• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashfest Venue Issue

Vortex 4

Smash Cadet
I started a weekly smashfest about a month ago and have had about 10 people from smashboards say they would come. Yet only one actually did come. I understand that some people couldn't come because something came up, but am confused as to why some others did not.

I think it may have something to do with me hosting this at my house. Since it's at my house I tell people that I can only have about 20 smashers at a time. But the most I've had at one event is 9.

The thing is that there is no other weekly smashfest in my area (at least that I can find online), yet the even local crew (Easton Smash) has declined to come and try it out.

So do you think that my issue is hosting the smashfest at my house or some other thing is affecting my turnout?

P.S. Keep in mind that my house is in a nice suburban neighborhood and I have 5 crt TVs, 2 GCNs, 1 Wiii, and 1 N64, so I can handle a decent sized crowd. Plus I have a Twitch stream that works pretty well twitch.tv/smasharoundback

Last edited:

WHA?

Smash Ace
Wows that sucks.
Anyone here would be happy to have someone who can host 6+ people no matter the venue.
Maybe your region is picky as helllllllllll

Best advice i can give are
- post pics of how the venue looks setup and ready to take in smashers
- send personal invites, and exchange numbers
- tell ppl that maybe yall can do a mini tourney of $1-$2 round robin tourney
- hang in there and hopefully word of mouth will help

Also, straight up ask ppl why they dont wanna come, if they got no valid reason.
what was that about a crew declining to attend? they just said NO THANKS? or didnt even reply to your offer? any reason?

Vortex 4

Smash Cadet
Yeah it kinda sucks, although my friends and I still have a great time.
Still we're all used to playing each other and would like to meet people who can challenge us or help others get better.

Thanks for your advice.
I will definitely do the pictures and personal invites (both great ideas).
I already have the $1 tourney on the event listing.
Like you said, I mostly have to be patient and hope word spreads.

While I would like to know why people don't show up, I don't want to come across as harassing people to join us.
As far as the crew goes, they were at Summer Jam 8 last weekend so I knew they couldn't make it then.
But we had fun cheering for them on the twitch stream.
My buddy, Paz, is good friends with 3 of the members, and has invited them to each smashfest.
So far they have said no thanks, and just said they're busy.
I know they recently got signed with a sponsor (Hitbox Arena), maybe they're just not interested in small time stuff anymore.

Anyway, here's the event listing:
http://smashboards.com/threads/sep-7-2014-smash-around-back-melee-pm-64-easton-pa.364918/
If you can think of any way to make it more enticing I would greatly appreciate it.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Noone showed up for my first attempted smashfest, but I think it just takes some time and regular hosting before ppl start showing up. Plans change last minute especially when it's with strangers, so like, just takes time.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I started a weekly smashfest about a month ago and have had about 10 people from smashboards say they would come. Yet only one actually did come. I understand that some people couldn't come because something came up, but am confused as to why some others did not.

I think it may have something to do with me hosting this at my house. Since it's at my house I tell people that I can only have about 20 smashers at a time. But the most I've had at one event is 9.

The thing is that there is no other weekly smashfest in my area (at least that I can find online), yet the even local crew (Easton Smash) has declined to come and try it out.

So do you think that my issue is hosting the smashfest at my house or some other thing is affecting my turnout?

P.S. Keep in mind that my house is in a nice suburban neighborhood and I have 5 crt TVs, 2 GCNs, 1 Wiii, and 1 N64, so I can handle a decent sized crowd. Plus I have a Twitch stream that works pretty well twitch.tv/smasharoundback

Pick friends, host smash for said friends. Do this weekly.

If others are interested, they can attend. Don't expect or require them for a successful event.

I can trounce most of the people in my region fairly easily in Melee, Brawl, or PM. It's not worth my time to go to someone else's smashfest if my goal is to just improve. That's not their fault, it's a problem I have to deal with.

Others with thcare about improving, but want to hang out with their friends. They'll only attend if their friends do, so if one drops it can cause a chain reaction.

That kind of stuff is tough to handle so... don't! Just host a smashfest for a few of your closer friends, deliberately small, and let it grow organically. Not everything needs to be some super large hype event. Just get a few guys over for smash.

Vortex 4

Smash Cadet
Noone showed up for my first attempted smashfest, but I think it just takes some time and regular hosting before ppl start showing up. Plans change last minute especially when it's with strangers, so like, just takes time.
Pick friends, host smash for said friends. Do this weekly.

If others are interested, they can attend. Don't expect or require them for a successful event.

I can trounce most of the people in my region fairly easily in Melee, Brawl, or PM. It's not worth my time to go to someone else's smashfest if my goal is to just improve. That's not their fault, it's a problem I have to deal with.

Others with thcare about improving, but want to hang out with their friends. They'll only attend if their friends do, so if one drops it can cause a chain reaction.

That kind of stuff is tough to handle so... don't! Just host a smashfest for a few of your closer friends, deliberately small, and let it grow organically. Not everything needs to be some super large hype event. Just get a few guys over for smash.
You're both right.
And I will continue to host this smashfest even if it is the same crowd of friends that come.
It's just that I now there is a smash community in this area that is active and talented, but they mainly play in Northeastern New Jersey and Philadelphia.
I just want to start something that represents the area itself, for both competitive and amateur smashers.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I just want to start something that represents the area itself, for both competitive and amateur smashers.
It's hard. Ask yourself if you'd attend a smash event that was only middle schoolers -- you'd likely not get much practice and the games wouldn't be as fun. Or, alternatively, if you'd like to go to a smashfest with nothing but the likes of M2K and PPMD and the like and you spent most of the day getting trounced and then waiting 20 minutes for your turn. Trying to cater to both groups simultaneously is typically a wash. Just host and then let the group decide for itself what it represents, it'll fill itself in just fine.

Vortex 4

Smash Cadet
It's hard. Ask yourself if you'd attend a smash event that was only middle schoolers -- you'd likely not get much practice and the games wouldn't be as fun. Or, alternatively, if you'd like to go to a smashfest with nothing but the likes of M2K and PPMD and the like and you spent most of the day getting trounced and then waiting 20 minutes for your turn. Trying to cater to both groups simultaneously is typically a wash. Just host and then let the group decide for itself what it represents, it'll fill itself in just fine.
I dunno, personally I would love the experience of being trounced by the likes of M2K and PPMD (while I strive to win, I don't get too upset at losing). While at the same time I don't mind training up newbies (seeing someone who kinda sucked a couple weeks ago and all of the sudden almost takes a match from you is great).

But I get what you're saying, and you're probably right.

Most smashers want to meet up with people on their level.
So I'll just be patient and see where it goes.

Thanks (^_^).

Top Bottom