• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Actually, little game for you all

Pick 3 of any of the following systems, and then pick a truly obscure character from a game series from each of those systems. (Isaac and Geno are both too relevant and recognizable, for reference.) They are now added to Smash Ultimate.

Systems:
  • NES/Famicom
  • SNES/Super Famicom
  • Satellaview
  • Virtual Boy
  • Game Boy
  • Game Boy Color
  • Game Boy Advance
  • Sega Genesis
  • Sega Master System
  • Sega Game Gear
  • Sega Saturn
  • Sega Dreamcast
  • SG-1000/SG-3000/SG-1000 II/Mark II
  • Nintendo 64
  • Nintendo Gamecube
  • PlayStation 1
  • PlayStation 2
  • MSX
  • Xbox
  • Atari 2600
  • Commodore 64
  • Atari Jaguar
Who would you all add?

Personally, I'd go for Bonk (NES), Glover (N64), and NiGHTS (Sega Saturn).
Nintendo 64-Marina
Gameboy Color-Youngster Joey
Virtual Boy-Nester

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I've been trying to get 100% completion for World of Light, but I think I screwed up and ended up erasing all of the darkness in the final area. Do I have to complete WoL all over again or is there some way to reset the spirits in the final area? I spent hours, so I'll be disappointed if I have to do everything all over again. I really hope that's not the case.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1-Sans
2-Phoenix Wright
3-Crash
4-Hatsune Miku
I know that this is a late reply, but what would Hatsune Miku have to offer? I don’t mean this in a “Hurr, no moveset potential” way, I just want to know what she can do. :)
I’m unfamiliar with her, but from what I know, she’s a virtual-ish pop icon.
Or am I talking about the wrong Hatsune Miku?
Although, I’d like for this to get in:

D

Deleted member

Pick 3 of any of the following systems, and then pick a truly obscure character from a game series from each of those systems. (Isaac and Geno are both too relevant and recognizable, for reference.) They are now added to Smash Ultimate.

Systems:
  • NES/Famicom
  • SNES/Super Famicom
  • Satellaview
  • Virtual Boy
  • Game Boy
  • Game Boy Color
  • Game Boy Advance
  • Sega Genesis
  • Sega Master System
  • Sega Game Gear
  • Sega Saturn
  • Sega Dreamcast
  • Nintendo 64
  • Nintendo Gamecube
  • PlayStation 1
  • PlayStation 2
  • MSX
  • Xbox
  • Atari 2600
  • Commodore 64
  • Atari Jaguar
Who would you all add?

A Baldy/Sega Saturn Space hound/Jaguar Ursula/Game Cube

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Systems:
  • NES/Famicom
  • SNES/Super Famicom
  • Satellaview
  • Virtual Boy
  • Game Boy
  • Game Boy Color
  • Game Boy Advance
  • Sega Genesis
  • Sega Master System
  • Sega Game Gear
  • Sega Saturn
  • Sega Dreamcast
  • Nintendo 64
  • Nintendo Gamecube
  • PlayStation 1
  • PlayStation 2
  • MSX
  • Xbox
  • Atari 2600
  • Commodore 64
  • Atari Jaguar
Who would you all add?

Nintendo 64: Brian from Quest 64(who didn't see this coming?)

NES/Famicom: Hero from Crytalis(he has no name).

SNES: It was hard to choose Nasir from Lagoon or Fulgore from Killer Instinct. Fulgoe is more unique, so there you go.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Systems:
  • NES/Famicom
  • SNES/Super Famicom
  • Satellaview
  • Virtual Boy
  • Game Boy
  • Game Boy Color
  • Game Boy Advance
  • Sega Genesis
  • Sega Master System
  • Sega Game Gear
  • Sega Saturn
  • Sega Dreamcast
  • Nintendo 64
  • Nintendo Gamecube
  • PlayStation 1
  • PlayStation 2
  • MSX
  • Xbox
  • Atari 2600
  • Commodore 64
  • Atari Jaguar
Who would you all add?

Only one I can think of is Harry from Teleroboxing (Virtual Boy)
39EE19CC-A8FF-4667-AD3B-7F19F7B834EF.jpeg

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So while we’re talking about out wanted newcomers again, what stages and songs do you want to come with them? (You don’t have to list a ton of songs, a few you really want is fine.)

Ryu Hayabusa: Basilisk Mine Field
Shantae: Burning Town
Rayman: Glade of Dreams or Land of the Livid Dead
Banjo-Kazooie: Spiral Mountain
Cynthia: Alolan Battle Tree
Demi-fiend: Overworld Battle:skull:
Dante: Devils Never Cry Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Edition
Ryu Hayabusa: Ninja Gaiden Theme Warriors Orochi 3 Remix
Doom Slayer: E1M1 (Original)
Nier/2B: Song of Ancients: Fate

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
He didn't even think about the whole "did Cloud have a Nintendo appearance" when choosing him. It never came up, because it was irrelevant to him.

People like to pretend he actually cares about a Nintendo appearance, taking what he meant by "it'd be something as a courtesy" completely wrong(when it just means that. It'd be nice, but isn't a key factor)

Sakurai: I might have had misgivings if Cloud had never appeared on a Nintendo console in any form, though. https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/
Sounds to me like he might have had misgivings if Cloud had never appeared on a Nintendo console in any form.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I think that argument's long been dead.

Persona 5 will be on the Switch soon enough ;)

I know that this is a late reply, but what would Hatsune Miku have to offer? I don’t mean this in a “Hurr, no moveset potential” way, I just want to know what she can do. :)
I’m unfamiliar with her, but from what I know, she’s a virtual-ish pop icon.
Or am I talking about the wrong Hatsune Miku?
Although, I’d like for this to get in:
I dunno, I just want to see the world burn.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I meant echo as in how.

:ultganondorf: borrows from :ultfalcon:

or

:ultcloud: pinches from :ultike:
They've been extrememly clear about which characters are echo fighters and what defines an echo fighter, it would be objectively wrong and downright confusing to label either of those characters as echoes at this point. They're just characters with similarities.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sounds to me like he might have had misgivings if Cloud had never appeared on a Nintendo console in any form.
Yes, something way after he put him in as people asked about his thoughts. Because people couldn't fathom the idea that he didn't care about the whole Nintendo factor. Which he still is saying he actually doesn't care about Nintendo relevance and to forget console wars. It's pretty clear it's irrelevant to him.

It had not actual bearing whatsoever on his actual decision. And his answer is the same thing, he has no idea because it wasn't a factor that was even considered. If Cloud didn't even get a Nintendo appearance? The chances of it mattering was small because Sakurai still wouldn't have cared about an arbitrary and irrelevant thing. Now, Nintendo and Square-Enix are a different story. But Sakurai would've still tried to add him because all he wanted the gaming icon for his own merits, not some pointless arbitrary thing.

You also ignored a key part of what he said too; "Sakurai: Which is why I think we should forget about console wars and focus on what’s really important: enjoying the games themselves." as well as "A number of people fixate on the fact his original game was never released on a Nintendo console, but if we were to limit our choices to characters who appeared on a Nintendo console, we’d end up with Bartz from FFV or the Onion Knight from FFIII—how would that work? Maybe they could change jobs or something… Actually, that would be kind of interesting (laughs)." It's very clear he isn't worried about Nintendo appearances. It's an afterthought, not something that was even important. His reasons had jack-all to do with Nintendo appearances. Cloud was actually chosen because of his extreme popularity in FF as a whole and they wanted a FF character. It's like choosing Bowser before Mario for your first Super Mario Bros. character. You don't do it. One is the stand out. He didn't want those who had more relevance to Nintendo. He wanted the main guy. The real big gun.

D

Deleted member

Instead of having argument that was settled 3 years ago why don't we talk about the positive which is that we get to expand our thinking

Last edited by a moderator:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Persona 5 will be on the Switch soon enough ;)

I dunno, I just want to see the world burn.
As of the time of his confirmation, and even now, there is no confirmation that Persona 5 will be on the Switch, and at the time, neither was Final Fantasy VII.

Call it what you want, but Cloud and Joker's only appearances on Nintendo at this time were in spin-offs. The same can be said of Dante. And I'm sorry to PDMG, but the argument that "Final Fantasy as a whole existed on Nintendo so it doesn't count" is just completely untrue. Note that in Smash, the franchise is listed only as Final Fantasy VII, not the series as a whole. All content in the game is from VII. Like Dante, Cloud's only Nintendo appearance at time of inclusion wasn't even in his own series!

Noipoi

Howdy!
Instead of having argument that was settled 3 years ago why don't we talk about the positive which is that we get to expand our thinking
That's why Sans is 192% confirmed baybee.

And he actually appeared on a Nintendo console!

As of the time of his confirmation, and even now, there is no confirmation that Persona 5 will be on the Switch, and at the time, neither was Final Fantasy VII.

Call it what you want, but Cloud and Joker's only appearances on Nintendo at this time were in spin-offs. The same can be said of Dante. And I'm sorry to PDMG, but the argument that "Final Fantasy as a whole existed on Nintendo so it doesn't count" is just completely untrue. Note that in Smash, the franchise is listed only as Final Fantasy VII, not the series as a whole. All content in the game is from VII. Like Dante, Cloud's only Nintendo appearance at time of inclusion wasn't even in his own series!
LET ME DREAM FOR A PERSONA 5 PORT, DANG IT.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Alright, any stages you want these guys to bring as well?

Also I’d love to hear the composers interpretations of the Ninja Gaiden ost, ESPECIALLY Unbreakable Determination.
Well you've already heard enough stage recommendations from the rest of the characters, so I'll say for my 2 top most favorites:
Demi-fiend should have the final tower
tower of kagutsuchi.png

demi vs raidou.jpg
For Dante

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

To be fair, there was a FF spin-off he was in on the handheld. Theatrical something something Final Fantasy. I forget the exact name. However, it was out before Smash with Cloud in it. Not that your point doesn't stand.

Still was a spin-off and not his game even then.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
No, no, no, the controversy surrounding SubHuman is double-ended.
1. I really don't have to say this but sounds... awful. Even in comparison to songs like Devils Never Cry and Shall Never Surrender, it's slower, louder, intelligible, and oddly enough, screamier.

2. And more importantly, the vocalist got into some hot water involving girls that were minors so the fanbase wasn't so happy about that. That's probably the main reason they got the new vocalist.
You aren't wrong about the second reason but that was found like 2 days after the theme went public

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Yes, something way after he put him in as people asked about his thoughts. Because people couldn't fathom the idea that he didn't care about the whole Nintendo factor. Which he still is saying he actually doesn't care about Nintendo relevance and to forget console wars. It's pretty clear it's irrelevant to him.

It had not actual bearing whatsoever on his actual decision. And his answer is the same thing, he has no idea because it wasn't a factor that was even considered. If Cloud didn't even get a Nintendo appearance? The chances of it mattering was small because Sakurai still wouldn't have cared about an arbitrary and irrelevant thing. Now, Nintendo and Square-Enix are a different story. But Sakurai would've still tried to add him because all he wanted the gaming icon for his own merits, not some pointless arbitrary thing.
He literally said he might have had misgivings, yet you insist he wouldn't have had misgivings... ok.

D

Deleted member

Kind of random but is there any third party smash controller released or in development?

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

You also ignored a key part of what he said too; "Sakurai: Which is why I think we should forget about console wars and focus on what’s really important: enjoying the games themselves." as well as "A number of people fixate on the fact his original game was never released on a Nintendo console, but if we were to limit our choices to characters who appeared on a Nintendo console, we’d end up with Bartz from FFV or the Onion Knight from FFIII—how would that work? Maybe they could change jobs or something… Actually, that would be kind of interesting (laughs)." It's very clear he isn't worried about Nintendo appearances. It's an afterthought, not something that was even important. His reasons had jack-all to do with Nintendo appearances. Cloud was actually chosen because of his extreme popularity in FF as a whole and they wanted a FF character. It's like choosing Bowser before Mario for your first Super Mario Bros. character. You don't do it. One is the stand out. He didn't want those who had more relevance to Nintendo. He wanted the main guy. The real big gun.
Clearly a character having a strong history with Nintendo doesn't matter that much to him. I never said otherwise.

All I said is that he might have had misgivings if Cloud had never appeared on a Nintendo console in any form, because he literally said that might have had misgivings if Cloud had never appeared on a Nintendo console in any form.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
That's why Sans is 192% confirmed baybee.

And he actually appeared on a Nintendo console!

LET ME DREAM FOR A PERSONA 5 PORT, DANG IT.
Believe me, I want to have one too! My goal is to have played and beaten at least 1 game per franchise represented in Smash.

To be fair, there was a FF spin-off he was in on the handheld. Theatrical something something Final Fantasy. I forget the exact name. However, it was out before Smash with Cloud in it. Not that your point doesn't stand.

Still was a spin-off and not his game even then.
Ah yes, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Clearly a character having a strong history with Nintendo doesn't matter that much to him. I never suggested otherwise.

All I said is that he might have had misgivings if Cloud had never appeared on a Nintendo console in any form, because he literally said that might have had misgivings if Cloud had never appeared on a Nintendo console in any form.
Which would matter if he didn't entirely dismiss the idea of a Nintendo appearance being required in the same interview. He already knew it was irrelevant. He told us to stop caring about it too. He doesn't know what he would've done because it never came up. But we already know he doesn't actually care as his answers prove.

Which you ignored tons of the interview making it clear he just didn't care about that crap. And it's a good thing too. Because it'd just make the roster weak by ignoring great characters over arbitrary crap. To be frank, the only reason we are unlikely to get a character with no Nintendo appearances is because we get them too often for that to be a factor. Even Master Chief has one.

Ah yes, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy.
Yep. Regardless, your point still stands. Sakurai doesn't care if the character's game or even series is on Nintendo. He just wants the character for who they are. Bias is possible, of course.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Well, good luck beating Animal Crossing.
Whatever that could possibly mean.
I know it's essentially an endless life simulator, but I personally always saw fully upgrading and paying off your house as completing the "main story" and filling the museum and getting all of the music tracks as "100%ing the sidequests", not that I ever actually did that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We're aware of the thread breaking. It's kind of hard to fix. Hopefully it works better soon. Apologies for the inconvenience. I suggest making sure you get alerts when you're quoted.

Squirtle/Mario guy

Smash Journeyman
Which would matter if he didn't entirely dismiss the idea of a Nintendo appearance being required in the same interview. He already knew it was irrelevant. He told us to stop caring about it too. He doesn't know what he would've done because it never came up. But we already know he doesn't actually care as his answers prove.

Which you ignored tons of the interview making it clear he just didn't care about that crap. And it's a good thing too. Because it'd just make the roster weak by ignoring great characters over arbitrary crap. To be frank, the only reason we are unlikely to get a character with no Nintendo appearances is because we get them too often for that to be a factor. Even Master Chief has one.

Yep. Regardless, your point still stands. Sakurai doesn't care if the character's game or even series is on Nintendo. He just wants the character for who they are. Bias is possible, of course.
Wait what about Modern Kirby Ik i'm steering WAYYYY off topic and ik there are modern Kirby in forms of Spirits, Stages and Moosic but what about a character i don't remember seeing an interview where he said he don't care about whether Kirby series can have modern character reps

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Wait what about Modern Kirby Ik i'm steering WAYYYY off topic and ik there are modern Kirby in forms of Spirits, Stages and Moosic but what about a character i don't remember seeing an interview where he said he don't care about whether Kirby series can have modern character reps
...Er, what? I never spoke of Kirby. That's a different thing. Though yeah, maybe his bias somewhat affects the Kirby content. He doesn't pretend he lacks biases. However, his team chose the Spirits mainly, so...

D

Deleted member

I don't think modernizing something warrants a roster spot
Edit read the post wrong ignore this

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom