• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I still can't believe we're less than two months out to another Smash game. 4 feels like it was yesterday, jeez.
Yeah, it's pretty crazy. What's also crazy is that by this time next week, we'll already be about half-way through October.

Like, what. Where has this year gone? :dizzy:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Hey, if anyone's interested in discussing the possibility of a hanafuda character for Smash Bros., feel free to drop by my new thread for Nintendo's Tengu. He came up in discussion in the RTC thread recently, so I thought I ought to make a thread to properly discuss the concept if anyone was wanting to. :)

D

Deleted member

What're people thinking the music will be tonight? I'm hoping for some Earthbound.

Untouch

Smash Master
Anyone more familiar with Famitsu know if there's an issue out this week? I thought it was a weekly magazine.

As far as I know Sakurai has been doing bi-weekly articles and it's been two weeks so I think we could get an article this week (again, probably not reveal related but about some other aspect of the game).
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-2284793

There is one according to this.
No cover yet though.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
There was a thread on Gamefaqs by someone looking to commit account suicide. It was called Ganondorf is in Brawl.

What it actually was, was a video link of a person (Presumably a WW2 soldier) getting gruesomely decapitated, slowly with a knife, in ridiculous detail.The thread was deleted in minutes, but it was enough to horrify everyone for a while afterwards. The guy's channel was promptly nuked, and it's rumored the FBI even got involved (this is unconfirmed)
Dang, glad I wasn’t frequenting forums and message boards back then.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So, if we don't get anything tomorrow, I guess Playlist Theory is dead.

If we do get something tomorrow, I guess it'll be a Lucina/Robin-type reveal that just pops up, like others have said, unless they announce something later today.

What're people thinking the music will be tonight? I'm hoping for some Earthbound.
EarthBound; Porky Means Business!, Hi Hi Hi (Saturn Valley) + Mr. Saturn Theme Z, Battle Against a Machine, or The Skyrunner + A Flying Whatchamacallit

or Minecraft

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Now I don't know about that, but what I do know is that without clones, we likely would of never gotten Daisy, so I don't have an issue with it.
It's been stated multiple times that clones like Ganondorf, Roy, Lucina and Dark Pit were not a part of the original roster decision and were only added later in development. One can infer from that that the original ideas that were cut during development-- Bowser, Marth and Mewtwo from 64, Wario from Melee, Dixe and Geno from Brawl, etc.-- were then replaced by the clones to pad the roster as they take much less work than an original newcomer would.

Ultimate is a different beast though. They seem to have coined the term "echo fighter" to market clones as a positive thing, because they realized that bringing back all the veterans would reduce the amount of unique newcomers. It's fully possible that this game's clones were actually planned from the start.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Tails is absolutely my most wanted Sonic character, and the only way I will ever concede that anyone should make it in before him is if they're an echo. In this case, Shadow.

If Shadow was a partial clone though, or a unique character, I'd be a bit miffed. Obviously wouldn't throw a tantrum or something silly, and would be happy for those who want him, but y'know.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

EarthBound; Porky Means Business!, Hi Hi Hi (Saturn Valley) + Mr. Saturn Theme Z, Battle Against a Machine, or The Skyrunner + A Flying Whatchamacallit

or Minecraft
I really want a remix of Battle Against a Weird Opponent, or even better, a battle theme medley. Skyrunner would be pretty cool as well, though.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I think it might be either Earthbound, Sonic or Xenoblade.

Although I hope no music is shown from Xenoblade (X specifically), since that may point to Elma not being playable (unless it ties in to a character reveal relatively soon from now).

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Hey, if anyone's interested in discussing the possibility of a hanafuda character for Smash Bros., feel free to drop by my new thread for Nintendo's Tengu. He came up in discussion in the RTC thread recently, so I thought I ought to make a thread to properly discuss the concept if anyone was wanting to. :)
While I don't support a Hanafuda character, a stage would have the potential to look beautiful.

Untouch

Smash Master
I don't think we're getting an Earthbound track ever, just because of the legal stuff surrounding it unfortunately.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I don't think we're getting an Earthbound track ever, just because of the legal stuff surrounding it unfortunately.
Is Earthbound/Mother one of the series where they don't pick the stages at tournaments for streaming reasons re: copyrighted music?

D

Deleted member

That only applies to a few battle themes, does it not? Things like more of the town themes and some of the battle themes would be fine.

For example, we could get an ambience track like Pikmin did. Giygas Breath is a classic. :troll:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
This may have been discussed already, but I haven't seen anyone talk about this, so I thought I would ask. Do you guys think the Steven Battle theme could hurt Incenaroar's chances? I think it could go one of three ways:
A. The music theory doesn't mean anything and Sakurai will add whatever music he wants.
B. It could hurt his chances (though I think this is the least likely)
c. It has no effect on him since it's Generation 3 music and Incenaroar would probably get a song from Generation 7 to tie with his reveal.

I think A and C are the most likely and equally likely.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Damn I was hoping for a direct so bad. I'm so tired of leak speak and rumor discussions. The August 8th direct put that stuff on the backburner for like 3 weeks until Isabelle appeared and then everyone started following Vergeben as their lord and savior again.

D

Deleted member

Is Earthbound/Mother one of the series where they don't pick the stages at tournaments for streaming reasons re: copyrighted music?
None of the EarthBound stages have ever been legal. No clue if there's a ban on Omega Onett or not.

Oddly enough, one of the legal Omega forms at EVO 2018 was Midgar, the stage most plagued by copyright issues.

D

Deleted member

The only three stages in the series are banned in tournaments for different reasons. Namely Onett has walkoffs, and New Pork City is way too big.

D

Deleted member

This may have been discussed already, but I haven't seen anyone talk about this, so I thought I would ask. Do you guys think the Steven Battle theme could hurt Incenaroar's chances? I think it could go one of three ways:
A. The music theory doesn't mean anything and Sakurai will add whatever music he wants.
c. It has no effect on him since it's Generation 3 music and Incenaroar would probably get a song from Generation 7 to tie with his reveal.

I think you're right about scenario A and C being the most likely. As someone who believed Music Theory for a short time, it was admittedly a bit out there. TBH I have a gut feeling that all of the current theories will end up having bits of truth in them mixed in with wrong predictions, but that's just me.

Untouch

Smash Master
An ultimate event this year had to mute music because they randomly picked Onett. I believe there are issues here. Nintendo doesn't technically own the Earthbound properties and it's kind of a mess.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

I think it's C. Steven battle theme isn't especially associated with gen 7

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Yeah, I don't think the Steven Theme remix hurts his chances...
Pokemon gets a new Rep in every Smash game, and I don't see this one being any different...
So yeah, A or C

SonicMario

Smash Master

I do think music theory has lost some of it's leeway if indeed Incineroar is playable yet we got a Pokemon anyway. Albeit that 3rd thing may be a possibility but for now until that's proven, feels a little like grasping for straws on behalf of the theory.

Still, I can't help but at least keep it in mind still. Since it still seems so weird they purposefully waited until Isabelle was revealed to put Animal Crossing music down on the music day after that reveal.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If they had to mute music that's in the game at an event, then maybe we'll get a new EarthBound track in the game anyway, if Nintendo can license some more.

I guess the composer just sets a high price? Most of the EarthBound music seems to be original, other than obvious stuff like Mr. Batty.

I think C would make newcomers from other series just as likely as Incineroar even with their series' already getting music.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Damn I was hoping for a direct so bad. I'm so tired of leak speak and rumor discussions. The August 8th direct put that stuff on the backburner for like 3 weeks until Isabelle appeared and then everyone started following Vergeben as their lord and savior again.
I'm sort of glad we got nothing today, if it happens tomorrow, that'll give me something to look forward to at the end of the day, since I have a job advisor coming to inspect my work tomorrow. :nervous:

The only three stages in the series are banned in tournaments for different reasons. Namely Onett has walkoffs, and New Pork City is way too big.
Hasn't Fourside been brought back?

Still, I can't help but at least keep it in mind still. Since it still seems so weird they purposefully waited until Isabelle was revealed to put Animal Crossing music down on the music day after that reveal.
They just kept up appearances, so that they wouldn't look incompetent for once.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
I'm sort of glad we got nothing today, if it happens tomorrow, that'll give me something to look forward to at the end of the day, since I have a job advisor coming to inspect my work tomorrow. :nervous:

Hasn't Fourside been brought back?
Fourside has some issues too, camping the UFO and how the stage ironically really hurts Ness and Lucas' recoveries.

D

Deleted member

Every EarthBound stage (Onett, Fourside, New Pork City, and Magicant) is back, and none of them are legal.
That's what Battlefield forms are for. :D

At least I'd hope people would be interested in the possibility of allowing those. Even if it's only a visual difference, variety is nice.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, I do wonder if we'll get an unrelated music track like last time.

Fourside has some issues too, camping the UFO and how the stage ironically really hurts Ness and Lucas' recoveries.
Every EarthBound stage (Onett, Fourside, New Pork City, and Magicant) is back, and none of them are legal.
Dang, I feel sorry for the fanbase, their series gets love, yet every single stage is banned from tournaments.

But at least we still got this:

That's what Battlefield forms are for. :D

At least I'd hope people would be interested in the possibility of allowing those. Even if it's only a visual difference, variety is nice.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
If they had to mute music that's in the game at an event, then maybe we'll get a new EarthBound track in the game anyway, if Nintendo can license some more.

I guess the composer just sets a high price? Most of the EarthBound music seems to be original, other than obvious stuff like Mr. Batty.

I think C would make newcomers from other series just as likely as Incineroar even with their series' already getting music.
Yeah, and I believe we're getting Incenaroar no matter what music we get, which is why I think the music theory is complete bull

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom