• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake's dominance in top tier feels like a distant memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Remeber yester year, where Snake had the best tourney results? I recall Metaknight being second to him. It feels strange now to even think that at one point, Snake had over 600 points, while MK had only 400 ish.

It just feels strange. Does anyone think things will shift again? MK playing second fiddle to someone else? Probably not, but you can never tell with Brawl.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Snake is way too overpowering though. If anything, it would be Snake that gets banned from certain tournaments.

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
Well if MK were to be overthrowed, Snake would be the most likely person to do it. Either him or Diddy.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Well if MK were to be overthrowed, Snake would be the most likely person to do it. Either him or Diddy.
Huuuuuh?

Just because Diddy MIGHT be a MK counter on SOME stages doesn't mean he'll take the top spot in Tournament Results from MK.

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
Diddy has HUGE potential. I think that was more of his point.
That was more or less what I was getting at. The fact that he is a counter to MK is a plus...

Another charater I think has massive potential is Pokemon Trainer. Idk but if someone has 3 different movesets, its gotta allow for mixups. Just a thought.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Diddy still has many bad matchups, peach pretty much makes his naners useless.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Pokemon Trainer won't rise significantly.

The fact that some of the Pokemon are worse than the others seriously affects his place on the tier list.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
If MK was somehow brought down, I think DDD would probably be top. =/

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I could see a rise in Diddys, and as a result, a rise in Falcos.. I also think that King Dedede is really a bigger beast then people give credit for. I think the resulting tier list could one day be:

MK
Dedede
Falco
Diddy
Snake

etc...

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
diddy has ways of getting to peach, i dont see him moving to the top spot soon but i do think he will be in top tier

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
If MK gets banned, then Marth would be broken due to her having no bad matchups aside from MK.

Mmac

Smash Lord
I think if more people would give Yoshi a chance, MetaKnight would have a harder time having such a diverse lead due to an increase in numbers of his hardest or tied to Snake for his hardest matchup.

Even if MetaKnight was banned, Marth won't be broken because he is so much harder to use compared to MetaKnight.

Agent P

Smash Rookie
I disagree, I find marth slightly less complicated than MK
but its quite pointless discussing this because MK will never be banned

I can see diddy rising to top tier, bu not in the near future
I think snake will move down a few spots, having D3 replace him
Thus booting down Falco, who I think will switch with Marth

But thats my opinion. I'm not a bacroom smasher so i cant make a difference

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
If MK gets banned, then Marth would be broken due to her having no bad matchups aside from MK.
Marth is a boy. Shows how much some people know about this game eh?

Besides that though. I see MK's getting destroyed at tournaments all over the place. Diddy's take down MK's like there's no tomorrow from what I've seen online, and I've seen marth/falco deal with him well too. I don't think he should be banned because it just takes practice to beat him.

Monkey Wrench

Smash Apprentice
Dedede and Snake go 55:45 vs Marth, IDK if these count as bad matchups, but it's better than nothing. ROB and DK go 50:50.

Marth won't be broken because he is so much harder to use compared to MetaKnight.
Also, this.

And Diddy will definately move up.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Marth is a boy. Shows how much some people know about this game eh?
You need to lurk a little more. People call Marth a "she" all the time as a joke. We aren't dumba**'es.

Anyway, I don't see Marth rising very high. SHE doesn't have the potential that the other high tiers do. I could see Wario rising in the future.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
The only reason I say DDD is because most MKs second DDD.
So yeah.

._.

Marty

Smash Apprentice
Metaknight is top and that will never change.

Bet it.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
If MK was somehow brought down, I think DDD would probably be top. =/
That depends on the tournament though, some ban his infinite CG which is important to his gameplay.

I say Snake will be top if MK is somehow knocked off his pedestal.

But in reality, practice against MK is probably what almost everyone that plays Brawl should be doing that. I highly doubt anything is discovered to overthrow MK significantly, and I feel that since it is rather obvious that at the moment he will not be banned, and I also doubt any humongous technique to take him down in the tier placement, so practice against him is really the only thing that can bring him down, because if everyone practices against MK, it's harder than MK players having to practice against every single character as much as we, the non-MK players, can against MK himself. If everyone gets to know the matchup very well then there is a chance he'll come down a bit. Just IMO though.

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
The only thing stopping snake from being the best is MK (given) and the fact that he is easy to combo. MK has nothing against him yet.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
I still have no idea how Snake is above Dedede. Dedede is able to completely shut down over half the cast into ridiculously advantagous match ups. Granted he does have more bad match ups then the rest of the godly cast, but he just completely slaughters a good amount of match ups.

It's inevitable that MK will eventually be banned. Anything that would've been discovered would've been found by now. Those who are trying to prevent his banning are just those old Melee people who are saying we're whining too much because Fox wasn't banned in Melee. Guess what? HE SHOULD'VE BEEN BANNED TOO. Better to play with 20 characters then 5, dontcha think?

I can see Wario and Diddy rising up significantly whether or not MK is banned, and Marth, Dedede, and Snake will be the unholy trinity dominating the tourney scene once he IS gone.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Fox didn't shut down portions of the cast. Sheik did. Fox isn't even the one dominating tournies (statistics say Marth, but that was mostly Ken, M2K, and Azen).

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Notice how I say top 5 constantly. I only specifically said Fox for it to be more of a direct comparison to Meta Knight.

Fox, Sheik, and Marth could've done with getting banned. Perhaps Falco as well. Peach and Captain Falcon are borderline.
Ban Top tier and High tier WILL dominate. Ban High, then Mid WILL dominate. If you ban Mid, we're left with Low/Bottom tier. Over half the cast is banned and we are left a bunch of overly limited characters. Melee then dies.

No one in Melee is broken enough to warrant a ban without a drastic slippery slope effect happening.

-______-

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Notice how I say top 5 constantly. I only specifically said Fox for it to be more of a direct comparison to Meta Knight.

Fox, Sheik, and Marth could've done with getting banned. Perhaps Falco as well. Peach and Captain Falcon are borderline.
Did I really just read that right? You even had it in your MIND with the words Peach, Captain Falcon, and Falco with the word BAN in the same sentence!?
Dude, whatever you have been smoking, that must be some good sh*t...

Braggins

Smash Apprentice
I can't see Meta Knight ever losing the top spot. Also, I don't think DDD has anywhere to go on the tier list but down. I doubt he would ever move down more than a few spots, but thats where I see him going. If you look at his match ups against the top and high tier they are pretty bad. He has a significant disadvantage against: Metaknight, G&W, Falco, Diddy Kong, Pikachu, Ice Climbers, and Kirby. That is 3 of the top 6 and 7 of the top 14. Diddy Kong will probably move up to the high tier, but it will most likely be towards the bottom of the high tier. I don't think he will ever get the 1st or 2nd spot.

otg

Smash Master
It's inevitable that MK will eventually be banned. Anything that would've been discovered would've been found by now. Those who are trying to prevent his banning are just those old Melee people who are saying we're whining too much because Fox wasn't banned in Melee. Guess what? HE SHOULD'VE BEEN BANNED TOO. Better to play with 20 characters then 5, dontcha think?

I can see Wario and Diddy rising up significantly whether or not MK is banned, and Marth, Dedede, and Snake will be the unholy trinity dominating the tourney scene once he IS gone.
This is ********, LET'S BAN ALL THE CHARACTERS THAT ARE TOO GOOD. Fox has counters: DK on FD, Falco on every neutral stage besides FD, Marth goes even/better than him on most stages, etc etc etc etc. Marth has a disadvantage against Sheik, something that metaknight lacks.

And don't try to act like only 5 characters were usable in Melee. High tiers/Mid tiers were able to compete quite well: look at the Cap Fals, the Icies, Ganon's, DK's, Mario/Doc Mains, Luigi's etc etc. who were all ever present in the metagame placing very highly. In Melee, the game mechanics allowed enough freedom that in the end it's the player behind the character and not the character who makes the player.

Granted, the top players of every fighting game ever use the best characters (MvC2, Soul Caliburs, SF's, etc etc), and this is something very clearly seen in Brawl by the fact that out of 39 characters, over 1/4 of all the competitive players use one freaking character. Chances are, you and your friends aren't top level players so use whoever you like and stop letting tiers dictate your life.

You guys think Metaknight is unfair? That he should be banned? Well learn how to freaking beat him, because everyone is human, we all make mistakes and we all have patterns that can be learned and beaten. If you still can't and demand a ban, than maybe we should analyze whether or not we as a community should even play the broken campfest we know as Brawl.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Ah, I remember when Snake dominated. Good times...

Still, the problem with him dominating back then is that people found counters against him to beat him. Which is one reason people want Mk banned so bad. He doesn't seem to have that effect, or any good counters for that matter.

That's not my opinion of course, but that's what a lot of people use against me when I'm arguing against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom