• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMASHERS UNITE! ... in Celebration. Brawl is Online, and I'm just paranoid ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentalish

Smash Lord
somone should do this for Diddy Kong

because for u people NOT PAYING ATTENTION to the nintendo conference when there talking about online...

it was on the screen for like 20 seconds

Elysium

Smash Lord
correct me if I'm wrong be wasn't this spoken about before? Didn't they say that those were just pictures of their upcoming game, not the online games. At least thats what I think I remember reading.
Though if Wise made a topic of his concerns, I don't think he would have overlooked that.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
somone should do this for Diddy Kong

because for u people NOT PAYING ATTENTION to the nintendo conference when there talking about online...

it was on the screen for like 20 seconds
Thank you. I am aware that Brawl was on the big screen for a few seconds - as were Prime 3 and Umbrella Chronicles (clearly visable to the left) which are not online. That, in and of itself is not confirmation that the game is online.

Ummmm, call me crazy, but they somewhat did say that online was confirmed. well, not said, but shown.... In the part where they were rambling on about online play, in the backy screen thing, it showed images of six games, one being brawl... thus somewhat with a wink wink nudge nudge, say no more, they hinted brawls online abilitah... drik out.
They could very well have been hinting that. But why would they do that with Brawl (they biggest game of the year) when they clearly desperate for any examples of their comitment to online play? Sounds fishy to me...

Hey wiseguy are you going to send the petition through the mail or email to nintendo?
E-mail, I think (when and if we get enough signatures). Why, do you think normal mails would be better?

correct me if I'm wrong be wasn't this spoken about before? Didn't they say that those were just pictures of their upcoming game, not the online games. At least thats what I think I remember reading.
Though if Wise made a topic of his concerns, I don't think he would have overlooked that.
My point exactly.

Level 9

Smash Apprentice
Well I don't know if it's been brought up before or not but what the heck... Here's my 2 cent peace...

I think theres not been much talk over it because the wi-fi stuff Nintendo's promoteing left & right is a technical impossibility for Brawl... Mind you that's just a gross speculateon based on my experience's with online net-pay...

But if my beefy (thogh now dead) PC could barley handle a fully stabe & perfectly emulated game like SSB64 offline, online over a dsl 1.5mb LAN connection...

Somehow I kinda doubt even with the absence of a OS, A fast paced eye-candy filled game like Brawl would work well enough on something slower like wi-fi going around 700k to 1mb tops...

That aside, It wouldn't nessasaraly cut online out altogether for Brawl... But I doubt Nintendo would be willingly going around telling there consumers that they will NEED the Wii LAN-adaptor if they wish to play online...

My guess is there still trying to make WI-FI work before they announce anything final to the public...

Adi

Smash Lord
Hmm, I don't know why SSB64 is working so badly with a computer like that. I use a crappy laptop with Wi-Fi connection and I get very good ping rates (~100)

Level 9

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, I don't know why SSB64 is working so badly with a computer like that. I use a crappy laptop with Wi-Fi connection and I get very good ping rates (~100)
:urg:

Dude... That's not funny... That... Can't be true... That's... Impossible... (mind shatters)

Well... It would seem that mine was just a bad case then...

Great... Well... Now I got nothin... And now I am worded about Brawl not being online... :dizzy:

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Just to clear up any lingering doubts as to whether Nintendo confirmed Brawl to be online at their E3 Press Conferance: they didn't.

Here's Nintendo's official website: http://e3.nintendo.com/wii.html

Those who follow the links should note that Mario Kart, Mario Strikers and Zelda: Phantom Hourglass are clearly listed as using Nintendo's Wi-fi connection. There is no mention of wi-fi multiplayer being implemented in Super Smash Bros Brawl.

Be afraid. Be VERY afraid.

Level 9

Smash Apprentice
AHHHHH!!!!

Seriously thogh.... I am starting worry now...

Im hoping that there just haveing some small technical problems and that's it...

But You're right... even tough we have a few months left it's already kinda late in the game to not be giving people a clear yay or nay answer on something like this...

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
AHHHHH!!!!

Seriously thogh.... I am starting worry now...

Im hoping that there just haveing some small technical problems and that's it...

But You're right... even tough we have a few months left it's already kinda late in the game to not be giving people a clear yay or nay answer on something like this...
I really, really hope Nintendo gives all the time Sakurai needs to include online. The Wii's lineup is plenty strong this fall even without Brawl (with Prime 3, Galaxy, Battaleon Wars, Fire Emblem, Umbrella Chronicles, etc.) so I think gamers can afford to wait a few more months if it means we'll get the true, online Smash Bros we all desire.

By the way guys, we just passed 200 signatures! Well done.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
whoot 200. my only guess to why online mode wasn't announced is because they only have as much information as Sakurai tells them. Sakurai told them a date and gave them a video. that was it. he doesn't want to give too much info, he wants to surprise us with surprising new online info on his website.

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
whoot 200. my only guess to why online mode wasn't announced is because they only have as much information as Sakurai tells them. Sakurai told them a date and gave them a video. that was it. he doesn't want to give too much info, he wants to surprise us with surprising new online info on his website.
yea this makes sense...it could have very well been the case...but i wish they wouldnt leave us hanging on the confirmation

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
It might would be crazy if Nintendo says

"All thanks to (Wise Guys real name) I guess we have to make Brawl ONLINE!"

"Oh, and Brawl will be out 2009 to make all this possible"

Would you mind if it came out 2009 for Online? I wouldn't

PikachuSSBM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tsuzama
imagine right if brawl WAS coming out for 2009, id say SCREW IT, there will be loads of other games that will surpass Brawl.
you know it!.
I Think pikachu should be a bit heavyer and his final smash stronggg as hell!
BUTTT, i want online so bad id sell my gamecube and 60 games for it! (if it doesnt come as online)

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Just to clear up any lingering doubts as to whether Nintendo confirmed Brawl to be online at their E3 Press Conferance: they didn't.

Those who follow the links should note that Mario Kart, Mario Strikers and Zelda: Phantom Hourglass are clearly listed as using Nintendo's Wi-fi connection. There is no mention of wi-fi multiplayer being implemented in Super Smash Bros Brawl.

There's no mention of much of anything being implemented on there. No mention of multiplayer what-so-ever. Same with the Nintendo.com profile for the game. In fact, on there it simply says "Release Date: Announced". It gives the same sort of rather vague description as the E3 page does and then points you to the Dojo.

Same thing as with E3: a rather vague touching on the game. Reggie mentions Giga Bowser and the four control schemes and shows a trailer that is merely stuff we've known about in motion. The only thing new was the release date and the easily missable cameo of DK. Ten hours later the Dojo updates with this info and more (the conference took place at, like, 3 in the morning JST so they updated early so it'd be there when they got home from school, work etc.). Interviews pop up asking about SSBB's lacking presense at E3 to which they say "It's not part of what we wanted to show yadda yadda yadda stay tuned to the website" they ask about online play to which they respond "we can't comment on anything, stay tuned to the website"...

E3 passes and we get new magazine scans of SMG from Japan. In those scans...new info about the story and such. A couple days ago a Sony conference was held in which they made new game announcements and, and this is the crazy one, showed a playable version of MGS4 on stage, something they didn't do for the next killer app for their system at E3. SSBB scans come out...it's a recap of what's been revealed on the Dojo since the last issue And, since E3, we've gotten new info on the site, anyway. What's all this mean? I don't think E3's as important as people still believe it to be.

At E3, the furthest game in the future that was shown was Mario Kart Wii, I believe. And I don't recall anything being shown that fits in between that and SSBB. My guess for why they didn't show is the reason you think they should have: It's their biggest game of the year. They wanted to focus on the games coming out between now and SSBB (which has been rumored to have its own event sometime in the near future as well as the fact that it's been getting a constant flow of information for two months now). SSBB being playable and being online would overshadow the 3rd party online games that they seem to want to push as those have been the ones struggling in the past. So, they decided to give those the limelight in the time between now and when a couple of them come out...at least that's my extended take on it.

Breakfast

Smash Apprentice
positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
It might would be crazy if Nintendo says

"All thanks to (Wise Guys real name) I guess we have to make Brawl ONLINE!"

"Oh, and Brawl will be out 2009 to make all this possible"

Would you mind if it came out 2009 for Online? I wouldn't
A 2009 release would seriously depress me, but an online-less Brawl even more so.

I hope Nintendo singled me out, that would be awesome (and HIGHLY unlikely), but I hope I'm not credited with delaying the game until 2009. That would make me the most hated peron in the Smash Community...
;)

imagine right if brawl WAS coming out for 2009, id say SCREW IT, there will be loads of other games that will surpass Brawl.
you know it!.
I Think pikachu should be a bit heavyer and his final smash stronggg as hell!
BUTTT, i want online so bad id sell my gamecube and 60 games for it! (if it doesnt come as online)
There are alot of games coming out, so I could live with a delay if I had to. But 2009? That seems a bit extreme. I'd expect a delay until late 2008 at the very latest (if a delay is even on the table...)

There's no mention of much of anything being implemented on there. No mention of multiplayer what-so-ever. Same with the Nintendo.com profile for the game. In fact, on there it simply says "Release Date: Announced". It gives the same sort of rather vague description as the E3 page does and then points you to the Dojo.

Same thing as with E3: a rather vague touching on the game. Reggie mentions Giga Bowser and the four control schemes and shows a trailer that is merely stuff we've known about in motion. The only thing new was the release date and the easily missable cameo of DK. Ten hours later the Dojo updates with this info and more (the conference took place at, like, 3 in the morning JST so they updated early so it'd be there when they got home from school, work etc.). Interviews pop up asking about SSBB's lacking presense at E3 to which they say "It's not part of what we wanted to show yadda yadda yadda stay tuned to the website" they ask about online play to which they respond "we can't comment on anything, stay tuned to the website"...

E3 passes and we get new magazine scans of SMG from Japan. In those scans...new info about the story and such. A couple days ago a Sony conference was held in which they made new game announcements and, and this is the crazy one, showed a playable version of MGS4 on stage, something they didn't do for the next killer app for their system at E3. SSBB scans come out...it's a recap of what's been revealed on the Dojo since the last issue And, since E3, we've gotten new info on the site, anyway. What's all this mean? I don't think E3's as important as people still believe it to be.

At E3, the furthest game in the future that was shown was Mario Kart Wii, I believe. And I don't recall anything being shown that fits in between that and SSBB. My guess for why they didn't show is the reason you think they should have: It's their biggest game of the year. They wanted to focus on the games coming out between now and SSBB (which has been rumored to have its own event sometime in the near future as well as the fact that it's been getting a constant flow of information for two months now). SSBB being playable and being online would overshadow the 3rd party online games that they seem to want to push as those have been the ones struggling in the past. So, they decided to give those the limelight in the time between now and when a couple of them come out...at least that's my extended take on it.
The way I see it, there were two kinds of press at the Nintendo conferance: those for whom Brawl's online multiplayer was old news and those who didn't give a flying fart about Super Smash Bros. I don't see how the fact that Super Smash Bros Brawl is online (not any more details, but just a statement reconfirming this reality) would have overshadowed anything. Nintendo has promised that this game would be online since the day was announced. It is not a secret. And yet EVERY GAME at the show that had online multiplayer was confirmed and reconfirmed as such - except Brawl.

I want to believe what you are saying, but how would old news like Brawl's multiplayer have oversahdowed other games any less than the revelation of an all new Mario Kart with 4+ online multiplayer?

positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts positive thoughts
I singed it
Thanks for the valiant effort Breakfast, but the only the confirmation of Brawl's online multiplayer willbut my mind at ease.

Elysium

Smash Lord
I need to stop visiting this thread. I always get worried when I do.
I don't know though, maybe they're starting to release some of the bigger aspects of the game now (lastest update anyone) so maybe they'll give us some information on Online soon.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I need to stop visiting this thread. I always get worried when I do.
I don't know though, maybe they're starting to release some of the bigger aspects of the game now (lastest update anyone) so maybe they'll give us some information on Online soon.
Yeah, I was hoping for some hint of an online mode in today's update, but no such luck. Maybe one of next week's updates will prove my concerns unjustified.

Midna

Smash Apprentice
I'd be pissed if Brawl was delayed till '09 for Online play.
I'd sbe glad to buy the game today even if it didn't have online play. I don't see what's the big deal about all this online crap anyways? why are people so obsessed with it?

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I'd be pissed if Brawl was delayed till '09 for Online play.
I'd sbe glad to buy the game today even if it didn't have online play. I don't see what's the big deal about all this online crap anyways? why are people so obsessed with it?
Well, Smash is most fun when playing against other human opponents - and there aren't always 1 or more gamers at hand who are willing to play for hours on end. Online play would give players the abilities to play against other human opponents whenever they want.

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
I wouldn't hate you if it were your fault brawl was delayed until 2009...but I also serious don't think it will take them that long just to include an online multiplayer.

in regards to this update it could be

This World... Wide Brawl of the lengendary video game characters battling it out in front of vieiwers from around the world. This mode will allow players from around the world to duke it out with eachother...

hahaha

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
hmmm... maybe...
aren't online games usually laggy?
Sometimes. But The Wii is more powerful than the first Xbox, and that had lag-free online Halo 2. I'm positive the Wii is capable of putting a 2-D fighter like Brawl online. They just have invest the time and resourses.

I wouldn't hate you if it were your fault brawl was delayed until 2009...but I also serious don't think it will take them that long just to include an online multiplayer.

in regards to this update it could be

This World... Wide Brawl of the lengendary video game characters battling it out in front of vieiwers from around the world. This mode will allow players from around the world to duke it out with eachother...

hahaha
That's a great idea, but I think the whole "This World.." thing is about a new story mode. Let's hope Sakurai has time to include BOTH a robust single player adventure and online multiplayer.

Lemming 1545

Smash Journeyman
Online petitions fail. Massively. A petition is a universally pointless thing, and a complete waste of time, unless you can get a large group of people to physically sign a piece of paper; if it's electronic, I guarentee it will be ignored. However, the e-mail campaign is a great idea, and could be effective; I reccomend that some of us send letters - snail mail - in addition to e-mailing Nintendo. Because of the internet service in my area, I'll never be able to play Brawl online anyway, but I know how awesome it would be if I could - and I know how much the rest of you are hoping for it. Here's to seeing that happen!

SGX

Smash Journeyman
I'd much rather have 2009 Brawl than no-online Brawl.

I'd almost go as far to say that online is one of the only reasons I want Brawl, because I'm pretty sure it's not going to be better than melee. :|

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
Online petitions fail. Massively. A petition is a universally pointless thing, and a complete waste of time, unless you can get a large group of people to physically sign a piece of paper; if it's electronic, I guarentee it will be ignored. However, the e-mail campaign is a great idea, and could be effective; I reccomend that some of us send letters - snail mail - in addition to e-mailing Nintendo. Because of the internet service in my area, I'll never be able to play Brawl online anyway, but I know how awesome it would be if I could - and I know how much the rest of you are hoping for it. Here's to seeing that happen!

an online petition is alot better than no petition at all! however it may be good to send a copy of this petition through snail mail and email because in snail mail it has to physically be held in someone's hands before it is thrown away

GraniteJJ

Smash Cadet
This is the dumbest thing ever

ATTENTION MODS: PLEASE HEAR ME OUT BEFORE CLOSING THIS THREAD

Like most of you, I'm a huge Super Smash Bros fan. Melee is by far my favorite game of all time, SSB 64 is a close second and Super Smash Bros. Brawl is the reason that I chose to purchase a Wii. In fact, if Brawl were the only game coming out for Wii, I would consider my purchase money well spent. Because as hyped as I am for Prime 3 and Mario Galaxy, I know that within a month of their release they will both sit ideal on my shelf collecting dust. Super Smash Bros, on the other hand, is a game that can be played FOREVER – provided you have other human beings to play against. Which brings me to the topic at hand.

After watching Nintendo's E3 Press conference (via the interweb tubes) I couldn't help but feel bummed and a more than a little outraged. It wasn't that the Press conference covered mostly casual games, because I actually thought Wii Fit looked kinda neat. It wasn't that Brawl won't be released until Decemebr 3, since I'm just relieved that the game is on track to be released this year. I wasn't even that upset at the absence of another epic Brawl trailer. As long as Sakurai continues to blow our minds with new Dojo updates, I have no complaints. Besides, I'd much rather that the team focus on finishing the game ASAP.

No, what made me outraged was that Nintendo all but confirmed that Brawl would NOT HAVE ONLINE MULTIPLAYER. In the conference, Reggie Fils-Aime (the President of Nintendo's American devision) went to great lengths to try and demonstrate that Nintendo was serious about online. He touted third party efforts like Madden and Guitar Hero III as shining examples of Nintendo's commitment to online play and unveiled Mario Kart Wii – an all new game to showcase the Wii's online play. All that was well and good, but when it came to what is undoubtedly Nintendo's most anticipated online title, Super Smash Bros Brawl, nothing at all was mentioned. If fact, not only did Nintendo go through all of E3 without mentioning “Brawl” and “Online” in the same sentence, but the mention of online is also conspicuously absent from Sakurai's Dojo updates. You can see the entire Nintendo Press Conference here: http://www.gamespot.com/video/0/6174...p=e32007_index

Obviously, Nintendo hasn't confirmed that Brawl WON'T be online, but I find it very, very odd that Nintendo is saying nil about what is widely considered to be the most anticipated feature in their most anticipated game. The conclusion drawn by many, including 1up.com > http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161020 is that the reason Nintendo hasn't been singing from the roof tops about Brawl's online mode is because there is no online mode to speak of. At the very least, Nintendo's silence on this matter at E3, and on Brawl in general, indicates that Nintendo is unclear whether Sakurai's team have time to include an online mode and still have the game completed this holiday season.

EDIT: Just to clear up any lingering doubts as to whether Nintendo confirmed Brawl to be online at their E3 Press Conferance: they didn't.

As much as I love Nintendo, I'm not going to mince words: IF BRAWL IS NOT ONLINE IT WILL BE A SLAP IN THE FACE TO NINTNENDO FANS EVERYWHERE! The very idea that DS games like Mario Hart DS, Metroid Prime Hunters, Clubhouse Games, Pokemon D/P and Tetris DS can be online while Smash Bros cannot is utterly repulsive. Hardcore Nintendo fans who stuck with Nintendo through the deepest, darkest droughts of the Gamecube era need a real online game to call our own. In the face of competition like Halo 3 on 360 and HOME on PS3, anything short of an online Smash Bros would be an embarrassment of the highest order.

There are six months until Brawl’s official release date. More than enough time for Nintendo to devote whatever resources Sakurai needs to include a basic online mode of some shape or form, or delay the game until early ’08 if absolutely necessary. The purpose of this thread IS NOT FOR WHINING AND COMPLAINING. There will be plenty of time for that when and if Nintendo confirms that the game’s online has been scrapped. No, this thread is about how we, the Smash Community, can make it clear to Nintendo that online play is very, very important to us thankyouverymuch.

Phase one of the Save Brawl’s Online Mode Campaign begins now. This phase is simple: we should write to Ninendo’s official magazine: Nintendo Power. And by “we” I mean EVERYONE ON SMASHBOARDS. Over 60,000 people are registered users of Smash Boards, so I don’t think it would be impossible to get, say, 10,000 of those to email Nintendo Power asking straight up: will Brawl be online or not? It might not to enough to sway Nintendo, but when the NP editors discover that we have flooded their inbox with several thousand e-mails I guarantee we will get a reaction. At the very least, they we might learn for certain whether Brawl is online or not.

If you really are a fan of Smash Bros, then I issue the following three step challenge.

STEP 1: Email Nintendo Power at this address > pulse@nintendopower.com
Write how important it is to you that Brawl is online. If you don’t own a Wii, tell them that you won’t buy one unless Brawl is online (assuming you feel that way.) If you do own a Wii, tell them you would gladly wait a whole year (if necessary) for a proper Smash Bros sequel and that you’ll happily buy plenty of other Wii games in the mean time. Heck, if you can’t think of anything to say just copy this and click “send”:

“Why didn’t Nintendo announce an online mode for Super Smash Bros Brawl at E3? Isn’t the game still online? Playing Smash Bros online is REALLY important to me, and Nintendo fans everywhere, so I hope Nintendo doesn’t let us down.

Sincerely, [insert name here]”

I recommend being polite, but firm. But you can right whatever you like.

Step 2: PM a link to this thread to everyone on your Smashboards friendlist, and beg them to take up the challenge.

We must spread the word if we want to have any impact at all. I also ask that if you are a regular poster on any other videogame forums that you make your own thread issuing this same challenge, or by all means copy what I have written and repost it.

Step 3: Use this thread to brainstorm more ideas to get Nintendo’s attention.

This is the purpose for this thread’s existence. I trust Sakurai to make the best game imaginable, but I am concerned that Nintendo won’t give him all the time he needs – considering how much money Nintendo is making on super simple, super cheap games like Wii Play. Smash Bros is OUR game, and we can either wait until it is too late and live with an online-less Smash Bros for years to come – or we step up and fight for the series that we love so much.

If you have any ideas for Phase 2 of the Save Brawl’s Online Mode Campaign, PM them to me. This thread will be updated as needed and will remain up until our friends the Mods close me down, or Nintendo confirms that Brawl is in fact online.

May the Wavedash be with you.

- Ben “Wiseguy” Hicks

Edit: We have our suggestion for Phase 2! Sign this online petition if you want online multiplayer in Super Smash Bros Brawl. Once we get enough signitures, I will send it to Nintendo of America:

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/brawlmustbeonline

(For some odd reason this petition requires an email address. I'm new to this free petition site, so if you are worried about spam you might want to be wary.)

Keep the suggestions coming!
1. First of all, you listed a ****load of DS games that are online and wondered why they could not do it with a Wii-title. Typically, smaller and weaker platforms have simpler online infrastructures than a huge title like Super Smash Bros. Brawl. For all we know, they don't have the infrastructure (server-wise) to handle so many players constantly playing. It could kill Nintendo Wi-Fi. And I am sure it is more difficult to set up than you seem to think. Plus, we're not even sure that the game is done. Keep in mind they need to finish the meat of the game before adding other flourishes. If they do not have online for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, I'll be fine with it. I have more than enough friends to occupy my time.

2. Nintendo Power and Nintendo of America are two different things. You think the editors and writers at a magazine that exclusively covers Nintendo material has any sway over the game design that takes place overseas at Nintendo of Japan, or the localization that happens at Nintendo of America. You're not even contacting the right people to fix this problem, which brings me to point number 3...

3. Petitions never work, and you are brainless if you think it will. You think a huge company like Nintendo is going to drastically alter their schedule for development because a few hundred teenagers on the internet send them a petition insisting there is multiplayer. What right do we have to do that? None. We only have the choice to buy their product or not. And here is the kicker. They know you're going to buy it. You're so hooked by the franchise, that you'd be crazy not to. I know I'm going to buy it, with or without online. And Nintendo can be sure that - with its December 3rd release - people will be clamouring over eachother to get a copy of this game.

YOU ARE WASTING TIME WITH THIS!

Elysium

Smash Lord
2. Nintendo Power and Nintendo of America are two different things. You think the editors and writers at a magazine that exclusively covers Nintendo material has any sway over the game design that takes place overseas at Nintendo of Japan, or the localization that happens at Nintendo of America. You're not even contacting the right people to fix this problem, which brings me to point number 3...

3. Petitions never work, and you are brainless if you think it will. You think a huge company like Nintendo is going to drastically alter their schedule for development because a few hundred teenagers on the internet send them a petition insisting there is multiplayer. What right do we have to do that? None. We only have the choice to buy their product or not. And here is the kicker. They know you're going to buy it. You're so hooked by the franchise, that you'd be crazy not to. I know I'm going to buy it, with or without online. And Nintendo can be sure that - with its December 3rd release - people will be clamouring over eachother to get a copy of this game.

Umm, I think you missed the point. Sending E-mails to NP wasn't meant to ask and plead with them to ask Nintendo if they would make sure it had Online. It was just to see if they could release/confirm any information about Online play.

You could possibly be right with the last paragraph, but even so what does it hurt? Even if it doesn't do anything we still tried. When Wise sends that Petition, and Brawl still comes out lacking Online, we'll all be like ****, but we'll move on. If anything it could act as a distraction helping us pass the time until the release date.

You obviously don't feel very passionately about the inclusion of Online play like most of us on this thread do, which is the difference. You won't see Wise or someone else that is so enthralled by the idea of Online say they were wasting time doing this. Because even so, it's still better to try.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Petitions are only a waiste of time if they require time. This one took me 10 minutes to set up, and each signature only takes 5 seconds of the person's time. Will it make any difference in the ling run? Admittedly, probably not, but I don't see the harm in trying. Who knows, if we get enough signatures it could get some attention in the gaming press.

As for your suggestion about mailing Nintendo Power directly, it sounds like a good idea. I'll post the Mailing address after I'm finished typing this.

how many people signed the petetion so far?
227. No too shaby, but we are slowing down a bit. I'll start posting a link to the petition on some other threads soon, and that should cause the numbers to climb again.

I'd much rather have 2009 Brawl than no-online Brawl.

I'd almost go as far to say that online is one of the only reasons I want Brawl, because I'm pretty sure it's not going to be better than melee. :|
I think Brawl's going to be the best Smash Bros regardless - but with online it could be th best game ever.

do you guys really think it wont be online cuz it will be released this year?
I don't know. It is possible that the reason they are so silent on this matter is becuase it reamain to be seen if Sakurai has the time to release the game on squedule and get the online working. All this is still speculation at this point.

1. First of all, you listed a ****load of DS games that are online and wondered why they could not do it with a Wii-title. Typically, smaller and weaker platforms have simpler online infrastructures than a huge title like Super Smash Bros. Brawl. For all we know, they don't have the infrastructure (server-wise) to handle so many players constantly playing. It could kill Nintendo Wi-Fi. And I am sure it is more difficult to set up than you seem to think. Plus, we're not even sure that the game is done. Keep in mind they need to finish the meat of the game before adding other flourishes. If they do not have online for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, I'll be fine with it. I have more than enough friends to occupy my time.
The Wii is more than capable of having a 2-D fighting game online. Super Mario Strikers Charged is being released next week, and it supports 4 player online matchups. Madden 08, Guitar Hero 3 and Mario Kart Wii also support online play. This isn't rocket science, if Brawl doesn't have online it's becuase Nintendo decided that it wasn't worth the effort.

Thanks. I know the differeance between Nintendo of America and Nintendo Power.

If you read my post carefully, you would know that the goal in e-mailing Nintendo's official magazine is just to find out whether Brawl is online or no. Nothing more. Nintendo's offical magazine has a good reputation for responding to reader mail, so hopefuly they can at least find out one way or another. If all we get is "we don't know, but we passed your concerns along" we'll at least have gotten our concerns published in one of the most prominent gaming mags in North America.

I'm touched that you, a complete stranger, is so concerned with how I spend my free time. Ironically, in typing this you yourself have waisted precious minutes that could have been better spent curing diseases or solving mysteries such as the number of licks to the center of the tootsie roll pop...

Elysium

Smash Lord
If you read my post carefully, you would know that the goal in e-mailing Nintendo's official magazine is just to find out whether Brawl is online or no. Nothing more. Nintendo's offical magazine has a good reputation for responding to reader mail, so hopefuly they can at least find out one way or another. If all we get is "we don't know, but we passed your concerns along" we'll at least have gotten our concerns published in one of the most prominent gaming mags in North America.
In regards to this, has anyone actually gotten a reply from NP yet? (or is it more likely they will address it in the next NP issue?)

Revven

FrankerZ
Hey Wise, how about sending the petition in to GoNintendo? RMC usually posts certain things that seem to have gotten "some wind" so perhaps it'd be a good idea to get some signatures from there through RMC posting it as an update? People have sent in petitions to there before (case in point the canceling of Camp Hyrule, a petition was sent in to change that so it wasn't canceled for this year but...I don't know the results of that. Or the other petition for a certain game to be made for WiiWare I think it was that Sam and Max game and that came through!)

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Hey Wise, how about sending the petition in to GoNintendo? RMC usually posts certain things that seem to have gotten "some wind" so perhaps it'd be a good idea to get some signatures from there through RMC posting it as an update? People have sent in petitions to there before (case in point the canceling of Camp Hyrule, a petition was sent in to change that so it wasn't canceled for this year but...I don't know the results of that. Or the other petition for a certain game to be made for WiiWare I think it was that Sam and Max game and that came through!)
I'm not very familiar with GoNintendo. Isn't it a Nintendo fansite? In so, that sounds like a great idea.

WhiteZER0

Smash Apprentice
You know, JUST because they didn't mention Smash Online, doesn't mean it ain't gonna be there. Brawl is one of the most secretive games of the year, and they're not just gonna announce one of the biggest options in the game, even at a big thing like E3. They probably want to keep us in suspense for all the GREAT stuff in Brawl, so as not to spoil it all before we get the game.

if I was part of Nintendo, that is how I would think anyways. This is an OPINION, so I'm not saying it's TRUE or anything.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
You know, JUST because they didn't mention Smash Online, doesn't mean it ain't gonna be there. Brawl is one of the most secretive games of the year, and they're not just gonna announce one of the biggest options in the game, even at a big thing like E3. They probably want to keep us in suspense for all the GREAT stuff in Brawl, so as not to spoil it all before we get the game.

if I was part of Nintendo, that is how I would think anyways. This is an OPINION, so I'm not saying it's TRUE or anything.
That's a possibility (one that I HOPE is true, in fact) but Nintendo already announced that Brawl was online - when the game was originally announced. This is old news. So why now, months before release when they are boldly proclaiming that games like Mario Kart Wii and Mario Strikers are online, do they remain silent?

I hope Nintendo will clear all this up in the near future, but until then I thought I'd at least try something constructive.

Dangit, you people are acting like this might actually work and change something. :/
Uhhh.... sorry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom