• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashGT 2 (Melee + Brawl) March 27/28th UK National CONFIRMED

Status
Not open for further replies.

J03

Smash Master
my apologes, you seem to have concentrated on the most negative parts of my post. for the important parts just look at ants post haha.

has anyone played lawrencelot. its going to be impossible to gauge his level w/o some form of info T_T

EDIT: from what ive seen on youtube (i dont think were gonna find someone whose played him haha) he looks to be at least more able then some of the lesser high seeds and warrants a seed.

VA

Smash Hero
well fuzzy seeded him at the last monthly.

I think I played lawrencelot in Holland, I think I 3 stocked him twice...I dunno though.

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
well fuzzy seeded him at the last monthly.

I think I played lawrencelot in Holland, I think I 3 stocked him twice...I dunno though.
That's correct I think, you owned me pretty bad... craiigg also beat me in friendlies most of the time, he was playing really well. On the tourney I linked above I lost to Dave and to VA. On my last big tournament (OSTS: Alliance) I lost to pamaro, beat Goat, then lost to Baxon. Before these I didn't get out of pouls in any big tournament

VA

Smash Hero
I can't tell, I playde 2 games against him and beat him pretty bad. I've 4 stocked crabman and L-J in tournament so who knows how well he'd do against them?

Basically I can't rank it very well at all.

Aiko

Smash Champion
There will be 8 pools.

how many advance through is dependant on the actual turnout, but we are doing a minimum of top 16. There is a possibility of top 24, and I'm personally think a top 32 if we have 56+ entrants. I have to run this through charles first though.

J03

Smash Master
if we increase the bracket size we double the time.

i think its exponential as well, as in, top 24 takes twice as long as top 16, and top 32 takes 4x as long.

TunaCasserole

Smash Journeyman
Aiko, if you want accuracy, then Top 24 is the way to go. Yeah, it takes a bit longer than Top 16, but it avoids the possibility of a big ****-up in pools. Also, Top 32 is clearly the most accurate, but is also excessive. My vote is for Top 24 :D Assuming we have the time, anyway!

Hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Aiko, if you want accuracy, then Top 24 is the way to go. Yeah, it takes a bit longer than Top 16, but it avoids the possibility of a big ****-up in pools. Also, Top 32 is clearly the most accurate, but is also excessive. My vote is for Top 24 :D Assuming we have the time, anyway!

Hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype
lol Assumming we have time.......WE HAVE TWO DAYS!!!!
Unless the community is on some next stupid flex then singles will be getting done.
I hope TV's get numbered at this tournament to help it run through.
We can do a 32 man bracket we have enough people for it.

We will def get more then 50 people coming to this and I know quite a few people.

I don't see how 32 man bracket is excessive :confused: it just equals more games and more accurates placements.

2 DAYS AWAY!!!

TunaCasserole

Smash Journeyman
The only reason I say that 32-man brackets are excessive is because it seems that Aiko and Fuzzy feel under pressure to finish everything on time...I've got no problem with doing that if organizers judge that there's enough time for it :D

VA

Smash Hero
I know this is late, but can you ban neutrals? I think there should be a rule against this. Otherwise you can tactically ban another stage in order to guarentee the first game goes to a certain place. Or is it bans after game 1? Cos that would be good.

The_Rake

Smash Lord
I know this is late, but can you ban neutrals? I think there should be a rule against this. Otherwise you can tactically ban another stage in order to guarentee the first game goes to a certain place. Or is it bans after game 1? Cos that would be good.
i believe the rule is ban after game 1

VA

Smash Hero
uh, not here they don't. last tournament I went to charles banned DL64 off the random against me in GF, so I responded by banning PS, confirming FD as the first stage. So yeah, this better not happen again...

The_Rake

Smash Lord
Hmm VA, looking at thr front it's confusing
It says Ban stage then random pick

underneath that it says you ban after the first game
(thats melee of course, brawl is more clear cut)

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
The only reason I say that 32-man brackets are excessive is because it seems that Aiko and Fuzzy feel under pressure to finish everything on time...I've got no problem with doing that if organizers judge that there's enough time for it :D
They won't feel under pressure :confused:
People can just go up to the laptop and see who they have to play themselves.

And there WILL be enough time lol.....don't you realize that this is going to carry on for two days, singles will end before it even close to the end on the second day.

I want more accurate placing determine the level of the UK even better so 32 man bracket.

It's supposed to be stage striking for the first match, and then bans afterwards. Hopefully that's how it is at GT2 :p
Stage striking is pretty unnecessary when there are only 3 stages on random.
I thought that there was 5 stages on random for this tournament until I looked properly and realized it's only hte main 3.

And what's going on, isit ban staghe straight away or one game and then stage?

And I guess it's tooo late to change the tournament rules from 3 stages to 5.....or isit?

AmcD

Smash Ace
I thought the rules had be changed :S
I'm sure they got changed to 5 stage neutral with stage striking then after game 1 each player gets a ban.

mcmuff1nman

Smash Lord
Ok, sorry for being so late in replying but wanted to have enough time as possible to see if i could still go. Unfortunately due to health issues i am unable to attend, and have gave away my ticket.

So, Fuzzy has a spare place. :)

Kasper!

Smash Lord
can i ask something? what are those people who arent playing doubles but are entering for singles gonna do while the tourney is going on?

TunaCasserole

Smash Journeyman
They won't feel under pressure :confused:
People can just go up to the laptop and see who they have to play themselves.

And there WILL be enough time lol.....don't you realize that this is going to carry on for two days, singles will end before it even close to the end on the second day.

I want more accurate placing determine the level of the UK even better so 32 man bracket.

Stage striking is pretty unnecessary when there are only 3 stages on random.
I thought that there was 5 stages on random for this tournament until I looked properly and realized it's only hte main 3.

And what's going on, isit ban staghe straight away or one game and then stage?

And I guess it's tooo late to change the tournament rules from 3 stages to 5.....or isit?

NO, man. HELLLL no. That's a perfect recipe for things to get ****ed up :psycho:

Someone should be manning the laptop and constantly updating the bracket, and announcing matches as they should happen. If that person has a match to play, let another trusted person take over for the time being. Theoretically, there would be nothign wrong with letting people organize their own matches by looking at the bracket, but, unfortunately, it's unreasonable to trust people to conduct these operations for themselves as has been proven by many disorganized tournaments in the past.

Also yes, please clarify the rules Mr. Fuzzy :D Personally, I find that anything other than 5 neutrals, first match stage striking, then bans / counterpicks is a little strange <__>

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
NO, man. HELLLL no. That's a perfect recipe for things to get ****ed up :psycho:

Someone should be manning the laptop and constantly updating the bracket, and announcing matches as they should happen. If that person has a match to play, let another trusted person take over for the time being. Theoretically, there would be nothign wrong with letting people organize their own matches by looking at the bracket, but, unfortunately, it's unreasonable to trust people to conduct these operations for themselves as has been proven by many disorganized tournaments in the past.

Also yes, please clarify the rules Mr. Fuzzy :D Personally, I find that anything other than 5 neutrals, first match stage striking, then bans / counterpicks is a little strange <__>
There is someone manning the laptop and when the bracket starts people do read out who is playing who...

But you can also just walk up the laptop and input your win and see who you got to play next. That happens at EVERY SINGLE London Monthly and there's never been problem with people LITERALLY JUST double clicking on their name in the bracket when they have won the match to advance lol :confused:

And people go up to the laptop to see how far the brackets are progressing all the time and the laptop is never completely left by itself as there are always people in this little room where the laptop is playing some gay games lol.
If you understand how things work you will understand that everything will be OK and thats seriously the very least of problems.

J03

Smash Master
regardless of what is on the front page, the rules for stage striking are this.

you do the striking (p1 takes off 1 stage, p2 takes off 2 stages, then p1 takes off the last stage, there are 5 striking stages so you will always be left with one stage that is the most neutral for the both players in the set. p1 is decided by rock, paper scissors)

you play the first game

THEN you both ban (winner of game one bans first)

then you continue as normal with daves rule (unable to counterpick the stage you LAST won on)

^truth, no foolsies

Stage Rulings: i am more then certain that we are using stage striking at this tourney so the first post is lies =P, if the counterpick list hasnt chaged then the list is as such:

Neutral/Strikng Stages

Pokemon Stadium
Final Destination
Dreamland 64
Fountain of Dreams
Yoshi's Story

Counterpick Stages:

Battlefield
Kongo Jungle N64
Brinstar
Mute City
Corneria
Rainbow Ride
Pokefloats

Pro: we have 2 days BUT we also have 2 games melee/brawl and 4 events singles/doubles for both. I cant imagine there being any issues with time but its best to play it safe.

As for the schedule, i imagine brawl and melee doubles and singles-pools will be done on day 1. with singles-brackets done on day 2 and possibly doubles finals being saved for day 2 (although i hope itsd not as imo its a distraction).

Charles is very busy today with uni work and may not get a chance to correct any errors in the post. if hes online later i will ask him to look this post up and alter it if needed. If he is unable, take this post as truth untill game day, where charles will clarify any alterations.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
By playing it safe do you mean doing a 24 man bracket.
That's not playing it safe because 32 man bracket is ridiculously safe.

Reducing 32 man is quite a dramtice change, 8 placements go out the window, we have more then enough time to finish singles and then do little mess about things after.

J03

Smash Master
edited my earlier post to include all tourney rules ans such.

pro: when i say play it safe i mean that if we have 1 game and 1 day that is usually rushed to be finished, how is 2 days and 2 games going to be any different?

also, for some reason i aint loading most peoples avatar pictures anymore and ive no idea why, any ideas anyone?

J03

Smash Master
my bad, im nto fimialr with the monthlies, but i dont think you guys usually do doubles right? that said doubles takes less then half the amount of time so we should have 1/3 to a 1/2 a day extra to run a 24 or 32 man bracket i guess =o

also if noone remembers i was going to lend my loud voice and strict ways to charles at the january monthly to help things run smoothly. so you can expect my services to be called upon this weekend >:D

Tamoo

Smash Master
I think 32 man bracket isn't much more than 24, there is just one and a half less set of matches I believe ie. One and a half set of byes. To do a 24 man bracket if we had the time would mean we could do a 32 IMO.

And there is generally no problem with ppl going and putting their results as long as they look at who they should be playing next.

Basically agree with prof

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
edited my earlier post to include all tourney rules ans such.

pro: when i say play it safe i mean that if we have 1 game and 1 day that is usually rushed to be finished, how is 2 days and 2 games going to be any different?

We do two games in one day at London Monthlies.....why doesn't ANYONE out of London actually realize that lol.

Almas

Smash Lord
Are both games being split over both days? Or can I, say, attend on only one day which is the Melee day? I can't see information in the first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom