• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashers are Too Good @ MvC3

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yea... sometimes... crap :(

i did get a lucky dizzy with one of hsien ko's projectiles and won an anchor battle vs dormammu though. SHOUTOUTS TO LUCK

a lot of people like to snap hsien ko in cuz they dont wanna deal with the assist lol. but i think it's fine to leave her last and instead learn to deal with the assist. she is the worst anchor in the game.

UNLESS U GET LUCKY DIZZY

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
yea... sometimes... crap :(

i did get a lucky dizzy with one of hsien ko's projectiles and won an anchor battle vs dormammu though. SHOUTOUTS TO LUCK

a lot of people like to snap hsien ko in cuz they dont wanna deal with the assist lol. but i think it's fine to leave her last and instead learn to deal with the assist. she is the worst anchor in the game.

UNLESS U GET LUCKY DIZZY
She's too slow to do anything as anchor lol.

so how do you handle x-factor when you can never really have max time if they just leave hsienko alive at third?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i try to use level 2 x factor strider with her gold assist

having lvl 2 x factor ouroburos with gold hsien ko assist is my favorite thing in the game.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
that does sound pretty scary LOL

also, viscant announced that he'll be labbing it up with a new team. Who knows what to expect.

I honestly just hope he trains his Haggar and switches Phoenix with like Strider or something.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
If Viscant switches Phoenix for Strider he'll probably play him exactly the same. X-Factor 3 Oroboros, aka the only way most people play Strider.

I really want to see more point Strider just to see what people can do with him.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
If Viscant switches Phoenix for Strider he'll probably play him exactly the same. X-Factor 3 Oroboros, aka the only way most people play Strider.

I really want to see more point Strider just to see what people can do with him.
So? Strider is better than Phoenix for all purposes. Noel Brown is, imo, the most overrated player on the top of Marvel. He's good, sure, but he's not anything special. He showed that anyone can beat Phoenix if you play solidly. Meter building is hard, so snap her in and mix her up. If it doesn't work, snap her in again and mix her up again. There's only so often that you can be outguessed.

The hardest thing is getting the hit to snap her in, but you have to be hit pretty often yourself for your opponent to build enough bars anyway.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
clockwork has the best strider. the stuff he does right now is a good glimpse of what striders will look like in the future of the game. padtrick is also really good.

for my team, i'm looking for a really good point character. i'm looking for a solid character with a really strong neutral game, and preferrably one that can otg quickly off vajra's hard knockdown on reaction. so a reeeally quick otg. my team is _______, hsien ko, strider. i've been using x-23 only because i've been using her since day 1 in vanilla, but she doesn't fit well. she needs her own x-23 featured team. any suggestions for me?

my game plan is to try to secure the first hit and vajra helps me a lot. with vajra assist i don't have to take too many risks. build two meters in a combo and DHC to hsien ko. the super should preferrably give me enough time to tag strider in.

if i lose the first hit, i usually build two bars anyway and dhc from rimoukon to legion.

if hsien ko gets mixed up and dies, i have xf lvl 3 strider.

i think it's a pretty good game plan, but i can really solidify it with a point character.... which i haven't found yet!!! doom has worked out pretty well, but i've heard there are better point characters than him...?

also i don't want wesker :p

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Play Shuma-Gorath.
He's underrated as hell. He's in my second team lol

I play Dante/Taskmaster/Deadpool as team1, team merc lol. Deadpool Alpha Counter is really good and there's great synergy with assists and DHC and stuff. Also Dante gets touch of deaths without meter burn because of his perfect reset with the grapple and Deadpool assist and Taskmaster's webswing in combination with Deadpool is amazing.
I think this is the best composition for team Merc overall.

Team2 is Vergil/Shuma/Morrigan, I try to build meter with Vergil then get Morrigan in, having anchor Vergil and stuff. Shuma's full screen assist is amazing and Vergils slash is great too. I haven't played this team too often though and my xbox broke >_>

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Well for one his grab sucks meter which is swag in combination with Morrigans meter sucking grab :awesome:
Full screen supers.
A lvl3 super that can be made unblockable.
An assist that's full screen AND OTG (log trap on steroids, I swear)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha i see

i probably won't use him for aesthetic reasons LOL

so far i'm looking at doom, dante, or skrull for my point character.

X-23 / Hsien Ko / Strider
Doom / Hsien Ko / Strider
Dante / Hsien Ko / Strider
Skrull / Hsien Ko / Strider

hmm m hm hm hm m hm mhm m hmmmm!

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
haha i see

i probably won't use him for aesthetic reasons LOL

so far i'm looking at doom, dante, or skrull for my point character.

X-23 / Hsien Ko / Strider
Doom / Hsien Ko / Strider
Dante / Hsien Ko / Strider
Skrull / Hsien Ko / Strider

hmm m hm hm hm m hm mhm m hmmmm!
SCRUB

also, Skrull is a gimmick character. He'll drop in usage soon enough, really.

I would consider Doom/Dante indeed for the meter build and OTG.

Or Zero.
Vajra into Lightning Loops OHKO :awesome:

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lmao. couldve called me a scrub already for using hsien ko but AIGHT

yea i cant see myself relying on point skrull gimmicks. alright... i like dante or doom

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
So uh Goggles I'd like to note that at the tournament you went to OMG itz Andre made top 5, and Mike Ross made top 8.

Your result is officially invalid
You don't understand how incredibly painful it was to see mike ross in top 8

I also MMd andre twice and and got sucked into the 'andre vortex' and dropped a lot of combos when I should have beaten him. He's very good though.

:phone:

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
Doom and Dante work very well with Strider. I don't know how well Strider can help Vergil when Vajra hard knocks down the opponent and Vergil can't really do much out his own OTG.

TL?

Smash Ace
Doom and Dante work very well with Strider. I don't know how well Strider can help Vergil when Vajra hard knocks down the opponent and Vergil can't really do much out his own OTG.
Maybe vergil doesn't make the most of Vajra assist, but trust me it works(I've been using that combination lately). Vergil gets a full combo off of it if it hits a standing/crouching opponent. On hard knockdown you can xfactor cancel and get a full kill combo and ussually kill with no meter and then get an x factor mixup on the incoming character. :bee:

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
That's true I suppose. I actually think that's the best use of X-Factor and since his X-Factor bonuses are so strong and his mixup is really good, it makes more sense now.

clowsui

Smash Legend
You don't understand how incredibly painful it was to see mike ross in top 8

I also MMd andre twice and and got sucked into the 'andre vortex' and dropped a lot of combos when I should have beaten him. He's very good though.

lmao I was mostly trolling anyways. Andre is good when he doesn't drop his sht

NNID
Budget_Player
clockwork has the best strider. the stuff he does right now is a good glimpse of what striders will look like in the future of the game. padtrick is also really good.
Got any vids? I'd love to see this. ^^

for my team, i'm looking for a really good point character. i'm looking for a solid character with a really strong neutral game, and preferrably one that can otg quickly off vajra's hard knockdown on reaction. so a reeeally quick otg. my team is _______, hsien ko, strider. i've been using x-23 only because i've been using her since day 1 in vanilla, but she doesn't fit well. she needs her own x-23 featured team. any suggestions for me?

my game plan is to try to secure the first hit and vajra helps me a lot. with vajra assist i don't have to take too many risks. build two meters in a combo and DHC to hsien ko. the super should preferrably give me enough time to tag strider in.

if i lose the first hit, i usually build two bars anyway and dhc from rimoukon to legion.

if hsien ko gets mixed up and dies, i have xf lvl 3 strider.

i think it's a pretty good game plan, but i can really solidify it with a point character.... which i haven't found yet!!! doom has worked out pretty well, but i've heard there are better point characters than him...?

also i don't want wesker :p
Chok. Play virgil

I was about to say this... Huge normals, decent meter-building, I can imagine pretty good synergy with Vajra... Plus, he's just, you know, really good.

TL?

Smash Ace
For you x23 team, vergil and nova work really well with her. Rapid slash or Centurian Rush give her a nice damage relaunch combo. Spiral swords and nova's supers are strong DHCs too. Pick one of those two and a nice beam or projectile assist.

Here's a few more suggestions for your strider team that make great use of vajra:
Viper
Morrigan
Chris
Deadpool
Modok

Doom would really be the obvious choice. Guy builds up so much meter and deals nice damage after a Strider assist. Doom also has an easier time confirming off the assist, and compared to Dante, easier to use. He also has more health than Dante, so he'll survive more combos. I don't see how Skrull would maximize the use of Hsien's, think drones is better for the guy.

FALCOMIST

Smash Ace
@Choknator, Norcal is like the home of vajra assist... you too? loool. I forgot what team you played when I played you at NCR. You should try to get in contact with HellaHellaStyle, He plays a she-hulk, Hsien-Ko, Magneto team. His Hsien-ko is pretty good, maybe u might learn some stuff from him.

Anyways... with Vajra assist? I think pointing wesker/doom/dante would be good since they benefit off from vajra a lot... or if u can try... Captain america? You can do like vajra into low shield slash to OTG and it allows you to use captain america roll for mix-up potential. Also, since u like a strong ground game, Captain has a very strong with frame trap normals and he leads into big damage.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
so Im thinking of changing my team around.

Phoenix Wright/???/Trish

??? is either Taskmaster or Rocket Raccoon at this point. not sure which I want more.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
captain, eh? i never thought of that one.

i'm going to be experimenting a lot, thanks all for the suggestions. i'm leaning toward doom right now hehe

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
so Im thinking of changing my team around.

Phoenix Wright/???/Trish

??? is either Taskmaster or Rocket Raccoon at this point. not sure which I want more.
I personally think you'd be better off with Taskmaster. He gives that team health and some good damage output that it would lack with RR. However, Log Trap assist can be great as you can frustrate players trying to get in on Wright while you collect evidence.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Either way.

Peekaboo + Maya shield could be useful against rushdown and careless teleporting. Taskmaster is pretty easy to use and his horizontal shot assist is solid. Not much more I can say beyond what Torr said about health and damage

Log trap + Maya shield does the same thing as Peekaboo + Maya shield, but it protects more area. The only problem is that if you're gonna put Rocky as your battery, you better know how to play him and play him well. He's definitely a lot harder to use than Taskmaster and does far less damage.

Fortunately, if you put in the work and make Rocky a strong character, the team would synergize well. Rocky's Mad Hopper and Rock n Roll are great things to DHC into AND out of, regardless of whether it's Trish or PW doing it. You could potentially set up unblockables or really ambiguous mix-ups with Trish's Round Harvest; I'm not so sure what Wright can do with this, but I know Rocky can take advantage of this in a HUGE way. And while Trish has low-ish damage output for an anchor, she makes up for it by being able to really lame it out.

There's probably a few things I'm missing here in technical detail or density of info, but meh. I'm tired. Hope that helps, Stingers.

I can add more info later, like frame data and stuff, if you like.

Smooth Criminal

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I have no problem with a long haul grind to be good with the character. I just want to optimize a PW team. And I think the THC based teams are gimmicks in the long run, I want to be able to hit objection without meter. and I think these guys have arguably the best 2 assists for the job.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Well, you have to be aware of what your team is capable of. I'm just making you aware of some of the things you can do with a PW/RR/Trish team. Optimizing PW is well and fine, but you're going to need to be handy with your other two characters as well.

IMO, THC teams in UMvC3 aren't "gimmicky." Some characters like Frank actually benefit greatly from THCing. PW does as well, although not to the same extent.

Smooth Criminal

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Use MODOK with the shield assist and double shield :troll:
ngl, I actually ran this for awhile. But that was because I played MODOK in vanilla and actually had a good understanding of the char already. It doesnt work, btw XD

Top Bottom