• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Based on years of research, I made a tier list on how fun a character is to face in Ultimate.

Good: everyone except
Bad: Any of the Links, Fox, Falco, Cloud
May I add Snake to that equasion? I mean, a good Snake player can be fun, but usually I feel like I'm in a Michael Bay movie

D

Deleted member

what does this even mean?
We're continuing the time honored tradition of making this thread the Smash Ultimate General FE Discussion Thread.

Based on years of research, I made a tier list on how fun a character is to face in Ultimate.

Good: everyone except
Bad: Any of the Links, Fox, Falco, Cloud
Nice to see some traditions are still goin' strong. :foxmelee::falcomelee:

D

Deleted member

I see this claim come up fairly often so I'm wondering if you could elaborate? I won't deny Conquest comes the closest to the standard FE experience of all of the recent games, but I remember a lot of the maps relying more gimmicks & enemy skills than anything albeit not as much as Revelations.

Fates as a whole was kind of blur to me so I'm curious to know what stands out in people's minds.
Conquest's map design is just really tight and the gimmicks it sets up actually add to the strategic value. You can take this as you will but games like the GBA Emblems were a lot more open in how you could handle a map in that you could afford some mistakes here and there, but Conquest has specific enemy patterns, map events and interactions that punish you harder for mistakes.
The first map exclusive to the route is a really good example(for reference, I'll be using Hard Mode as a reference as Normal Mode lacks a lot of enemy skills and Lunatic is Hard Mode up to eleven) in that while it's a Rout map, it locks you in the middle of a small space with Faceless coming at you from every direction. The goal here is to prevent these enemies from invading the small island you're on, as otherwise they'll just overwhelm you by attacking from all sides. Initially, you can't really take care of them all at a time as you only have 2 units but you get more as the turns pass. It's a small and short map but it really shows what most of the route is about.

I won't say all maps are good(Mr. Fugo's Wild Wind Ride and Kitsune Village can burn in hell) but it's mostly like this. I suggest looking into an analysis video of Chapter 10(the defense mission against Takumi) as it's generally agreed to be the overall best map of the game and they can explain all the nuances better than I can.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I can't really talk much about FE - I've never played it, and I'm not big on the JRPGs in the first place...

Smash, however - :ultike:is beyond awesome. Ike ended up as my go-to heavy in Sm4sh since the Dorf felt unbelievably awkward there. :ultrobin: is also really cool. I remember that I used to use :link2::ike::zelda::squirtle: as my team against Tabuu all those years ago, so it's fun to get that team back together in Squad Strike.

Speaking of...wouldn't it be awesome if they gave us a Boss Rush mode or something and brought back characters like Tabuu? Just for the nostalgia service.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
I suggest looking into an analysis video of Chapter 10(the defense mission against Takumi) as it's generally agreed to be the overall best map of the game and they can explain all the nuances better than I can.
That's the one in the Harbor right? That one was good. Felt like a really tough puzzle with multiple solutions, but once you start on one way to solve it, you're committed for that run

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
. I suggest looking into an analysis video of Chapter 10(the defense mission against Takumi) as it's generally agreed to be the overall best map of the game and they can explain all the nuances better than I can.
That's map was easily the most fun I had while playing the entirety of Fates. Very memorable. lol

LetterO

Smash Lord
Oh, so you're not gonna complain about my boi online?

Yep, it's official. This isn't Smash 4 :yoshi:
May I add Snake to that equasion? I mean, a good Snake player can be fun, but usually I feel like I'm in a Michael Bay movie
I barely see either online. Yoshi's fun to play though, and he's also apparently really good so good on you, Zinith.

D

Deleted member

That's the one in the Harbor right? That one was good. Felt like a really tough puzzle with multiple solutions, but once you start on one way to solve it, you're committed for that run
That's the one. It's in so many layers of good map design. Like, if you're a madman you could even prevent Tacomeat from drying up the water.

Another great map is the staircase, the one where all deployed units have to escape at the top.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So you're telling me flame effects aren't fire? And even though monsters still die up in flames in SotN, it was just "hardware limitations"?
Because at that point, it has simply become a part of the series' aesthetic. Alucard doesn't even use holy weapons, so his attacks shouldn't be causing enemies to burst into flames in the first place. But they still do, because that's just how monsters die in Castlevania.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I will forever maintain that Shadow Dragon gets way too much hate and is a really underrated game. Luckily lots of folks have seemingly come around to it a bit more as of late, which is nice to see.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I will forever maintain that Shadow Dragon gets way too much hate and is a really underrated game. Luckily lots of folks have seemingly come around to it a bit more as of late, which is nice to see.
Have they?

I haven’t seen that for a turn around. Of the ones I have played it is my least favorite.

Closest I can think of is Radiant Dawn for a close one for dislike.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Have they?

I haven’t seen that for a turn around. Of the ones I have played it is my least favorite.

Closest I can think of is Radiant Dawn for a close one for dislike.
From what I've seen, especially on places like the Fire Emblem subreddit, general opinion is definitely swinging more toward the positive. It's seen a bit of an upswing. It definitely became noticeable after Heroes released, which may have gotten some people interested in it by proxy. Another surge happened around the time Mangs and Mekkkah did their joint playthrough of it. I think it getting slightly more exposure through word of mouth has had a bit of an impact.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Anyone else agree that Ike looks kinda weird in Ultimate? Something about his face looks odd.... he kinda looks like a chipmunk.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I don't even like the character, I just like how she plays in Smash :drshrug:
And Dragons. I like Dragons.
I unironically Corrin was one of my most wanted back in Smash 4, and she's still one of my favorite characters

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
so i'm currently playing persona 5 and i'm loving it. can't wait to see what joker brings to the game.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Anyone else agree that Ike looks kinda weird in Ultimate? Something about his face looks odd.... he kinda looks like a chipmunk.
:ultshulk: and :ultryu: got way weirder looking in Ultimate IMO.

D

Deleted member

I just don't like how Radiant Dawn Ike is looking a different direction in his render from Path of Radiance Ike. It's a really weird nitpick that doesn't matter especially because I don't play Ike.

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
Genuine question here: Does anyone actually have Fates as their favorite Fire Emblem game?
Me.

I replay the game every now and then. It's the most fun I've had with an FE title.

Story isn’t very well told but I definitely don’t think it’s the worst thing ever conceived. I think you can make sense of the plot if you read between the lines but it's a shame it isn't very well explained within the game and you have to go out of your way.

Conquest has some of the best game-play the series has to offer. Birthright gets dumped on a lot but I think the gameplay isn’t all that different from Awakening. A lot of mechanics from Awakening were brought back and refined in Fates (for example, Pair-Up isn't insanely broken now) so I consider Birthright a better Awakening gameplay-wise. Revelation... Yeah, I can understand people's grievances with it. They got weirdly experimental with most maps for what’s considered the “true” path.

Controversial opinion: Corrin is my favorite FE character.

Since we're on that topic, I'd like to share a somewhat lengthy, but excellent analysis a friend of mine made on Corrin. I'll post it below if anyone is interested in reading it.

***BRIEF DISCLAIMER: This writeup is meant to be explicitly in regards to Corrin and Corrin alone. I have no intention of discussing the quality of the story as a whole here, I’m merely trying to prove that at the very least, the story’s issues don’t stem from the protagonist, as they seem to be made out to by most of this community. If I wanted to talk about what I believe the story did properly/improperly, that’s another issue altogether. The only claim I’m trying to make here is one about the quality of the protagonist.***

I’m gonna preface this by explaining the purpose of this and the methods I intend to go about with it. The objective of this piece is absolutely not to try to make people like Corrin. It’s a result that would make me happy to see from it, but the attempt here is to make an approach in appeal to objective quality. The primary argument here is going to be that Corrin is a far better written character than they’re made out to be by the community, and there’s nothing wrong with continuing to dislike them, you remain entitled to that opinion, but I’d hope you could be willing to at least see beyond that view for a moment to hear out this piece. As far as methods go, I intend to use exclusively the Fates script for this, including all routes, Paralogues 1 and 2, DLC (though pretty much none of the argument uses this) and C-A support conversations. I’m going to be loosely referring to a lot of events merely in summary, but if sources to specific claims are wanted I’m prepared to back them up with evidence. If anyone believes I missed something or believes I’m incorrect on some matters I’m happy to discuss it, but for now, let’s jump right into it.

To start off this whole thing, I’m gonna need to talk about Corrin’s background, since this plays a huge role in the character. Background in general is honestly something that’s rarely looked at enough with characters, despite it playing a significant role thanks to usually being the primary source of justification for a character’s beliefs (At the beginning of a story at the very least). In this case, Corrin’s background is made incredibly clear quite early. They lived an incredibly spoiled childhood where their every whim was essentially catered to, which resulted in them being oblivious to the world’s actual problems due to not only never being exposed to them directly, but deliberately withheld from that information. Ultimately they are left with the view that the world is simply some sort of perfect utopia where conflict is easily resolved, people can always be trusted and everything is in black and white. As we all probably know, that isn’t exactly the case, which they soon figure out.

Starting from around chapter 2, Corrin continues to hold on to their ideals about what is right, but they begin to experience to some of the real evils of the world that they had been blissfully unaware of for years. This ultimately culminates into the events of chapter 5, where they come to realize the full gravity of the lie that they had been living. Corrin ultimately becomes completely overwhelmed with a flurry of emotions that is quite literally too much for their body to take, causing their first violent transformation and ultimately serving as the catalyst that will ultimately be built on throughout the rest of the game. Before I get to that though, I think this chapter is worth taking note of for a few particular reasons. Corrin’s character is one largely driven by emotions and morality rather than cold logic, and this emotional breakdown exemplifies that element of their character, and introduces the dragon form as a literal representation of their emotions. The state of their body is analogous to the state of their mind in a sense, and we see the gentle pacifist replaced with a merciless beast. I think I’ve mentioned before how almost all the playable dragons in the series mostly just have a stark contrast between their normally innocent human forms and their dragon forms, and in Corrin’s case, the same sort of shift can be seen with their temperament once they’ve passed a breaking point, regardless of the form they take. (Examples of moments with such temperament include the beginning of Paralogue 2, among others) In this instance, the only thing that was ultimately able to bring them back was somebody being compassionate enough to see through their form and understand their suffering.

Going forward, one of the big significant things about Corrin that I think really sets them apart from a lot of the other FE protagonists is how much situations seem to really weigh on them. While many of the protagonists have very high-tension scenes in the moment, it’s rare for pretty much any of them to genuinely seem to start having their faith falter due to what they encounter. Other protags will occasionally remark on the deaths of Camus-archetype enemy characters, but Corrin is the only real case where the very prospect of killing people is terrifying to them. They start of their adventure fairly idealistic, scoring some notable victories early on the two initial routes without too much bloodshed (this is after chapter 6 of course, which is obviously an extremely difficult time for them, and hardly even a victory on both routes considering Xander kinda wrecks them on BR), but as the story progresses, they become increasingly forced into situations that lead to increasing doubt. They run into more fights they could have hoped to avoid against people they see no justice in fighting, and are haunted by the concept of taking lives, especially when people they care about are not just dying around them, but willing to die for them. (This is significant later, I’ll come back to it) Due to all of this, it makes Corrin feel far more believable than a lot of other protagonists despite their much more out-there upbringing, considering not only is time devoted to getting that upbringing across through chapter 1 (and just being mentioned in a TON of their supports), they’re placed in scenarios that actually bring challenge to that upbringing and allow us to see a multitude of aspects of their personality. What makes them heroic isn’t solely their idealistic beliefs, it’s the mortality behind them, the prospect that they are brought to their knees by the world’s cruelty and are able to find the strength within themselves to persevere. Even after everything is over, Corrin seems to remain genuinely severely scarred from the experiences during the war, to the point of saying that the deaths they caused will haunt them for the rest of their life.

How they view death in general is another aspect of Corrin’s character worth looking into, due to it being a really interesting way of writing something that is generally quite an admirable trait into a unique character flaw. While they do everything in their power to prevent the deaths of those around them, the one life they repeatedly show they’re not afraid to gamble with is their own. This is shown in a multitude of occasions (offering to sacrifice themselves to talk about Valla to convince the countries from stopping the violence, putting themselves in front of Kana and reassuring them despite clearly being overwhelmed, and taking a lethal blow meant for others in the two base routes’ respective final chapter sequences, etc.) and even in supports they seem to see their life as something they aren’t afraid to expend. I don’t believe the reasoning behind this is any sort of joy from self-harm or a sort of martyr complex, but rather a result of Corrin’s incredibly idealistic morals, one such moral being that they value what they believe is right over their own well-being, which they essentially state themselves after chapter 2 when Xander expresses concern about the trouble they could get into. While admirable at its base, this also serves as one of Corrin’s greatest character faults throughout the story, ironically because of a reason people denounce the character for. The fact that they hold a significant position in universe results in many, such as the aforementioned Xander, to have deep concern over their well-being. Because of the fact that people love them, it creates a sort of tension amongst them, where Corrin themselves isn’t afraid to throw their life away while that’s really the last thing the people they care so much for want for them. This is ESPECIALLY apparent with Kana, but I’m going to reserve that topic for another day since I think it’s better saved for a discussion about Kana. Because of this immense concern about Corrin’s well-being, other character go to the extent of giving their lives up for them, when in the process they likely only cause them more suffering because of how they value the lives of others before themselves in the first place. As a result of this, a constant dynamic is going on throughout their journey, where both their own noble intentions and those of the people around them ultimately cause them more pain.

One other topic I want to at least briefly address due to the prominence of it within Corrin’s character as well as it being quite possibly the most criticized element of them is that of trust. The way the dynamic plays out is in a somewhat similar manner to that of the aforementioned selflessness, and ties into the same character themes overall. As mentioned briefly in the background paragraph, it develops from Corrin’s childhood, though while the death element is more a strict ethical belief throughout, the trust element starts off only partially ideals, with the remainder just being a mere lack of experience. At that time, they’ve had no real situation in their life where they ever really suffered from their faith in the people around them, and even in the events leading up to chapter 5, it still remains largely unpunished, and only starting from then do the consequences start to sink in more. However, what’s notable about this isn’t that from their trust is something they come to go back on during their journey, but more the opposite. This sort of trust is challenged, and they acknowledge that it’s been challenged and brings consequences with it. Yet they still believe it remains more important to give people that chance to prove their virtue, and to never turn on them in need, even if it means potential betrayal. I often criticize how in Revelation, a lot of Corrin’s character elements don’t get the chance to grow as much due to the fact that many of the more devastating experiences to them only happen in the other two routes, but it actually has quite a good conversation about this later on. After one of the few instances in the games where they actively decide not to trust somebody, it’s followed by a conversation explaining what makes that trust so valuable. Even when there are those who defile it, it’s a rare case to see somebody whose still willing to give a chance to people, and says a lot about someone’s moral character when they aren’t afraid to believe in people even when it puts themselves at risk. This theme is one that can ultimately be applied to the series as a whole (inb4 FE7 commercial memes) through the vein that the mere aspect of building an army demands having faith in the people under your banner. The fact that this is explicitly brought up as an issue and firmly set in stone only reinforces that theme firmly, and expresses how even when you’re getting stabbed in the back, having the faith to trust in other people is a valuable thing.

I think the bulk of my argument is set up at this point, so I think I’m gonna use this next segment to sorta quickly cover some common criticisms that I see often brought up. A lot of these are rather well, blanket statements, but I’m still gonna try to be as constructive dealing with them as possible. Obviously these all aren’t necessarily people’s exact words, just more so general claims that they make:

“Corrin is stupid”
By far the most common of these sorts of frustrations people have thrown around. I think largely the claim being made here is meant with the interpretation of their general ethics as they are from the start of the game. The thing is, you can’t necessarily really blame a character for acting a way when they don’t know better, especially when the game makes it crystal clear how little worldly knowledge Corrin actually has. Whether you dislike the ideals they hold is another question from this entirely, but as far as the initial basis goes, it’s hard to say somebody is horrible for acting one way when they have honestly no real reason to act otherwise considering their upbringing. I think this idea (and to an extent, a lot of the Corrin hate in general), comes from a sort of adamant refusal some people have to actually take a look at things through their perspective. Just because you wouldn’t act a certain way doesn’t necessarily mean it isn’t okay that a character acts that way, especially when I think it’s hard to say the average person has been sheltered from all knowledge their whole life and hasn’t even had even the faintest reason to believe differently.

“Corrin never learns anything”
This is the second element of the first criticism I hear, that what really makes Corrin stupid is the fact that they just supposedly shrug off every experience, taking nothing from it. I feel this is… a fairly severe misinterpretation of these such experiences. They most definitely are getting something from situations like these, even though in every situation (such as trust), the effect it has doesn’t show quite as immediately. These events serve to plant seeds of doubt in their ideals, and they do just that, often bringing Corrin into moral conflict on issues that would have simply been a no-brainer to them back in their days in Nohr. The big thing is their response of choice to this doubt. While it leads to them themselves suffering quite a bit, at times merely feeling like they’re only worsening the atrocities of the war, what’s notable is their choice to continue to stand for such ideals. This culminates in the final maps of the first two routes, each serving as the sort of final burst of hope for them to find the courage within themselves to follow their actions to the end. It’s character development all the same when it’s brought into question and the motivation shifts from not knowing any other way to truly believing in their heart that it is right. If the argument here is just that trust or selflessness are poor morals, that’s something that’s not just standing up against Corrin, but the idealistic narrative as a whole. If you truly believe such concepts are horrendous things for a story to be spreading, that’s another matter altogether, but it’s difficult to make the argument that Corrin’s writing is genuinely poorly implemented when you hate the concept of such idealism from the ground up, regardless of execution.

“Corrin is perfect”
I think the intention here is mostly focusing on the ideals remaining constant, and thus Corrin supposedly never actually learns anything due to already having ideals they held from beforehand. This would be an understandable criticism if the story never actually punished them for their choices/caused them to feel any regret, but that’s hardly the case in actuality. You could probably argue that they’re actually the protagonist in the series whose character flaws are most formally brought into the light, and in an interesting manner to boot by making many of such flaws developed from otherwise positive traits (trust, selflessness, etc.) It’s always good to make sure your characters have faults if you want them to be believable, and Corrin is done in such a manner that their faults are taken advantage of by the story, while their impact is enhanced by how emotional they are.

“Corrin is a lazy self insert instead of an actual character”
This argument is one I don’t really understand, considering Fates had by a pretty sizable margin the most polarized avatar character, while the other two left a lot more in-disclosed and primarily played a side role in most scenes, rather being the focus of the action. My guess if I had to pinpoint where this argument develops from its probably more so a stigma against the avatars in general. Had they been a normal, preset protagonist, not too much would really change, and while this group would likely be less opposed to them had this been the case, it does deny customization options to people who do enjoy them, so whether or not Corrin should have been a customizable avatar is one thing, but they most certainly are a specific character with a defined personality.

“Corrin is basically worshipped by the other characters, which is merely pandering for people who do self insert” This argument is similar to the previous one in a few ways. The argument here is mostly that the reason Corrin is well-regarded by many of the significant characters in the game is solely to sorta make people who self-insert “feel loved”. The issue with this argument is, however, that many of these character relationships serve a purpose in order to try to gray the lines with the story. If the protagonist had little reason to feel guilt for turning against the other side, it makes it a much more clear-cut choice for the most part, as they aren’t at all the kind of person who would follow somebody they couldn’t sympathize with. In addition, it’s generally exaggerated exactly how much the other characters actually like Corrin. There’s a difference between expressing concern for someone’s well-being and literally kissing the ground they step on, and this is far more a case of the former. Not to mention, far from every character actually likes being around Corrin. Saizo, Beruka, and especially Takumi are the most prominent cases of characters who actively dislike them from the start (for various reasons), and many other support chains begin with the other character actively disliking them (or quickly coming to dislike them), so seeing everyone likes them is a pretty big stretch. If all of that isn’t enough, then even a quick comparison to many of the series’ other protagonists can yield insight. If you look around, many have few playable characters who even ever have conflict with the protagonist whatsoever, with Shinon, PoR Lethe, and New Mystery Michalis being some of the only readily apparent ones I can think of (there are probably more I’m blanking on, but the point still stands that this case is far from extremely common or being the standard). Corrin being an avatar doesn’t suddenly make them immune to any criticism from the other characters, and characters do have issues with them that are rarely brought up in this community despite arguably being more common than characters disliking many of the other protagonists.

Now, while I’ve established a lot of positives so far, I think there are some criticisms I want to bring up, as it wouldn’t be fair to just try to disprove everyone else’s issues with the character when I think there are things that I’d have liked to see expanded upon myself. In particular, I think the issues like not with what is done with their character, and more that there are neat ideas I wish got more spotlight. I think Corrin’s dragon form is an element that I feel is something that they don’t have their beliefs about made clear enough. You’d think a character who is so against violence would be absolutely terrified of the prospect that if they went without their Dragonstone, every emotion, every little urge becomes a threat that could potentially destroy everything they ever loved. From what little time it is mentioned, Corrin acknowledges that part of their body, but don’t seem to make a super firm stance (my headcanon is always that they’re self-conscious and concerned about it, but the source material doesn’t have enough evidence that I could just declare that to be true) on it until Kana’s chapter, where they fully embrace it through expressing so much pride in their child after seeing that within them, which would make a fantastic conclusion to this potential character arc of theirs. Granted, I can’t say exactly how I would implement this because, well, they simply do have their Dragonstone, and I can’t think of any story situation where taking it away would fit in without altering things significantly, but at the same time I think the mere fear of what could happen if they lost it could have just been an interesting element for a support (albeit then it would have the problem of breaking continuity if that support is viewed after Kana is met). One other minor thing I want to mention is there are some cases where Corrin passes their “breaking point” outside of chapter 5, where they fly into a merciless rage (the most well known example being the infamous “I’ll soak the fields with your blood!”). I think this does a good job fleshing out the instability of their emotions that was brought up earlier, though I think it could be interesting to have seen how they would reflect on these situations once they calm down and are more levelheaded, since they are normally so against such violence. These two things hardly kill the character, as there’s still plenty to be seen as is, I just can’t help but really wonder how they would respond to these situations (their response can be assumed based on the significant amount of insight we get on their character, but not confirmed as of now, as conversations about these specific topics simply don’t occur enough).

To summarize, I genuinely believe despite getting some of the worst rep of any character in the entire series that I can think of, it’s completely undeserved. Corrin’s background is more apparently fleshed out than that of most of the other protagonists, and more than a ton of protagonists in RPGs period when you really look around, and it makes it incredibly apparent where their beliefs develop from. Their character is one with many admirable, heroic traits, but the nature of how their story is set up leads to those traits serving as some of their greatest weaknesses as well. These faults, combined with how emotional Corrin is, result in them genuinely struggling with their ideals throughout the story, which serves to make it all the more inspiring. in the end, they are ultimately able to acknowledge the problems their beliefs bring and the fact that they won’t ac while being committed enough to truly believe that it’s right to follow them to the end. The fact that Corrin so willingly accepts responsibility for their actions, even when they were forced into an extremely difficult situation due to forces outside their control, shows the maturity gained throughout their journey, as they go from having only one perspective of the world, to seeing other perspectives throughout it and ultimately reasserting their own faith in what they really believe is right, accepting the consequences that come with that decision. Are there things I would have liked to see expanded upon? Certainly, but it’s ridiculous to act like that takes everything away from what’s done well with Corrin’s character, and even more ridiculous to simply write them off as “stupid” when they act in a manner that’s both sensible for their character and quite admirable in many situations. They are neither perfect nor irredeemable, and the fact that they have both positive and negative character traits that ultimately make them much more believable than a character who actually never does wrong. It’s remarkable to see a RPG take the initiative to have a protagonist with so many complex elements to them when it’s a situation where it would be super easy to get away with making them super generic (or worse, silent) to fit their role as the avatar character, instead using that position to encourage players to put themselves into the character’s shoes. I hope to see future FE games take the same sort of initiative with characters, as making characters more polarized and decisive with their beliefs makes them all the more engaging and ultimately believable for it. I hope this write-up maybe brought some things to light, with a community as stubborn as the FE one I could hardly go into this certain it would mean anything to somebody whose already dead set on hating a character. I thought this was still worth doing regardless just bc I enjoy writing about characters like this (especially ones I find underrated), and well, even if it doesn’t change many minds, the chance to even validate one person who feels the same as me against the harsh hate the character tends to get was more than enough to make this writeup something I’m glad to have spent time on.

I've been meaning to make an analysis myself, too. I ought to get on that.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Some of the faces do show you the attention to that detail didn't matter or was rushed.

Wolf still has a polygon head.
Shulk's and Leaf's faces looks like they are made out of play dough.
Ryu looks derpy
Chrom and Ike look like they have insomnia and constant night terrors
Young Link looks unfinished

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Legit, I dropped Shulk because when he wins he looks like a horrible terrifying mannequin.

Jesus, I think I would've preferred the actual low-texture Wii model than whatever is in Ultimate.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Yeah kinda lol

:ultlink: finally looks good in Smash
Easily the best render for him so far. Looks polished and not very out of place.

Now DK's Melee render is the one render that always makes me uncomfortable, although not surprising.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
My only gripe with the new Link is that he doesn't have the hylian hood on, not even hanging off him showing his hair.

If he had that, I actually might've seriously considered maining him.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
As a fellow dragon lover (:yoshi:), I'd like to challenge that...
Alright, since you are the Yoshi expert, I have to ask...does Yoshi really count as a dragon or simply a dinosaur? I know he has the past FS called "Super Dragon", but it was temporary? It honestly gets me so confused.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Alright, since you are the Yoshi expert, I have to ask...does Yoshi really counts as a dragon or simply a dinosaur? I know he has the past FS called "Super Dragon", but it was temporary? It honestly gets me so confused.
I think that'll depend on who you ask.
I know for me, when I think "dragon" my mind doesn't go to Yoshi.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Some of the faces do show you the attention to that detail didn't matter or was rushed.

Wolf still has a polygon head.
Shulk's and Leaf's faces looks like they are made out of play dough.
Ryu looks derpy
Chrom and Ike look like they have insomnia and constant night terrors
Young Link looks unfinished
The weird thing is that, in general, most of the iffy models are of human characters...

...And then there's Wolf.

D

Deleted member

Alright, since you are the Yoshi expert, I have to ask...does Yoshi really counts as a dragon or simply a dinosaur? I know he has the past FS called "Super Dragon", but it was temporary? It honestly gets me so confused.
Yoshi is Scar whatever he wants to be.

Yoshi's new Final Smash is easily one of my favorite things about him. I can't get mad when I get hit by it.

Noipoi

Howdy!
As a fellow dragon lover (:yoshi:), I'd like to challenge that...

You like Devon and Cornwall from the Quest for Camelot? If so, I'm impressed...
Hey man, even I have limits.

Alright, since you are the Yoshi expert, I have to ask...does Yoshi really count as a dragon or simply a dinosaur? I know he has the past FS called "Super Dragon", but it was temporary? It honestly gets me so confused.
I know you didn't ask me, but my personal headcanon is that he temporarily achieves Dragon status and then goes back to being classified as a Dinosaur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom