• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wish there was a spreadsheet to keep track of everyone's bet penalties. People doubling down on things makes this more fun to me.
This is how I gamble without money.
Well, I don't like betting, since it would backfire on me anyways.

That is true.
Yes. They're about 99% of general discussion, to the detriment of all other general discussion.
Not to mention that the alternative is going back to inane topics like the Pokémon general and Western licensed characters. So, leak talk is a necessary weasel, nowadays.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
I'm leaning towards fake, it just doesn't feel right to me. No, I'm not saying this because Gardevoir isn't in it (unless you believe hard enough).
If this was someone being spiteful, then why is this all so blurry? Wouldn't you want to make sure everything is as crisp as possible?
If they were trying to leak stuff anonymously, why was their name able to be easily found out? If this was legit, they've probably been found out already.
Could you imagine how big of a lawsuit this leaker could've gotten themselves into?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
So who's in the clouds, so to speak?
Looks a bit like Mewtwo with his full-white color. Could be Giygas Echo?

Spiteful Bench and Blurry Boi could be two different leakers of the same roster, possibly

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Everyone can make a believable leak.
That's all I have to say about this one.

What I'm more concerned with are the constant rumors of when the next Direct is happening.
People usually get on edge around this time, so I'm also not surprised that we get a lot of "Oh we getting a direct this week for sure! Two next week! 3 in one day!".

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
One thing that needs to be noted when analyzing this "blurry" leak--from what I read, these are pictures from a video being stapled together essentially. A video snapchat explains why it's blurry/small (it was never meant to be released) and why it's hard to make out details.

Of course, fake leaks thrive on being small and blurry to hide mistakes. Which is why we should remain cautious.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800

Just wanted to point out something I noticed, shamelessly stealing this picture from /v/:
  • The Zero/Gardevoir/KOS-MOS cloud has a totally different formation in the empty battlefield.
  • The area Ice Climbers are over is a lot darker in the filled battlefield.
  • The reds on the right hand side are completely different hues, and if I'm not mistaken, different shapes too.
Needless to say, I don't think the empty battlefield is real.
Not sure if this is being taken into account, but what this appears to be is that the top image is moved more rightwards. You can see bits of the blue ground on the top image, but larger quantities of it on the lower one, which coincidences with the movement of the cloud on that left side. On the bottom image, the white puffy cloud is behind Shadow, but on the upper image, it looks like it's shifted more to the left.

Doesn't definitively say anything except that the top Battlefield image is taken at a different position than the image of the battlefield on the mural.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
So who's in the clouds, so to speak?
Looks a bit like Mewtwo with his full-white color. Could be Giygas Echo?
No one.
It's a combination of Luigi's cloud trail, Rob's base and a gap in the clouds which just looks like something because humans are made to recognise patterns that aren't necessarily anything.

Shroob

Sup?
Everyone can make a believable leak.
That's all I have to say about this one.

What I'm more concerned with are the constant rumors of when the next Direct is happening.
People usually get on edge around this time, so I'm also not surprised that we get a lot of "Oh we getting a direct this week for sure! Two next week! 3 in one day!".
I actually trust Spawn Wave on this one, dude's leaked a lot of **** in the past, most recently the last Direct date.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Just wanted to point out something I noticed, shamelessly stealing this picture from /v/:
  • The Zero/Gardevoir/KOS-MOS cloud has a totally different formation in the empty battlefield.
  • The reds on the right hand side are completely different hues, and if I'm not mistaken, different shapes too.
Remember that these are physical materials, the room's lighting is what makes the different with most of your points, not to mention one is taken with a camera and the other was supposedly a video. Also, the filled Battlefield picture is wider than the empty one, the dark area just outside of where the ICs are isn't even on the empty picture.

Even if this was fake you can bet ya that the empty image would have been layered behind the filled one, there's no reason a faker would do double the amount of work he'd have to do.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Even I have a hard time making a solid call on this, but I think going the safe route and having some doubt is healthy here, dudes.

*ogles the date in my signature*
Then again, if this is real, Geno has been shown off in some way in October, there is no Pokemon newcomer, and something happened on the 24th of October.

So I'm torn as to what I want to believe haha

Well, I don't like betting, since it would backfire on me anyways.
Nobody HAS to do it, and everyone should go in with an expectation that it might backfire.
Otherwise you're just kinda being overly confident.
But yeah, no pressure.

Zef

Smash Ace
still, even with everyone talking about the painting and empty battlefield and whatever, that's not what is convincing most people. what's convincing most people is the linkedin eric fiasco and the grinch promotional material scattered around the background. you can't fake a linkedin like that, and that wayback machine rumour was proven false.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The only thing that makes this leak unbelievable for me (as I don't believe any of them honestly) is that that Banjo-Kazooie render looks far too similar to that one Smashified render of them, it looks almost indentical even, and that's just a obvious no-go. Isaac is also wayyyy too short.

I still call bs. Vergeben was also bs. Let's, for once, just NOT jump into these bs claims and fake leaks please? Can we do that? :rolleyes:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Remember that these are physical materials, the room's lighting is what makes the different with most of your points, not to mention one is taken with a camera and the other was supposedly a video. Also, the filled Battlefield picture is wider than the empty one, the dark area just outside of where the ICs are isn't even on the empty picture.

Even if this was fake you can bet ya that the empty image would have been layered behind the filled one, there's no reason a faker would do double the amount of work he'd have to do.
In fairness - the work to fake an empty mural using existing materials as a reference point probably wouldn't be as hard as the larger full-character pic mural, but it is something to think about.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
still, even with everyone talking about the painting and empty battlefield and whatever, that's not what is convincing most people. what's convincing most people is the linkedin eric fiasco and the grinch promotional material scattered around the background. you can't fake a linkedin like that, and that wayback machine rumour was proven false.
While the likelihood of this being real or fake is certainly in question, and I'm leaning on unlikely, I do believe it's likely this is a graphic designer working in relation to Bandai Namco and, fake or not, someone's getting fired.

D

Deleted member

"Godawful Vergeben leaks"

And even still, Vergeben only missed a single character if this leak is legit, Incineroar.
Yeah, and I missed NONE.

Bow down to your new leaks god: ManlySpirit. Check the archive. I posted this
Newcomers.jpg

as a prediction just before E3 2018.

Plus, Verge was also horribly off on the DBFZ leaks, which is why I never believed him to begin with. Among many things, he predicted Radditz and Zarbon would be base game, then he said DLC, and now he's saying they'll be season 2. He also failed to predict A.21 who was fairly obvious in hindsight, and highly speculated to have a "Majin form" well before she was ever properly revealed.

He's more wrong than he is right, and when he's right, it's on very safe picks most of the time. Again, I'm just saying to be skey of people claiming to have "insider info" 90% they're full of ****, or maybe they DID get something from a friend at sone point, but once they "got famous" it's likely that friend broke contact, and then they just milked their fame with speculation for attention. These people aren't even journalists, they're just randos on the internet who get famous because you people give them too much attention.

Dont forget the banner used in nintendo events before is on there too
That too. It's just too much. It's too hard to debunk at this point. I'm 100% sure this one's for real.

A lot of the stuff that verifies it too, is stuff that puts the worker and company at risk, not something a "leaker" would do if they were faking. Really, the fact that the stuff that verifies it, is stuff that was done due to oversight (when usually it's oversight and la k of attention to detail that debunks this stuff) proves it's real.

Should it transpire that this leak is real, my heart will grow three sizes that day.
Goddbless the Grinch leak. Sakurai saved Christmas. What an impossible roster, really.

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Seems like the top and bottom pictures have different exposures, which saturates the colours differently. You can especially see by comparing the right hand side purple part of the stage. And the difference in clouds is due to weegee smoke.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
While the likelihood of this being real or fake is certainly in question, and I'm leaning on unlikely, I do believe it's likely this is a graphic designer working in relation to Bandai Namco and, fake or not, someone's getting fired.
Universal/Illumination doesn't take too kindly to leaks.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Are people leaning towards real for this?

I want to believe so but i'm having a hard time thinking they'll add this many newcomers to the game. Especially in a day in age where these things are so easy to fake.

But man, Isaac and Banjo in this game would be great. Too bad there's no Felix echo tho.

Mach Rider as a retro is kinda disappointing for me tho I can't lie. I was hoping Andy would fill in the role of "retro/surprise" character.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
- The video game.
Quickest image-meme post I could find, ignore all the swords if you want to.

I think with a line-up like this, if anyone had doubts about Ultimate, they've vanished into the ether.

But with this, I think I might consider going on hiatus (once again)
Wait, who's sword is the one that's fifth from the left?

Between the Buster Sword and the Sword of Seals.

Shroob

Sup?
The only thing that makes this leak unbelievable for me (as I don't believe any of them honestly) is that that Banjo-Kazooie render looks far too similar to that one Smashified render of them, it looks almost indentical even, and that's just a obvious no-go. Isaac is also wayyyy too short.

I still call bs. Vergeben was also bs. Let's, for once, just NOT jump into these bs claims and fake leaks please? Can we do that? :rolleyes:
No.

We're free to discuss if we want.

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
Are people leaning towards real for this?

I want to believe so but i'm having a hard time thinking they'll add this many newcomers to the game. Especially in a day in age where these things are so easy to fake.

But man, Isaac and Banjo in this game would be great. Too bad there's no Felix echo tho.

Mach Rider as a retro is kinda disappointing for me tho I can't lie. I was hoping Andy would fill in the role of "retro/surprise" character.
I'm still on Team Hmmm, but I'm kinda leaning towards real. Just have a feeling...hmghnghgn....

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman
The background appears shifted so that the Ice Climbers are on the right hand side of the top image.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. The image has been mirrored? Did you mean to say left hand side?
Can't say anything for the different hues other than standard photo taking ****ery.
Seems like the top and bottom pictures have different exposures, which saturates the colours differently. You can especially see by comparing the right hand side purple part of the stage. And the difference in clouds is due to weegee smoke.
But weren't they taken in the same room? On the right hand side, you can see that what's a rich red has become basically white.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Crap now even I'm getting desperate for more information to the point that I wanted to believe that leak and I'm usually very skeptical.

Once again no leak is true until proven otherwise, I really hope a direct is coming soon.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm still on Team Hmmm, but I'm kinda leaning towards real. Just have a feeling...hmghnghgn....
Yeah a lot of red flags are going off in my mind with this. With everything we've been hearing, this sounds way too good to be true.

D

Deleted member

I'm not seeing all this supposed evidence people are talking about that makes it even more legit. It's no different from any other good image leak, blurry and small, so it's hard to make out the details.
I'll be on #TeamFake until someone can show me some level of detail similar to the Ken leak.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
As far as this goes, I think the big test is -

"Is a person actually dumb enough to fake a leak at risk of getting fired?"

People are dumb enough to do that and leak real info, as has happened multiple times, but this really hinges on if a random French guy is willing to risk his job and possibly his career on this. We're focused on the Ult thing, but faking two prints including Grinch promotional material for the purposes of attempting to convince people would be a double whammy since he's "Fake leaking" information from multiple companies. I don't see how he wouldn't lose his job.

Last edited:

Kadji100

Smash Cadet
With every Info collected so far I am on team "This is legit" - and I am 100% sure that this is the new "ESRB"-Leak.

Regarding "no new pokemon!":
Look at it from this point: We got Pichu and PKMN Trainer (Squrtle and Ivysaur) back.
The next PKMN Game is Lets Go which is a throwback to Gen 1.

It would make much more sense to throw in a Gen 8 PKMN near the release of the next Core Game (Planned for 2019).
From a marketing standpoint it makes much more sense to promote the new game near its release instead of promoting Gen 7 which is "done" at this point.

Mach Rider was teased by Sakurai himself, the other characters are highly requested and very plausible additions to the base rooster.

Regarding "but Banjo! They are owned by Microsoft now!":
Yes, but is this realy a problem? Microsoft and Nintendo have been very friendly to each other ever since the release of the switch.
Microsoft does not see Nintendo as a "enemy" because the userbase between Xbox One and Switch has not as much overlap as lets say PS4 to Xbox One.
Heck, they even did some Minecraft promotion together. Its a Win-Win situation for both companys.
Nintendo: Fans will be happy, rising sales of the game even more.
Microsoft: Will most likely get a cut from every sale from the Game.

Regarding "the leaker is dumb and will get fired": I think he did not expect that whoever recieved his Snapchat Video to be so dumb and take pictures of it and leak it to the internet. He thought that his Video would stay private, and with Snapchat deleting Videos he thought he would be "safe".
Well, time to look for a new job i guess :/ Sucks for him for sure, but he should have known the risks...

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, and I missed NONE.

Bow down to your new leaks god: ManlySpirit. Check the archive. I posted this
View attachment 171467

as a prediction just before E3 2018.

Plus, Verge was also horribly off on the DBFZ leaks, which is why I never believed him to begin with. Among many things, he predicted Radditz and Zarbon would be base game, then he said DLC, and now he's saying they'll be season 2. He also failed to predict A.21 who was fairly obvious in hindsight, and highly speculated to have a "Majin form" well before she was ever properly revealed.

He's more wrong than he is right, and when he's right, it's on very safe picks most of the time. Again, I'm just saying to be skey of people claiming to have "insider info" 90% they're full of ****, or maybe they DID get something from a friend at sone point, but once they "got famous" it's likely that friend broke contact, and then they just milked their fame with speculation for attention. These people aren't even journalists, they're just randos on the internet who get famous because you people give them too much attention.

That too. It's just too much. It's too hard to debunk at this point. I'm 100% sure this one's for real.

A lot of the stuff that verifies it too, is stuff that puts the worker and company at risk, not something a "leaker" would do if they were faking. Really, the fact that the stuff that verifies it, is stuff that was done due to oversight (when usually it's oversight and la k of attention to detail that debunks this stuff) proves it's real.

Goddbless the Grinch leak. Sakurai saved Christmas. What an impossible roster, really.
You still didn't explain how it's 'horrid'. Because that's still every character he said minus Incineroar. Even if he's wrong, he ended up being 90% right in the end like Gematsu was so... is it really a 'victory' at all?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No.

We're free to discuss if we want.
Yeah sure, but the two characters I'd be estatic about making it in; Banjo and Isaac, have some serious design flaws on that one pic. So I won't believe it.

I mean, look, it's exactly this render.

For once, this is a "leak" I would like to believe, but I just cannot. Isaac is also too short.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
If this is real, I feel pretty bad about Sakurai.

Here's a little bit of something to take the edge off the conversation a little bit.
I recently went out and put money down on adopting a baby cockatiel. It'll stay with the people hand raising it until it's big enough to come home with me.

I've decided to name it Hiro.
A few reasons.
I'm going through a ton of mental distress recently, and have been diagnosed with a few things at therapy. The little bird is my Hero (...er, Hiro)! It'll keep me company as I live alone.

Another, more relevant reason, is that I wanted to name it partially after Masahiro Sakurai, the man himself. Smash, although I don't play it 100% of the time like many people might, is a huuuuuge part of my life and the dude is an inspiration to me.

A third reason is that I'm studying Japanese and I'm a bit of a nerd.

You all are a big part of what keeps me going too!
This thread's been a good distraction for many things, and I appreciate most of you. Even the ones who blow a gasket every time something they don't like is posted.

Thanks, everyone.

Edink

Smash Cadet
Idk if it's already mentioned but someone in 4chan said that the Banjo render looks to similar to their art from Grunty's Revenge. Opinions?

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
If this is real, I feel pretty bad about Sakurai.

Here's a little bit of something to take the edge off the conversation a little bit.
I recently went out and put money down on adopting a baby cockatiel. It'll stay with the people hand raising it until it's big enough to come home with me.

I've decided to name it Hiro.
A few reasons.
I'm going through a ton of mental distress recently, and have been diagnosed with a few things at therapy. The little bird is my Hero (...er, Hiro)! It'll keep me company as I live alone.

Another, more relevant reason, is that I wanted to name it partially after Masahiro Sakurai, the man himself. Smash, although I don't play it 100% of the time like many people might, is a huuuuuge part of my life and the dude is an inspiration to me.

A third reason is that I'm studying Japanese and I'm a bit of a nerd.

You all are a big part of what keeps me going too!
This thread's been a good distraction for many things, and I appreciate most of you. Even the ones who blow a gasket every time something they don't like is posted.

Thanks, everyone.
I used to have cockatiels as a kid. Aboo and Buddy

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Another red flag was the fact that the Custom Robo trademark was cancelled putting Ray in doubt. I mean Ray could have been cut before that but it's still suspicious.

I'm having a hard time actually 100% believing this but I guess the truth will come out in the near future.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. The image has been mirrored? Did you mean to say left hand side?

But weren't they taken in the same room? On the right hand side, you can see that what's a rich red has become basically white.
You know how the banner loops on the website. It's like one continuous piece. If you compare the clouds just left of the Ice Climbers with the right side of the empty image, you can see how the looping works. Can even look at the ground just left of the Ice Climbers and the right side of the empty image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom