• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake's new 3.0 side-b

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Snake apparently has a new side-b, the tranquilizer gun from mgs2 I think????

ANYWAYS it puts people to sleep, unknown for how long because the stream crashed lol

EDIT: I wonder what happens when an opponent is shot with it while off-stage...

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
my mind is imagining that professor pro saw how I kept trying to play snake w/ camping and sideb spamming and made a gross face from it

JTsm

Smash Master
Juu was right. I am going to like Snake's new mechanic.....

Xethos

Smash Cadet
This tranqulizer is either going to be amazing, or a total train-wreck. Can't tell right now cuz of the frikin crash :mad:.

It should help reduce all that annoying camping (yes, I've done it before, but I agree it's ********). I'm just worried about snake's edgeguard now.
He does have other stuff, but the old side b was amazing. I have mixed feelings for this new snake stuff(the taunt is awesome though, so much "In your face"). Definitely forcing more c4's or fairs on my playstyle, but I was planning on doing that anyways.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
I hate this. Moves that put characters to sleep are too weird, it should have stayed unique to Jigglypuff, and Snake can get an instant kill off it.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
We've put a lot of testing into making sure that the move is a decent utility move, but is not overly centralizing. Don't freak out entirely because of hearsay and assumptions, please.

It's a far more interactive/fun move for both Snake and the opponent, in my opinion.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
The real question is this: can it be reflected by all normal reflection methods? Or only by some? Or even not at all?

SOJ

Smash Journeyman
The real question is this: can it be reflected by all normal reflection methods? Or only by some? Or even not at all?
Yes it can be reflected. It's technically the same article (projectile) as Nikita's missile.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
my mind is imagining that professor pro saw how I kept trying to play snake w/ camping and sideb spamming and made a gross face from it
LOL I can't remember ever seeing you play Snake once if I'm honest :confused:

As for the new Side B, I and the team have put a lot of work into to testing and balancing this move to make it mesh well with his gameplay without it being over-centralising (as I would HATE that for Snake).

There's attributes to this move which might not be entirely clear until playing with it so keep that in mind.

Xethos

Smash Cadet
I just saw the part of the stream where JCaesar is actually able to set Kirby to sleep, and it's pretty nice I have to say. A nice way to lead up to many things such as chain grab or sticky

However, I feel like it might be a tad bit too short of a time. Like even a quarter of a second more would be nice, but I understand that would make it annoying for the opponent.
And the reload :c I again understand why it's there, but it looks so annoying to me. It made JCaesar die twice I believe. Also, shooting them opponent in the air is useless. So I take back my previous statement. This thing is an in between. It's about as good as the missile.

To finish off my opinion, it's not over-centralizing. It's really unique and I think this move would be a fine addition to snake (although my friends define snake through his missile and c4, they have some changing to do). I still feel like it needs some slight adjustments, but that's a given. After all, there are still 3 more weeks till 3.0.

Nice job PMBR!

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
I love this change. Nikita had to go, and this is a really interesting and unique replacement. I really like how tactical and situational this seems to be.

From what I can tell from the video, you get 2 shots before you reload. You are totally vulnerable during reload and it takes a bit of time. It doesn't take effect if your opponent is in the air. Snake crouches when he shoots, and I'm not sure if he can shoot/reload in the air (JC never did that, but that doesn't mean Snake can't). Your opponent isn't asleep for long, but if you can get over there fast enough, you get a free stick (which makes all the downfalls worth it imo). The move seems to be around the same length as a Falco standing single laser.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I just saw the part of the stream where JCaesar is actually able to set Kirby to sleep, and it's pretty nice I have to say. A nice way to lead up to many things such as chain grab or sticky

However, I feel like it might be a tad bit too short of a time. Like even a quarter of a second more would be nice, but I understand that would make it annoying for the opponent.
And the reload :c I again understand why it's there, but it looks so annoying to me. It made JCaesar die twice I believe. Also, shooting them opponent in the air is useless. So I take back my previous statement. This thing is an in between. It's about as good as the missile.

To finish off my opinion, it's not over-centralizing. It's really unique and I think this move would be a fine addition to snake (although my friends define snake through his missile and c4, they have some changing to do). I still feel like it needs some slight adjustments, but that's a given. After all, there are still 3 more weeks till 3.0.

Nice job PMBR!
I don't think JCaesar has played with it that much to be fair, but I've played with it quite a lot and once you come to understand it and it's limitations, you will never die from reloading.

Floaties can now be stuck slightly easier with tranq and D-Throw has more use now so adjust yourself for hype and learning new things and setups :)

I love this change. Nikita had to go, and this is a really interesting and unique replacement. I really like how tactical and situational this seems to be.

From what I can tell from the video, you get 2 shots before you reload. You are totally vulnerable during reload and it takes a bit of time. It doesn't take effect if your opponent is in the air. Snake crouches when he shoots, and I'm not sure if he can shoot/reload in the air (JC never did that, but that doesn't mean Snake can't). Your opponent isn't asleep for long, but if you can get over there fast enough, you get a free stick (which makes all the downfalls worth it imo).
It's 3 shots and yes you can reload in the air. And also reload before your clip is empty.
Me and Jolteon will likely be streaming next week so I will hopefully give everyone a good insight on how it works so well without being too much.

Matty89

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hydra89
Not that I don't like the idea of the tranq, but it just seems like the change is too late. Like I loved the missile. And it's been there since the beginning, now with such a big release something as big as the missle, wether you liked or not is going to be taken out of snake'a arsenal. My friends always hated the thing, but they loved snake having the missle. Saying the mind games with it were so annoying, but such a challenge to get get around that it was fun. All in all I really don't want the change, wether you say I'm a camper or not it was just part of my

Matty89

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hydra89
play style. Nothing like a missle to the face.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Hmm, interesting change. I wonder how this will affect MUs and him as a character overall. Will this make him better? Or will it make him... "worse"

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
The gun is technically cool and all but it would be better suited to an Advance Wars character or some other clone. The Nikita is a huge part of Snakes identity and edgeguard game (especially since Snake is so vulnerable offstage). It wasn't THAT campy, not like it seriously prolonged matches or skewed matchups. Snake was one of the few characters who still felt familiar to Brawl players and I'd hate for that to go away just so the PMBR can show off.

JTsm

Smash Master
The tranq gun is also a huge part of Snake's identity.

jtm94

Smash Lord
The tranq gun is super huge and I think it is more canon than the missile, not saying the missile wasn't used, but he uses the tranq gun a lotttttt in his games. This makes me super happy and I thoroughly enjoy playing Snake, but it is such a pain when other people use him and seem to get skilless KOs off of missile spam that is faster than some of my character's air speed so I have no choice but to time a good air dodge or eat it. This promotes slightly less campy play though he still has grenades, players will actually have to learn to play Snake as something other than plant mine > plant c4 > launch missile and hope they cross over either the first 2 get hit by the missile directly, or get hit by the missile after it is cancelled. I'm not saying it's a viable strategy, but it is such a pain when using characters that can't reflect projectiles.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
Hey at least we won't have to worry about snake camping the nikita the entire time during a team match >.>

I'm pretty interested to see how this changes his moveset though, I thought it would work as a good neutral B, replacing the grenades, but I'm just glad to see the tranq in as a move now.

Matty89

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hydra89
The tranq gun is a huge part of Snake's identity, but so are chaff nades. Id rather see those in place of the tranq. It's just gonna be a tough topic no matter what we like and don't like. Snake has so many tools from the game that any of then could be argued in. I just don't want my play style to be punished just bc some snake players camp with a missile. May not require skill but I honestly don't see it any harder to use than a shine for that matter.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace

Nice job PMBR!
Can you link me to the video or stream itself or the channel the stream was on?

Matty89

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hydra89
Btw does anyone know if being attacked breaks the sleep? I wouldn't mind tranq>down throw off the ledge. That would be funny, still though that missile. Sleep vs explosion. I hope this tranq isn't going to be justified as being more options for c4 sticks. There are so many options for that already.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
We've been testing this concept out for a while now. I can say with safety that it's fun to use and makes tech chasing with Snake very rewarding, especially with how his throws work.

Regarding balance concerns: The tranq allows Snake to get a C4 in match-ups where Snake previously struggled to. In essence, it rounds off his punish game nicely against the whole cast I think. Of course, you can get other punishes off of it as well as it's a really dynamic move, so I expect to see a lot of creativity with the Tranq.

Matty89

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hydra89
We've been testing this concept out for a while now. I can say with safety that it's fun to use and makes tech chasing with Snake very rewarding, especially with how his throws work.

Regarding balance concerns: The tranq allows Snake to get a C4 in match-ups where Snake previously struggled to. In essence, it rounds off his punish game nicely against the whole cast I think. Of course, you can get other punishes off of it as well as it's a really dynamic move, so I expect to see a lot of creativity with the Tranq.
How about vs bowsers super armor. Does it penetrate or does it just get ate?

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Two questions:

How do you reload before your clip has run out?
Does the attack do ANYTHING to opponents in the air?

Nikita just felt really dirty. It's a shame that it had to go simply because it's fairly iconic for Metal Gear, but the tranq. gun is even more iconic in my mind. It also varies up Snake's moveset more by getting rid of an explosive. The move looks really great, and I'm really excited to try it out. Everything I've seen for Snake in 3.0 has me crazy hyped.

Matty89

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hydra89
Sucks I won't even get to play with the Nikita in turbo mode. :( only hope now is a big boss costume.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Sucks I won't even get to play with the Nikita in turbo mode. :( only hope now is a big boss costume.
Because of the way Nikita works it didn't cancel on hit anyway, so it was exactly the same in Turbo mode so no need to feel let down lol.
Two questions:

How do you reload before your clip has run out?
Does the attack do ANYTHING to opponents in the air?

Nikita just felt really dirty. It's a shame that it had to go simply because it's fairly iconic for Metal Gear, but the tranq. gun is even more iconic in my mind. It also varies up Snake's moveset more by getting rid of an explosive. The move looks really great, and I'm really excited to try it out. Everything I've seen for Snake in 3.0 has me crazy hyped.
You have a 6 frame window to press shield at the beginning of Side B to reload, that's how you reload before your clip runs out, otherwise it just shoots a normal shot.
And tranq on mid-air opponents sends them SLIGHTLY down but not by much to make a big difference edgeguarding wise.

I'm happy to see you are hyped about it, it's a really interesting part of his gameplay now and I know a lot of Snake players will enjoy this a lot more than Nikita in the long run.
Remember we will be streaming tomorrow on www.twitch.tv/Jolte0n and I will be playing Snake so watch out for that :)

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Then it would become a tech chase tool for aerial opponents and become to centralizing.

It's really good though where it is atm, I'm looking forward to everyone trying it out :)

br8k

Coolkid
Btw does anyone know if being attacked breaks the sleep? I wouldn't mind tranq>down throw off the ledge. That would be funny, still though that missile. Sleep vs explosion. I hope this tranq isn't going to be justified as being more options for c4 sticks. There are so many options for that already.
Down throw off the ledge? How was down-throw changed?

EastCoastEddie

Smash Journeyman
Professor Pro! Thank you for everything you do for the Snake community (and project m community in general..) I can't wait to try the new Snaaaaaake!

Top Bottom