• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Untouch

Smash Master
So hum... The editor of VG247 and Owner of RPGSite, so, a game journalist- think that the leak is fake because of what he thinks with some source at Nintendo, and that it doesn't Match-up with what he knows

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Yes but it has the character I want so this guy is a poo-poo.

D

Deleted member

BUCKLE THE **** UP, BUCKOS.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
So hum... The editor of VG247 and Owner of RPGSite, so, a game journalist- think that the leak is fake because of what he thinks with some source at Nintendo, and that it doesn't Match-up with what he knows

Nothing to see here, Vergeben also has "sources" and theyd be wrong simply due to Incineroar.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
I'd agree, but this goes WAY BEYOND the artistic portion of the leak. Yes, though unrealistic, someone can make a new background, move all the characters, add art that was hidden or blocked by other characters due to moving them, and make 7 completely new characters. This alone solidifies the leak for me but I'll tell you the most important thing:

What they can't fake is their personal information. The leaker ****ed up and we found out his name. The leaker was confirmed to work for a company that produces printouts for adverts and events. Said French company has ties to both Universal (Grinch) and Bamco (Smash), confirmed by his and their linkedins, all of which are not new. Not only that, the leaked picture is printed on a fold-out mini poster/hanger/banner with instructions on how to set it up.

In addition to all of this, if this is fake, the leaker just outed a former employer for producing fake leaks. Hurting their reputation will only get him sued, which he likely will if it's real already.

I'm going with 99% real now, leaving a percentage for only the miraculous caveat that disproves this leak.
Yeah, I was mostly saying it in an ironic fashion. XD
Though I hear ya, I think this has so much going for it that it'll be pretty crazy if it's somehow fake.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Honestly I'll be happy if Incineroar isn't added. He's a generic wrestler cat which the Pokemon developers for some reason thought was a better design as the final evolution then a saber-toothed cat which would had been wicked for a Smash game.

Yes I'm salty about that.

Last edited:

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
So all in all. I lean towards real.

Yes, everyone is on the mural. It's been checked. And none of the new character renders have been sourced anywhere. No, Verge and [THE BOX] do not have to be right.

Between the leaker being traced back to his position as a graphic designer working with Bandai Namco, the armband and ceiling ring display, the small but VERY good-looking empty panorama, and the overwhelming Grinch material, I'd be being dishonest with myself if I didn't admit I believe it.

IF this turns out to be fake, I'm not even mad, this is damn impressive.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Think about it folks; the two non-echo smaller reveals are characters who were scrapped from earlier games - Mach Rider for Melee, and the Chorus Men from Smash 4. The other three are fan-favorites who obviously would have done well on the ballot due to their massive fanbases in the Smash fanbase - Isaac, Geno, and Banjo. The two echoes are from huge franchises, Street Fighter and Sonic the Hedgehog.

It's very likely that Minecraft content could show up in the game if Microsoft is on board (say, if Banjo was a fighter), and with all that, it's likely that either A. Vergeben got Gematsu'd in that Incineroar was planned but was lower priority or B. Incineroar would have been one of the last characters whose rights would have been negotiated (as his design and game weren't really a thing to our knowledge until after the roster would've been chosen and thus he would've only been able to get in as a placeholder - meaning he could be reserved as either a free post-launch update or as paid DLC after the game goes gold.

It's completely possible that both Verg and this leak are right - and if that's the case, the roster would be sitting at a clean 82 barring DLC.

It's also completely possible that Geno could come without another Mario stage - leaving one slot on the Stage Selection Screen for a second page.

What a timeline we (potentially) live in.

- INKLING :ultinkling:
- DAISY :ultdaisy:
- RIDLEY :ultridley:
- SIMON BELMONT :ultsimon:
- RICHTER BELMONT :ultrichter:
- CHROM :ultchrom:
- DARK SAMUS :ultdarksamus:
- KING K. ROOL :ultkrool:
- ISABELLE :ultisabelle:
- SHADOW
- BANJO & KAZOOIE
- ISAAC
- KEN MASTERS
- GENO
- CHORUS MEN
- MACH RIDER

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
You know, waking up and seeing this chaos does have me worried...
Reading the bit of what is going on and I still don't believe all of that, especially since that's a super disappointing roster in my eyes, each of those choices (again, it's just my opinion). Maybe it's me being petty, or me not having any connections to most of those characters (or interest in em), or both.

However, I still won't believe any of this nonsense unless I see absolute gameplay footage, which I've actually been trying to avoid since I've been spoiled during the s4 times, from Shulk to Bowser Jr, to Ryu, even Roy and Lucas I think, a few of em were on a stream long ago, I think. I am willing to patiently until Nintendo themselves show what they have to show. I understand it's hard to wait after we had to for like a month, but if it means greater satisfaction or disappointment in the end, I'll be prepared for that.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If Incineroar is DLC, then that's worst case scenario for most Pokefans (other than Incineroar fans, obviously) -
  • It's entirely possible we'll only get one Pokemon DLC, which would mean Incineroar would be the only Pokemon we'd be getting in the foreseeable future.
  • If we do have two Pokemon as DLC, then the second one would likely be withheld as a Gen 8 advertisement. Which means still no real fan favourites.
  • If we somehow get three, then the chances are the third would be an echo rather than a fully fledged newcomer. There also wouldn't be much wriggle room - off the top of my head, the only characters I think we could really hope for are Raichu (Pikachu), Spheal (Jigglypuff), and maybe Zoroark (Lucario).
About your second point, I don't think Pokémon is likely at all to get a fan favorite from a previous generation through DLC regardless, marketability is the main driving force behind why characters from the franchise are included, so they're not just going to randomly pull out Blaziken or something like that, it has to be someone that's relevant to Game Freak's interests. Only chance previous generation Pokémon have are through remakes, but with Gen 4 being next in line and Lucario already being in it's an irrelevant point.

Fire Emblem is in the same boat, although it's a bit more loose as the characters are more clearly defined, so they can be kept relevant better through spinoffs like Warriors and Heroes.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
The only one that they've broken is the one character per third party franchise rule.
I mean...you're wrong

"RELEVANT CHARACTERS ONLY" was a fan-rule that was broken
"DLC third parties are one game only" was a fan-rule that was broken
As you said, "one character per third party franchise" was a fan-rule that was broken
We also have the "the OBLIGATORY POKEMON REP will be removed next game" fan-rule that is broken like every game (see Lucario and Greninja)
RIDLEY'S EXISTENCE is a fan rule being broken in some way.

There's four for you. I don't know why "We must have a base roster Pokemon newcomer" can't be broken too.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

This is very notable. I was curious what insiders would think about this. It should be noted that it isn't completely a dealbreaker for him--he hopes it's true, which means even with his sources he's uncertain. Perhaps a character he knows is in some form isn't on the leak, leading him to believe it could be fake--but they could be DLC (e.g., Incineroar). Not saying this is true, or even likely, but would explain his certainty and hesitance, which seem to conflict.

D

Deleted member

Okay fam when Omni remakes the Toaster gloves from ARMS call me.
The Springman leak didn't even bother to know how lighting rendering actually works in Switch games and had one of the most choppy animations anyone has ever seen, and everyone called it fake as soon as it popped up. Please don't act like it was ever any good, you give these Artsy Omni wannabes too much credit.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

It's the VGA reveal right? I can feel it.

Nothing to see here, Vergeben also has "sources" and theyd be wrong simply due to Incineroar.
That guy isn't a nobody Thought. It's Someone I can safely believe

Raspberry

Smash Journeyman
I'm a bit scared though. From the looks of it, there will be blood no matter if the leak is proven real or fake (and especially if it is proven fake). These 40 days are going to be crazy as ****.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Okay what does he know?
Calling it now, Sora from Kingdom Hearts. He PROFUSELY guesses Sora every time Smash rumors or leaks pop up. With his sources saying a TGA reveal, we might actually get Sora.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If this leak is real I guess Sakurai was trying to throw us off when he said "Don't expect as many newcomers" unless maybe the echos didn't count.

wagnerelli12

Smash Rookie
You lurked for ten years and never made an account? That's like renting Shrek every weekend for ten years but never buying the DVD.
Haahahahahah. I just didn't think I had anything to say. But hey, my puppet boy finally getting a credible leak after 10 years of waiting seemed worth coming in for.

I've literally never been this nervous for a leak to be real or not.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
From what I've gathered, the original leak was in the form of a video, and what we see are the screencaps of said video which explains the abysmal quality.

And that's either a wristband or a POS display sign. Either way, that's physical media that you'd have to print out to a unique specification that most home printers can't do.
It's most definitely promotional art, not a wristband. I can say that with certainty. What I can't say with certainty is that there's a video unless I'm shown it.

But we can't automatically assume that because this person has access to some things (the Grinch promo art, a Smash storefront overhead promo) that the same person has access to all things. Thats dangerous.

For example, to print the overhead art would cost about $8 at Office Depot. I know this because I make such things for my small business. I also Photoshop for a living, and making a convincing-when-blurred banner with added details like Greninja's tongue and rearranging already placed characters isn't nearly as difficult as people here believe. Give me a day with nothing better to do and motivation, and I could make this.

It's still fully possible this leak is true. But it's also not proven at all. Everyone can have easy access to a cracked version of Photoshop and a nearby Kinkos.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Calling it now, Sora from Kingdom Hearts. He PROFUSELY guessed Sora every time Smash rumors or leaks pop up. With his sources saying a TGA reveal, we might actually get Sora.
Don't. Do. This. To. Me.

Don't make me believe that we might get Sora AND Geno AND Cloud Together in a game.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Haahahahahah. I just didn't think I had anything to say. But hey, my puppet boy finally getting a credible leak after 10 years of waiting seemed worth coming in for.

I've literally never been this nervous for a leak to be real or not.
There was sniffles actually a really credible Geno leak.

His...his name was Sassy Geno.

...l-look him up some time.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Think about it folks; the two non-echo smaller reveals are characters who were scrapped from earlier games - Mach Rider for Melee, and the Chorus Men from Smash 4. The other three are fan-favorites who obviously would have done well on the ballot due to their massive fanbases in the Smash fanbase - Isaac, Geno, and Banjo. The two echoes are from huge franchises, Street Fighter and Sonic the Hedgehog.

It's very likely that Minecraft content could show up in the game if Microsoft is on board (say, if Banjo was a fighter), and with all that, it's likely that either A. Vergeben got Gematsu'd in that Incineroar was planned but was lower priority or B. Incineroar would have been one of the last characters whose rights would have been negotiated (as his design and game weren't really a thing to our knowledge until after the roster would've been chosen and thus he would've only been able to get in as a placeholder - meaning he could be reserved as either a free post-launch update or as paid DLC after the game goes gold.

It's completely possible that both Verg and this leak are right - and if that's the case, the roster would be sitting at a clean 82 barring DLC.

It's also completely possible that Geno could come without another Mario stage - leaving one slot on the Stage Selection Screen for a second page.

What a timeline we (potentially) live in.

- INKLING :ultinkling:
- DAISY :ultdaisy:
- RIDLEY :ultridley:
- SIMON BELMONT :ultsimon:
- RICHTER BELMONT :ultrichter:
- CHROM :ultchrom:
- DARK SAMUS :ultdarksamus:
- KING K. ROOL :ultkrool:
- ISABELLE :ultisabelle:
- SHADOW
- BANJO & KAZOOIE
- ISAAC
- KEN MASTERS
- GENO
- CHORUS MEN
- MACH RIDER
IT'S SO MANY. This will be incredible if true.

Untouch

Smash Master
Wait, is spawnwave confirming the leak though?
He seems confident that, if real, a character is going to be revealed after this so this may not be a final thing.
Which actually REALLY makes sense with what LeakyPandy has been saying, IF this is for a Nintendo story display then it'd be up before the VGAs, so it wouldn't have whatever character would be revealed then.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
All of these characters plus Sora and Incineroar as DLC

Or maybe some of these characters as DLC idfk. No one has bothered to answer my question about whether or not some of these 7 could be DLC.

THIS IS ACTUALLY POSSIBLE

BOTH VERGE AND THE LEAK CAN BE TRUE

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman

>We get a big Smash direct within the next few weeks showing Mach Rider, Isaac, Geno, Ken, Shadow, Banjo & Kazooie, and Chorus Kids
>"We have two more characters left, so stay tuned!"
>Minecraft Steve confirmed by Microsoft
>A Pokemon rep confirmed in a Pokemon direct before the end of November

Now that'd be hype. And even more unlikely than this being true at all

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So if this leak is fake, someone really wants a French guy who's working on The Grinch to suffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom