• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

so brawl has "reverted to 64". Why is this a bad thing?

diamond_time

Smash Rookie
Everyone on this board keeps *****ing and moaning about the floaty feel of the characters, and what i can see from the youtube videos (stupid PAL release date) is that the physics seem like the physics from ssb64.

many a time has there been a cry of "taken a step backwards", but i believe that this is a good way for super smash bros. to progress as a series. I play SSB64 at school alot. like, ALOT. the speed is slower than melee, which gives far more opportunities for combos, and more tactical gameplay due to longer thinking time, rather than just having finger memory for a 0% combo and spamming it.

brawl has been out for a few weeks, so for assbusting combos to have been figured out already is a stupid idea. most of the new techs probably haven't even been worked out yet. how long did it take for wavedashing to be big on the scene? (can someone actually tell me, i'd like to know).

i can tell that most (MOST) of the people complaining about the new game are only complaining because they can't go to gamefaqs and find a combo to learn. with brawl's release, people are actually having to think for themselves. i can tell that in most cases this is a new concept.

just.. don't be too quick to judge. things happen, ideas get found out, combos arrive, tier lists come for people to focus their game on. the general metagame evolves.

just my two cents.

oh, and p.s. tripping? wtf is that ****?!

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
I preferred Melees speed and heaviness. Going back to the floatiness is a bit of a pain to be entirely honest.

I'm still enjoying the hell out of Brawl though :D

benf

Smash Rookie
Brawl is slower, more party paced "evolution" of what was in my opinion the most tight to control, furious fast paced 3d fighter around. Maybe Soul Calibur 1 tops melee.

Brawl just goes too many steps back in the wrong direction. Taking out the speed and gravity of melee was a huge gaffe IMO of nintendo.

Yeah you can argue its Sakurais vision, let him do what he wants.

Best counter argument is that the game that created Brawls hype (anything like this for melee? lol no) does not fanservice hardcore melee players enough.

Fanservice does not equal awesome stages/graphics/cool new character. Those are called standard sequel services.

Brawl was supposed to fufill every crazy dream I had about melee having more characters. Instead it took the engine, **** all over it, and sloppily threw in a few (not enough) nintendo faces.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
ssb64 was an intensely fast game because you could fast fall very quickly and L-cancel all your aerials which made it faster then melee in the vertical direction just not running in the horizontal. Watch isai(ness) vs Kurtis(kirby) on youtube or isai(fox) vs anyone and you'll see how different the games are. ssb64 was an actual fighting game rather than a floaty mario party game like brawl which substitutes fancy graphics and amazing music for gameplay.

ssb64 would be like brawl if you could l-cancel in brawl but you can't, so its not.

I still have hope that some form of L-cancelling will be discovered but until then it will remain pretty weak and shallow in terms of what melee is.

rockmace

Smash Apprentice
I think what everyone doesn't want to admit, is that more than the floatyness wich only gave an unfair advantage to fox, falco and sheik, the real reasno everyone ·semi-hates· brawl is because of the balanced stuff.

they got used to think that strenght is not related to weight and power.

what I've noticed, for instance, one of my friends and my bro, played melee as peach. of course, they got used to the super-quick buletproof tank she was, with the unexplained power of DK and the speed of marth. Now, brawl comes, and they lose everytime because they try frontal colisions with my bowser( even if we get both hit, they always take more damage).

That's what everyone I think cannot see or admit, altought my bro already found a solution, switching from power peach to speed peach. Thats' what everyone has to do, just adapt.

Or Go back playing melee, if you only play with fox in final destination, why did you buy a wii in the firs time?

(no offense, by the way)

Zephirah

Smash Cadet
That's what everyone I think cannot see or admit, altought my bro already found a solution, switching from power peach to speed peach. Thats' what everyone has to do, just adapt.
(no offense, by the way)
Man that is so truth I used to play as Shiek but now... I just don´t like her, but I keep my mouth shut and continue playing :D.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
ssb64 is IMHO better than Melee. It's not based on empirical evidence because it's an OPINION.

Brawl is IMHO better than Melee in some aspects but falls far short in others. In different ways, they're balanced. Again, not based on empirical evidence for the same reason.

To each his own.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Maybe the developers noticed that some people like 64 better, but others liked Melee better.. So he chose a middle ground?

Seems faster than 64 but slower than Melee to me.

-Onyx

Matsuyama

Smash Cadet
No, Brawl is a lot slower than 64. Why? L-Canceling. You don't have it, thus you're forced to deal with lag or forced to use moves that that no lag. While Brawl may have been slowed down from Melee, as a comparison to 64, it's still slower in the aspect of not being able to cancel the lag. THAT'S why it's a bad thing.

Nitoheilapine

Smash Apprentice
Oh c'mon. The only time I realize floatiness is when I'm playing a typical floaty character...

Lucario, Jigglypuff, Kirby all come to mind.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Brawl plays nothing like ssb64. 64 was an almost exclusively offensive oriented and combo heavy game. The only thing they have in common is their floaty feel. See:

Hitstun: Very long in 64, very short in brawl
Shield stun: Very long in 64, very short in brawl
L-cancelling: NO LAG in 64, doesn't exist in brawl
Throws: Kill in 64, don't kill or combo well in brawl.

As you can see, this makes smash 64 an extremely offensive oriented game, where 0-death combos are much easier. Brawl is almost the opposite.

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
This game... is the best game.... EVER! I have a friend that only played as Fox in Melee (because Fox was in the top tier... thats the only reason), and now every character he tries to play as he loses with.... against me or my other friend. It's just great to hear the guy scream and say how much "this game sucks!".

In other news, the only problem I see is the online not yet being up to par. I hope to see and end to lag and connection errors.

I would also GREATLY APPRECIATE it if Sakurai let you and your friend (the one in the room with you) play together on team battles against 2 other random opponents. Please please please!!

-sonny-

Smash Journeyman
I play SSB64 competitively, and I do not think that it is AT ALL like Brawl. You don't really feel like SSB64 is floaty because it's still pretty fast paced, even if you do jump really high.

rockmace

Smash Apprentice
This game... is the best game.... EVER! I have a friend that only played as Fox in Melee (because Fox was in the top tier... thats the only reason), and now every character he tries to play as he loses with.... against me or my other friend. It's just great to hear the guy scream and say how much "this game sucks!".

In other news, the only problem I see is the online not yet being up to par. I hope to see and end to lag and connection errors.

I would also GREATLY APPRECIATE it if Sakurai let you and your friend (the one in the room with you) play together on team battles against 2 other random opponents. Please please please!!

Haha
some "good players" (actually, everyone I know personally) who said were very good at smash, simply fail at this game. they built their abilities on game errors and not in character abilities. Haha!.

It really warms our hearths right?

Zycor

Smash Apprentice
You people sure weren't this impatient for Melee to evolve, when Link was considered a very good character and Wave Dashing didn't even come to mind or any of the other advanced techniques that came out many years after release.

Also, Melee pros not loving this game? Tell that to Gimpy.

pwnzorz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ABlackMage
3DS FC
0103-9129-9741
Yes, brawl's physics are very much like 64, just a lot less lag in between moves. This is not a bad thing, but there are differences from melee.

Mr. M

Smash Journeyman
Pensacola, FL Wargh! King Dedede, how dare you be
What I don't get is why people can't get it in their head that they actually have to think further then HURR ATTACK! when actually being on the offensive now. Sure, moves now have more lag sense L-cancelling is out, but have you actually thought further then "Gonna give me lag/not gonna give me lag?" Like Punishment/Reward system? It helps ya know.

Whatever, it gives me an edge over these so called pros. :laugh:

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Oh dear.

they built their abilities on game errors and not in character abilities. Haha!.
They built there abilities using everything possible within the game. That doesn't change with brawl. The willingness to learn and utilize everything that is possible... I'm sorry, there are already so many great melee players who are now disgustingly good at Brawl. Not a coincidence.

rockmace

Smash Apprentice
Oh dear.

They built there abilities using everything possible within the game. That doesn't change with brawl. The willingness to learn and utilize everything that is possible... I'm sorry, there are already so many great melee players who are now disgustingly good at Brawl. Not a coincidence.

glad that you point my bad choice of words. And yes, is not imposible being good at brawl, with all those great characters, just saying that the abismal difference, wich I can personally testify ( I started playing melee about 6 months ago, so everyone had pretty much practice/tech advantage over me) , has gone, thus cleraly causing some underconfiedence in some not so pro players.

Top Bottom