• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I got 2 Hori Battle Pads...

CanadianTurtle

Smash Rookie
Okay, so a week ago, I pre-ordered 2 Hori Battle Pads (One Mario and one Luigi controller). For those who are wondering, this isn't the PDP Fight Pads. I'm talking about the Hori Gamecube controllers that are attached to your Wii mote and look very identical to official gamecube controller. Technically, they act as classic controllers.

I was forced to buy this because the upcoming adapter for Gamecube controllers isn't compatible in Wii mode. That really bothers me because I enjoy playing Brawl with a wired gamecube controller. But it is what it is, and so my next best option was to purchase these Hori controllers since they were the closest thing.

Appearance and Feel
Don't let the box art fool you. It may look like a gamecube contoller, but it absolutely does NOT feel like one. It is shaped like a gamecube controller but it is definitely made with Hori's parts. The plastic feels cheap and the controller is very light. The weight is similar in comparison to a Classic Controller Pro.

For those who were wondering if this was going to be a controller where Nintendo supplied the parts to Hori, I'm sorry to say that you're mistaken. These parts are definitely not from the official gamecube controllers. The c-stick, analog stick, and pretty much every button has this "hard clicky" feel (I'll get to this topic later)

However, this is lightyears ahead better than those PDP Fight Pads, I can tell you that.

Functionality (and Input lag)
Okay, so this is where all my negativity stems from. I used to play with wired gamecube controllers on the Wii, and moving from that to this feels quite strange. For those who use wired gamecube controllers, you will definitely feel some input lag when transitioning to this controller. This is what hurts me the most. I used to be able to do some really cool/effective techniques in Brawl with my wired controller, but I just couldn't grasp those techniques with this controller. It really hindered my gameplay style, and I'm forced to play differently.

Sometimes I even have problems dashing in different directions. My character would walk instead of run, even when I tilted the analog stick "hard." Also, the buttons have this hard clicky feel which makes it quite hard to short-hop.

Sorry if this feels like a rant...
I wanted this to be a great controller to use, but the input lag really kills it for me. I also play on a monitor that has extremely little display lag. I play on the Phillip 244E HD Monitor and this monitor has some of the best response times for video games (better than any HDTV/LED I know of). So I know for a fact that the input lag isn't being caused by my display.

Anyways, just some words. If you play with wired controllers and move onto this, you'll definitely feel a negative change in your gameplay style. However, if you're playing casual or you're already used to the classic controller pro, then moving to this will feel more natural and less bothersome.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Thanks for the write-up! It's too bad it wasn't all you were expecting. I was considering buying one but I think I'll pass now. I used to play with an official Nintendo CCP for Brawl but I found using wired Gamecube controllers far more responsive and I think I'll stick with that in all Smash games, until I get my hands on a Wii U Pro.

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Hori made something this bad? I'm surprised. I've always heard good things about Hori. Well I wasn't planning on getting these anyways.

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the write-up! It's too bad it wasn't all you were expecting. I was considering buying one but I think I'll pass now. I used to play with an official Nintendo CCP for Brawl but I found using wired Gamecube controllers far more responsive and I think I'll stick with that in all Smash games, until I get my hands on a Wii U Pro.
Don't get a Wii U Pro Controller. Not for Smash at least. They're extremely awkward and don't feel anywhere near as good as a Gamecube controller.

CanadianTurtle

Smash Rookie
@ Pazx Pazx
Yea, I'm actually really disappointed because I was looking forward to getting into competitive smash with both Brawl and SmashBros.U. I know brawl is underplayed but I just really love the game and want to get good just for the fun of it. I've heard of people getting good with classic controllers so I thought these controllers would be a good alternative, but I was sadly mistaken.

Its just not fun playing with the input lag, it really holds me back from doing my best. And that's what makes me want to get rid of these. I never thought that input lag would be this problematic. Also, I even ran into problems when it comes to dashing left or right, and rolling left or right. Sometimes I would go in the opposite direction because the controller is slow at registering the inputs.

It feels so bitter because I want to play Brawl, but at the same time I don't want to deal with the problematic controller lag. So I've decided to sell these controllers as well as my copy of Brawl. Instead, I'll have to fork more money on the new Smash and the official gamecube adapter + 2 controllers. This is very frustrating. This could have all been avoided if the gamecube adapter worked on Wii-mode.

@ Malkasaur Malkasaur
I agree, Hori has an excellent track record of quality products. But these controllers definitely feel less durable because of the cheap plastic that they're made of, and the fact that it connects to the Wii-mote make it less appealing. They probably just missed the mark with this one.

Also, I was wondering if the input lag on the Pro Controller is as bothersome as these classic/Hori controllers. I know it's wireless, but maybe the technology that Nintendo has used for their first party controllers is less of a problem. Can someone confirm in the coming weeks if playing on the Pro controller is just as good as playing on a wired gamecube controller? The only reason I ask is because the Pro controllers are made within the Nintendo company.

shapular

Smash Ace
Also, I was wondering if the input lag on the Pro Controller is as bothersome as these classic/Hori controllers. I know it's wireless, but maybe the technology that Nintendo has used for their first party controllers is less of a problem. Can someone confirm in the coming weeks if playing on the Pro controller is just as good as playing on a wired gamecube controller? The only reason I ask is because the Pro controllers are made within the Nintendo company.
I played in a tournament tonight using the Wii U Pro Controller. It doesn't lag at all. The main problem I have with it is that the grips are shaped weird (too small I think), so it's hard to have your thumbs on the face buttons and your fingers on all the triggers without it feeling weird. It's probably something you can get used to. It's a little hard to get used to the right stick being on top instead of under the buttons, but that'll just take some practice. As for the quality of the controller itself, the sticks and the buttons feel great, and like I said before, there's no input lag.

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
You should buy the Mayflash Gamecube adapter. One end has a gamecube port, and the other a long cord with a classic controller plug. For me it worked well, but if you end up at a point where the adapter only sends the input of moving one specific way, don't be suprised. This cost me several battles against my brother, who uses a wiimote by choice. There's no way to fix it, but it seemingly just left one day. I play project M on both a family edition wii and a Wii U, so the adapter is extremely useful, it also works with Wavebird, and from what i've seen, there's no input lag at all.(No i'm not sponsored)

KEWB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KEWB99
3DS FC
4511-0666-0442
Kind of late now, but if I were you I wouldn't have sold off Brawl. I mean you could always buy it again at a later date I suppose, but there are still tons of controller options for Wii mode. I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to patch in support for the GameCube adapter at some point either.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I think the PDP Fight Pad is actually quite nice :3 I'd still prefer a gamecube controller, but the PDP Fight Pad is very responsive overall.

IDK about the Hori pad, but I heard it was better...guess not XD

GhostBandicoot

Smash Rookie
These are what I wonder about when considering using the hori batle pad (could soder gamecube joysticks to fix that problem, I'm after the l and r triggers on the hori because there is no light shield in sm4sh, Project M, and brawl)

Instead of wireless, obviously:

Classic controller to USB http://www.amazon.com/WII-CLASSIC-CONTROLLER-TO-USB-Nintendo/dp/B003711698

and plugging this into the gamecube adapter (maybe would have just as much lag with the conversion from classic to gamecube to usb) http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/17/adapter-turns-classic-controller-into-gamecube-controller/

Goon Link

Smash Rookie
Yeah I've been using my Luigi controller and the input lag for me is just terrible . like you said it holds you back from doing your best and it becomes very annoying at times.

Top Bottom