• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I feel like Lyn should have gotten in over Chrom as a Roy echo fighter. She's been around much longer and she's easily more popular due to her placement in the Choose Your Heroes poll. It would also give Blazing Blade a rep instead of yet another Awakening rep. Although the poll was done only recently, so maybe Sakurai wasn't aware of her popularity until the roster was already decided.
Nah, she fights nothing like Roy and lacks his proportions. Sakurai definitely would not have put her in like that.

And while Fire Emblem Heroes reinforced Lyn's status as FE's most popular lady (helped by her game being the first localized one), she's always been massively popular and I think IS knows this.

fiddlefaddle199x

Smash Rookie
1. Geno
2. Incineroar
3. Ken
4. Shadow
5. Skull Kid

Geno - Too obvious. The ballot only solidified him, but it's always been leading to this for a decade. Sora will eventually end up as DLC, because between the two, Geno just screams base roster more. Everyone involved knows Geno will sell the game, but Sora will sell DLC.

Incineroar - Vergeben and obvious.

Ken - Vergeben, photo leak, and obvious.

Shadow - Too obvious. Knuckles replaced him as an assist for the obvious reason that he is getting the Isabelle treatment. Too strong of fan demand to cut completely. They would have already shown him as an assist trophy if that was the case. There's no reason to drag out Shadow's fan's hopes for this long only to disappoint them.

Skull Kid - Same as Shadow. He's the less obvious choice of the five, but he's more obvious than just about anyone else not on this list. Long time fan demand. Assist trophy missing and replaced. Ability given to an item. And goddammit, Zelda needs a truly new ****ing representative.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
It wouldn't completely die if we get a solo reveal next week, but it would definitely be a major blow similar to the one Music Theory got. If Incineroar gets revealed next week, Box Theory then banks on Ken being a unique/semi-clone and there being no more Echos, which for me personally, I highly, highly doubt.
While I've joked about Ken being unique after Isabelle's reveal, if that's the direction some box theorists go that is an enormous amount of mental gymnastics to fit the box theory. I think more likely, and still not believable, would be them thinking the final reveal will be echo Ken--for some reason. But if they want to go through those insane levels of rationalization to justify their pet theory, so be it.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Skull Kid seems to be having an interesting comeback.
Due to the Bill joke, I'd think.

Expected a MUCH bigger Steve resurgence but haven't seen one.
It's because he's unfortunately hated.
Trust me, I would love Steve. It's just that people believe what they want. Like Skull Kid. (I personally don't want him tbh)
imo, Bill's tweet was probably just a cheeky MM reference.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Skull Kid seems to be having an interesting comeback.
Due to the Bill joke, I'd think.

Expected a MUCH bigger Steve resurgence but haven't seen one.
As someone who wants Skull Kid and NOT being pulled in by LoZ (That F*****), but instead for the love of the character, It is kind of nice to see this. He will have his time...hopefully.

EDIT: We took a hit back then, but the 'Spirit' is still there.

Last edited:

Xgears

Smash Apprentice
How do I get people to obsess over characters I want like what happened with Skull kid? I'm surprised at the dedication people have to some characters, it's like a cult or something.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
It's because he's unfortunately hated.
Trust me, I would love Steve. It's just that people believe what they want. Like Skull Kid.
imo, Bill's tweet was probably just a cheeky MM reference.
I think it's obvious why--the last we heard about Steve, Hitagi was backtracking saying he was DLC. Whereas with Skull Kid, Bill's tweet is something... even if it's unlikely to turn out to be anything. And again, if there's Steve hate here, outside of me, I'm not seeing it. :p

(hate's too strong of a word though--confusion is much more apt)

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
How do I get people to obsess over characters I want like what happened with Skull kid? I'm surprised at the dedication people have to some characters, it's like a cult or something.
Get lucky with your fake leaks

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Cults are in the eye of the beholder.
But I understand what you mean. For some, it is certainly an age difference. I grew up in the 90s during the late SNES and N64 days. My bias is going to be towards characters during that time.

What character did you have in mind? I'll hear you out. :)

fiddlefaddle199x

Smash Rookie
As someone who wants Skull Kid and NOT being pulled in by LoZ (That F*****), but instead for the love of the character, It is kind of nice to see this. He will have his time...hopefully.

EDIT: We took a hit back then, but the 'Spirit' is still there.
It's weird to see the fans misrepresent the Skull Kid fanbase as ONLY or MOSTLY strong because of Loz. Loz only got as popular as he did BECAUSE we wanted to believe. Sure there may have been a few bandwagon supporters, but the majority of Skull Kid fans have probably been clamoring for him for a long while. I have had him as my #1 most wanted character since before Melee. If anything Loz only gave us a glimmer of hope that was otherwise always extinguished fairly early on in Smash speculation. The fact that Sakurai hasn't revealed his fate at all yet gives me hope now more than anything. Sakurai would be cruel to give us all these reasons to expect him or at least be suspicious of his inclusion, then make us speculate on his fate for months without any certainty, only to then deconfirm him a month or so before release after we get all worked up.

D

Deleted member

Make fake leaks to fuel LaxChris's content.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Holiday headcanons? Okay.

Inkling uses Halloween as a reason to show off her freshest costumes.
Luigi used to love Halloween, but after his supernatural encounters in recent years it just brings up bad memories...
Ridley loves the day of the dead. he loves it so much he sends spirits to the Underworld on a near constant basis.
Every Halloween Wario gets makes a cheap Haunted House and charges kids way too much for it.
Isabelle tries her best to arrange the best Christmas parties for the town, but she worries too much.
K Rool forces all the Kremlings to throw him a huge Christmas party. If they don't bring him gifts to his liking, they get executed.
Peach has the best Christmas parties at her castle. Even Bowser's invited.
Yoshi does get invited to Thanksgiving, but he's always watched over until everyone's had some food. then they let him go nuts.
Bowser always gets Jr and the Kopalings exactly what they want for Christmas. They're all really spoiled, but he doesn't mind because his parents never payed any attention to him.
Sometimes around the colder season, one of Olimar's Pikmin will sprout with a holly leaf.
Hyrule doesn't have Christmas, but they do have a winter holiday where they celebrate the Goddesses's light and the banishment of evil. Ganondorf hates it.
Villager is on the very naughty list.

Last edited:

fiddlefaddle199x

Smash Rookie
Skull Kid's support comes exclusively through straw grasps. First the chairs, and now meaningless tweets.

:4pacman:
Or people who have genuinely wanted the character for years and think he deserves to get in based on various other reasons besides the infamous chairs and this damn tweet.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I think it's obvious why--the last we heard about Steve, Hitagi was backtracking saying he was DLC. Whereas with Skull Kid, Bill's tweet is something... even if it's unlikely to turn out to be anything. And again, if there's Steve hate here, outside of me, I'm not seeing it. :p

(hate's too strong of a word though--confusion is much more apt)
Do people hate Steve simply for his design?

D

Deleted member

Mission Compree :foxmelee:

Whoosh
While I was typing that up, I legit wasn't sure if it was a bait post or not. The Pac-Man did make me hesitate a little, but TBH it's really hard to tell when someone's joking on the internet sometimes.

Well played.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
While I was typing that up, I legit wasn't sure if it was a bait post or not. The Pac-Man did make me hesitate a little, but TBH it's really hard to tell when someone's joking on the internet sometimes.

Well played.
General rule of thumb
:4pacman:=sarcasm
EDIT: I know the pain, but thankfully Pac-Man is usually a safe bet that it is being used as sarcasm

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Trust me, one of my most wanted characters is not highly talked about. If you ask me, just wait for more info to drop. Soon enough they will be highly discussed (at least hopefully). Happened to me with characters like Incineroar, Steve and Elma, who were initially shrugged aside for characters like Decidueye, Banjo Kazooie, and Rex and Pyra. And I'm hoping it's gonna happen again with my most wanted (Not gonna say their name because I already mentioned them quite enough)...
Skull Kid's support comes exclusively through straw grasps. First the chairs, and now meaningless tweets.

:4pacman:
I know you're joking, but this is legitimately true.

Last edited:

Primal Cookie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2532 0420 7538
One of my friends has wanted Skull Kid since the potential DLC for Brawl speculation. To him, SK’s resurgence has been bittersweet - he likes that it’s getting that much support, but he also knows that most of it is just bandwagoning off of the chair theory/the tweet.

He also said “I wouldn’t believe that either the chairs or the tweets are eluding to something if it wasn’t Skull Kid (or if I was sane). However, I am not, so therefore I will get my hopes up for them only to be inevitably be shot down to Earth”.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
I hoped the Ridley and K.Rool supporters would support Agumon after their characters got in to the game.

Reptile Reps Unite?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
You know thinking about it, there has been some crazy straw grasping for this game.
Here is one of my favorites.
super-smash-bros-ultimate-rhythm-heaven-easteregg-dk-1.jpg
EDIT: No attacks here. When I first saw the chairs, I thought Banjo colors. It's all silly.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So if the direct is a Tuesday one, first we'll likely hear abut it is about this time on Sunday/Monday? Am I timezoning right?

fiddlefaddle199x

Smash Rookie
Yeah, Skull kid is meme thanks to the moon Assist and the Loz18 saga.
Dude, how can you legitimately call Skull Kid a meme? Actual memes are Shrek, Home Depot, (and Goku and Waluigi depending on who you ask).

Skull Kid is the compelling antagonist of one of the most unique, beloved games in the catalog of Nintendo's second most popular original IP. Of all the "one-off" characters in the Zelda canon, he is arguably the most widely recognized and wanted character to represent the series - because he's so captivating. He's got a tragic back story and is aesthetically interesting; his move set would surely be unique; Zelda needs a truly new unique representative (Melee being the last game we got a truly new Zelda character); Sakurai knows how much his fans want him and for how long we've wanted him. There's no good reason for him to not be in Smash Ultimate except for maybe Ultimate's developmental time constraints.

Last edited:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
One thing I've always disliked about Ganondorf's TP design, is that his nose is uncharacteristically flat for a gerudo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom