• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So, do you think the alternates are going to be different trainers?

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I think that people are putting way too much hope into this happening.

I'd love for it to happen, and it seems logical. But I have a very strong feeling that the alternate costumes will be nothing but PT dressing in different colors, and the Pokemon having accessories.

d0c926

Smash Journeyman
Female trainier (pokemon will get ribbons)
Team Rocket (hopefully gets in, pokemon gets sunglasses, or have darken skin) can't really think of 1

someguy12

Smash Journeyman
O.K. just for the record, even if the alts are different trainer, like trainers from different generations, (which would be really cool) there is no way that there are changing the pokes.

I mean, come on people.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Anyone that thinks Trainer won't have alts equal to other trainers should realize something:

If that was indeed the case, the character would of been named "Red" and not "Pokemon Trainer".

And of course the Pokemon won't change, but the trainer has a high probability of having his alts be Green and Blue from Red/Green games, and Possibly a Yellow trainer to round it out. Maybe 3rd gen trainer to match Green Pikachu.

Elec Man EXE

Smash Apprentice
I'd say there's a very good chance that costumes will actually be different trainers. What other reason to have the name "Pokemon Trainer" and not "Red"? Seems the most likely reason to me. The only other reason being the fact that you can name your trainer in the games, and they didn't want to restrict you to calling him Red, but the alternate trainer theory is better IMO.

As for the pokemon themselves... they will NOT change pokemon. I can practically guarantee that. There are a few that could work as alternates (Grotle for Ivysaur, for instance), but for the most part the starters are all way too different, and would require them to make new models. May as well make them seperate characters, if you're going to go through the work of making an entirely new model, and one that could require animation changes and such to boot. Especially since nothing matches up with Charizard and his ability to fly.

They obviously have to do something to make them look different, though. One of the alts could get the shiny pokemon. Bows seem likely for a female trainer. Other various costume items, like Pika and Jiggly get. Stuff like that.

Mido02

Smash Apprentice
do you guys think there will be a second playable pokemon trainer? this would make for some great ssbb/pokemon fights! like picture it, they already have Pikachu, Charizard, Ivysaur, Jigglypuff, and Squirtle(hopefully Mewtwo gets back) but how bout add another triple team of pokemon possibly the starters from the most recent pokemon game Diamond/Pearl. I was thinking maybe for the pokemon it should be Turtwig, Monferno, and Empoleon. this would give a nice unique differance from the previous Pokemon Trainer. and it would be a sweet rival battle, old vs new, who will win??? as for the name possibly Pokemon Trainer 2? or Female Pokemon Trainer? i dunno

as for the actualy topic i wanna see Charizard with a wreastling belt, bow, and a darker color tan with a scar on his face.
Ivysaur with different color bulb like purple, blue, yellow.
and Squirtle with sunglasses, scarf, and ash's hat backwards!

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
No. No more Pokemon trainers. That idea's been brought up a bunch of times, let it die.

And as Andrew said (I think it was Andrew?), I really really doubt that Red will change into the other trainers from other generations. Maybe colour wise, he will have their colours but that's it, and he especially won't change into a female. Sakurai already referred to Red as a he several times, so it's clear that Pokemon Trainer is a boy and will only be a boy. If Red was going to be able to change into a girl, then it would have been mentioned when he was first shown, and the girl would've been a part of the profile picture.

For those using the name "Pokemon Trainer" as an argument for why there will be alternate trainers, please stop. I beg of you. I'm going to set things straight right now. To be honest with you, Red is American canon. In the Japanese version of Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal and in Pokemon Stadium 2, "Red" is simply known as Boy Trainer ???. That's right. He has no official name. Beginning in Ruby/Sapphire, main characters began to get real names, with Yuuki and Haruka (known as Brendan and May in English) and Kouki and Hikari (Lucas and Dawn) in Diamond and Pearl.

So Sakurai really is just sticking to what the Japanese know. He is simply calling him Pokemon Trainer because unlike the R/S and D/P heroes, he does not have an official name. His official name might very well be Satoshi, considering he's named after the original creator and the rival Shigeru is named after Shigeru Miyamoto. But that would bring them into anime territory, so it's a lot easier to refer to him as Pokemon Trainer, and we know the Japanese did want Red because Satoshi was the third most wanted character Pokemon-wise for Melee.

So yeah...even though Red doesn't fight himself, Sakurai made it clear that he is Pokemon Trainer, and the FR/LG one at that, so I doubt Red will actually change into any other trainer, but will simply take on their colours at least.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
No. No more Pokemon trainers. That idea's been brought up a bunch of times, let it die.

And as Andrew said (I think it was Andrew?), I really really doubt that Red will change into the other trainers from other generations. Maybe colour wise, he will have their colours but that's it, and he especially won't change into a female. Sakurai already referred to Red as a he several times, so it's clear that Pokemon Trainer is a boy and will only be a boy. If Red was going to be able to change into a girl, then it would have been mentioned when he was first shown, and the girl would've been a part of the profile picture.

For those using the name "Pokemon Trainer" as an argument for why there will be alternate trainers, please stop. I beg of you. I'm going to set things straight right now. To be honest with you, Red is American canon. In the Japanese version of Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal and in Pokemon Stadium 2, "Red" is simply known as Boy Trainer ???. That's right. He has no official name. Beginning in Ruby/Sapphire, main characters began to get real names, with Yuuki and Haruka (known as Brendan and May in English) and Kouki and Hikari (Lucas and Dawn) in Diamond and Pearl.

So Sakurai really is just sticking to what the Japanese know. He is simply calling him Pokemon Trainer because unlike the R/S and D/P heroes, he does not have an official name. His official name might very well be Satoshi, considering he's named after the original creator and the rival Shigeru is named after Shigeru Miyamoto. But that would bring them into anime territory, so it's a lot easier to refer to him as Pokemon Trainer, and we know the Japanese did want Red because Satoshi was the third most wanted character Pokemon-wise for Melee.

So yeah...even though Red doesn't fight himself, Sakurai made it clear that he is Pokemon Trainer, and the FR/LG one at that, so I doubt Red will actually change into any other trainer, but will simply take on their colours at least.
I know it sounds unlikely that Sakurai wouldn't show us a female trainer if there was one but I know someone suggested possible unlockable alternate costumes in which wouldn't make sense for Sakurai to show. It might seem unlikely but so would My music or stage editor and alternate costumes are common in fighting games. Plus it only makes sense to call Red a he since he can't call him a it.

Also it should be noticed that Satoshi wanted to put a female alternate character in the original pokemon red/blue but couldn't because of technology limitations (that's where the lass from the official art comes from, you know the girl with the squirtle 0_0). So doing so would be a shoutout to the games. But who knows we'll find out when Brawl comes out *shrugs*

Top Bottom