• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake Video Thread of Manliness

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
I haven't seen Unholydeath post anything in a while, I was questioning whether he had quit Snake or not lol, gonna check the other vids as well :)
Das (Unholydeath) doesn't post many videos of himself actually.
I personally want him to upload more though. He has an interesting Snake imo.

Sago

Smash Lord

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
So I manned up and pulled Snake out in tourney.....and did kinda terribly, IMO. I mean, it was close, but my play was way too sloppy.
Bubbaking (Snake) vs Kels (Falco) (Match 3)
I need a LOT of critique here. Shred me apart, guys! Out of the three chars I probably use the most (ROB, Zard, and Snake), my Snake is easily the worst and I somewhat feel like he ultimately cost me my set against Kels (although Kels is a great player). Snake is probably also the most important of those three chars because he's supposed to be my anti-spacee character. :facepalm: Help me out here...

JTsm

Smash Master
At the first stock, you had some good oppotunities to grab him. It was nice to presuure with Ftilt, but if ftilted once then you could opt for a tech, sticky, or uptilt(maybe). I think in general you need to go for more grabs and stickies when you used UpB. I know I always want use aerials on my opponent, but if you find a chance stick or grab, then that's the better choice. When being comboed/juggled by Falco, try to recover high and do a Wavebounce with downb or nades. it's pretty useful when you use a Wavebounce right when they try to hit you to avoid getting hit. Falco is pretty gay most the time, so you really need to be conscious about positioning I guess. lol.

On the 3rd stock, you got the grab off and just like that, 97% in just a matter of seconds. That's what I really love about Snake. He has a really good comeback factor when with his huge amount of damage output. Also, I love when you reverse B when recovering. Such an amazing tool. Another thing that is really awesome is when Falco or anyone that's in the air above you can get juggled easily by using upb cancels. The cypher will gain control for you to get into position for a kill. You had that chance to do that on Kel's 3rd stock.

On the last stock, I think you could of used a nikita missle to edge guard him. He was in really bad position to deal with that.

Overall, I think you need to be more relentless and just go for the grabs and UpB tech. Falco and other spacies just gets ****ing decimated with those. I think that's all I can say since those two things (Grab/UpB) has too many options for you to use. But yeah, your snake isn't bad, but needs to go in more.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
So I manned up and pulled Snake out in tourney.....and did kinda terribly, IMO. I mean, it was close, but my play was way too sloppy.
Bubbaking (Snake) vs Kels (Falco) (Match 3)
I need a LOT of critique here. Shred me apart, guys! Out of the three chars I probably use the most (ROB, Zard, and Snake), my Snake is easily the worst and I somewhat feel like he ultimately cost me my set against Kels (although Kels is a great player). Snake is probably also the most important of those three chars because he's supposed to be my anti-spacee character. :facepalm: Help me out here...
If this is meant to be your anti-spacie character then why aren't you Chaingrabbing lol :(
You actually picked a pretty good stage for this MU, not much platforms to interrupt it and when they do land on one of the edge platforms you can follow it up with a Fair.
@ 14:10 you could have just CG'd and 14:17 you should have just re-grabbed.
it feels lame sometimes but it actually completely destroys these characters, the only way they can get out of it early is if they DI neutrally and then you get a completely free C4 stick.
Dash attack and Dacus are really good in the MU it gets underneath a lot of spacies BS and it's his quickest and pretty much only great approach 14:31
Important note for spacie MU, at 0% U-Throw (15:22) is a free stick nearly every time because they don't bounce on the floor, if you watch back you can notice you could have even got it but you jab his shield instead.

Also don't give so much respect for Falco's recovery, look at the last stock when Falco was off the edge, you allowed him to get back when you would have won (or at least had a better opportunity to) if you commited to something. I don't know if you know, but Up B actually out prioritizes Falco's Side B, meaning at 14:00 if you were to run down there and Up B in front of the ledge he wouldn't grab it so freely, and even if he did you didn't have to leave him there and let him get back on, you could have dropped a C4 near the edge, I didn't see you use C4 once, to either stick on the opponent nor for stage control.

WIDL

We Are Born
Watching some of these videos, I notice that some of you are really consistent with the DACUS. I picked up Snake, a little, in late January or something. I knew how to do DACUS pretty flawlessly in Brawl, and my technique is pretty decent with Snake in P:M, I'd say, but I can't... for... the... life of me figure of how to do those DACUSes even remotely well. Do you guys use a different button setting (I know I used L for attack in Brawl)?

I have some recordings here and there, I'll put them up later maybe! Might as well throw in this one though (from a tournament in March):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuEe64xnUlI

SAX

Smash Ace
Hey guys! I just did a smashfest today at Wizzy's place. It was streamed and recorded but the site is down atm. I'll post the link here as soon as I can to get my snake up there and critiqued. But it was a long day of smashing and I'm not sure how you would separate each of my matches on the stream.

There are things I need to work on as a player first and foremost. (tech skill mainly, as I primarily play brawl.) But I do seem to struggle the most against spacies. I manage to beat plup and wizzerobe and couple times, but for the most part they beat me consistently. I'm not sure if it's because I'm not doing something correct MU wise, or if I'm just getting outplayed, or my tech-skill isn't up to snuff enough with plup's and wizzy's to be able to keep up. I do pretty well against the other players, however. Please let me know once the site is back up!

EDIT: All right it's back up! there are two links!
http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios/b/420089118
I play snake from 42:30 - 56:50, 1:05:15 - 1:13:00, 2:59:15 (one game), 3:36:15 - 4:17:38, 4:24:23 (one game), 4:43:49 - end of stream.

http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios/b/420194284
I play snake from 4:30 - 18:10, 42:43 (one game), 51:15 - end of stream (should be last game of stream).

SAX

Smash Ace
The quality isn't the best, seeing as it heavily lags on some of the games, but it's still pretty good.

First link is mainly me vs plup and Doomchicken

Second is almost all me vs wizzy. I managed to beat him once... haha! I should have had the first game! But i choked :x

I'd love some feedback.

SAX

Smash Ace
I'll watch the vids when I wake up. Just got home and I'm super tired. I'll be able to help mostly with the sonic videos though, since I know the sonic mu really well haha (live next door to Wizzy). Snake wins the matchup in my opinion. I'll see if I notice anything with the other videos as well.

SAX

Smash Ace
Falco

Game 1:
- Right in the beginning I recommend not using Dsmash on the platform. Falco moves around alot on the ground while laser camping, and If you get a grab at low percents, you can throw them into the Dsmash and follow up, since the CG doesn't start until ~38%
- At 3:01, whenever someone is above you on a platform and shielding, you should ALWAYS think to sticky them. Sticky goes through shield, and then it cuts their kill % in half. Too good.
- You seems to be approaching a lot with Nair. Don't use it to approach. It has little priority and is beaten out and stopped very easily.
- Never see you use UpB OoS. It's really good and gives you space.
- 3:46 NUUUUU never forget the CG opportunities vs spacies. It can be so critical to pull those off, because it goes until about 90% and leads to a free sticky and then they are in kill percent on your next move that sends them upward.
- 4:06 THE FREE STICKY OPPORTUNITIES ARE KILLING ME
- 4:25 Try Fair after an upsmash hits. Very effective, especially if they miss the tech.
- 4:58 WHY YOU NO GRAB?! That could have been a jab reset > Uthrow > Utilt > regrab > CG sticky and he'd be at 90%. Probably winning you that game.
- Same thing at 5:05. Utilt > grab too good. Utilize it.
5:10 you easily just threw away that game. All you had to do was grab the ledge.

Game 2:
- 7:23 should have Upb'd. Would have sent him offstage and set up an edgegaurd.
- 8:32 GRAB AFTER THAT UTILT BRO. You could have gotten him to 90% AND have a sticky on him.
- 8:46 Grab OR Fsmash would have been much better options after that Dtilt. Preferably grab.
- You easily could have killed him at 9:04. Dair is VERY good against Falco's recovery. (must have good spacing though) So is dtilt because dtilt would lead to another grab or a Fsmash. ( higher %'s) Snake's crouch tilt is only good Falco's Upb when he is coming straight up. Also, Up B beats Spacies Sideb.
- 9:20 bad reaction time. Practice that until it becomes muscle memory. ( I understand if you can't. I don't own a wii so I can only practice at Wizzrobe's house haha xD)

Shiek:

Game 1:
- 2:12 EASY STICKY AFTER SHIEK GETS ON STAGE
- 3:24 HHNNNNGGGGGGG STICKY AFTER UTILT
- 3:47 Should have walked him over to you Dsmash and Down threw. Would have killed him.

Game 2:
- 6:13 Y U NO STICKY?! :'(
- Also, stop doing Uthrow into Upb. There are so many better options. Primarily just Uair.
- 6:45 you had an easy edgeguard there. And you chose a very poor option. I recommend trying to focus on edgeguarding. You seem to make pretty poor decisions most of the time. You could get so many more kills if you just learned proper edgeguarding. :)
- I also feel the same way with getting stickies. If you just knew the setups for your stickies, you would be winning so many more games.
- 7:24 ... Do I need to say it? haha :p
- 9:54 THERE YOU GO THERE YOU GO
- 10:15 See what I mean ? ;D

SAX

Smash Ace
Sonic

- 0:27 Missed a sticky opportunity. They are extremely vital in this MU so you cannot afford to miss them.
- 0:55 ^
- There really isn't a safe way to land against sonic unfortunately. His Utilt beats any option we have. I do recommend airdogding threw him though. You need to throw out an attack first after his UpB, however.

_ Never go to Dreamland. I hate that stage. Makes C4 kills that much harder.

- 5:45 was easy sticky.

It seems like you just need a lot of help in this MU. SO I'm just gonna drop some MU knowledge and if you have any other questions I'll do my beest to answer.

Additional MU Notes.
- Never allow sonic to go to smashville. It's his best stage.
- Uthrow > Sticky in guaranteed at 0%.
- Uthrow > FF Dair > Uthrow > Sticky is strong
- CG % is 0% > ~25% which then leads to a sticky.
- GRENADES. USE THEM. VERY GOOD AGAINST SONIC. When you see him coming with Down B pull a grenade and then shield so it drops and it'll hit sonic.
- Pivot grab beats Sonic's Downb and SideB.
- You can also shield grab his DownB pressure. I did see SuperTH do it though. He must not know about it or can't do it.
Dsmash is OKAY. It's not as good as you think it is. Sonic can just down b, shield the mine on contact, and then down b again. Rolling over them works too. I prefer putting Dsmashes on platforms in this Matchup. Since it interferes with sonic bread and butter combo (Downb Nair.) Wizzy never gets phazed by them. Grenades however... MUCH BETTER.

Also just in general, I don't see you ever use Dthrow. VERY STRONG THROW IF PEOPLE AREN'T IN CG %, STICKY %, OR NEXT TO A DSMASH. It does 14% fresh and is a free sticky if they wait, and swings the momentum COMPLETELY back in your favor. Whenever my opponent has momentum, 90% when I get a grab I'll try to Dthrow.

JTsm

Smash Master
Thanks and I'll work on what you said. I know I made a lot of mistakes. Grabs, UpB's and Stickies are his bread and butter and I don't seem to get it, yet.

*Goes to the lab*

SAX

Smash Ace
Thanks and I'll work on what you said. I know I made a lot of mistakes. Grabs, UpB's and Stickies are his bread and butter and I don't seem to get it, yet.

*Goes to the lab*
Yeah it definitely is. Just get a friend and put the time on infinite and practice the setups on different weight classes. I say with a friend because then you can practice with varying DI, since noticing the DI will help your reaction time. Same thing with CG %'s. Then you can write all of them down and try to memorize them until they're muscle memory.

Upb OoS is very strong. UpB Oos > Nair is best if they end up shield the UpB. It also creates distance in MU's where camping with grenades, nikita and mines are important.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I'm super late on this response lol, but I'm gonna respond to Jtsm matches.

vs Falco

You never went for stickies this MU which confuses me since this is like the STRONGEST part of Snake's gameplay and one of the MU where it's relatively free in terms of setups into it with CG's...

Ducking is pretty good in this MU and you should try to powershield lasers from it, and seriously, you REALLY need to start using Snake's DACUS, it's literally his best approach options, it's his only move which allows him to commit forward that fast, and it's REALLY good to do from ducking, if you used it in this match it would have helped loads.

I think I saw you use it like once, I don't think you realize how useful Snake's DACUS is, because if you did you would definitely be using it more often.

Also, your edgeguarding is a major issue, 1:51, 7:29 your first instinct is to plant a mine, and jump back and shoot a Nikita, but let's actually think about this practically and what you actually get from it...you give falco a free edge because the Nikita won't get to him in time, and the most he can do it get hit by the mine at like 70%, survive, and then back to neutral.
Commit to something, shoot a missile at him straight away, jump out and Fair him or Bair him, F-Smash if you think they will Forward B, but don't plant a mine, jump back and shoot a Nikita on such a fast recovery (or MOST recoveries), it feels a lot more effective then it actually mostly is.

You never instinctively try to edgeguard people, like @ 2:18 and 5:24 with Falco high percent you could walk Falco to the edge and throw him off and try to edgeguard him, but your first reaction is to U-Throw Falco, and what do you really get from it, he goes in there, hits the floor, the neutral game begins again. It lost you the first game along with not just jumping on the edge when he off the stage

And remember this MU is super free for C4 sticks and CG's, 4:08 you should have just went for a stick instead of a U-Tilt or even throwing Falco off the stage

vs Sheik

Even at 5:25, when Sheik was really far off the edge, look at what your first instinct was to do instead of just simply grabbing on the edge lol.

Look through this match and you'll be able to see the times you throw Sheik off the edge and then basically just let her grab the edge for free, all you need to do is grab the edge and then force her to come on stage and punish her with a stick or grab

Please don't CG, into Up B (1:19, 3:31, 6:28, 7:50) it REALLY doesn't work, all you get is an Up B and the opponent can DI left of right to escape a follow up, you could of got a C4 stick, Uair, or Fair which is much more effective.

2:11 is why I brought up saying your edgeguarding is a problem, literally all you needed to do was jump on the edge, and jump up and either Fair, or Bair sheik back off the edge or even UAir, but it never seems like you instinctively have that in mind and you need to get your gameplay to that point. You literally went from 38% to 121% for not capitalizing on that.

vs Sonic

I agree with most of what Sax said, overall I just think it's your fundamentals that need improving :)

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
updated the first page and put the names in alphabetical order like I said I was going to. For some reason I stopped getting updates saying there were posts in this thread.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
So I used Snake game 1 of LFs of one of the Xanadu weekly tourneys against Redd's Marth. It was really close, and I was ahead until the last stock. Then I just threw it all away. :facepalm: In a sense, I did worse than my match against Kels, but I actually feel like I played a lot cleaner and had a much better grasp of what I wanted to be doing. That being said, I still do some seriously stupid stuff. Please critique away!
http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/b/434944086?t=1h59m15s

JTsm

Smash Master
Thanks for the lovely critiques guys. Hopefully I can post more vids from 2.6 next weekend.

I'll edit this post once I'm done watching your match bubba.

Edit: So one thing you should never do (especially when it's against Marth) is to challenge marth when landing. I saw you use nair to land a couple times and that will never work. It has no priority and marth has range to juggle you more.

I also feel you're not giving yourself enough space to correctly punish Marth as easily as you should. Marth is a deff ***** in this MU, but when you lay down mines on the platforms, that really helped control the space on PS2. Also, when you got juggled on the last stock, you rolled towards him. You should always try to escape and build more space to set up or prepare for his approaches.

WIDL

We Are Born
I won a tournament with Snake today. Met Fox/Puff (not recorded), Bowser/Falco, Wario and Bowser in WF and GF. Hopefully I can upload some of the sets when I'm home again.

SAX

Smash Ace
Lots of games from July 28th Stream. Check em out. Open to any commentary.

http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios/b/437464641 : 16:50 - 19:34 (Snake vs Pit) / 19:35 - 26:42 (Snake vs Charizard) / 27:21 - 43:00 (Snake vs Sonic) / 52:05 - end of video (Snake vs DDD)

http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios/b/437464641 : 11:05 - 22:25 (Snake vs Fox) / 23:15 - 38:25 (Snake vs Captain Falcon) / 43:10 - 46:11 & 53:10 - 56:30 (Snake vs Puff) / 1:00:30 - 1:03:38 (Snake vs Fox) ENDING IS SO SEXY<3 / 1:21:55 (Snake vs Lucario) / 1:26:22 (Snake vs Pit) / 1:28:50 - 1:33:10 (Snake vs Luigi) / Last match is an unfinished match (Snake vs Tink)

http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios/b/437363374 : Start of vid - 12:00 (Snake vs MK) I REALLY NEED HELP PLUP IS TOO GOOD. I think it's more me getting outplayed than anything, but if you can find a way to help I'd be grateful.

SAX

Smash Ace
So I used Snake game 1 of LFs of one of the Xanadu weekly tourneys against Redd's Marth. It was really close, and I was ahead until the last stock. Then I just threw it all away. :facepalm: In a sense, I did worse than my match against Kels, but I actually feel like I played a lot cleaner and had a much better grasp of what I wanted to be doing. That being said, I still do some seriously stupid stuff. Please critique away!
http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/b/434944086?t=1h59m15s

Use more Grenades. Grenade down toss is amazing in this MU.
You keep on going for the Dsmash > SideB edgeguard. While this is very effective, I saw many missed opportunities where you could have just grabbed the ledge and rolled up and killed marth, instead of putting damage on him and allowing him to get on the stage again. I see all snake players do this (excluding Pro, who is very good at distinguishing when to grab the ledge, and when you C4/Dsmash the ledge). You need to realize that grabbing the edge can actaully be much more effective. I am also guilty of this too.
You could have sealed Game 1 if you just nailed your CG > stickies. You flubbed like 2-3 of them.

JTsm

Smash Master
Ahh I guess your vids will tie me over until Prof pro uploads his set against Armada :p
Pulps MK reminds me of how broken he was in brawl lol.

Armada

Smash Lord
We were not really playing a set.
More like recorded friendlis :p

In those he won 4-2 (I think) and then I won like 3-0 before that (1vs Squirtle though so **** that).
Would be fu to have a real set with Prof since I think that would have been hype as **** =D

JTsm

Smash Master
Oh alright xD still hype for it nonetheless lul

SAX

Smash Ace
Ahh I guess your vids will tie me over until Prof pro uploads his set against Armada :p
Pulps MK reminds me of how broken he was in brawl lol.

yeah dude plup is unreal. Me and wizzy both think plup is top3 in pm now haha. Like whenever I get down throwed or whenever I'm trying to recover, I'm just like "WHAT CAN YOU DO?!" You might hear me spouting that on the streams. But plup answered "honestly, it looks like you can't do anything" and it certainly feels that way. MK just has the options to keep snake off the stage no matter what tricks he uses to get back on. And plup has godly reaction time for MK's "Sheik-like" tech chase down throw.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
We were not really playing a set.
More like recorded friendlis :p

In those he won 4-2 (I think) and then I won like 3-0 before that (1vs Squirtle though so **** that).
Would be fu to have a real set with Prof since I think that would have been hype as **** =D
I actually got it off my friend and the quality is terrible at some points, the video skips at some points and the sound desynced, so I'm not 100% sure I will even upload it yet :/
But yeah, we need to play in an ACTUAL tournament definitely as it would definitely be hype lol, I wanted to play you more but I knew Evo practice > PM friendlies lol.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
http://www.twitch.tv/jolte0n/b/439407078

I got in quite a lot of games in P:M yesterday with Snake, not warmed up at the beginning since it was my first PM game of the day but still did pretty good.

SKIP TO 1:56:35 FOR PROJECT M!!!

I definitely feel like people need to start using his Dair more for tech chasing at low percent where they can CC it and it doesn't pop them up, and then later percents where it forces them to get up you get a free C4 stick or a free U-air if they are already stuck, it's actually REALLY good and you will see me do it a few times against R.O.B. and later on in the video against Charizard I think.
Check 2:01:22 for a good example of what I mean though.

SAX

Smash Ace
LOL I will try to give some advice when I get back later today.

Plup gave me a run down on the vids last night. He basically said I just have to have better follow-ups. Like, once I get a hit and initiate a combo, after the combo finishes (if it doesn't lead to death) I tend to leave my opponent in a favorable position to set the stage control back to neutral, instead of me using the momentum I have to continually apply pressure and force them into unfavorable positions. I guess that's something that comes with just being a better player, but if you notice anything of what plup was talking about, it'd be cool to point it out :)

WIDL

We Are Born
I was rewatching some of my sets from a very recent tourney (I will hopefully have the matches up during next week, maybe). Oh, how I love to sticky people who randomly shield on platforms or when I have invincibility frames.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I was rewatching some of my sets from a very recent tourney (I will hopefully have the matches up during next week, maybe). Oh, how I love to sticky people who randomly shield on platforms or when I have invincibility frames.
Yeah, sticking people who instinctively shield on platforms is the best.
Also what are these sets you speak of and why haven't you posted them :( lol

Top Bottom