• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I always noticed a problem with snobbery in this group...

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Yep, snottiness. And because I'm pointing this out, I can and will expect posts like this:

"Well what are you still doing here? If you don't like this place, then leave!"
"Hypocrite!"
"Can't handle that you're an idiot!"
"This is the Internet!"

Because as I noticed, and I do it as well, I've seen members who have high post counts belittle those who don't have post counts for whatever reason. It could have been that the newer members were unaware, or maybe they were misinformed, or maybe they wanted to leave a good impression.

But whatever the reason, sometimes they are flamed or belittled. Now obviously, I'm not talking about those who come here just to troll. I'm talking about good to honest members.

Heck, I remembered when I first posted a topic. I was flamed to Hell and back. Even now, when I'm basically wrong about ONE, just one situation, I'm seen as ignorant when they obviously don't know me. Hence forth, why I sometimes call this place 'Snobboards.' Childish, I know. But the flames do get annoying.

And again, I say, I do this kind of crap as well. So I'm gonna try to stop. It won't be easy, I'm naturally impaitent and sarcastic. Also, just because it's the Internet doesn't mean you're talking to bots. You're talking to other people who still have feelings. They might not kill themselves over it, but they will be upset.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
My high post count on this internet message board makes me a superior human being to others without a large post count.

DeadtoSin

Smash Apprentice
Well, I haven't really run into anything like that yet. I do agree with you though, people on message boards do get a big head at times when they are talking to a newer member. I've done it before, so thanks for your post!

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
I make fun of people who post ******** messages. However, I do not have a high post count. I really only post intelligently or when I see something that is too good to pass up.

I can't stand some people who think they own because they have over 2,000 posts. Especially when they post like a tard and can't even use grammar. (coughcoughBaileycough)

You pinpointed the issue here, the fact that people think the internet is completely impersonal and they can technically say what they want without risk of punishment.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
I haven't encountered anything of the sort, luckily. I have seen one person in particular who's kinda **** to people.

Of course, I rarely make topics on any forum I go to, so it helps. I've actually made some awesome friends through this board =)

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
This one guy here, Cashed, total ****. Seriously, I think he cries while playing Halo because he thinks he's so awesome. And he's like 14 forever. He probably sold his soul to the devil for youth. What a prick.

Kitten

Smash Journeyman
We will break you, you little 1,200 post *******. I'm gonna stick you in a cage and fill it full of rats until you snap and blame your small post counted lover for this rebellious topic posting.

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won victory over himself. He loved Big Postcount.

Kitten

Smash Journeyman
While most of the people in this topic were joking, there are always going to be people who use the internet to make themselves feel big and powerful. There's not much anyone can do about it. Most people just ignore it.

cF=)

Smash Lord
Are you seriously 21 and complaining about the internet?

Yoshistar64

Smash Journeyman
Snobbery such as your example in the first post exists everywhere on the internet.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
I really haven't seen any of this post count elitism in over a year. I see plenty of complaining about it, though.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
We will break you, you little 1,200 post *******. I'm gonna stick you in a cage and fill it full of rats until you snap and blame your small post counted lover for this rebellious topic posting.

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won victory over himself. He loved Big Postcount.
Don't spoil him. He hasn't made it to Part Three, yet.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I say, the common folk seem to not realise that they are but peasants. Maybe if you scrubbed yourself up, purchased some clothing not made from rats, you could be concidered middle lower class. *Chortle*

Oh the commoners never cease to entertain me.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Yeah, we have a problem with snobbery -- we don't like to see it.

I would really be interested in seeing the posts about which you're talking. I have seen this on smashboards before, but the only experiences have been few and far between, really. Every now and then I'll be pretty sarcastic in a topic that doesn't make any sense or is obviously factually incorrect, but other than that, nopes.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Again, thanks for poving my point, guys. You guys are right. You deserve to be arrogant just because:

You're fan of a fighting game series
You're on a computer. So of course you're gonna have (Internet) bravery because few people have seen your face or names

WaterTails

Smash Lord
Big deal! Is it really that bad for people to have an ego? I'm sure you have an ego as well, but made this to call out the people who are superior to you. Also, do you not have any sense of sarcasm?

Go back to your 4-chan, gamefaqs, or your green-party meetings, you filthy liberal!

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Big deal! Is it really that bad for people to have an ego? I'm sure you have an ego as well, but made this to call out the people who are superior to you. Also, do you not have any sense of sarcasm?

Go back to your 4-chan, gamefaqs, or your green-party meetings, you filthy liberal!
If you read the first post in this topic, you would have known I have said that I do it as well. >_>

And just because one has an ego doesn't mean it needs to be over-inflated.

And yes, I do have a sense of sarcasm. But I didn't feel the need for people to be sarcastic in this topic.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Well what are you still doing here? If you don't like this place, then leave! You're such a hypocrite! I guess you can't handle that you're an idiot! Besides, this is the Internet!

Andromeda

Smash Lord
Yeah, I've seen a lot of people flaming here and there, not only on SWF, but on almost every place I visit. You really can't afford to do one thing wrong. But what is to be expected? After all, it's the internet, it really is.

Top Bottom