• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Smashboards Questions Thread. Ask site-related questions here. (Staff answers preferred)

thedocsalive

Smash Ace
I like the new logo in the upper left with E3 on it. But since this is a questions/suggestions thread...
Why not choose a character more representative of Smash than the Ice Climbers? I like the Ice Climbers, but I feel that a number of characters represent Smash better than them. Unless, you're considering at the fact that there's two of them, and this site is about "Wii" now. :)

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
Attn: Matt. I haven't been warned in ages and I kind of miss that beautiful sting.
P.S. I am very fond of curling.

Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Bahamut3585
Not really for normal users, no. Mods can do it, but in reality it's just easier for you to simply edit your post and delete what you said.

FUN FACT: You could actually type "never mind." and it would fit in the 10 character limit.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
How about having avatars from third party games such as Halo? I mean if people can choose from Final Fantasy games, toilet paper, a rat who got ran over, and a dog saying quack, then how about some Xbox love? :) This would only seem appealing to the SWB members, and one of the above posters brought up a good point, I'm tired of seeing people post with the same avatar.

Not saying you guys are doing a bad job(SWB rocks :) ), just a reminder that there's always room for improvement.
-This message was brought to you by Captain Obvious McHat.

Variety for the automatic Holy Win.

Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Bahamut3585
We're currently looking over the avatars submitted in the Avatar Submissions thread which we opened a week or two ago and closed recently. There's a lot of variety in there. If you didn't submit one, then hopefully you'll find an avatar you like anyways.

Give us some time to put them up, though. We got a lot of response in a short amount of time.

Matt

Banned via Administration
Donkey Dong said:
Attn: Matt. I haven't been warned in ages and I kind of miss that beautiful sting.
P.S. I am very fond of curling.
Score!! Three points!

:pimp:

rounder_nk

Smash Ace
this might have been mentioned before but what exactly are referrals and what do they count for.

Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Bahamut3585
Referrals are when you refer someone to SWF. When a new member registers, there's a field where they can type in the screen name of whoever referred them here. Some forums/websites reward people for a certain amount of referrals. We don't, because it's an easy system to exploit. So in reality, it's nothing important.

rounder_nk

Smash Ace
Bahamut said:
Referrals are when you refer someone to SWF. When a new member registers, there's a field where they can type in the screen name of whoever referred them here. Some forums/websites reward people for a certain amount of referrals. We don't, because it's an easy system to exploit. So in reality, it's nothing important.
and by screen name you mean account name. There are two people on this site i know personally but since i never put in my screen name in the information section then they most likely guessed my account name (i'm infamous on more than one server :p).

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
What happened to the ole Official Revolution Smash Bros. thread? I've done some searches and can't find it anywhere. Was it deleted?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Got sent to the Rubbish Bin, because it sucked. :p

If you need something specific from it, PM me and I'll see if I can find it.

F8X

Smash Ace
What is the difference between rep you have received that is blue and rep that is green?

EDIT:I also have a suggestion,

Some time ago I found a sprite sheet of emoticons that had every ssbm characters, and some Items. Now I was wondering two things.
  • A. Can we upload these to the smiles data base
  • B. Some one once posted this
    Mud Buddha said:
    Under profile, there should be a combo box for selecting which Smash Character you play as.
    I thought that these emoticons would be a good way of saying this
You could do a similar situation with these emoticons like what you did with the BRoomers. Where there is a logo right below the users avatar. For example when your mouse is over the Grinmmer you see this
McFox is a BRoomer
I thought that you could do the same thing with mains so it would be like this when your mouse hovers over it
F8X mains Fox
There could be a thing like how the avatar selection is made where we just click and save so that in the future if we decided to change mains we could do it just as easily as changing our avatar.

I can help with the images since they need to be cut out if any one is willing to do this. I just though this would be a fun small add-on that could possibly be used in the future as well.
here is a link to the Smilies

EDIT2: Oh and McFox Geno is on this sprite sheet :chuckle:
If we decide to do this I only think it is fair to ask the creator first for permission.
Also I hope that this post does not seem demanding, it is a suggestion and nothing more.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Maybe the official forum rules thread sohuld be edited with info about reputation.

Sure rep's not that important but it would be nice to have a place to direct people who are curious about the reputation system.

Lange

Smash Journeyman
spam topics

Are spam topics/updated topics deleted off this site? If not is there a reason they aren't?

For a long while now I have noticed that all spam topics or inappropiate topics are always locked instead of deleted, is there a reason for this? Most fourms I go to lock topics, if they are information topics and not to be posted in, and delete spam topics. Is there a reason this isn't done on this site? I have thought that it might be the case that moderators donot have the tools to delte topics, but what about the site administrators?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
We can delete topics, but choose not to for archival purposes. Plus, when you delete a topic, you're deleting every post in that topic, which lowers people's post counts. That's the reason the Rubbish Bin was created.

F8X, we've heard that idea before, but with the recent showing of Brawl, our priorities got switched around a little recently. :p We're still thinking about that.

And yeah, we should probably update about rep, even though nobody reads the rules anyway.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Technically no one atm, though McFox, Gideon, Amo and Kirby King would certainly be concidered senators.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Right. So far, I've been the only Senator member who wasn't an Admin at the same time. But now I am an Admin, so we currently have no members who are Senators but not Admins.

F8X

Smash Ace
Can you make an announcement or sticky in the tournament discussion section that would have the some FAQ about tournaments and their rules?
I always wondered why there was never one there. It could help a little with the spam in the MDR.

rounder_nk

Smash Ace
why is it that the smash debater color is light pink. This color isn't noticeable in the least and should at least be changed to a darker shade of pink. Maybe a light blue or green (neon greenish). The current light pink just doesn't seem to stick out that much. Unless there is a reasonable explanation.

Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Bahamut3585
F8X: Unless I'm misunderstanding your question, every tournament sets up its own individual rules. Posting a sticky about standardized rules across the board would be pointless, because every once in a while someone might not conform to the usual MLG ruleset.

rounder nk: The admins just have a strange sense of humor, that's all. If you aren't comfortable with pink, just do what I do: don't go into the Debate Hall. :)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Actually the colour was debated in the Hall and general consensus at the time was Pink was the winner.

Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Bahamut3585
Smash n00b: 0 - 99 posts
Smash Journeyman: 100 - 499 posts
Smash Apprentice: 500 - 999 posts
Smash Lord: 1000+ posts

The other titles come with being a member of certain groups. For example, if you were interested in the Debate Hall and got into it, and you changed your group membership in your User CP to reflect that, then you'd be a Smash Debator. There are other special names like this; look around the site and you'll see them.

To be honest, the ranks have absolutely no meaning whatsoever. There are quality posters and excellent Smashers out there who are under 100 posts, so they're classified as 'Smash n00bs'. The reverse is also true: we unfortunately have a few morons who spam up the boards just to get 1000 posts, but barely have a decent post to their name.

Bottom line: the ranks are just decoration. They don't matter much.

ROBERT2K95

Smash Apprentice
Bahamut said:
Smash n00b: 0 - 99 posts
Smash Journeyman: 100 - 499 posts
Smash Apprentice: 500 - 999 posts
Smash Lord: 1000+ posts

The other titles come with being a member of certain groups. For example, if you were interested in the Debate Hall and got into it, and you changed your group membership in your User CP to reflect that, then you'd be a Smash Debator. There are other special names like this; look around the site and you'll see them.

To be honest, the ranks have absolutely no meaning whatsoever. There are quality posters and excellent Smashers out there who are under 100 posts, so they're classified as 'Smash n00bs'. The reverse is also true: we unfortunately have a few morons who spam up the boards just to get 1000 posts, but barely have a decent post to their name.

Thanks for answering :)

rounder_nk

Smash Ace
Bahamut said:
rounder nk: The admins just have a strange sense of humor, that's all. If you aren't comfortable with pink, just do what I do: don't go into the Debate Hall. :)

why is it that the smash debater color is light pink. This color isn't noticeable in the least and should at least be changed to a darker shade of pink. Maybe a light blue or green (neon greenish). The current light pink just doesn't seem to stick out that much. Unless there is a reasonable explanation.
so in short it i'm obviously uncomforatable with pink. That's why i don't use it in my name.

Uncle Meat

Smash Champion
Bahamut said:

What's wrong with the world, mama
People livin' like they ain't got no mamas
I think the whole world addicted to the drama
Only attracted to things that'll bring you trauma
Overseas, yeah, we try to stop terrorism
But we still got terrorists here livin'
In the USA, the big CIA
The Bloods and The Crips and the KKK
But if you only have love for your own race
Then you only leave space to discriminate
And to discriminate only generates hate
And when you hate then you're bound to get irate, yeah
Madness is what you demonstrate
And that's exactly how anger works and operates
Man, you gotta have love just to set it straight
Take control of your mind and meditate
Let your soul gravitate to the love, y'all, y'all

People killin', people dyin'
Children hurt and you hear them cryin'
Can you practice what you preach
And would you turn the other cheek

Father, Father, Father help us
Send us some guidance from above
'Cause people got me, got me questionin'
Where is the love (Love)

Where is the love (The love)
Where is the love (The love)
Where is the love
The love, the love

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
There's also Smash Master at 3000 posts, but everyone I've seen with that number has gotten themselves a custom title.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
rounder_nk said:
so in short it i'm obviously uncomforatable with pink. That's why i don't use it in my name.
I don't see how having a pick name is uncomfortable. But I am open for suggestions on a new color. Just keep in mind it was almost unanimous when voted on.

Also, you don't have to flag yourself as a Debater, but rather just a regular member.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Crimson King said:
I don't see how having a pick name is uncomfortable. But I am open for suggestions on a new color. Just keep in mind it was almost unanimous when voted on.

Also, you don't have to flag yourself as a Debater, but rather just a regular member.
I like the pink color. It's not that bad. How about these two colors, Lightblue/Cyan?

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
dr.neo said:
Why dont you be thankful for the color that you got? Some of us arent as lucky.
Who are you talking to? I'm just responding to his wondering. It's a simple suggestion, no one here is complaining but you.<_<

D-20 Dice

Smash Ace
Mic_Fox said:
Actually the colour was debated in the Hall and general consensus at the time was Pink was the winner.
*Points to JesusFreak and UmbreonMow*

What's the point of the BRoom?

Top Bottom