• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
That's what I h

And both are Knights and both wear blue. What new did we get there? Being blonde!
son, Katalina has a blue cape, and that's it. she's more silver than she is blue.

Also Lucina isn't a knight.

Also Katalina isn't blonde.

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Well to be fair, they're referring to characters not being more black, barring out any alts and non human characters.

Someone pointed out that we have him, only for the user to get banned.
Getting banned for making a lighthearted joke, why am I not surprised.

Representation of skin color or sex is pretty shallow for Smash Bros. It's not about the diversity, it's about video games. What the color of their skin or whats in their pants has no relation to the quality of the game or the intent of the developer. If the sole reason is not for the idea of making them a character, and instead finding filler to meet some specific quota, isn't that worse?
This, my good sir, is the right answer.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
A great number of the characters in this game aren't even human and in no way are meant to represent any of us. Those kind of complaints tend to be silly but it's even sillier here.

Shroob

Sup?
There's a pretty obvious reason as to why Granblue would get in over Dragalia, despite Dragalia having the Nintendo tie.

Look at ARMs and Xenoblade 2. Too ****ing new.

Likewise, Granblue is THE Cygames game, it's their flagship franchise. That'd be like if Sonic wasn't in Smash, you had Sega lined up for DLC, and then got Space Channel 5 or something as DLC instead.

D

Deleted member

Super Mario Maker is a bigger and more balanced crossover than Smash Bros.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
There's a pretty obvious reason as to why Granblue would get in over Dragalia, despite Dragalia having the Nintendo tie.

Look at ARMs and Xenoblade 2. Too ****ing new.

Likewise, Granblue is THE Cygames game, it's their flagship franchise. That'd be like if Sonic wasn't in Smash, you had Sega lined up for DLC, and then got Space Channel 5 or something as DLC instead.
People are forgetting DL is only a few weeks old lol

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Representation of skin color or sex is pretty shallow for Smash Bros. It's not about the diversity, it's about video games. What the color of their skin or whats in their pants has no relation to the quality of the game or the intent of the developer. If the sole reason is not for the idea of making them a character, and instead finding filler to meet some specific quota, isn't that worse?

That's why I disagree up front for the support of a character solely because of those reasons.
Support Krystal because she's a girl? No. :sick:
Support Krystal because she's got unique capabilities from a relatively B-Tier series? Yes. :cool:
Yeah, you do have a point, but to be fair, there are still some sexual controversary. But, it's not just about Smash anymore, it's about other games.

Thanks for your reply, though!

I actually don't mind any representation, I just don't like when peoples criticize or sound racist about a character.

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
You don't see ME arguing for more Yoshi representation...

.....okay I do. Feverishly and passionately even. But NOT because of a quota!!! :yoshi:
The difference here is lack of Yoshi representation is actually a crime. A crime punishable by relentless egg tossing!

Plus Yoshis come in all colors and are genderless (I think?)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The difference here is lack of Yoshi representation is actually a crime. A crime punishable by relentless egg tossing!

Plus Yoshis come in all colors and are genderless (I think?)
Pretty sure they're dudes, dude. Birdo exists for a reason, I think.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Rest of the post is awesome but: Why competitive crowd has a problem with Ken, aside from competitive crowd being competitive crowd?
When we saw Ryu at the E3 demo, people saw him and realized he, a rather strong character already, is going to be improved quite a bit, meaning Ryu will earn himself a highly respectable spot on the tier list when it comes out
Ken is that but even better

D

Deleted member

Super Mario Maker has more characters and third party companies involved.

There isn’t a tier list to worry about either.

Super Mario Maker is a better crossover than Smash if we only take those points in consideration.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Super Mario Maker has more characters and third party companies involved.

There isn’t a tier list to worry about either.

Super Mario Maker is a better crossover than Smash if we only take those points in consideration.
The two really aren't comparable though.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Smash is a fighting game, of course.

But there isn’t any other game that has Hello Kitty, the Famitsu mascot, a Mercedes Benz and even Shaun the Sheep playable.
Because Mario Maker characters approximately take five minutes to make.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
JD clearly didn't thought through his claims for more than 5 seconds, but I guarantee you we are going to have another pre patch Diddy/Bayonetta on launch. The devs nerfed Bowser Jr, a character with a dead meta since 2015.

D

Deleted member

Because Mario Maker characters approximately take five minutes to make.
True.

The amiibo costumes are what makes me interested on a Switch port.
Maybe it could add more, and even Shovel Knight.

The game isn’t as complex as Smash, but it is still fun to play.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Y'know, on the subject of "maker," I'm probably the only one that'll miss stage builder. It was a lot of fun for my friends and I, for both the right and wrong reasons. :4wario2:

D

Deleted member

User was warned for this post(double posting; please edit your messages instead)
JD clearly didn't thought through his claims for more than 5 seconds, but I guarantee you we are going to have another pre patch Diddy/Bayonetta on launch. The devs nerfed Bowser Jr, a character with a dead meta since 2015.
Poor Bowser Jr.

Are there more nerfs discovered this week?

Y'know, on the subject of "maker," I'm probably the only one that'll miss stage builder. It was a lot of fun for my friends and I, for both the right and wrong reasons. :4wario2:
The Stage Builder was nice in 4, but could have been expanded more.
I will miss it in Ultimate.

I had a lot of stages made by an user called RetroStu. He did some good ones, even Spiral Mountain.

D

Deleted member

That's why I disagree up front for the support of a character solely because of those reasons.
Support Krystal because she's a girl? No. :sick:
Support Krystal because she's got unique capabilities from a relatively B-Tier series? Yes. :cool:
Yeah, I see people mentioning Twintelle and ermmmm.... As the one and only arms rep? I don't see it.

But yeah, other than the nonhuman characters. Another problem is that most of the human characters are either from pretty old established franchises or are from JRPGs.

Even aside from that though, definitely something that Nintendo and the gaming industry as a whole need to work on first.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I see people mentioning Twintelle and ermmmm.... As the one and only arms rep? I don't see it.

But yeah, other than the nonhuman characters. Another problem is that most of the human characters are either from pretty old established franchises or are from JRPGs.

Even aside from that though, definitely something that Nintendo and the gaming industry as a whole need to work on first.
I agree too.

Characters are defined by their attitude and actions, not sex or skin.

Iridium

Smash Hero
A nice edgy Wolf alt here, if you haven't seen it yet.

Looks pretty good.

D

Deleted member

I’m not used to the chat going slow.
I need to improve on this side to prevent more double posts happening.

It is clear that the specculation has decreased.

That or i am dealing with a time zone thing.

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020

Nah, it's basically slowed ever since the direct showcased the final roster. Most people are just speculating DLC, and that's not interesting enough for a lot of people. Me included.

osby

Smash Obsessed

It's always slow at this hour of the day + most people were mainly interested in character speculation and now we know all of them

You can't have 5 pages in two minutes always.

D

Deleted member

It's always slow at this hour of the day + most people were mainly interested in character speculation and now we know all of them

You can't have 5 pages in two minutes always.
True.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That would be cool to check.
I want to see all the skins and the Metroid songs.
Dude if that was me, all I'd do is just do Fox battles on Final Destination until the game actually comes out.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm looking at this Japanese event and even though we've seen it before, wow, Isaac's AT looks really cool.

Also :ulttoonlink:'s new victory screen is pretty neat:
1541244224661.png

Iridium

Smash Hero
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Here's all of Falco's alts, for those who want to see.

D

Deleted member

Btw, i usually hear music on my 3DS using Youtube on the internet browser and putting the music at a speed of x1,10 to x1,12 (by using the small pad above the buttoms).

The Ultimate theme sounds dope to me this way.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Most of the top-tiers got nerfed quite a bit, Bayo and Diddy included. I know Diddy's recovery got a huge nerf now that Rocketbarrel Boost and Monkey Flip don't go nearly as far, so Diddy isn't automatically guaranteed to make it back to the stage anymore.

Even if they're still top-tier characters, I don't think they'll be anywhere near as OP as before. We'll see if it stays that way, but the changes have been generally fair so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom