• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Smash vs Tekken vs Halo. Who brought in the most players at Orlando?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
that doesn't count spectators. technically halo has online qualifiers so teh actual participation is what ever GB is

M@v

Subarashii!
I wouldnt count halo as individual people. Count them as teams. They will always be the highest per person since each team has 4 ppl, plus a LOT of them have a 5th person, called the coach. He pretty much tells the team when poweups appear, when certain guns are scheduled to show up, and any other important info he sees/knows.( i was talking to some halo guys at MLG, they told me the whole deal.)Go by number of teams.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Sorry. I apologize if I came off rude. Halo has 256 team passes. They have 16 seeded pro teams and then seeds 16-32 are considered "semi-pro" teams. Then everyone below that is "amateur".

Tokyoinamerica

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tokyodown
I wouldn't say the most players would matter. (But 1st. Halo 2nd. Smash 3rd. Tekken) I say the most hype and excitement from the players is a big deal and would help keep Smash in the league.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
Sorry. I apologize if I came off rude. Halo has 256 team passes. They have 16 seeded pro teams and then seeds 16-32 are considered "semi-pro" teams. Then everyone below that is "amateur".
so if your an amataur team how do you win teh tournament? and no offence was taken lol

If smash community continually has god attendance to MLG brawl will no doubt thrive

dj asakura

Smash Ace
so if your an amataur team how do you win teh tournament? and no offence was taken lol

If smash community continually has god attendance to MLG brawl will no doubt thrive
You have to play through Open Brackets and make it into the Winners Brackets (where the top 16 teams start) and then beat them all. Not one team (in Halo or Gears of War) has even won a tournament out of the Open Bracket. Teams have been close, but they have never won.

iProdigy101

Smash Apprentice
Halo hands down had a lot of participants. I mean, Halo is the league's flagship game and has over 50 teams, and it's going to continue to be the main game for a long, long time. Still, Smash had more player than Tekken 6. Man, they should have a live broadcast of Smash. :(

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Halo=256(if passes were sold out)
Smash=183
Tekken=70

Thanks guys. I really think these numbers should be recorded. They can be used later on.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Doesn't Smash also have 256 passes if they sell out though?

I'm not sure what Tekken's cap was but I'm pretty sure Smash was 256

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Yea smash had a 256 cap but i thought i read that halo sold out. That means(if its true) that halo had 256 players.

Conti

Smash Ace
Halo normally brings about 1000+people.... I used to follow it... depending on how many teams attend. Normally between 200 and the cap of 256....

At m@v. Almost any halo team trying to win has a coach... in halo its a necessity because a coach sees all 4 players screens of the team... therefore can see almost exactly what's going on, can help callout other players positions on the map (helps a lot) keeps the team focus'd, weapon tracking is his main job... in halo the power weapons and custom powerup are set on certain glitched respawn times... custom powerup is 2min, rockets are loke 3min with a 4 second delay and the snipers are 2;30 with 4 sec delays but a good coach will keep track if the glitch time gets "dirty" which is when the weapon got picked up before touching the ground from its "drop spawn" and delays the spawntime next drop by 30secs to a min... and help keep the team on track with timing overall cuz it cud screw u over if u get there too early cuz then ur a sitting duck waiting on a wep spawn... he pretty much keeps the teams mindset straight and adds a 3rd demension to a haloteam...
Lol I just rambled but id say 3/4s of halo teams utilize a coach including pros.... so yeah lots of ppl go for halo.

At whoever asked about amateur teams... there are like a lot of amateur teams... like ovr a 1000 forsure.... top16 are pro, most likely have full sponserships to all mlg events and top8 win money and normally they don't play other tournaments then mlg cuz they just practice for the next mlg event [cuz prizes r banging as u saw]... top32 just means ur semipro, that ur amoung the best in the world... semi's go to mlg to get known and hope to go pro... they normally find sponsers easy aswell, and win local and regional tournaments like its a ic slapping gannon...
Amateur teams are players that go for the mlg experiance much like majority of the brawls top like 49 in a regular national [cuz mlgs brackets where lamee] and lower... like they didn't expect to win but go for the practice and experiance... am teams r still good n win or do well in local/regionals as well....
I just realized I read what u said wrong...
AM teams play thru the "open bracket" which is a huge bracket... and if u make it thru the 8 rounds or whatever u advance into the championship bracket where ur seeded against semipro teams and pretty much get r4ped... am teams never win... maybe they place top 16 but almost nvr top8..... [I think 1 time]

Rekeah

Smash Apprentice
Halo normally brings about 1000+people.... I used to follow it... depending on how many teams attend. Normally between 200 and the cap of 256....

At m@v. Almost any halo team trying to win has a coach... in halo its a necessity because a coach sees all 4 players screens of the team... therefore can see almost exactly what's going on, can help callout other players positions on the map (helps a lot) keeps the team focus'd, weapon tracking is his main job... in halo the power weapons and custom powerup are set on certain glitched respawn times... custom powerup is 2min, rockets are loke 3min with a 4 second delay and the snipers are 2;30 with 4 sec delays but a good coach will keep track if the glitch time gets "dirty" which is when the weapon got picked up before touching the ground from its "drop spawn" and delays the spawntime next drop by 30secs to a min... and help keep the team on track with timing overall cuz it cud screw u over if u get there too early cuz then ur a sitting duck waiting on a wep spawn... he pretty much keeps the teams mindset straight and adds a 3rd demension to a haloteam...
Lol I just rambled but id say 3/4s of halo teams utilize a coach including pros.... so yeah lots of ppl go for halo.

At whoever asked about amateur teams... there are like a lot of amateur teams... like ovr a 1000 forsure.... top16 are pro, most likely have full sponserships to all mlg events and top8 win money and normally they don't play other tournaments then mlg cuz they just practice for the next mlg event [cuz prizes r banging as u saw]... top32 just means ur semipro, that ur amoung the best in the world... semi's go to mlg to get known and hope to go pro... they normally find sponsers easy aswell, and win local and regional tournaments like its a ic slapping gannon...
Amateur teams are players that go for the mlg experiance much like majority of the brawls top like 49 in a regular national [cuz mlgs brackets where lamee] and lower... like they didn't expect to win but go for the practice and experiance... am teams r still good n win or do well in local/regionals as well....
I just realized I read what u said wrong...
AM teams play thru the "open bracket" which is a huge bracket... and if u make it thru the 8 rounds or whatever u advance into the championship bracket where ur seeded against semipro teams and pretty much get r4ped... am teams never win... maybe they place top 16 but almost nvr top8..... [I think 1 time]
lol I knew halo was complicated but when I start hearing things about a coach and what not... WTF. I mean, I had no idea halo can be such a complicated game, though. And what would it even take to become a coach? He must be good as well to memorize spawn times and whatever else he's meant to do.

Tokyoinamerica

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tokyodown
Halo is not complicated all you need to know is when weapons spawn, and players. They really don't need coaches.

Have those Halo players read frames then talk to me.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Guys, it really isn't that hard.

If you are counting teams are individuals, there were less than the maximum participants because Halo did not sell out. No game did.

I would say Smash and Halo were roughly the same in participants (comparing Halo 4v4 and Smash 1v1), as both were about 200. Tekken came in third with the least amount.

Including everybody, Halo probably had more people if you include coaches and spectators, which really isn't much of a fair comparison because Smash doesn't have as many coaches, if any at all, and Smash had less room for a crowd.

Conti

Smash Ace
Also since halo's online scene is huge like id say 25times bigger than smash... like there are lots of online players who are waiting to step up to the mlg pedalstal that watch live stream and stuff I'm almost positive last year mlg dallas had like a million online viewers its huge...

And take it from me... a coach is viable part of a team... he does a lot more than what you think... and halo is not just run and gun... there are mindgames [mlg plays no radar... u can fake out your opponents to where you went, and do stuff], predicting your opponent, "spacing" (a team push on one side of the level), understanding player respawn areas and when they will spawn, decision making... a bunch of propertys of competetive brawl and more... the game has just as much if not more depth than brawl and top 8 teams such as str8 rippin, td, instinct ect all use coachs... like I really am sorry to say... but smash's competetive scene is like an ant to halos.... they overpower us in numbers but if we can rep big numbers at mlg hopefully brawl will be a great secondary game for mlg and stay on the ciruit for a couple years... 2-3 like melee probly...

And yeah halo is team based... but even if you compair 1 team to one brawl player, they still outnumber us by a great amount...

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Also since halo's online scene is huge like id say 25times bigger than smash... like there are lots of online players who are waiting to step up to the mlg pedalstal that watch live stream and stuff I'm almost positive last year mlg dallas had like a million online viewers its huge...
True, though not really fair in Smash's end because of Wifi's crappyness.

And take it from me... a coach is viable part of a team... he does a lot more than what you think... and halo is not just run and gun... there are mindgames [mlg plays no radar... u can fake out your opponents to where you went, and do stuff], predicting your opponent, "spacing" (a team push on one side of the level), understanding player respawn areas and when they will spawn, decision making... a bunch of propertys of competetive brawl and more... the game has just as much if not more depth than brawl and top 8 teams such as str8 rippin, td, instinct ect all use coachs... like I really am sorry to say... but smash's competetive scene is like an ant to halos.... they overpower us in numbers but if we can rep big numbers at mlg hopefully brawl will be a great secondary game for mlg and stay on the ciruit for a couple years... 2-3 like melee probly...
Both Halo and Smash are equally complex, just in different ways. While I do agree that coaches will always have importance in Halo, on another note, the competitive scene for Halo isn't as big as you say. Halo is essentially limited to MLG and the US. Halo is only big in MLG and the US, unlike many other games (namely fighters, which are competitive in more than one country, usually).

And yeah halo is team based... but even if you compair 1 team to one brawl player, they still outnumber us by a great amount...
Possibly, but both communities have both top players/teams and unknown players/teams. You really can't measure it.

Conti

Smash Ace
Yea... wifi ruined brawls online, mlg is only US but its only scene is why its so big... being one of the top games on xbox live... there aren't as many offline locals as compaired to smash... its more just straight mlg practice cuz in halo that's all that matters... every1 plays competetive plays to be good at mlg. (Bungie even recognized how big mlg is and created the MLG Playlist in matchmaking...)
Your right I can't measure it but I just feel even though I like brawl more than halo.. halos communities outnumber us.... but it shudnt matter. We play smash for smash so no matter how big we get... it only matters to us...
And only reason I feel halo has more depth is because there's a lot goingg on at one moment in thegame and it takes a lot of thinking ...

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Coaching is extremely important to Halo. A coach keeps track of things so that players can focus better and a coach helps his team focus and keep their cool and make sure people are keeping with their strat and so forth, as well as keeping track of everything going on and making sure everybody knows what's up.

Also, MLG is the ONLY tournament for most people. There are some locals and stuff, but for the most part, people only play for MLG. MLG signs it's top 16 teams and they can only play in MLG-sanctioned tourneys. I hope they don't try to do this for Brawl, because that would mean that either we don't see any of the top players at other nationals, or any tournaments for that matter, or we see people that aren't the best in the world winning MLG, which would probably lead to the dropping of Brawl from the circuit.

They didn't do that with Melee and I don't think they'll do it with Brawl.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I was informed that none of the events capped, but Brawl had more players than Halo had teams. Overall, this was a relatively empty MLG from what I heard, though it was my first one, so I wouldn't know.

affinityy

Smash Rookie
Halo had 104 Amateur teams plus the 16 top seeded teams, so Halo had a total of 120 teams.

Brawl had 183 or 184 players.

Tekken had 64 players.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Affinity hit the nail on the head.

As for Smash being 183 or 184: There were under a handful of people who signed up at the door. I did not take their registration (JV did). At one point I thought the bracket was done with 183, but I remember (vaguely) JV putting one more person in as a late registrat (so it would be 184). However many names are in the results thread is how many there were officially (since it was the list of every entrant).

I'm actually very impressed with Affinity because most people are clueless when it comes to numbers, so getting the numbers more or less right for all three games is nice work.

In terms of % of cap:
Smash 183/256 = 71.4%
Halo 104/256 = 40.6%
Tekken 64/128 = 50%

Halo though at a minimun had 416 players, probably closer to 500 since almost every single team will have a coach. Throw in the 16 pro teams and you can add another 80 players to that total (every pro team has a coach I believe, so 64 + 16).

The best any Halo team has done coming from Open bracket is 3rd place.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Very interesting info, especially that on halo coaches. I really appreciate how their league is set up. Columbus will be very interesting. I don't know about Tekken and Halo, but I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that Smash will hit the cap.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I agree with Chibo about Brawl probably hitting the cap. Columbus is in a more optimal location than Orlando for the most amount of Smash players to attend.

sambo400

Smash Apprentice
This was a relatively empty MLG event for 2 reasons. They had just played their last tournament in Orlando in January, and Florida is in a corner of the country.

Columbus should be much bigger and better, for the sole purpose that I live there. Seriously though, people from the south, midwest, east coast, northeast, and Canada cal all make a reasonable drive to Ohio.

Also, Orland was during school. I don't know how all those people manage to miss school and drive to Florida. Columbus is summertime for most people, so more people can go.

Halo always brings the most people. They make the most money off of it. I'm just glad to see Brawl players having fun and being recognized.

M@v

Subarashii!
Affinity hit the nail on the head.

As for Smash being 183 or 184: There were under a handful of people who signed up at the door. I did not take their registration (JV did). At one point I thought the bracket was done with 183, but I remember (vaguely) JV putting one more person in as a late registrat (so it would be 184). However many names are in the results thread is how many there were officially (since it was the list of every entrant).

I'm actually very impressed with Affinity because most people are clueless when it comes to numbers, so getting the numbers more or less right for all three games is nice work.

In terms of % of cap:
Smash 183/256 = 71.4%
Halo 104/256 = 40.6%
Tekken 64/128 = 50%

Halo though at a minimun had 416 players, probably closer to 500 since almost every single team will have a coach. Throw in the 16 pro teams and you can add another 80 players to that total (every pro team has a coach I believe, so 64 + 16).

The best any Halo team has done coming from Open bracket is 3rd place.

Well there's the answer to this thread. Smash had the biggest attendance.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
In terms of cap percentage, but in terms of actual people, there were more than twice as many Halo heads as there were Brawlers. If you guys really care about that, then STEP IT UP AND COME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom