• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So, I played Melee for the 1st time in 2 years

K-Pat

Smash Rookie
Link to original post: [drupal=2588]So, I played Melee for the 1st time in 2 years[/drupal]

and my lottery still says I have a 0.00% chance of getting a new trophy. Well, at first it didn't, but after I left the screen to get more coins I came back and it said that. When I'd left the percentage was, like, 96%. WTF?

But other than that I realized how much I missed it... and how much I didn't remember XD It is SOOOO easy to die/kill in that game! Maybe because it's super fast, but I think it's also because all the characters are more balanced, and maybe also stronger in general (and their jumps are all higher, too o.o). I really love the individual target tests! I actually beat all of them during that day when I played it (I think last Sunday...) and I got a new stage :DD But I still couldn't beat the Events. But that's probably because I haven't played it in 2 years and am not used to it.

So yeah, I realized that I don't really miss it that much... XD I like the single-player in Melee a lot better, but I like the multi-player in Brawl better (DON'T KILL ME!). Yeah, it's slower, but it makes people like me who don't catch on easily at all to games like that be able to get good more easily... If that super long sentence made sense XD

So, I won't be going back to Melee, but at least I have a slightly better affinity for Brawl now :3 Well, Brawl+ I guess because that's all I've been playing since I got it (I HART textures (that don't make your game freeze)! And all the character's enhancements of course. I just wish they could have made Peach's 2nd jump at least half as high as her 1st jump).

Scott!

Smash Lord
Fun times. I played Melee for the first time in over a year a couple weekends ago. It was crazy. I was so incredibly bad at it. I couldn't short hop, and all of my Brawl habits were unhelpful. I tried to punish with Marth's Dancing Blade, only to realize... it's totally useless. I air dodge an attack... and then remember that it leaves me completely vulnerable. I try Link's tether recovery, and am pleasantly surprised when it works, but it not automatically going for the edge totally confused me pretty badly. It was just bad. And to think I was ever competent at this game. Not good in the way anyone on this site would consider good, but I at least could play it without being constantly reminded of how bad at it I was.

Also, I kind of like Peach's short jump now that I'm used to her. I never used her in Melee, and when I picked her up in Brawl, I considered her second jump a weakness. But it really doesn't hinder too much in the way of recovery. Hers is still very solid.

G

gian@!!

yah i totally agree. i thought about playing melee about a month ago saying "Yah, looking at all the combo videos got me started". but then i played it and remebered how decent the game was. Its a great game but i simply perfer brawl.
brawl is what i like better. Its something that they improved.
Melee still kicks asss, but somethings dont last forever.

yah i know. Im going to be yelled at for this.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
I've never played Melee. :(

I just wish they could have made Peach's 2nd jump at least half as high as her 1st jump).
Actually, her short 2nd jump has advantages too. Once you stop thinking, 'OMG it's so crap for recovery', you can unlock its true potential. It's a great spacing, evading and mindgame tool. Learn to love it. Let me give you an example. Let's say you and your opponent are both in the air, and they do an air attack (like, IDK, Sonic doing Bair or something). Your 2nd jump sends you just far enough to evade their attack, and allows you to quickly counterattack straight afterwards.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
after reading the first 2 posts I remembered how auto brawl was(not trying to bash it here). But I remember how everything just fit together like legos. I played melee today and even pulles off a triple knee combo today it wasn't just a push in place lego set with the how to guide. No it's like clay that you have to work with mold into place and when you twist it and form it no one helps you there's no step 3 if you don't want another knee use a upair.

I created something out of pure skill, that I have been trying for years to do and one day I created it today. I never got that in brawl I never earned anything or created anything, I never did the impossible, I never fielt pround but if I did play brawl i would no far because I have my mind tryed for smash to the point were I don't get mad and I am smooth in my movemnet and I never get up.

I can't get up II mind won't let me I once did 30 bellyflops off a diving board til I was forces to stop by the life gaurd.

skill is earned and you will know it

K-Pat

Smash Rookie

Actually, her short 2nd jump has advantages too. Once you stop thinking, 'OMG it's so crap for recovery', you can unlock its true potential. It's a great spacing, evading and mindgame tool. Learn to love it. Let me give you an example. Let's say you and your opponent are both in the air, and they do an air attack (like, IDK, Sonic doing Bair or something). Your 2nd jump sends you just far enough to evade their attack, and allows you to quickly counterattack straight afterwards.
Actually, I know what you mean because I use that a lot x3 But in Melee she was able to get around stages so much better... I could just double jump and float horizontally across an entire stage over an obstacle (the tower in P.P.'s castle for instance) while in Brawl you have to all 3 jumps and then just glide down... But you're right, it does have it's uses c:

-Axis-

Smash Journeyman

Isn't that reasoning null since you can always cancel your upward momentum during the double jump (in Melee)? Sure it's easier, but Melee has never been easier by any means.

Top Bottom