that I feel is actually fit for smash and I feel if Microsoft didn't own the IP they would already be in. I think microsoft is a hurdle too big though.

Skull Kid
Chance: 60%
Want: 60%
I feel as if he could have an interesting moveset, with Majora. I kind of want Impa as the Zelda rep but I'd be perfectly fine with this though.

Geno
Chance: 30%
Want: 30%
If we're getting another Square Rep I want Crono. Never really cared for SMRPG or Geno honestly but I wouldn't be totally upset.

D

Deleted member

Let's play a game. The newcomer you want the most joins the game, but one of the original 8 characters from SSB64 (so not counting the unlockables) has to be removed from Ultimate. Who are they?
Added: Crono
Removed: Jigglypuff....sorry, you were fun at the time, but now you're just here for nostalgia. Im not sure anybody else would be cut given this choice, to be honest. Its the safest character to get rid of.

EDIT: Oh...so unlockable not included in the choice. My bad; thought '8' was just a typo....hmmm....

Bye Captain Falcon! You're the most expendable and are immediately replaced by Ganon in melee, so...no love lost.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
My Opinion on the Boring/Fab Depending on Who You Ask Five™:

Isaac - I'd mainly be happy for N3ON N3ON
Incineroar - I'd mainly be happy for @GoldenYuiitusin
Geno - I'd mainly be happy for PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate
Skull Kid - I'd mainly be happy for his fans
Banjo - Honestly not really my cup of tea, but I got Chrom so bring on anything, really

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I love how some people are still salty about Dark Pit to this day. If it weren't for Pittoo, Doc and Lucy, we might not have echo fighters today. That means no Dark Samus. That means no Richter. That means, ironically, no Chrom.

I, for one, am grateful for our "pointless" clone friends. :ultdarkpit::ultlucina:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom