• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3.

Literally by Team Ninja.

Literally just announced.

We know barely anyone who is playable.

One person literally losing their minds because the Fantastic Four weren't immediately shown.

D

Deleted member

You keep saying that. Why? I think it looks okay.
Because the title is a lie.
If it was really an Ultimate Alliance, you would be able to play as the Fantastic Four.

Besides that, i liked the reveals: CTR looks neat, Joker in Smash is dope and i want to try MK 11.
Just **** Ultimate Alliance 3

D

Deleted member

Ugh, there are so many people I want to respond to and I wanted to make something but I got sidetracked @_@;;

For those of you who spoke to me not too long ago regarding a possible ATLUS rep, hey! Congratulations btw! Not a meaty enough response though. There will be more of that to come later (in the afternoon).

I'll get to it though... eventually...

But onto more important matters... [clears throat]

@faygoshill As a man of my word, I will change my profile picture to Morag with full support of her. The profile picture in question may be pushing the boundaries as stated in the original post, so long as it's SFW.

View attachment 182066
I'm finna find something just gimme an hour to like actually wake up and let the hype wash over me because ****ING JOKER IS IN SMASH

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I don't know what they're quoting, but I 100%, fully, completely, absolutely promise you with no doubt that Ryu is way way way more well known than Cloud.

I'm not saying Cloud isn't known, but Ryu is Ryu. He's the mascot of the entire fighting game genre and is referenced in pop culture a ton.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
If it was really an Ultimate Alliance, you would be able to play as the Fantastic Four.

Besides that, i liked the reveals: CTR looks neat, Joker in Smash is dope and i want to try MK 11.
Go look at a dictionary. "Ultimate" means "final", not "it includes Fantastic Four". There is no lie.

Plus, they might be in, we don't know the full roster.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
DevaAshera DevaAshera

Gonna keep it real with you here, fam. Street Fighter is a pretty popular gaming franchise (ffs it jumpstarted fighting games as a genre and invented the combo) and Ryu has kind of always been the face of it. There aren't many people that don't know who, what, and where Ryu came from. Cloud cannot make that same claim to fame, only that he's been a face of modern JRPGs like Final Fantasy.

Also, what are you guys doing speculating? Play Ultimate. It's out now.

Smooth Criminal
Oh, I know, I'm still a huge Street Fighter fan..I'm just saying that just because Ryu and Street Fighter had a bigger impact on a Genre doesn't mean that Ryu is a bigger name character then Cloud is. Cloud is more well-known and popular then Ryu is..I'd wager that Chun-Li is more popular and known then Ryu is to be honest since she has a more distinct design then Ryu's more generic one.

I by no means mean that Ryu is not a great character, he's just not more hype and 'big' then Cloud is in regards to Super Smash Bros. reveals.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
In the aftermath of Joker being confirmed, I've asked my friend with a PS4 and a copy of P5 to finally help me in getting into the series, or at the very least the game. It's been sort of a low priority thing for me, seeing as I certainly wasn't going to go out of my way to do it before, but Smash changes my mind. The magic of Smash, heh.

Plus things are boding well for a Switch version of the game thanks to MysticDistance on Twitter. Hopefully that's true,

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Oh, I know, I'm still a huge Street Fighter fan..I'm just saying that just because Ryu and Street Fighter had a bigger impact on a Genre doesn't mean that Ryu is a bigger name character then Cloud is. Cloud is more well-known and popular then Ryu is..I'd wager that Chun-Li is more popular and known then Ryu is to be honest since she has a more distinct design then Ryu's more generic one.

I by no means mean that Ryu is not a great character, he's just not more hype and 'big' then Cloud is in regards to Super Smash Bros. reveals.
There's a difference between popular and recognizable

No one's going to tell me Cloud is more recognizable than Ryu with a straight face

SFII impact in the early 90s was bigger than FFVII impact on that one old console from the late 90s

I mean come on

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You guys I'm just staring at my Switch with the game preloaded... but I have to leave at 7:00 and want to give this game the respect it deserves amd not a 10 minute quickie...

hqdefault (1).jpg

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

Did they say that the Fantastic Four weren't going to be in the game or is this just an assumption based on the first trailer shown of the game and recent trends of excluding them?
Because I doubt that the Fantastic Four (and the X-Men) will be left out of Marvel related things going forward since Disney bought 20th Century Fox, meaning they once again own the rights to both franchises.

Granted, the only Fantastic Four related things I care about are DOCTOR DOOM and the Thing...I can't stand Reed Richards, he's a self-important, ego-centric..uh..expletive..

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Well, that was surprising. I think we need an option on the poll here between "OMG hypest thing I'm literally having a heart attack!" and "Ruined forever, cancelling preorder!"

Confession time: Who tf is Joker? I don't know Persona in the slightest.

I didn't buy the fighter pass yet, so I'll have to wait to get some gameplay and etc. before I decide if I need this or not. The completionist inside me will want to do it, but I have no clue about this dude or the series.

Still, MUA3?! **** YES!!! I loved the first two MUA games, so this'll be great. It'd be awesome if Winter Soldier was in, but I'm seeing that Black Widow's in the trailers so it's great to have her seemingly playable this round.

Oh man, after work today, I've got a bunch of Smash with my name on it. Not too much - I have to work tomorow too - but this weekend? K.ROOL AND RIDLEY HYPE! And Squirtle! (but wtf is with the Trainer's voice? At least they fixed Fox...)

D

Deleted member

Well, that was surprising. I think we need an option on the poll here between "OMG hypest thing I'm literally having a heart attack!" and "Ruined forever, cancelling preorder!"

Confession time: Who tf is Joker? I don't know Persona in the slightest.

I didn't buy the fighter pass yet, so I'll have to wait to get some gameplay and etc. before I decide if I need this or not. The completionist inside me will want to do it, but I have no clue about this dude or the series.

Still, MUA3?! **** YES!!! I loved the first two MUA games, so this'll be great. It'd be awesome if Winter Soldier was in, but I'm seeing that Black Widow's in the trailers so it's great to have her seemingly playable this round.

Oh man, after work today, I've got a bunch of Smash with my name on it. Not too much - I have to work tomorow too - but this weekend? K.ROOL AND RIDLEY HYPE! And Squirtle! (but wtf is with the Trainer's voice? At least they fixed Fox...)
Play Persona 5, it is a dope game.

And i will boycott Ultimate Alliance 3 until they add the Fantastic Four.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
Go look at a dictionary. "Ultimate" means "final", not "it includes Fantastic Four". There is no lie.

Plus, they might be in, we don't know the full roster.
If ever in the future we get another Super Smash Bros with all the characters they have few terms they can choose:
  • Absolute
  • Complete
  • Climax
  • Universal
  • Flawless
  • Definitive
  • Terminal
  • Final

Awwwww man I'm still bummed at no Metroid Prime 4 news during TGA :ohwell:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Well, this post of mine aged well lol
A quick question while we're on the topic of Xander Mobus... If the protagonist from Persona 5 got in as a playable Smash character, would that mean we'd basically be playing as the announcer?
Also, I bet osby osby 's jumping for joy right now

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So did any leakers actually get BTFO? Iirc the only characters leaked by someone CREDIBLE was the SE rep and some sorta Minecraft content

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Play Persona 5, it is a dope game.

And i will boycott Ultimate Alliance 3 until they add the Fantastic Four.
Dude, can you stop? You don’t even know if they aren’t in yet.

So did any leakers actually get BTFO? Iirc the only characters leaked by someone CREDIBLE was the SE rep and some sorta Minecraft content
Verg and SpawnWave IIRC. Anyone’s fair game at this point.

segillav

Smash Apprentice
Just got the game! Took a little longer than I expected but I guess that's what you get when you're in the 'walking into the store & buy the game without pre-ordering' gang.

D

Deleted member

Back on Black Friday, I saw Persona 5 where I bought Dark Souls 3 and I think it was relatively cheap for a non-used game but I went "nah, I already got DS3 and I won't have the time to play a JRPG on my brother's PS4"
I've been wanting to get into Persona but all I really have access to is Persona Q which I'll let live for now as it's the game that allowed Joker to get in.

I'm still gonna wait for Joker to be released to see if I'll buy the Fighter Pass. By then, I suspect we'll see another character revealed so I'll see if it's worth it.
DevaAshera DevaAshera

Gonna keep it real with you here, fam. Street Fighter is a pretty popular gaming franchise (ffs it jumpstarted fighting games as a genre and invented the combo) and Ryu has kind of always been the face of it. There aren't many people that don't know who, what, and where Ryu came from. Cloud cannot make that same claim to fame, only that he's been a face of modern JRPGs like Final Fantasy.

Also, what are you guys doing speculating? Play Ultimate. It's out now.

Smooth Criminal
Some of us can't get it on release day because we live in third world countries, you know?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I love how the "They're not looking at a characters past 2014" claim was killed with the first character. Here's to hoping we get a few more modern additions.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
So, Joker, and rumors about a Square character, and maybe Steve.
So my fear that the DLC characters are all third party may become real.

I was so happy when Sakurai said that Nintendo was in charge of selecting the characters because I thought that we finally were getting some Nintendo characters. Instead... we're getting more third parties.

I'm sorry but I don't like this direction, this game is really starting to feel like Playstation All Stars Battle Royale to me (not because of Playstation character in specific, but because it's beoming the celebration of many third party franchises which I absolutely don't care about).

I'm happy for the fans, and for those people who like the Persona games, I know it has a lot of fans... and it makes sense from a marketing point of view, a character from a popular series with many fans.
But it's starting to not feel like Smash Bros anymore.

So far, the only newcomers I like are Inkling and Incineroar, and even Incineroar has a couple of moves I don't like, such as summoning the ropes out of nowhere and the counter (because I hate counters); I was also interested in Ridley but after they revealed him and his moveset, I thought his gameplay is uninteresting.

So I'm sorry but I think I'm not going to get this Smash game...
No, it's not just the characters, there are many factors involved:

-I bought Brawl, and Smash 4 in both versions. I played it with my friends for about a month and then we returned to Melee; I had the feel that I wasted my money both times, especially with Smash 4 where I spent A LOT of money (both versions + limited with the gamecube adapter).
-I don't really want to buy a Switch. I don't like the console and I think it's overpriced. I didn't like Breath of the Wild on WiiU and I'm not interested in Mario Odyssey because I see some common elements with the Zelda title, those elements that I disliked (collecting moons-korok seeds). The only game that I'm interested in is Kirby Star Allies and not even for the game itself (more because they finally put a character I like in it after 18 years of neglecting her and the games she appeared in as if they never existed), the game even looks boring for most of its content.
-I don't like the direction of the Smash series from Brawl onward. Gameplay-wise. I don't like how laggy the gameplay is, how unresponsive it is, how the game stores your input and does the moves separately from the moment of the input.
I don't like how items are grabbed when you perform dash moves and aerial attacks, it feels like a glitch and most of the time I unintentionally grab unwanted items; I don't like the gambling elements, the rare collectables you have to play for several months in order to get them all and rely on some horrible random value without any management, that theorically could go for years without giving you the item you need to finish the game.
Instead of improving the physics, they keep using the same formula again and again; stuff like the fact that jumps have a fixed height are still in the game, along with the unresponsiveness and lag, and other stuff, making the platforming elements of the game a terrible experience (instead of improving them, let's just remove them!).
I don't like the selection of characters and stages, especially I don't like how the stages are made from Brawl onward (it would be too long to explain, but I think only Melee did the stages right).
I don't like how instead of using popular environments from the franchises represented in Smash, they continue using generic Smash-exclusive environments; this for single player modes, story modes and so. And so on.
-Sakurai continues to ignore the content that comes from the games I like. Stuff like Warioland or the Dark Matter Trilogy (Kirby Series) are constantly ignored, and the icing on the cake is that he excluded my most wanted character from the list of spirits, and there's a high chance that it's not because of DLC but because of being neglected (in the meanwhile, HAL is doing the opposite, giving her a lot of spotlight and making her playable). This is a very minor thing but it's annoying, and added to the above list, it just makes the situation way worse.

So, I'm sorry but the only thing that could have saved the game for me (the characters) seems to be going in a direction that I don't like, so, it's very possible that I will skip this game completely.
And since the Switch has very few games that I like, it's very possible that, without Smash Bros, I won't even buy the console completely, at all.
Unless Metroid Prime 4 is a masterpiece and a new F-Zero game that doesn't suck is announced, or something.

An hypotetical announcement of Adeleine as DLC may change the things a bit, I may decide to buy the game even just so I can main my favorite character, but this won't change my overall opinion on the series and on the Swithc as a console.
But that's not happening.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If Xander doesn't announce Joker with his Joker voice then what's even the point?

Also, Verge is not dead guys, the only things he's said about DLC are Minecraft content and the Swuare rep, none of which were deconfirmed.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Waking up to a newcomer made me feel nostalgic. Anyway, I don't have anything with or against Joker because I barely know anything about Persona. Guess I'll wait for his moveset to be shown.

D

Deleted member

I love how the "They're not looking at a characters past 2014" claim was killed with the first character. Here's to hoping we get a few more modern additions.
Oh right, does this make Joker the most recent character in the roster or is that still Incineroar?

D

Deleted member

Verge said the SE rep would be the first DLC revealed. Of course, I went to check his history, and he still claims they’re still in.
Welp, I expected that Verge knew nothing of DLC, and this seems to confirm it... wasn't PolarPanda also in the same circle as Verge?

At this point y'all just hope for who you want, all bets are off.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Hm, about Joker's weapons:

His ultimate dagger is Paradise Lost and his ultimate pistol is Tyrant Pistol. You need respectively Satanael and Lucifer for them. So, assuming he did work hard, he effectively uses two gods as weapons and that's without going to Personas he can use.

Shulk's gonna need to step up his game.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Welp, I expected that Verge knew nothing of DLC, and this seems to confirm it... wasn't PolarPanda also in the same circle as Verge?

At this point y'all just hope for who you want, all bets are off.
You bet I am. Joker’s reveal has given me huge confidence for Phoenix Wright. I’m hoping for the best!

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So, Joker, and rumors about a Square character, and maybe Steve.
So my fear that the DLC characters are all third party may become real.

I was so happy when Sakurai said that Nintendo was in charge of selecting the characters because I thought that we finally were getting some Nintendo characters. Instead... we're getting more third parties.

I'm sorry but I don't like this direction, this game is really starting to feel like Playstation All Stars Battle Royale to me (not because of Playstation character in specific, but because it's beoming the celebration of many third party franchises which I absolutely don't care about).

I'm happy for the fans, and for those people who like the Persona games, I know it has a lot of fans... and it makes sense from a marketing point of view, a character from a popular series with many fans.
But it's starting to not feel like Smash Bros anymore.

So far, the only newcomers I like are Inkling and Incineroar, and even Incineroar has a couple of moves I don't like, such as summoning the ropes out of nowhere and the counter (because I hate counters); I was also interested in Ridley but after they revealed him and his moveset, I thought his gameplay is uninteresting.

So I'm sorry but I think I'm not going to get this Smash game...
No, it's not just the characters, there are many factors involved:

-I bought Brawl, and Smash 4 in both versions. I played it with my friends for about a month and then we returned to Melee; I had the feel that I wasted my money both times, especially with Smash 4 where I spent A LOT of money (both versions + limited with the gamecube adapter).
-I don't really want to buy a Switch. I don't like the console and I think it's overpriced. I didn't like Breath of the Wild on WiiU and I'm not interested in Mario Odyssey because I see some common elements with the Zelda title, those elements that I disliked (collecting moons-korok seeds). The only game that I'm interested in is Kirby Star Allies and not even for the game itself (more because they finally put a character I like in it after 18 years of neglecting her and the games she appeared in as if they never existed), the game even looks boring for most of its content.
-I don't like the direction of the Smash series from Brawl onward. Gameplay-wise. I don't like how laggy the gameplay is, how unresponsive it is, how the game stores your input and does the moves separately from the moment of the input.
I don't like how items are grabbed when you perform dash moves and aerial attacks, it feels like a glitch and most of the time I unintentionally grab unwanted items; I don't like the gambling elements, the rare collectables you have to play for several months in order to get them all and rely on some horrible random value without management that theorically could go for years without giving you the item you need to end the game.
Instead of improving the physics, they keep using the same formula again and again; stuff like the fact that jumps have a fixed heigh are still in the game, along with the unresponsiveness and lag, and other stuff, making the platforming elements of the game a terrible experience (instead of improving them, let's just remove them!).
I don't like the selection of characters and stages, especially I don't like how the stages are made from Brawl onward (it would be too long to explain, but I think only Melee did the stages right).
I don't like how instead of using popular environments from the franchises represented in Smash, they continue using generic Smash-exclusive environments; this for single player modes, story modes and so. And so on.
-Sakurai continues to ignore the content that comes from the games I like. Stuff like Warioland or the Dark Matter Trilogy (Kirby Series) are constantly ignored, and the icing on the cake is that he excluded my most wanted character from the list of spirits, and there's a high chance that it's not because of DLC but because of being neglected (in the meanwhile, HAL is doing the opposite, giving her a lot of spotlight and making her playable). This is a very minor thing but it's annoying, and added to the above list, it just makes the situation way worse.

So, I'm sorry but the only thing that could have saved the game for me (the characters) seems to be going in a direction that I don't like, so, it's very possible that I will skip this game completely.
And since the Switch has very few games that I like, it's very possible that, without Smash Bros, I won't even buy the console completely, at all.
Unless Metroid Prime 4 is a masterpiece and a new F-Zero game that doesn't suck is announced, or something.

An hypotetical announcement of Adeleine as DLC may change the things a bit, I may decide to buy the game even just so I can main my favorite character, but this won't change my overall opinion on the series and on the Swithc as a console.
But that's not happening.
I think you might be jumping the gun. As of now, this alleged SE character has been a wild goose chase that's led us to no announcement of said character at the VGAs, and multiple sources have came out and said they don't believe Verge is correct with Minecraft. Everyone is all over the place with their predictions, and clearly not everyone knows as much as they think they do. Otherwise, Joker would've been an easy prediction for these guys.

We still have four DLC characters left. Stay optimistic.

D

Deleted member

So it looks like the "Nintendo's list was decided alongside the Project Plan in 2015" rumor is dead, P5 released in September 2016

Truly, we never saw this coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom