• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Smooth Lander and Heavy Gravity (SLHG)

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
that there was one unintended Special Smash bug that worked online and due to having their entire team devoting time to making brand new DLC characters, stages, costumes and balance changes they didnt have time to implement it back in regularly because of the amount of work it'd take

TheDerp

Smash Cadet
Roses are Red, Violets are Red, Everything is Red.
NNID
DerpynessRules
For anyone that's having trouble loading Homebrew, something I prefer to do first, is to delete the web file that's added when you enter the site from the sd. I just prefer to do this because it works for me. So now open up your 3DS, go to the Internet and make a quick search (just to be safe I also delete history). When you scan the QR code you should be in Homebrew now. I mean works for me all the time.

Muro

Smash Lord
Now that we got that behind us, let's start the real questions. Should we go for 22 speed, or should we go for 23 speed?

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Alright, here's the new SLAJ Starter Kit: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7VGqv2RnmrTR0VER0gyZDhLNkE/view?usp=sharing

Changes:

- BrowserHax payloads are now included in the download, hopefully this will alleviate some of the bootrate problems.
- The save file has been re-created off of a fresh save, including new additions Bayonetta and Corrin.
- Boot.3dsx (Homebrew Launcher) has been replaced with a much cleaner variant that should be easier to use.
- How-To.txt now has a short troubleshooting guide at the bottom, along with altered directions.
- MenuHaxManager is now included in the set-up, which completely gets rid of the need of BrowserHax after setting it up, along with allowing offlne Homebrew Launcher usage.

Also, you may notice the folders are divided into "New/Old 3DS" > "USA". The reason for "New/Old 3DS" is because the payloads differ depending on the model you're using. The "USA" is because I plan on adding a default PAL save file once TheDerp TheDerp sends me a fresh save.

SaturnFrost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaturnFrost
first we need to make sure people can actually get this working because so far only Hobbes has had an easy time doing it
I have it working as well ^_^. was a cake walk.

Would you guys be interested in testing a build with Hard breaker as well as the current build? (scrapping moon launcher in its place for hardbraker for the 2nd build). I'm not sure what im doing wrong but i tried editing using the smash editor with no success.

YBS-Salt

Smash Rookie
I really hate to be that guy and i know i might be hated for this but SLAJ was a good idea but it isnt fun at all not in any sorta way SLHG was actually more balanced then this because it didnt suffer that hard from the effects of the gravity unlike SLAJ where throwing out short hop aerials are dumb because you wont hit anything at all, and im dont sure what direction SLAJ was going in but its literally a nerfed melee where Sheik is GOD tier and its about whoever has the best aerials and hitstun in the game hence why i said Sheik is GOD tier its kinda Smash 4 Hell right there and just for one single attempt to stop someone from recovering offstage you get punished by the gravity or you just die with them there was so many times i thought gravity was a playable character in this game and the set for SLAJ is to reliant on speed which i actually see where your coming from but it doesnt really help THAT much i think we need a bit more power because if im correct more power means more hitstun right? in SLAJ their are combos but they are easy to screw up thanks to gravity unless your Sheik the only way to get them is if your opponents DI is trash or you use a broken move that was made broken thanks to Smooth Lander, IDK guys this was a unique idea but its actually more braindead then that actual game.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Periods and paragraph breaks are your friend, buddy.

I haven't had the chance to try SLAJ but I'm not really seeing where it'd be any worse than SLHG (besides the greater barrier to entry). Recoveries seem to be fixed, aerials should function pretty much the same but with some slightly better ground/air mobility...

Sheik is very likely the best character still but the important part is that everyone else can compete. She's far from the only character with aerials that safe now, and many of them can outrange her. I doubt the switch from HG to AJ affects the game THAT MUCH. Any problems you have with AJ should also apply to HG unless there's something we're missing here.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
idk what you just said but ok

btw in case anybody is wondering, knockback and jump heights are the same as SLHG

SaturnFrost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaturnFrost
add meh NNID "SaturnFrost"...i can play for a bit

Last edited:

SAHunterMech

Smash Journeyman
...okay, I'm going to try and tackle this.

I really hate to be that guy and i know i might be hated for this but SLAJ was a good idea but it isnt fun at all not in any sorta way SLHG was actually more balanced then this because it didnt suffer that hard from the effects of the gravity unlike SLAJ
To clarify, characters actually suffer less in SLAJ, most notably the ones with momentum-based recoveries (Sonic, MegaMan, Duck Hunt).

where throwing out short hop aerials are dumb because you wont hit anything at all, and im dont sure what direction SLAJ was going in but its literally a nerfed melee where Sheik is GOD tier and its about whoever has the best aerials and hitstun
I'm not sure how you reached the conclusion that throwing out Short-Hop-Fast-Fall aerials is different enough between SLHG and SLAJ to the point of being "dumb". The difference in speed between SLHG and SLAJ is 22, and the differences to landing lag and air speed is quite subtle.

Having good aerials is a plus in SLHG/SLAJ, but with the overall boost to their effectiveness, a proportional one that means the more landing lag a move has, the more of a reduction it will receive, which aerials are bad, exactly? Bad enough to be outshined by the so-called 'GOD', Sheik?

It's also worth mentioning that hitstun is not a character-specific property, nor has it ever been in any smash game. Hitstun is a universal property that is applied to all characters.

and the set for SLAJ is to reliant on speed which i actually see where your coming from but it doesnt really help THAT much i think we need a bit more power because if im correct more power means more hitstun right?
You're technically correct, but that wouldn't change anything. More damage (i.e., an increase to the power stat) would cause more knockback, and consequently hitstun, but it's moot. Hitstun is directly affected by knockback sustained. More power won't increase the hitstun multiplier, the hitstun multiplier is a constant that cannot be changed.

As for the rest of your post, I'm sorry to say, but it just sounds like Johns to me. Change is scary, but, hang in there. Knowledge is power, and hopefully by the time you've read all this, you'll know that much more about how to improve.

ZADD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zaddthemadd
After messing around with friends for a few hours, its obvious that SLAJ is just SLHG 2.0...

• Combos/knockback feel identcal to SLHG, but also Upwards knockback functions more NORMALLY compared to slhg.
  • We can use it online, win.
  • Recoveries are perfectly fine! Sonic, DHD, Diddy, Mega Man etc. Feels SO good to say that!
  • Due to 22+ speed, all pivot cancels function like wavedashes. As opposed to only 5-ish characters having truly viable pivot games, now its universal.
  • Off-stage fighting is still dangerous, but no longer exclusive to "good recovery" characters!
  • I can share this build with anyone's Wii U. They can keep ALL their data, and have access to SLAJ in 10 minutes.

SLAJ is an improvement on SLHG in every way, i dont see myself going back to slhg ever.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I figure at some point I'm going to rebuy the DLC characters on my 3DS so that I'm able to share the DLC characters, but for the time being the main 49 or so plus Mewtwo will have to do. I just need to get off my lazy butt and set it up.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I did the save data stuff but the game wouldn't boot the file cause I wasn't on the latest update. I've had to update my 3DS's system firmware for you guys so I could get on the eShop to download the latest Smash update, which means rip ironhax for me. I can at least use browser/menuhax if I need to use homebrew in the future though. Will post my impressions once I've got everything set back up.

{C]rown

Smash Rookie
NNID
PJSALTY
I just wanted to say i'm in love with SLAJ and I appreciate you guys bringing back SLHG in a new and improved form keep up the good work and I hope this gets famous one day.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Awesome, got all the sets plus the equipment. I went the extra mile and used the custom move unlocker to unlock all the customs before installing my save data as well. I know it's been a taboo topic in the past, but, since we're using the 3DS homebrew anyways...wizard dropkick hype? :p

Now to actually transfer all of the characters over. :4dedede:

SaturnFrost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaturnFrost
Awesome, got all the sets plus the equipment. I went the extra mile and used the custom move unlocker to unlock all the customs before installing my save data as well. I know it's been a taboo topic in the past, but, since we're using the 3DS homebrew anyways...wizard dropkick hype? :p

Now to actually transfer all of the characters over. :4dedede:
stream incoming? :denzel:

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Not today, but maybe soon! ;)

Also gosh dang does it feel good to be able to use Sonic and Duck Hunt without worrying about their recoveries.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Definitely dropping Marth for Bayonetta. She's the most fun I've ever had in this game. She feels so rewarding to do things right with, oh my god...

Make sure of you join the discord, btw <3

{C]rown

Smash Rookie
NNID
PJSALTY
Definitely dropping Marth for Bayonetta. She's the most fun I've ever had in this game. She feels so rewarding to do things right with, oh my god...

Make sure of you join the discord, btw <3

Corrin Still Bae tho :p

{C]rown

Smash Rookie
NNID
PJSALTY
Marth does feel good indeed especially with the buffs recently Marth is looking pretty scary and the combos are on point it sometimes felt like i was playing melee

Chaozrush21

Smash Cadet
NNID
dotmae
3DS FC
3007-8540-3431
Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima Everytime I import your SLAJ Save file I get the following error: "Unable to use the save data since it is not the latest data. Would you like to create new save data?"
I have tried all 3 methods at this point and I still get this error. Does it have to do with me unlocking 2 challenges automatically due to me having every piece of Smash DLC every time I reset my save file?

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
If you're using a digital copy, you can only use Method Also, after backing up your game, you can not start Smash until you import the edited save, otherwise it won't work.

Chaozrush21

Smash Cadet
NNID
dotmae
3DS FC
3007-8540-3431
I'm going to assume you're talking about Method 3. Method 3 worked fine, but I couldn't transfer any of the customs to my Wii U due to the game saying it was a irregular save file. I even double checked the save file to see where I messed up at and I couldn't find anything remotely wrong with it. I'll try to give it a go again to see if it will work now. Also, I would probably put that part about none of the other methods working on the digital version of the game in the guide just in case another person become the victim of a forever lost save file.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Oh, the How-To document has incorrect stats for Method 3.

Change Moon Launcher's badge to -24 Attack, 0 Defense, 10 Speed, Range 13
Change Smooth Lander's badge to -25 Attack, 0 Defense, 12 Speed, Range 9

That should work.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I can't test SLAJ atm since I gave my copy of the 3DS version to my sis. I either need to get it back (to be fair, she never plays it) or my cousin would have to use this method with his copy. Gonna see if he's willing first, then give it a try though we'll have to get every character save for Ryu and Bayo on it.

And amusingly the thought of Sonic having a proper recovery in SLAJ makes me not want to use him. Not a big fan of his playstyle and it was funny to use a viable, annoying character that was knocked down a peg.

If I ever get around to getting SLAJ I might join the discord and ask for matches either here or there but until then~

Meme Devourer

Smash Rookie
Oh, the How-To document has incorrect stats for Method 3.

Change Moon Launcher's badge to -24 Attack, 0 Defense, 10 Speed, Range 13
Change Smooth Lander's badge to -25 Attack, 0 Defense, 12 Speed, Range 9

That should work.
Can confirm. It worked and I can use SLAJ online. Thanks

Muro

Smash Lord
  • Off-stage fighting is still dangerous, but no longer exclusive to "good recovery" characters!
As I feared, recoveries buffed and less gimps. Still the rest makes up for it, I do remember I enjoyed the speed boost of build 3 at least onstage. I'm gonna update the OP with slaj info and change the name to smooth gravity.

BlueFury

Smash Cadet
Yea Smooth Gravity overall is a better name I think and I may just have a way to get the slaj equipment stuff from my lil' brother friend.

Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima or @ArtfulHobbes
The question is if my brother gets his friend to do it for his wii u could he transfer it to my wii u when he moves back from college? And if so will I lose everything or will it be fine?

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Unfortunately you can't transfer from Wii U to Wii U, and custom character transfers are only one way. So you can't do 3DS to Wii U to another 3DS...you would need to transfer directly from the 3DS that was originally hacked, which in this case is your brother's friend's.

Also Muro Muro most recoveries should work more or less the same, just with slightly better air mobility. The three notable changes come in the form of Sonic, Duck Hunt, and Mega Man, who can now recover competently like the rest of the cast. Diddy's is better as well but it still seems gimped from vanilla. Dedede's should be closer to vanilla as well but I haven't really tested it yet, and to be honest even with the lower Dedede Jump he still had a bonkers recovery in SLHG.

Top Bottom