• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So after this many months... How is brawl looking now?

PredictablyStubborn

Smash Apprentice
Exciting? Fun?

I quit a while ago, but I feel like picking up on Brawl again. When I left, Brawl was just: Have a decent character; dodge; play very basically for most characters;

Now I'm seeing all these crazy techniques and parlor tricks being cooked up. The basics still apparently play a huge role, but the little techniques and "traps" i'm seeing are making the matches seem more interesting than before (and they're all so difficult to pull off)

Most of the serious players I know have left Brawl for other games (such as shooting or occasional Melee still o_o). It seems people just couldn't play even 30 minutes of brawl without getting pissed of at the game, or bored.

So I'm just asking if competitive matches are getting more exciting now o.0?
And most importantly what I want to know is: is the competitive scene going to GROW

Because after most of the serious players stopped playing, the local competitive smash scene at my area shrank from maybe 30 to around 7 or 8. =_=...

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
there are certainly a lot more "techs", and it's getting much more character-specific in strategies etc than before...

...i'm not sure if it's that different though. then again, i'm not in the competitive scene or anything...

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'd have to say it's somewhat more exciting now than it was at the beginning.

I truly laugh at all those people that were shouting "BRAWL IS MORE BALANCED THAN MELEE!!!"
Seems they kinda got disproved, huh? The top tier characters (+ maybe high tier, depending on how the first tier list is arranged) are quite a bit above the rest of the cast, at least moreso than Melee. In Melee, there were the big 4 (Marth, Fox, Falco, Sheik) and maybe a bit more if you wanted to include more people (i.e. Falcon, Peach, Samus, Puff, etc...). These people were the main winners of tournaments, but it wasn't as though they couldn't be beat, and they weren't that far above mid tier characters.

In Brawl, it's like Snake is a god. Metaknight stands a chance of beating Snake, and then there are a few other valid characters as well. After that, you don't stand a **** chance if the other player is decent.

GreatClayMonkey

Smash Lord
Rigging the enemy base with explosives, which is l
In Brawl, it's like Snake is a god. Metaknight stands a chance of beating Snake, and then there are a few other valid characters as well. After that, you don't stand a **** chance if the other player is decent.
*Internet Smack* Im so sick of hearing that. It's simply not true. You can beat them it depends on how good you are.

FEJunkie

Smash Apprentice
Well, Brawl has become a little more interesting lately as more characters have begun to have their metagames developed. People are also starting to really adjust to brawl so matches are starting to be more interesting to watch. People are slowly beginning to realize that there are other good characters besides Metaknight and Snake.

As for the competitive scene question, only time can tell. It is the summer after all, but there is still the chance that Brawl's competitive scene will not get much bigger. It all depends on how many people are willing to continue to play Brawl.

Sonic527

Smash Apprentice
In the beginning it was sort of slow and facing level 9 cpu's was boring but now that I have online, matches are ten times more fun :D

PredictablyStubborn

Smash Apprentice
@GreatClayMonkey and DKTPCH
I fealt that the gap between Snake and a lower tier character in Brawl is almost the same as the gap in Melee. It's just that the gap is there for different reasons. Snake is just a really really good character for Brawl. The Tops in Melee however could be played more effective and efficiently.

However, I agree with DKTPCH that the unbalance is a lot worse in Brawl that would probably require another topic to get into.

Anyway, I guess it's just as boring as ever, since I'm getting answers such as "characters are becoming better" or stuff about "the tiers and balance". I was hoping somebody would come over with "people have found this great new way to play brawl".

I guess the game is still a defensive, cautious, dodging frenzy.

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
Brawl cam be awesome fun, as long as neither of the two players are just camping / playing extremely defensively (as in not approaching >.>) Kinda sucks tournament wise, as any idiot with a controller and 2 hands can just camp their way to victory. =(

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
*Internet Smack* Im so sick of hearing that. It's simply not true. You can beat them it depends on how good you are.
Ok, so I exaggerated it a bit, but Snake does have a VERY SIGNIFICANT advantage over the rest of the cast. In comparison with Melee (which I'm deciding somewhat arbitrarily right now, that is, without some official scale or rating system), the difference that must be overcome between the average Melee character and Marth is less than the difference that must be overcome between the average Brawl character and Snake. Snake is just that dominant.

Of course, Snake clearly can be beaten. I'm sure PsychoMidget doesn't have a perfect record using Snake (correct me if I'm wrong, PsychoMidget). However, it's indisputable that (as of now, with the current metagame) Snake is pretty **** good compared to the other characters.

PredictablyStubborn

Smash Apprentice
"Brawl cam be awesome fun, as long as neither of the two players are just camping / playing extremely defensively (as in not approaching >.>) Kinda sucks tournament wise, as any idiot with a controller and 2 hands can just camp their way to victory. =("

I don't agree.

I still find it unexciting without camping characters. Just less annoying maybe. And idiots can't camp their way to victory, geniuses can. ;]

GreatClayMonkey

Smash Lord
Rigging the enemy base with explosives, which is l
Ok, so I exaggerated it a bit, but Snake does have a VERY SIGNIFICANT advantage over the rest of the cast. In comparison with Melee (which I'm deciding somewhat arbitrarily right now, that is, without some official scale or rating system), the difference that must be overcome between the average Melee character and Marth is less than the difference that must be overcome between the average Brawl character and Snake. Snake is just that dominant.

Of course, Snake clearly can be beaten. I'm sure PsychoMidget doesn't have a perfect record using Snake (correct me if I'm wrong, PsychoMidget). However, it's indisputable that (as of now, with the current metagame) Snake is pretty **** good compared to the other characters.
I agree the gap is signifigant however unbeatable is an over statement.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
id say brawl is perhaps getting better... but at too slow of a pace. people will slowly begin to stop wanting to find out more secrets about the cast's abilities in tourneys.

System Failure 333

Smash Apprentice
months after the release, brawl is looking better than ever, especially now that I started getting more involved in my smash community and am thinking of organizing a tournament of my own

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Yeah, I still play it.

However, most of my time goes into F-Zero GX now.

...Which is a monster by the way; don't ever play that game if you value your *** and soul.

Top Bottom