• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashturbation 2010 - Markham, Ontario - July 11, 2010

Geist

Smash Master
Well looks like I'll be forced to play with different people this time :laugh:

How's it looking for recording David?

Edit: I'm only going to be able to bring one TV this time sorry :[
Should I bother bringing my second cube setup? It looks to me like there's going to be more setups than TVs anyways.

idea

Smash Master
that sounds fine, i expect most of the tvs people are bringing will be small anyway. and bigger ones could even just sit on the floor, really.

want me to bring a power bar or something?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
ATTENTION TO PEOPLE WHO AREN'T REGISTERED BUT STILL WANT TO COME:

I am trying to figure out whether or not we can support more outside people. My Dad and I will talk tomorrow.

If you still wish to come, please keep an eye on this thread while I work out population logistics, space issues, and possible solutions to the population problem with him. We have a small home and many breakable objects and taking 25+ people assures that the main floor (where most of these breakables are) will be crowded, which is a big reason why there is apprehension. Things have been broken in the past because people have not listened to instructions. We have also had valuables stolen.

I will hopefully have an answer by tomorrow. The thread will be updated on Wednesday at the latest.

It is entirely possible that I may not be able to get the population extension. If this happens and you show up with unregistered people, I will not let you (or them) into my house. I understand that we all want to play, but ultimately my Dad has the final say and if he refuses (which he is allowed to - letting 20 people into his house is already a tall order) then I need to respect that. And you, by extension, also need to respect that. Do something fun with the weekend, come back next time if you're still interested.

I must stress that my ability to host these largely hinges on our ability to clean up the mess after the tournament. If you are leaving early, please make sure your trash is thrown out and that you have not left extra mess for everyone else to clean up. It is extremely disrespectful to know that you're leaving early and not contribute to the clean up. It is also very unhelpful to carry the mindset that "I didn't contribute to the mess, therefore I don't have the help with the cleanup". Such a mindset is not welcome at these events, especially with the amount of effort placed in convincing my Dad to let me try hosting these again.

I really like the tournament environment. I really do. And I love the community. And I fully intend to host more of these in the future, but in order for that to succeed I require cooperation from everyone. This needs to be a group effort or these tournaments will die.

@ Idea - Power bars are very welcome. In fact, if people could bring them, that would amazing. I forgot about those entirely.

@ blowtoes - I think we're fine for consoles if other people bring (most of) what's listed. TVs are typically the larger issue.

Windrose

Smash Lord
Update: My GC is broken it keeps crashing during play, I can only bring a copy of melee + memory card if needed now.

.Marik

is a social misfit
David, I'm going to be in Toronto this weekend.

Let me know if I can still come, I'm also interested in being housed for the night. Is this possible?

sauc3

Smash Lord
what are the housing options like? can anyone house me until the next morning I'm going to be busing it from union, i do not require a bed or sheets, a pillow would be appreciated however :)

idea

Smash Master
well, based on what he said before, david/kirbykaze is trying to see if more people can come or not (i guess the cap is pretty much full already?)...so he'll probably post about that in a while.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Thread updated.

We are not allowed to use the Dining Room table for setups and my Dad has requested minimal (3) setups on the main floor.

In exchange, we are allowed to use my sister's old bedroom and the cap has been increased.

If I told you we were full earlier, please re-post here if you are still interested in coming.

We're going to need power bars and extension cords. If you have some to spare, please bring them.

Omniscius

Smash Cadet
I'd like to come if there's more space now. I can bring a copy of SSBM and a recording setup.

idea

Smash Master
oh, i should mention that my one power bar doubles as an extension cord, since it has a really long cord. i might bring a second one too.

Geist

Smash Master
I can pitch in 2 power bars, not so sure about extension cords though.
I'm going to try to contact Andy to see if he can come too. I'll have more on that later. Nevermind I'm stupid HURR

_Asian_Kenny_

Smash Cadet
if there's any more space, turns out i can come to this. i can bring wii, melee, memory card, and a long extension cord. also is there any free parking nearby?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
if there's any more space, turns out i can come to this. i can bring wii, melee, memory card, and a long extension cord. also is there any free parking nearby?
Yes, there is, at the school and in the visitor's parking lot on Proctor Ave, next to the animal clinic.

I wrote you down.

idea

Smash Master
oh, sauce, if david can't i probably can. i mean, i can be your backup place, so you don't need to worry about not having somewhere to stay when you come all the way here =P

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I'll post again, can anyone house me until sunday? I dun want to sleep at union lol.
I can support you, but I want to know who else is interested in crashing.

So far, the only person I know that I've guaranteed housing to is Marik. If I forgot you, please tell me.

Windrose

Smash Lord
I was on my friend's computer and he refuses to use anything besides explorer for some reason.
Explorer isn't as bad as it used to be. He's probably a firm supporter of explorer. I used to be this guy because I was hardcore microsoft and believed that I can make explorer work if I know what I'm doing. I just didn't like all the "facts" people were churning out of nowhere when incomparison of explorer vs firefox or chrome.

I use both now these days, both have uses.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
ATTENTION PEOPLE COMING IN CARS:

The visitor parking on Proctor is undergoing heavy construction. You will likely have to park at Henderson Ave Public School parking, near the tennis courts.

Geist

Smash Master
Are there enough setups for pools? With the upped cap and everything?
If not, I can try reeeeeallly hard to get another TV, but I can't guarantee anything.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Are there enough setups for pools? With the upped cap and everything?
If not, I can try reeeeeallly hard to get another TV, but I can't guarantee anything.
If you bring the 1 TV (sorry for not updating first post - slipped my mind) you said you could, and Acidile brings his, and GWen brings his, and The Mighty Kiwi brings his, and Ministry brings his, then we get 8 after we include the three I have.

8 TVs for 32 people is sufficient to get pools done. 2 TVs per pool is good, in my experience.

If we get less than 6 I'm just running a straight bracket, as outlined in the original post.

Windrose

Smash Lord
^I think it's from Kingdom Hearts (could be wrong, haven't touched square-enix in a while since they've stopped churning out good products -ff13-???)

Top Bottom