• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So, Fox still hasn't won a national, right?

Landry

Smash Ace
I knew someone was gonna make this thread, lol.

Good **** Mango!

edit: Mango used Falco against SFAT. It doesn't count!!

All_Characters

Smash Apprentice
Well technically he used Falco vs SFAT right? FRAUD

Edit: Funny thing is, in those matches vs SFAT, SFAT was the closest person to eliminating Mango in the entire tournament. 2 matches facing elimination mango had 130%ish on 2nd last stock.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
Well technically he used Falco vs SFAT right? FRAUD

Edit: Funny thing is, in those matches vs SFAT, SFAT was the closest person to eliminating Mango in the entire tournament. 2 matches facing elimination mango had 130%ish on 2nd last stock.
Axe wasn't closer? They were 1-1 last stock iirc.

Chroma

Smash Apprentice
No man Fox is a terrible overplayed character. Totally not able to win nationals. Mango would've never made it past koopatroopa without mario.

Super

Smash Apprentice
First time in ever lol. And yet it feels more it was just Mango.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
First time in ever lol. And yet it feels more it was just Mango.
I see this point in various forms to try and invalidate results which don't fit people's tier agenda all the time. Fun fact: No melee character will ever win a national without the player being ****ing amazing as well.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
LMAO

to think there are people STILL saying fox isn't the best in the game

LMAO

Bones0

Smash Legend
If the fact that Mango, dominant top player since '09, won with Fox is what convinces you the character is the best, then you're an idiot. I'm not saying you have to think Fox is bad (though I maintain he's still overrated), but Evo's results in no way proves how good or bad he is as a character. Mango just outplayed his opponents (you know, the thing that actually determines results). No one claimed Peach was the best when Armada was dominating the scene, so Mango winning a single international as Fox, only after multiple attempts mind you, shouldn't indicate that either.

I'd hope everyone would be more inclined to focus Melee's continued record of ridiculously good character diversity:
Fox, ICs, Puff, Peach, Falco, Sheik/Marth/Fox, Doc, and Sheik

8 different characters in top 8 sets, ARE YOU SERIOUS? That's retardedly good representation, especially for a 12-year-old game, and an amazing example of how Melee's depth and skill gap are the true determining factors over character matchups, tiers, and even badly skewed representation at entry level (spacies being super popular at low level without that carrying much weight into late bracket).

Super

Smash Apprentice
Fox is still the best in the game, but acting like he is so freakin godly when this is the first time he won a national/international in 12 years is absurd. Armada winning doesn't make Peach top tier, just as Mango winning with Fox doesn't mean Fox wins tournies. His popularity relative to his big wins is pretty unimpressive. He's still the best char because of his skill ceiling though.

-Ran

Smash Master
The average placing of the characters spread out between the top 92 is rather close.

Fox - 39th
Falco - 39th.
Jigglypuff - 38th.
Iceclimbers - 35th.
Peach - 46th.
Marth - 40th.
Shiek - 37th.

Accelerator

Smash Apprentice
If the fact that Mango, dominant top player since '09, won with Fox is what convinces you the character is the best, then you're an idiot. I'm not saying you have to think Fox is bad (though I maintain he's still overrated), but Evo's results in no way proves how good or bad he is as a character. Mango just outplayed his opponents (you know, the thing that actually determines results). No one claimed Peach was the best when Armada was dominating the scene, so Mango winning a single international as Fox, only after multiple attempts mind you, shouldn't indicate that either.

I'd hope everyone would be more inclined to focus Melee's continued record of ridiculously good character diversity:

8 different characters in top 8 sets, ARE YOU SERIOUS? That's retardedly good representation, especially for a 12-year-old game, and an amazing example of how Melee's depth and skill gap are the true determining factors over character matchups, tiers, and even badly skewed representation at entry level (spacies being super popular at low level without that carrying much weight into late bracket).
Great post. I was very happy about all the character diversity featured in such a large tournament.

Luink

Smash Rookie
fox is a better character so there are a lot of fox players(cause they say " I hear fox is the best so i takeit cause i wana win ")and so there are more good players but thath dsnt mean that the other characters dont have his own good players,at the end no one knows what is gonna happen in tourneys ...

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
fox is not the best in the game. it goes falco. sheik. fox.

Fox has the shortest limbs of all the top tiers. he just happens to be fast. no one has control of fo the way mang0 has today. and even still just watch his matches for axe, vs wobbles, etc.

his short limbs are how he gets bodied. very easy to misspace something. then he gets chaingrabbed combo'ed etc. put it this way, who do low tiers have the best chance against when you go through every top tier.

danieljosebatista

Smash Journeyman
Mango is the first in our recent metagame to effectively use Fox at a high enough level of consistency and skill to take a national. Pretty cool if you ask me. Mad props to Wobbles for his performance also, way too good.

Divinokage

Smash Legend

It shows that the game is fairly balanced I'd say, nothing more.

Top Bottom