• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMASHERS UNITE! ... in Celebration. Brawl is Online, and I'm just paranoid ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Mario Kart

Smash Apprentice
As I've said before, there has been no instance of a technical fighter that has been online out of the box that has been competitive either online OR offline. When you've got inputs with windows in the single frames, any lag whatsoever is not acceptable.

DOA and Mortal Kombat both are jokes. Any other online games were offline first, like Street Fighter.

Yes, Soul Calibur 4, Tekken 6, and VF5 (360) are going to support online. However, they are not out yet, so my original comment still stands.

Star105

Smash Journeyman
I just want brawl to be online since all of my friends live far away and i live in the middle of nowhere

online play for brawl!!!!!

Level 9

Smash Apprentice
I just want brawl to be online since all of my friends live far away and i live in the middle of nowhere

online play for brawl!!!!!
Same case with me... There are only a handful of smashers where I live & none of them are anything close to competitive players in nature...

That said Dr. Mario Kart is right in the fact that so far online fighters have been a joke... (Save for some impressive emulation feats vala skilful fan based projects)

But so far nothing on console as of yet... Not saying Brawl might not vary well turn out to be the first, But it is unlikely...

And as I've been saying... (Not that my word has any worth one way or another)

But I see it as nearly impossible to pull such a game off online without it being under the vary best of connection standards...

Wi-Fi is still in its infantsy and lacks good speeds and stability in most of its commercially available forms... (The Wii's Wireless G being one of them sadly)

If Brawl is to be online a Wii LAN Adaptor would most likely be a must as well as a good ISP...

These things aren't something that most buyers are likely to have, rather it be by choice or circumstances... And to go against there wi-fi connection campaign and all they have done to set it up & demand the buyers to invest in them if they want to go online is just dumb...

So from how I see it they really only have two choice's... They can either release a game that claims to be wi-fi and plays horribly on it... Or they could just release a game that does everything it says it does like a wet dream...

Which do you think would be better for there reputation...?

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Well, crappy wi-fi is better than none, I guess. But then again, noone would use it if it was to crappy... but, THEN AGAIN, there are idiots out there who would...
So, I'm stumped...
Go online! Go GOOD!!!!! lol

Level 9

Smash Apprentice
Well, crappy wi-fi is better than none, I guess. But then again, noone would use it if it was to crappy... but, THEN AGAIN, there are idiots out there who would...
So, I'm stumped...
Go online! Go GOOD!!!!! lol
Hey I would be one of them... lol

But nintendo is smart enough to realize that bad wi-fi would not only take away from a games reputation (Which would hurt the credibility of developers) it would also hurt their online campaign as well... (Seeing as people are already holding this game to impossible standards)

People would take one glance at Brawl & one glance at its online capabilities & think... (FTW!?!? They didn't even take the time to get it to work right in a game like this!?...)

It would be a vary bad black stain on there rep & could vary well turn away potential buyers of there future online games like Mario Kart...

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Maybe this is old but..........
http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-articles/1543-super-smash-bros-brawl-faq.html

it says there like in the IGN article that SSBB is online........

maybe this is old but im guessing we're not taking any chances huh
That IGN interview was over a year ago and I posted it over a month ago in this thread. I think online's going to be in Brawl but there have been no news of it directly from Sakurai. The rumor thread helps, though. It's about this source called Coro Coro, which just about said that Japan retailers have set the Brawl release for November 22nd and Brawl's going to have a wi-fi online battle mode. Coro Coro is a reliable source from what I've heard. If you search hard enough, you'll find it.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Hey I would be one of them... lol

But nintendo is smart enough to realize that bad wi-fi would not only take away from a games reputation (Which would hurt the credibility of developers) it would also hurt their online campaign as well... (Seeing as people are already holding this game to impossible standards)

People would take one glance at Brawl & one glance at its online capabilities & think... (FTW!?!? They didn't even take the time to get it to work right in a game like this!?...)

It would be a vary bad black stain on there rep & could vary well turn away potential buyers of there future online games like Mario Kart...
LOL, don't worry, me, myself, would as well.

enigma618

Smash Rookie
like it says here http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-...brawl-faq.html *credit goes to star 105 for original post*

"One of the primary reasons Super Smash Bros. Brawl was created was that Nintendo, when taking Wii online, wanted to have Smash Bros. to do that,"

i see no need to worry smash bros brawl main ideas when made was to go online and it will be godly online

Level 9

Smash Apprentice
like it says here http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-...brawl-faq.html *credit goes to star 105 for original post*

"One of the primary reasons Super Smash Bros. Brawl was created was that Nintendo, when taking Wii online, wanted to have Smash Bros. to do that,"

i see no need to worry smash bros brawl main ideas when made was to go online and it will be godly online
And yet as it has turned out so far Smash was delayed long enough for them to have Mario Strikers Charged & Pokemon Battle Revolution take the Wii into its online faze instead... :urg:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
anyone who doubts Brawl having good online is seriously lacking good vision, because:

1.Melee was the best selling fighting game. EVER!
2.It's the Wii's biggest title.
3.Nintendo's only long-term, or any game to combat Halo 3.
4.Mario Strikers Charged online has little if any lag. Brawl is much more valueable, and will have the best servers out there.
5.C'mon, would Nintendo make their BIGGEST Wii TITLE have CRAP online play=???
6.Shigeru Miyamoto would probably head the online, and he ROCKS!

**** yes, diddy! **** yes!~

susu_atari

Smash Ace
anyone who doubts Brawl having good online is seriously lacking good vision, because:

4.Mario Strikers Charged online has little if any lag. Brawl is much more valueable, and will have the best servers out there.

Yeah, but you're overlooking the fact that online play sucks, and online players can go blow a goat.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
You guys think smash will have leaderboards? I don't really play online, so I don't know much about them, but I'm guessing the guy with the most wins (or girl-I don't forget about you either) will be on a list. Yay.

Level 9

Smash Apprentice

1. Yes... Yes it was...

2. Most likely...

3. Uh.... Doubtfull... Mario Kart will most likely ROCK and as it is Mario Strikers Charged is already shaped up to be a great online experience... I expect much more to come in this department then just one possibly good online game...

4. I don't know about that... Brawl well most likely be a MUCH more hectic and fast paced game then MSC and for that alone the average household might not be up to snuff to play it well... All the servers in the world mean nothing if your audience is lagging horribly on yesterdays wi-fi tech & ISP's that aren't up to the task at hand...

5. My point exactly...

6. LOL!... As neat of a idea as that is I kinda doubt Nintendos lead game designer would be put in charge of such a techy thing...

-EDIT-

My crappyass spelling... @#$%!

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
A minor update, gents.

In our never ending quest to discover the truth about online play in Brawl, I have enlisted the help of that hive of scum and villany: the Nsider forums. Who knows if it will help, but I re-posted this thread there. A special thanks to ArtieBoy for lending me his Nsider profile.

On another note, I just listened to episode 6 of the Show Me Your News podcast where egruntz plugged this thread. Thanks alot man.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, but you're overlooking the fact that online play sucks, and online players can go blow a goat.
Okay then, how come I can play CS: Source in a game where the server is in Texas, have very playable lag contol, and be playing a 30 person game=??? Brawl is 2...2! 4 players might be dificult, especially with techs and stuff, but online doesn't suck per say. I seriously get 10 ping on a Kaillera server 500 miles away, and it's smooth when I'm playing SSB64. That is basically nonexistent, so you're exaggerating.

@ Wiseguy
Well....I guess it's good, and maybe we should spread it to IGN, Game Spot, Gametrialers, and others. We need to spread the support, because we need all the help we can get!

dashival

Smash Cadet
this may have already been stated, i am too lazy to check, but:

perhaps it is a secret, to be unveiled by means of the final Dojo update?

now THAT, my friends, would be a great update indeed, and a fitting finish to that which is the Smash Bros DOJO!!.

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
this may have already been stated, i am too lazy to check, but:

perhaps it is a secret, to be unveiled by means of the final Dojo update?

now THAT, my friends, would be a great update indeed, and a fitting finish to that which is the Smash Bros DOJO!!.
hopefully they announce it alot sooner than the last update

J03

Smash Master
online play would be great to increase the amount of competitive players no matter how ****e it is.

however it would sorely reduce the amount of people willing to travel to tournaments as it would seem easier to simply play it online, it happened with halo2, but with there being SO FREAKING many players it still has a good tournament scene.

brawl may be different, as you could gather holding a tournament online would be so difficult it would be almost impossible. so the argument is simple:-

IS ONLINE PLAY GOOD ENOUGH TO SACRIFICE TOURNAMENTS!!!

personally i love tournaments, wouldnt trade them for the world, also without online it means mainly people with friends would get good so i wouldnt have to talk to geeks with no social skills who only talk about things the rest of us dont find remotely interesting, tbh id rather them turn into a big ol' beer, or at least yell at them to get me one

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
games like Pkmn battle revelotion is online,mario strikers,ofcoarse brawl will have online,i just know

Legolastom

Smash Hero
What if someone lives in a place where there are no tournaments and none of their friends play smash / are any good at it?

Baamage

Smash Apprentice
When Sakurai was talking about the creation of Brawl, he said that the original idea was going to be Melee with Online, until they decided that they might was well make a whole new game. So I think online is definitely going to be included.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Sakurai basically confirmed online, I don't see what's the problem. He said: "My plan is to include Wi-Fi connection compatibility and online functionality. One of the primary reasons Super Smash Bros. Brawl was created was that Nintendo, when taking Wii online, wanted to have Smash Bros. to do that."

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
we are just trying to make sure they aren't having second thoughts that is why we want a confirmation in the year 2007 so that we can be sure.

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai basically confirmed online, I don't see what's the problem. He said: "My plan is to include Wi-Fi connection compatibility and online functionality. One of the primary reasons Super Smash Bros. Brawl was created was that Nintendo, when taking Wii online, wanted to have Smash Bros. to do that."
ofcoarse brawl will have online,i saw the official cover art.: http://www.quicksavejunkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/wii_preview_super_smash_bros_brawl.jpg

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Nintendo Power has already answered the "Will Brawl be online question, in this year's October edition... They said they'll inform us when it's announced...

Frigid_Aztec

Smash Apprentice
This game had better have some form of Wi Fi. Right now I only have one friend who can challenge me at Smash (Hellsoldierx15) and I have one friend who is decent (he doesn't have an account).

Online is needed so that I can actaully play against characters other then Marth and Luigi (my friend's mains)

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Hey! hellsolider15x & me a best buds! He's in my clan FOR online brawl. You should join!

I'll challenge you with my Zelda-you've been warned.

kadafy

Smash Rookie
For those of who don't know how Nintendo Wi-Fi works, it just uses your wireless internet connection to play over the internet. I've played Mario Stikers: Charged online quite a bit. There's only been a few issues with lag between people. I could imagine with a fighter, lag being something VERY important. I know this as I play Rumble Fighter as well. With Mario Strikers, there are a few different options to play online. You get a 4 options to choose from. Battle Friend, View Friends List, Ranked Match, View Leaderboard. Battle Friend you just create a game then invite people from your friends list. Ranked Match just finds someone random to play against. Also, when it finds a player (or if you invite one), it shows the connection quality as a star rating before you accept it, with a maximum of 4 stars. Now, I do feel Online play is very important. Especially for Brawl. I think it will help gain at least a few players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom