• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snakes Counter

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
I am 100% comfortable fighting every character in this game except for a GOOD SNAKE, which I have seen plenty of. Does anyone know/have an idea of a character that counters Snake? I was thinking R.O.B...but hes generally weak. His combo ability is great and he has a great projectile game...but his smashes are generally bad in terms of knockback and power.
I main meta knight...and do fairly well against snake...but he is TOOO hard to KO.

If i am meta should i try to approach in the air being above him? Below him? or horizontally?

I'm having trouble getting him to budge on my fairs because of the super armor. I need to find someone to use against Snake.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
ROB is far from weak. He(it?) demolishes Snake in the air with his disjointed dair/nair/bair and can juggle him with uair and fair, is reasonably heavy, and aerial edgeguard is superb--and Snake's defense in cypher isn't that great--laser and gyro can contend/overpower Snake's grenades/nikita..I could say more since I play vs ROB so often, and it always feels like a an uphill battle.

Then there's Olimar....just a ***** to deal with.

Also MK, Marth, and Falco have a pretty good chance against Snake....really depends on how careful the Snake player is dealing with aggressive opponents...maybe you should just keep working on your other chars...

.D0c.

Smash Cadet
I have problems with a good Dedede, due to the chain grab. You can't always break out of it with a grenade. Also Dedede, can walk Snake off the stage with a series of back airs, finishing with a forward air. It's hard matchup without the correct spacing since Dedede, can put damage on you quick with the chain grab.

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
I find MK does not do well against Snake. He is way too light and with all of Snake's KO moves I wind up killing an MK at around 90%. MK is my secondary and while I have never faced a good Snake with MK they sometimes give me problems when I fight them.

.D0c.

Smash Cadet
MK gets owned by Snake. Especially if you just pull out a grenade during all his attacks. Most of the time MK's sword cuts the grenade cauing it to explode. Also if you run into a MK that spams up B on the edge, place a nikita between him and the edge to spike him. Up tilt on MK kills him quick too.

Sonork

Smash Cadet
I've done best vs snake as Pikachu. Thunder will punish him in the air and lighting will blow up his grenades/mines and keep him from firing his missles. Also pikachu's Fsmash and Dsmash can out range some of snakes ground moves like his broken forward tilt. Thats what I've found anyways.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Be aware that the first strike of his ftilt can clank with the disjointed hitbox of the fsamsh and outprioritize you up close. If he doesn't know that, feel free to punish him.

I have problems with a good Dedede, due to the chain grab. You can't always break out of it with a grenade. Also Dedede, can walk Snake off the stage with a series of back airs, finishing with a forward air. It's hard matchup without the correct spacing since Dedede, can put damage on you quick with the chain grab.

All Snake has to do to escape the chain grab is jab. The end.

.D0c.

Smash Cadet
All Snake has to do to escape the chain grab is jab. The end.
I heard this works, but then again I'm not sure. I haven't been able to do this successfully against a Dedede that CG flawlessly. But then again I can be wrong and I will try this as soon as possible. I pray to god this works. 3 Tournaments I've been to I ended up getting in top 8 and lost due to a chain grabbing Dedede.

If a third part can test for confirmation that would be great. Appreciate the tip Eternal Yoshi.

OpTiMuS.RhYmE

Smash Rookie
I heard this works, but then again I'm not sure. I haven't been able to do this successfully against a Dedede that CG flawlessly. But then again I can be wrong and I will try this as soon as possible. I pray to god this works. 3 Tournaments I've been to I ended up getting in top 8 and lost due to a chain grabbing Dedede.

If a third part can test for confirmation that would be great. Appreciate the tip Eternal Yoshi.
I've been doing this, it works. Works with a few other chars too that have fast jabs. But some times the DDD player will start to do different things to make you stop jabbing ...like delaying the regrab or not down throwing. or the pokey forward tilt. *poke*poke*

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=161628

Jab works believe me. They can't do flawless chain grabbing if they can't initiate it. However, now that I think about it, at higher percents on you, I don't think jab will do the trick if the dthrow puts your too far out of range. If this happens just spot dodge ;)

On topic: Forgot about pika, pain in the neck as well.

Insomniac487

Smash Cadet
Too many to list. Anybody with a projectile basically

Toon Link (boomerangs, arrows, bombs)
Lucario (baby aura spheres)
Luigi (fireballs)
mario (fireballs)
Pikachu (bolts, dsmash & edgeguard thundering. what a nightmare!)
Pit (fast arrows)
etc

Projectiles stops snake from mortar sliding. It can go through very few projectiles though (still recieves damage, but is able to still mortar slide). An example of this is againest fox's laser. Also grenades explode on impact with opponent's projectiles so its kinda hard to get some across... Sometimes. Nikkita's going up projectiles, makes the nikkita curve down and explode. You can curve it up and still have it going, but by then... you'll be recieving a lot of damage (example : fox's lasers).

Besides the whole projectile game, there are many other key factors that also give Snake a really hard time. People good at edgeguarding for example (pikachu, marth, etc)

T*H*O*R

Smash Cadet
Too many to list. Anybody with a projectile basically

Toon Link (boomerangs, arrows, bombs)
Lucario (baby aura spheres)
Luigi (fireballs)
mario (fireballs)
Pikachu (bolts, dsmash & edgeguard thundering. what a nightmare!)
Pit (fast arrows)
etc

Projectiles stops snake from mortar sliding. It can go through very few projectiles though (still recieves damage, but is able to still mortar slide). An example of this is againest fox's laser. Also grenades explode on impact with opponent's projectiles so its kinda hard to get some across... Sometimes. Nikkita's going up projectiles, makes the nikkita curve down and explode. You can curve it up and still have it going, but by then... you'll be recieving a lot of damage (example : fox's lasers).

Besides the whole projectile game, there are many other key factors that also give Snake a really hard time. People good at edgeguarding for example (pikachu, marth, etc)
Actually simply by going prone and crawling you can negate many of the effects of these projectiles. For the ones this doesn't work for, dash-shielding and spot dodging work wonders for getting up close and personal to a projectile spammer. Check out my pressuring guide for tips on how to handle projectile spammers and campers: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=163063

Top Bottom