• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I counter with this:

https://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/characters/sonic.html

I ain't having anyone making fun of what was absolutely and without doubt the rgeatest lead up to a game release of all time. We got SO MUCH cool news and info dropping almost nightly, that we didn't care when something like 'You Must Recover!' came up. Newcomers literally just dropped at random on the site. Footage from the SSE. ATs - which were new and exciting. It was awesome.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's true though there's people who wants Lyn as much as Waluigi and Ashley for one. It wouldn't be fair if they got in but Lyn didn't.
"There were people who wanted Wolf back just as much as Lucas and Roy. It wouldn't be fair if they got in and Wolf didn't."

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
That isn't a Sakurai thing to do

I fail to see how Incineroar, a prominent character from Pokemon, getting in feels less "right" than Ashley, a side character from a spin-off. I understand why you feel that way but I'm not sure it's especially valid objectively.
If by "prominent", you mean forced down our throats by GameFreak/TPCi, then sure.
Tell that to Corrin.
Yeah, but at least Corrin was unique. No other character in the roster can transform into a dragon while wielding a chainsaw sword.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Corrin forever will be remembered as the character people never asked for to begin with and have since made as their punching bag for stealing the slot for so many wants (King K. Rool, Ridley, Geno, Isaac, etc.). :p

Last edited:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Wait does this mean Luigi has a pseudo-tether grab??

Like he'll be able to grab opponents from a distance with the vaccum for the grab or is he just using it for directional throw attacks?

Either way, i love it.

Narr

AN ORB OF MANY TALENTS
NNID
LordChrom
3DS FC
1289-8310-9030
Switch FC
SW 8256 5756 1598
If by "prominent", you mean forced down out throats by GameFreak/TPCi, then sure.
you could literally say this about every pokémon in smash with the exception of maybe pichu

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah, but at least Corrin was unique. No other character in the roster can transform into a dragon while wielding a chainsaw sword.
You...
could say that about everyone. And everything.
After all developers usually try to differentiate their characters.

"No one has used iaijutsu"
"No one has used an axe"
"No one has had a horse."
"No one has casted magic from their health"
"No one is left-handed (anymore)."
"No one wields a spear"
"No one wields a rapier."

Last edited:

Narr

AN ORB OF MANY TALENTS
NNID
LordChrom
3DS FC
1289-8310-9030
Switch FC
SW 8256 5756 1598
Corrin forever will be remembered as the character people never asked for to begin with and have since made as their punching bag for stealing the slot for so many wants (King K. Rool, Ridley, Geno, Isaac, etc.). :p
i wish i could make corrin my punching bag but they would just counter me mid-air and kill me at 60%

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
He/she gets a lot of hate, but Corrin is an incredibly fun and unique character.

Despite me not liking them as a character in their own game, I'm glad they're in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh, guess we're back to "let's **** on Incineroar" hour brought to us by our local SuperSceptile.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
It would be really cool if Luigi could hold down the grab button to continue sucking while moving similar to how it works in Luigi's Mansion. Also, I find it a bit suspicious the blog specifically mentions Luigi's "New" poltergust. Considering Luigi used some of the new features in Simon's trailer, I wouldn't be surprised if new abilities such as the plunger attack made it into his throws.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My first impression of Corrin was using an aerial and being flung in the opposite direction to my death,

Not a fan

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I just thought of something. What if Luigi's Poltergust doesn't suck in opponents but instead uses the Plunger as a tether grab?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
it's not Smash's fault that Fates was a really divisive game.
No, but it IS their fault for including a character SOLEY ON THE BASIS OF PROMOTING THEIR GAME RATHER THAN ANY FAN DEMAND.
You have the most iconic and influential mascot fighter on the ****ing planet and this is what you do with your resources? ADVERTISING!?

HOW ABOUT YOU ADD CHARACTERS PEOPLE ASK FOR, FIRST?
And no, I don't believe the 4 months of Fates Japan-only release was enough time for Smash to simultaneously find out if Japan loved him (which I doubt) and develop him at the same time.

For shame.
Might as well add the 3 Three Houses heroes and Byleth for all the difference they make.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
No, but it IS their fault for including a character SOLEY ON THE BASIS OF PROMOTING THEIR GAME RATHER THAN ANY FAN DEMAND.
You have the most iconic and influential mascot fighter on the ****ing planet and this is what you do with your resources? ADVERTISING!?

And no, I don't believe the 4 months of Fates Japan-only release was enough time for Smash to simultaneously find out if Japan loved him (which I doubt) and develop him at the same time.

For shame.
Might as well add the 3 Three Houses heroes and Byleth for all the difference they make.
So you must hate Roy then?

osby

Smash Obsessed
"Corrin got in over my fave" is a really faulty logic, because it ignores IS helped his development, he shares a skeleton with another figther and he was a bonus to begin with.

EDIT: Also, it's been like years since his inclusion, and people are still salty about it? That's ok, but this debate really got old.

Last edited:

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace

For shame.
A good quarter of the characters in Smash wouldn't even be here if fan demand was the be-all end all of a character making it in. It's not really interesting if the only characters who make it in are just the ones everyone asks for.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
You...
could say that about everyone. And everything.
After all developers usually try to differentiate their characters.

"No one has used iaijutsu"
"No one has used an axe"
"No one has had a horse."
"No one has casted magic from their health"
"No one is left-handed (anymore)."
"No one wields a spear"
"No one wields a rapier."
I mean you're right about most of that to an extent but
- Young Link in left handed (and Toon Link)
-Simon and Richter throw axes and villager swings an axe
-casting magic from health is a stupid mechanic but I guess you could make an argument for pichu doing that
-Corrin's sword has spear like elements - mainly his side special
-...a rapier, doesn't lucina and marth wield one?

Last edited:

Polan

Smash Lord
>people didn't want corrin

i explicitly remember people asking for corrin very soon after fates got revealed. think they even had a support thread on smashboards very soon after. people were even making "vote for corrin in the smash ballot" pictures
so....all the people saying that no one wanted them are filthy revisionists.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
>people didn't want corrin

i explicitly remember people asking for corrin very soon after fates got revealed. think they even had a support thread on smashboards very soon after. people were even making "vote for corrin in the smash ballot" pictures
so....all the people saying that no one wanted them are filthy revisionists.
I dunno if that was so much wanting Corrin as bandwagoners wanting to be right about Corrin being in the game

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
I dunno if that was so much wanting Corrin as bandwagoners wanting to be right about Corrin being in the game
The clear meaning of the ballot picture and support thread: "Hey guys let's vote for Corrin, he'd be a great character"

PsychoIncarnate: "Nah those people just wanted to get a prediction right so they could massage their ***** over it once Corrin got in"

Me:

StormC

Smash Hero

In cases like these, I'm glad I have multiple mains. The least favorite of my mains, Corrin, is a worthy sacrifice for Phoenix Wright to be playable.
I would have definitely thrown Cloud over the ledge for K. Rool. It would hurt but the sacrifice would be a necessary evil (frankly, before Everyone Is Here, I expected Cloud to be cut anyway).

Now though, I don't see myself cutting Cloud for Banjo-Kazooie, and definitely not cutting K. Rool.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I'm gonna make a bold statement. If Yoshi didn't make it in Smash in the first place, he'd be the most requested character by far. He'd make Ridley and K. Rool's support look small in comparison
"He's just a green epona"

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
A good quarter of the characters in Smash wouldn't even be here if fan demand was the be-all end all of a character making it in. It's not really interesting if the only characters who make it in are just the ones everyone asks for.
Good for you, but I'm not interested in a Smash game where characters get in purely on the basis of being economically convenient.
And every character has its fans, no matter how niche. Smash appeals to those crowds and gets more people interested in those characters.

And then there's characters that character nobody even KNOWS about. Whose """fans""" can't even point to a single reason they want other than "uhhh they look cool."

Not like those fans even matter because they would've gotten in regardless of what they or anyone else wanted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom