• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashGT 2 (Melee + Brawl) March 27/28th UK National CONFIRMED

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyCondor

Smash Cadet
Look, you can't just appear on boards and start saying things that are disrespectful of the top players. For one you've got no idea how close it is between us, for 2 have you even played us before?

Just don't be needlessly rude to people who have put time into being good at the game, there is no need for it.
VA you don't need to take these things personally. It was just my opinion on the matter and I stick by it, you're the one who started being disrespectful. Extremely disrespectful. Why is it more acceptable to be rude to me then the reverse? Because you're better at smash? Wat.

I have actually played you both, briefly. What do you want, an indepth player analysis that I can't give? You're both decent players, Fuzzy seemed much better than you did at the time but its hard to tell when my knowledge of the game isn't great(I want to play prof and Edwin one day). But thats never a standpoint I was judging you both from, I know enough about competitive gaming and competition in general to form my own opinion on this topic. As someone said, its bloody difficult to win these tournaments consistently yet its happening, no matter how close each final has been. This I can respect more than anything else, I'm sorry you don't feel the same way.

Tamoo

Smash Master
Shoutouts

first of all, sorry guys for the recording screw up, was experimenting with my new laptop but didn't have the drivers for recording :/

fuzzy: first off, u and aiko ran a great tournament, well done on placings but stop sucking at dubs :mad: didn't get to play but we play quite a lot so I'll let you off this time :p

aiko: well done on5th dude, personally wasn't expecting u to outplace Joe tbh so congrats with that, saw some nice things against Edwin, keep it up

Joe: screw you! You totally ducked me and blinky over haha. I probably learned the most about what I have to improve on against you, and was able to apply a lot of new things to my game after playing you, particularly against swizzy so thanks a lot for the lesson man :)

swizzy: soooo sorry for playing that gay against you, just really wanted that 83p lool. God you have a sick ganon, really wasn't expecting to do well against you after some of the things I was getting ***** by in the friendlies, sooo scared of that dthrowusmash lol

Lawtencelot: huge shame that we didn't get to finish our mm, was massively close in the end, good **** on coming all the way to uk for this, hope you had a good time over here.

Va: I actually really enjoyed our match, you probs felt incontrol but I always actually felt at the back of my mind that I could actually take it as the stocks were pretty even. Well done on 2nd aswell, now take that top spot off the londoners!!

Beast: I really liked what I saw actually, I def saw an improvement from when we played at duncans, you were pressuring me a lt better.

Tuna: man youre too good for me, ltn to brinstar though lool, breaking up the stage is tooo good.

Nessy: haha the first time we ever played was sooooo gay, I hope I wasn't as gay as that this time :p

joeman: first tournament? If so, quite a nice Marth you got yourself there, learn some of the gay stuff u can do though, like fthrow fsmash etc.

Lj: I don't think we played that great, yet we still placed 5th being only beaten by top seeders, so I really do think we can make this work. We need to learn to play against peaches lol :/

Crabman: where is this techskill from?! Was a pleasure to have you around man, u'd better thank my betrayal for a good night sleep lol

Yujie and Josh: same goes to you guys, you guys were a great laugh, really sorry about London's ****ty transport, that was literally the worst weekend ever for transport and it was a shame you guys got the full force p it. Good luck in Berlin!!

Jjl: prof is right, you def have stepped it u. Since we last played.

Bishkin: same goes to you, you've come a long way from that em tournament, keep it up :)

ppl I didn't get to play but I really wanted to; blinky, Alan, Edwin in particular, let's def play next time

brawlers: haha I played shiiit at this, sorry brad for dragging you down >.<. I'll get better I promise

VA

Smash Hero
VA you don't need to take these things personally. It was just my opinion on the matter and I stick by it, you're the one who started being disrespectful. Extremely disrespectful. Why is it more acceptable to be rude to me then the reverse? Because you're better at smash? Wat.

I have actually played you both, briefly. What do you want, an indepth player analysis that I can't give? You're both decent players, Fuzzy seemed much better than you did at the time but its hard to tell when my knowledge of the game isn't great(I want to play prof and Edwin one day). But thats never a standpoint I was judging you both from, I know enough about competitive gaming and competition in general to form my own opinion on this topic. As someone said, its bloody difficult to win these tournaments consistently yet its happening, no matter how close each final has been. This I can respect more than anything else, I'm sorry you don't feel the same way.
It's fine to say you respect the number one spot more, but don't say that the others are worthless. I never said it was more acceptable for me to be rude, I was just rude back to you because you pop out of nowhere with demeaning comments about the established players, I wanted to defend them.

I don't think you know much about the UK scene, the history of the players or what unique traits the players have to overcome. Really I think you should have attended more than 1 event before you start making brash comments about how nothing else matters other than being the best. The top 4 spots are very powerful positions to hold and have been untouched for over a year now, why is this not something deserved of respect?

Being as your knowledge of smash scenes in general is weak, I wouldn't expect you to know that similar situations occur in other scenes. i.e BC in Canada had a top 3 that was unbeaten by the rest of the players but they could beat each other. Do your homework and don't disrespect the top players because you have nothing to back it up.

It's incredibly ignorant to think that you can judge players based on how they do against you.

@ Tamoo

Something hilarious happened in our set. Two turnips that were bouncing off each other hit you. I swear that's the only time I've ever seen that, it was so funny.

FlyCondor

Smash Cadet
I don't think you read my post properly. I admitted it was difficult to judge you both from how well you did against me, and I don't really hold it against you both. Chrisboi ***** me far more in the pools than either of you two ever did in friendlies lol, it doesn't mean I think he is better than you both.

As for everything else in your post, its just opinions. You know mine, I know yours, our arguments are just stuck in a cycle so I'll leave it there.

I'm curious though, of those top 3 players in canada, was one consistently winning tournaments or did the 3 of them split them?

edit hey you're not allowed to edit!

lol oh well. I will agree with you on point, while i'm editting this post: I do need to learn more bout the smash scene to gain a more educated position. Whens the next london fest? Before the holidays are up I hope?

VA

Smash Hero
For a year long period, one player dominated. Since then, a different one has dominated. While a third has alawys pushed the 2 in their top spots.

It's not about opinions. It's about not being rude, you said that any position that isn't number one holds no merit. Players other than Charles deserve respect.

Gantz ak-47

Smash Journeyman
swizzy has stepped up loads .

j3ly has stepped up loads

Deathgazer has stepped up loads

beast step up loads

i dont know about tamoo really i hardly play him

Edwin has stepped up loads :)

but those are the ppl that will give top3 some trouble in time
im gonna be part of that list soon.

Unreal91

Smash Journeyman
Going back to the VA and Edwin posts about how to get good:

I agree with what VA said about getting good at the game but Edwin is right too tech skill is important.

I mean, im no top player in this community but i have been playing this game for years (not competitively or with ATs) so i do understand the game quite well.

FlyCondor: You're quite rude strolling onto the boards and saying that only the best in the UK deserves respect.

EVERYONE deserves respect, its just ****in manners. >_>

Alpha Dash

Smash Ace
im gonna be part of that list soon.
It don't count coz your already good, that list if for people that pretty much came from nowhere and made a huge improvement, alpha dash SHOULD be up there, I didnt really get any shoutouts seeing as I didnt play many people.

My short shoutouts go to:

OOC: Just because they're in OOC lol

JJL: For teaming with me, We played well for our first time playing as a team. Next time I know we can do a lot better with training.

J03: For preparing me for my first bracket match, the IC's vs CF advice helped a lot.

VA: For the same reason as J03, and for placing 2nd

Deathgazer, Frugz, J3ly: The three that I always aim to play and keep up with, didnt get to play many matches against you this time, I was more focused on people I've never played before. But you guys always have an open invite to join an OOC smashfest.

Dicacia: Told you you wouldnt win against me.

And a shout out to myself for not geting nervous for the first time this tourney!

VA

Smash Hero
lol, I think FlyCondor is just being a bit silly in what he's saying.

If everyone only competed to be number one, half the players would give up. Not many of us have a shot of actually getting there. Look at the history of the UK scene and you'd see that charles, myself and jo3 are the only players that have consistently attended since 2006/7. The old school players got tired of trying, playing or have just decided to focus on life. For me I have always been battling to be number one, but I've had to work my way up, unlike Charles who has been there since his early tournaments. It's this kind of competition that has kept it alive for me, and saying that if I'm not number one then I may as well not care is insulting. I care that I improved this tournament, had I have won it, would people be saying I'm number 1? Probably not since prof did that before and no one claimed he was the best.

The point being there are 4 unbeaten players by the rest of the scene. They are in a markedly different class from the others. Fuzzy is the best (albeit wins the most) out of all of them. But that's not to say there is no comptetition at the top, in reality it's a highly difficult place to hold like we've all acknowledged. Now I don't really understand what point you have FlyCondor? So if you have anything more to say, please go ahead.

P.S The forums are a big part of where the hype plays out. Without boards smash would not exist, so don't go saying **** like "blah blah on an internet forum". This place is where we all met and how we continue to mobilise. So you can shove your demeaning talk about it elsewhere.

Deathgazer

Smash Ace
@fuzzy: yer i dont mind, but i might be in milton keynes alot cos i havnt seen my school friends since xmas and holidays are like hte only time i get to see them. but when im back in hertfordshire il be going to london for smashfests.

@Lawrancelot: lol yer you ***** me in the friendlies after. looking forward to playing you in future tournaments

btw what European events are people planning to go to this summer?

FlyCondor

Smash Cadet
Hm how do I put this?

The thing with respect, you can either argue everyone deserves or it has to be earned. For me theres a general respect felt towards everyone, a politeness really, that I would never forget and neither would most of you. This is independent of what I was saying before. It means you have manners and don't instantly start insulting random strangers (lol I hope I didn't do that last night, but if you feel that way then I apologise)

But beyond that there is a respect earned. Using that in the smash community, I respect very few players for their ability to play the game. Theres a side of me, which I will admit to be arrogance, which judges the majority of players to be beneath me. The fact that these players are usually better than me, lol, doesn't change that fact. Call it delusion, thats probably what it is, but I cant help but feel "if I played that long/that often/was that technical/blah blah I would be better". Its nonsense really, but I sincerely doubt I'm the only one who has ever felt this way.

Now examining the UK smash community in general, I can't help but feel there is only one player who truly deserves appreciation. Why? I have a friend who plays CS 1.6 competitively, and to him the competitive smash scene is a sleepy welsh village compared to his bustling new york. I remember showing him the pound 4 link and he was amazed there were actually people cheering and stuff (during the epic falcon dittos lol). And in a way he was right to be amazed: Who has heard of competitive smash? As much as I think the game deserves better, its not recieving it. So it seems to me theres only room for one king at the moment. Untill we go Korean mode and start rolling in million dollar contracts at least.

And tbh VA I wouldn't be surprised if one day that player was you, or Prof or even Edwin. But for the moment I reserve that position of respect for Fuzzy.

TLDR smash isn't big enough game for more than one top player. Probably an unfair sentiment but oh well.

VA

Smash Hero
In a smash bros melee community? It can't be true!

@FlyCondor UK is UK. And in my eyes, you're just licking fuzzy's *** without even taking the time to know how good anyone else is. poor show and this is what I see as disrespect, I thought you calling me sad originally was highly disrespectful, I merely followed suit. I felt the same way you did about people being lesser, I'm sure many smashers get it. The thing is I actually worked hard enough to challenge the players, now I just play my best and see how I do. For a new player to come out and say I don't deserve respect, one that has hardly played against me (let alone in tournament) and who has watched few of my tournament sets, it is pretty unheard of and outrageous.

It is clear from your posts that you are very new to the community and do not understand many of the things that come with this scene.

Also you're not a random stranger, I met you, I tried to talk to you and you barely responded.

I respect tons of players, not just Mango. I think Axe and Ka Master are amazing, they've never been the best but I recognise their skill. you can't even appreciate how good fuzzy is properly until you get the game. so basically you're saying because he keeps winning he's the best and everyone else should not be respected...hmmm.....

Retroking2000

Smash Master
so condor ur saying cause mango got 1st in pound 4 the other 4 like hbox armada and amsah m2k dont deserve not as much respect as 1st

thats bad to think like that.

ur basically saying fuzzy can trash anyone

i respect VA way more than fuzzy at smashgt2 just cause he went close with him

dont get me wrong i respect fuzzy is just i respect VA alot more

cause he gave uk hope

if u pratice + focus enough its possible

who would you respect someone getting 1st normally or someone praticing / focusing and getting 1st in doubles and 2nd in singles

i dunno about you guys

but VA i got hella respect for him now

i understand games are competitive most people would be like if your not aiming for 1st why bother

but i would just say people deserve some credit

Tamoo

Smash Master
My bad Willz :p, seriously though, you em guys have stepped up tonnes.

Va: that was actually hilarious, and probably demoralised me more than a stitchface ever coulda done lol!

VA

Smash Hero
Edwin comes in with the truth, like I said. Condor is just being an outright noob about it. It's pretty clear from his opinions he doesn't know much about the community/scene.

@Tamoo

I laughed quite hard when it happened xD

j3ly

Smash Champion
you guys are chatting shiz, Fly Condor - your talking bolloks (bolloks by the definition of the greater majority). Play the other top people, and you will see - nobody is perfect in smash, almost everybody (only once you get good) has some stuff they are amazing at, some stuff which is maybe even unique to them.

Take fuzzy, his knowledge of setups and reading/recovery are off the charts, as is his frame-perfectness.
Prof is really good at camping till he gets that 1 hit, followed by an attempt at a death combo.
Edwin has the best spacing... in europe, and frame-perfect timing.
Va - im sorry i dont get to play you enough, but from what i saw u got mad zoning skills.

Its almost like some people manage to input personality into their character.

To be truly good you need to be able to search and detect a players strengths and weaknesses, and also be able to DI really well, and space. Tech skill is not required, useful and looks cool though. All the top pros bring a little something to the table, a little something that you cant just imitate. you also cant disrespect it, because you literally have NO idea how annoyingly deep this game is.

Chances are you watch a youtube video - you are not watching the same video that i am waching. You may see the ****, but you do not understand the significance of that empty short-hop while fox is fire-foxing off the stage somewhere

Conor - the point you are missing is... everybody

everybody

eeverybody

sucks a$$ at smash apart from our top 4/6. everybody else in the community..? get ***** in pools, IF you are lucky enough to make it to round 2. Our top pros? Get ***** in 2nd round pools. Fuzzyness is the exception, but even he could get taken out by some nobody shiek, who happens to have the best tech-chase in the world - but looses to ganon, so never makes it out of pools anyway.

i may have missed your point... if this is the case, i hereby declare your point mute, and hope that you learn something from this post. You, suck. i, suck. all your friends, yup they all suck a$$ at smash. HUMILITY goes a long way. I genuinely believe i will be the best. I am also aware how rubbish i currently am at smash. Utmost confidence, with humility. If i beat somebody i dont ever think "im teh best!!" naw, instead i think yo.. that guy is not a very good player by any stretch of the imagination.

just some thoughts i have been having on smash recently. Not even particularily aimed at Conor.. Conors post was just what ushered these thoughts on, so i made him the subject.

j3ly

Smash Champion
ya know that was tunas first tournament as a whole?
according to his friend on their board (link above, mudkipz)

that was literally his first tournament according to my source

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Ok i havent really got time to do shoutouts, if i did some it'd be like in 2 weeks, and thats no good, so i'll just give a short paragraph about it.

First of all it was an awsome tourney, best tourney ive attended so far (thanks for hosting it Charles), loved the matches against VA and Prof, those were soooooo fun. Nice to meet some new people such as Teran, such a cool guy srs. Shlurpie and GP, man u guys are so cool as well, was fun friendlies with you guys. Calz and Kira are too good. Err lets see, warning is too good at melee, the games we had with u guys were fun too. JMiller, Ixis u suck at Mkwii relying on items, BASIC items are BROKEN as well, next time rematch with no items.

Ive prolly forget a bunch of people, but if i have forgot u, u know u who u r and u know that i think ur amazing.

Apolagies for Grammer.

FlyCondor

Smash Cadet
lol I seem to be digging myself a hole here. Oh well, here we go anyways, I've got a lot of free time at the moment:

Yeah I'm not really sure how to address any of the points here, because you dont seem to be making any. I am not trying to suck up to anyone and the constant implications that I am are just getting boring now. Also I am sorry at causing offense with the sad thing, I was just irritated by your initial response.

As for barely responding when we met in RL. er. I don't really remember it so I havent anything to say there.

but i would just say people deserve some credit
Retro makes some good arguments why he respects certain players. I'm not saying these are bad reasons to respect a player, there are good reasons, but to respect someones ability is different to respecting an individual (i.e. ronaldo). As for the U.S comparison, I would definately find it easier to respect more top U.S players because not only is the scene more competitive, but it seems to me many of them have been at top level for a longer period of time.

@j3ly

Good points, I suppose I ignored that in certain areas, VA, Prof and Edwin are the best and worthy of respect just for that. But sometimes its like going to a football match. You may see and appreciate individual and group feats of skill, but the end result is all that really matters.

I should know I'm a fulham fan.

TunaCasserole

Smash Journeyman
@J3ly: Just to clarify, this wasn't my first tournament ever, but it's the first recent one I've been to in a long time, and is the biggest tournament I've ever been to. In total, including GT2, I've been to 3 or 4, but all of them were a long time ago :D

If some of my other travel plans fall through, I might be able to make it back to London for a bit so if I can, I'll let you guys know :D More smash more smash more smash more smash

Calzorz

Smash Lord
what is this nonsense about someone not respecting because they get below 1st place if u think like tht ul show respect to one person and get alot of haters on urself , rather than fill the thread caring how this guy thinks why not just ignore him n show him no respect its only 1 person who shows u no respect so why bother showing him respect ,

Shoutouts:

Calzorz: good **** son proved to everyone u stil got what it takes to ****

Cloudrain: **** son u stepped it up im proud of u doing so well in doubles and singles also we didnt get crews in

Miller: nice to see u again man well done in singles and good games on mkwii no items next time

kira: thanks for housing man ur too cool sick falco as ever learn the marth matchup with falco its possible trust me dont run from it

Warning: wtf is this d throw knee d air , **** meele combos but nice to speak to u for the first time also

Anakin: impressive improvment from ur marth , improved more than i think u could in a short amount of time , great teamwork in doubles and impressive gameplay in singles ur too good

fuzzyness: thanks for hosting was the best tourny yet and gratz on meele as usual

Prof: shame u came 3 hours late i was hoping to see u go the distance through winners bracket rather than losers taking edwins spot also fun 2v2's in meele

Va: Impressive 2nd place and nearly taking 1st i heard? nice to see u stepping it up im pretty sure every1 wants to see charles loose to u and prof hahah XD also same as i said to prof fun 2v2s

Ixis: IXIS WHAT CAN I SAY ALWAYS GOOD TO MEET YOU shame u didnt enter singles i swear u did it hoping bowser wud drop down the tier list face it he isnt low tier material when u use him XD thanks for the cf vs bowser set

G.p & Slurp: good to see you two as ur first tourny i didnt really know who you both were to gp nice ike and keep it up , to slurp i hope my training helped / freindlies im glad you two both came to the scene

Edwin: nice to see you again edwin and i watched you on meele for the first time was impressive that f air spacing works to good u see i would of liked to see u vs prof and va tho (dono if it happend) kind of u to give prof ur spot

KILLERJAWZ xD!!: alright man u need to go outside and calm down xD jk nice to see u again kj but tell me this ... WHAT HAPPEND VS FUZZY YOU HAD 20 people CHEERING FOR YOU U GET HIM 260% AND CANT KILL D: unlucky man next time u got it see u at andys fest

Xatm: im sorry i had to get u first round man my bad xD but ggs also nice to meet u and nice paper airoplane races THAT IS TOO PRO

Siri: nice to see u again siri AND THE PEACH T SHIRT XD!! WAS TOO EPIC MAN i was like **** hes made my shirt look bad now xD

kmac : gratz on making it out of pools kmac epic and nicely done doing so well in doubles KMAC SEEDED

Willz : congratz on 4th thanks for help run brawl and also nicely done geting 2nd in dubs with cloudrain

P3: nice to see you again didnt get to see ur zss play this time mybe next time tho XD

Hoe4u: good to see u again and i thought u and ixis wud of got further in doubles

Rake: good to see you again man thanks for the mm keep up the tlink

Calzum : SD2k yea i forgot about u but i have put u in now xD lol at u begging kmac to let u win never thought id see that day but yea good to see u again

ok i could of missed out some people sorry if i did its either bad memory or i just rushed it n forgot about you

Heartstring

Smash Legend
haha, it's almost funny how me and shlurpie are always considered a duo despite our obvious skill gap (im joking if you read this shlurpeh)
although eventually ill become better known from placing high

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom