• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I explored a couple ATs, and...

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
The only one I could really get down was Glide Tossing, and Lucario's Reverse Double Team. Though sometimes the Glide Toss doesn't work and I end up just tossing in place instead of gliding across the stage. Doing it too late or two fast? Maybe, but the only way to use it from my current experience of it is from a standstill position. I also tried working with B Reversals

Then I tried Smash-Boosting with Snake, Sonic, and Bowser. I could not get it off. My idea of it is that using it depends on fast reflexes (with a Nintendo Gamecube controller). I dunno what it is about it, but I could not Smash-Boost at all.

I know ATs in most cases aren't all too important, with the exception with Ukemi, which is hard enough for me to do as is, but I would like to try getting into Snak-Dashing with Bowser.

Let me explain things. I have two teams of Brawl Mains: a Main Team and a Heavy Team.

My main team consists of at least of character of each weight-class. In alphabetical order.

Bowser, Lucario, Pikachu, Sonic, and Wolf.

My Heavy team, as it implies, consists mostly of Heavies (3 of them to be exact).

Bowser, Ganondorf, Ike, Lucario, Meta-Knight

Bowser, Ganondorf, and Ike are the ones I would like to Smash Boost with.

Champion_Link

Smash Cadet
The timing is different for each character, for instance in the case of snake you have to wait half a second before doing the upsmash. You are using c stick down to up and z right?

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
What I am actually doing is initiating the D-Attack with with A and then simultaneously pressing C-up. That may be the problem.

Also, I don't make a habit of using the Gamecube Controller that often. I usually use the Wiimote-Nunchuk combo. I find doing Aerial B Reversals and B Reversals out of a Dash to be a bit of a headache. I use the Wiimote-Nunchuk because I find it easier to short-hop, while making it harder or impossible to use some ATs.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Just learn to shorthop on a Gcube. Worth it, even if you use the techs once.

SHing in melee was 4 frames for my character. How do you think I felt?

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
The only one I could really get down was Glide Tossing, and Lucario's Reverse Double Team. Though sometimes the Glide Toss doesn't work and I end up just tossing in place instead of gliding across the stage. Doing it too late or two fast? Maybe, but the only way to use it from my current experience of it is from a standstill position. I also tried working with B Reversals

Then I tried Smash-Boosting with Snake, Sonic, and Bowser. I could not get it off. My idea of it is that using it depends on fast reflexes (with a Nintendo Gamecube controller). I dunno what it is about it, but I could not Smash-Boost at all.

I know ATs in most cases aren't all too important, with the exception with Ukemi, which is hard enough for me to do as is, but I would like to try getting into Snak-Dashing with Bowser.

Let me explain things. I have two teams of Brawl Mains: a Main Team and a Heavy Team.

My main team consists of at least of character of each weight-class. In alphabetical order.

Bowser, Lucario, Pikachu, Sonic, and Wolf.

My Heavy team, as it implies, consists mostly of Heavies (3 of them to be exact).

Bowser, Ganondorf, Ike, Lucario, Meta-Knight

Bowser, Ganondorf, and Ike are the ones I would like to Smash Boost with.
If Im not mistaken.. If all your items are off. Which one of those characters can glide toss anyways? Seeing as how none of them except for snake have projectiles... Well Lucario's aura sphere doesn't count.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
people...switch to the GC controller, it's the ultimate way of playing this game

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
people...switch to the GC controller, it's the ultimate way of playing this game
People.. Switch to the GameCube Controller, it's the ultimate way of playing this game.

(Yeah I was thinking since you used an acronym for Gamecube they wouldn't understand it and go buy some Xbox 360 controller since they are stupid enough to play with the wii remote so I had to spell it out)

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
People.. Switch to the GameCube Controller, it's the ultimate way of playing this game.

(Yeah I was thinking since you used an acronym for Gamecube they wouldn't understand it and go buy some Xbox 360 controller since they are stupid enough to play with the wii remote so I had to spell it out)
The Gamecube Controller feels too stiff to me. 'Nuff Said.

Wiimote and Nunchuk is my ultimate way to play this game.

To the people who just don't agree with that, I am sorry to have to say these two words.

Too bad.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmsb1hzZUiA

pretty sure he doesn't need to go buy a 360 controller even though hes dumb enough to play with the wii/ nunchuck.

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
I am not dumb for using the Wiimote-Nunchuk, it is just my preference, deal with it. Note, I use the Wavebird Wireless Controller for the Gamecube Controls. I dislike them because the controls feel stiff for me, because I am used to, and have the most experience with the Wiimote and Nunchuk. If you cannot deal with the fact I prefer the Wiimote and Nunchuk controls to the Gamecube Controller. That, I am afraid, is your failure.

Have a nice day.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Well I am fairly certain none of the characters you listed is it even worth trying to do a boost smash with. As for glide tossing not every character can glide toss. I know that Lucario can, but that's the only character that you listed that I am familiar with using.

And you NEED to use a Gamecube controller if you want to win. You can be good with the Wii-mote and Nunchuck, but without the C-Stick you cannot perfectly space your aerials, and that WILL kill you in higher end play.

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
Well I am fairly certain none of the characters you listed is it even worth trying to do a boost smash with. As for glide tossing not every character can glide toss. I know that Lucario can, but that's the only character that you listed that I am familiar with using.

And you NEED to use a Gamecube controller if you want to win. You can be good with the Wii-mote and Nunchuck, but without the C-Stick you cannot perfectly space your aerials, and that WILL kill you in higher end play.
I don't even know how to space my aerials, or know what you mean. That being said, I guess that makes me a noob from your standpoint. Okay then. Maybe instead of talking about controller preferences, maybe this discussion can be about helping out a fellow player? Like maybe helping me be privy with all the important terms of the game like DI for example, I do not know jack about it, or gimping, or many of the other terms, and despite the fact the AT thread gets in-depth about fox-trotting and other such things, I don't know what they mean or how they work.

So instead of controller-jibber-jabber, how about some helpful tips? *Slightly irritated.*

The only ones I could get right off were glide-tossing and Reverse Double Team.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
These controller preferences are attempts to make you a better player, at least in these stages. Some people like DanGR overcome controller differences. GCube is still probably the best choice, they just didn't use it.

It isn't too late for you to learn. Try it.

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
*Very irritated sigh* Okay, maybe I will do that. For now though, can we please get off the subject of controller prefs? Like explaining to me the important terms to know in Smash? People keep using so many terms on other forums that I can't keep track of them all. So far Gimping and DI'ing are the ones I can recall, as well as fox-trotting. Despite the in-depth given in the AT thread, I am still confused about it.

I think I pulled off one of the other ATs in the test zone for the controller set up, and Mario ended up doing something different than a normal backflip, he went up into the air and began spinning around as he jumped, like he was doing his Mario Tornado but his arms were spread out and his hands were open. I couldn't get him to do that again.

So, yeah. Can you guys please explain to me the terms referring to certain aspects of gameplay, or refer me to a list that explains them?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Gimping is killing an opponent without hitting them off the blast-zone. It's basically screwing them over when they're off the stage so they can't get back.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Gimping is killing an opponent without hitting them off the blast-zone. It's basically screwing them over when they're off the stage so they can't get back.
Actually it is killing prematurely. If a MK Shuttle Loops me off stage at 60%, and I die on the blastzone, he still "gimped" me.

Gimping is a normally avoidable kill at a low %

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
Thanks. As for the Gamecube Controller. I'll work on it in Training Mode and online from time to time. I'll just the use the Wiimote and Nunchuk for today though and work with the GC-Con later.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
:o

I guess so then. I guess playing ROB has warped my idea of gimping as his game revolves around it.

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
So I tried a few battles with the Gamecube Controller...

Well, I won the first battle I entered with Meta-Knight (being in Corneria may have something to do with it), but what I didn't like is that I felt I was in a frantic state of mind just to hit most of my opponents, and more often than not in some occasions, I missed. Most of my hits came from hitting them into the wall on the backside of the Great Fox. Though the C-stick helped in that regard, and I felt C-sticking my smashes felt a little less laggy. Even so, it is going to take awhile for me to get used to try to use.

BurningCrusader777

Smash Journeyman

Set the pad to Smashes for a pseudo-C stick. That's what I do when I use Wiichuk on the occasion that a GC controller isn't available for use.

But this is beside the point...

Bowser, Ike, and Ganondorf don't have noticeable DACs. Use Dash -> Cstick down -> Up+Z for Snake's DAC.

Glide Tossing has a different timing for each character.

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
I would recommend the GC controller, but D-padding is a good alternative if you really don't want to play with the GC controller. Like everyone else said, Glide Toss's timing is different for each character. And DACUS is handy on characters that use it effectively like Snake and Sheik. Other than those 2 and Wario, and some other characters, you should not use it.

Top Bottom