• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake Grab Release?

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
As a note against Snake. I was playing as Pikachu against my brother and he recovered high and went to land on the stage. I caught him before he TECHNICALLY hit the ground and just let him release. He popped in the air and I ran forward and caught him again. (NO grabjabs.) I chained 3 grabs and watched him fall helpless.

Can we do that? He might have been able to escape. He's not really good.
So this was said on the sonic matchup thread. There is a potential grab release on snake. can someone test this? i highly doubt it will work (terios said his brother doesnt use snake much) but if it does....... cgs at high damage to usmash? yes plox

EDIT: after looking at the replay he said

Err... Hmmm... It's actually WAY different than I remember it.... The point about the cypher still stands though. He was using Upb and landed on the stage. I caught him. Then GROUND released. He even turned around in his standing animation and then I dash grabbed twice. THEN he fell off and died. No second jump or upB to be had. I THINK what happened was......

Okay. You know how Lucario can't use his up B again after traveling along the ground if he doesn't jump first? Just like that.
any thoughts?

and the vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW5gP1dN-s4

gallax

Smash Hero
wel well well. if this turns out to be true then pika will have another slight advantage. although i may be reading this thing a little wrong.

video stealth. video.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
btw play me sometime. it feels like it has been years. capturing vid now. my thoughts first off is that this is a true gimp, as weird as it is. however, no snake will allow this to happen more then once, even then for more then one grab release, as itisnt a true grab release combo. however, it still for some reason. i will update this post as i get the vid up.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW5gP1dN-s4

M15t3R E

Smash Master
A grab release killed Snake?
I believe I've heard before that any character can do that. Just catch Snake as he's recovering and he falls helplessly to his death. I'm sure I've heard some people talk about that before.

EDIT: Though I see Terios did not catch Snake as he was recovering from off-stage.
I have never seen chained grab releases on any character before. It looks like Snake could have gotten out of that chain of grab releases without too much trouble but I could be wrong. We need some testing on this.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Yes, if you continually grab snake after he up b's toward the ledge letting him air release each time, it has the same effect of grabbing him once off the ledge. It's unlikely you'll get this off though since he'll probably land with an airdodge or a back air

guild525

Smash Rookie
Can't Snake just use his VB to detonate himself and get his Cypher back??

Edit: Although this could be nice to tack on damage =)...

K 2

Smash Lord
It seems after the grab release, Snake would technically be touching the ground, giving him his jumps and up b back...right?

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
Basically it started with a vid of a sonic ducking through a platform, then all of a sudden starting to spin in his helpless animation with no hope of recovery. eventually it was found out that if a sonic uses his up b perfectly spaced so he lands on the ledge/platform at the exact apex of his jump, he would then trigger a state where the next time he went into the air he entered a free fall animation. this could very well be related to that exact same phenomenom.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Hmmm... QAC where you reversed and shot Jolt to stop me from approaching while you recovered was neat. I was tired as **** and hopped up on Nyquil so I didn't have my usual analytical skills running. >.>

Also. I need to find way to keep Pikachu airbourne/on platforms. On the ground I was shielding WAY too much......

So what did you think of my Pikachu from what you saw? That was over a month ago in my defense. ^_^

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
a lot of short hopped fairs. that can be good, but overused and you can get punished. learn some combos, like the ones i were doing to you. we should do some pika dittos sometime. not only can you see what my pika does and try to do some of what i do, but i can get a better look at yours.

Press22

Smash Journeyman
I tested this like all night and couldn't get it to work. :(
It's kinda tough AND situational. (Most Snake's will Back Air or Grenade or something.)

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Very interesting find. Is it nearly inescapable for the Snake player though?
I don't THINK so. It looks easily escapable but that's by either.

A.) Grenade drop
B.) Jump.

Grenade drop is unlikely since you'll be moving forward with grab releases and you'll probably move AWAY from it.

An airborne Snake is an unhappy Snake.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Cool find, tested it and it works great, I wonder if it does work on G&W and the other chars who gets owned by getting grabbed at the ledge...

Top Bottom